Searching for caches.

Yorkypudding

Hi,

I have cached now for a good two years and I love it I have met some amazing people, been to some great events and done many great caches.

When I started like others I made mistakes like hiding a cache in a wall.

Over time you learn many things like how other people hide their caches etc. At first I think we cache carefully but perhaps make mistakes like log wrong, forget to move a TB right.

Then after a while we may get very experienced or big headed and think we cant go wrong and not find it difficult to find a cache, for me I often just get to the location see what looks out of place and find the cache.

I also think we get blaze about searching. I have been guilty of this my self many a time rummaging for a cache and it looking a mess when I have done. Whacking the nettles down, pulling at the tree bark. I now make sure that I tidy any mess up and or cache a bit more carefully.

Now my little moan or observations but not a dig at anyone.

I have a cache called Easter Island its part of series of 3, they are not difficult its just a lovely valley and worth some caches. Today I had to replace it for the third time. At first the cache was hidden amongst some little stones, eventually everyone had problems finding it, when I went to sort it out it was in a differant place and the mess the stones had been left in made me feel ashamed.

So I replaced a new micro somewhere even easier and the pot was all camoflaged and I think, a good clue. No one had problems finding it but, the contents have got soaked due to logging in the rain.

So I go again and get a new pot, a sample pot if the fluid cant get out then surely none should get in lol. But I was surprised to find that all the clumps of grass around the edge of this little standing stone, have been pulled away, I tidied it all up but again felt very ashamed that cachers do this.

Its made think even more about how careful we need to be about the surroundings of our caches and in the future you wont know I have been to them lol.

I now re edit my log for the third time and I have had to be more adrupt and a bit patronising and i dont like doing that, I would have liked to think I didnt need to explain somethings out. I have instructed now that my clue is read before doing the cache to avoid more damage. My grammar, spelling etc is crap I know!

Now that feels a bit better how do you all feel about this?

Sarah Yorkypuddingxxx

Edited by Deceangi

How many UK Cachers are searching without ever reading the Cache Page? Or even the hint? I know it's a problem over here, mostly on Cache runs out of a Cachers local area. I no longer assume a searcher will read the detailed description I have written for a hide. And yes, there are areas that suffer because of this. I wish there was a solution to this problem, but I'm not holding my breath.

Not long ago we went looking for a micro that had been hidden in a niche at the base of a tree. We went on the day it was published and about 4 caching teams had got there before us. The area around the tree looked a mess - all the leaf litter and general stuff had been scraped away from all the hidey holes around the tree. Apart from making the place look awful, it really looked obvious that someone had been searching for somethgn there. Is this one of the reasons caches get muggled?

So we tidied that place up best we could. We always try and minimise the 'marks' we leave on the landscape if we can - pity other cachers don't. ;)

Lisa

For me this is the one down side of caching. You visit lovely places only to see that the area is getting slowly destroyed by searchers of the cache. At the risk of being a grumpy old git I have mentioned it in my posts when I have come across it and more often than not the cache owner is only too pleased to sort out the problem.

We should all practice leaving as little trace of our visits as possible.

Edit: Offending word removed. Peace is restored ;) ;)

As for the rest, it's hard to control what other people do, but a clear (to a cacher) hide, a simple but effective clue, good co-ords and a location and hide picked to be reasonably indestructible would all help. It's sad when caches get wet, lost or trashed but it is a part of the game and as a setter, you have to take them on board. The damage to an area is less acceptable and you should consider moving or archiving a cache if it's leading to spoiling its location. These are my opinions. Others are available ;)

Edited by Simply Paul

Surely some of this stems from the insistence of some people to stuff micros in wierd places in the middle of nowhere when a larger container would be more suitable. How would this help ? - a micro can be stuffed anywhere (and often are), a larger cache needs to be hidden in more traditional places and is therefore easier for an expereinced cacher to spot without causing any 'hunting damage'. A deviously hidden 35mm film cannister has it's urban place - but out in the country the discovery is of secondry importance to the walk, the views and hopefully a little bit of England that somebody else decided to share with the caching community. AKA - don't stick micros in the country and people won't dig up the land trying to find them ;) One at a time...

Not sure I approve of the p word on a family friendly forum.

But no one mentioned puzzle caches!

Seriously though, common sense should tell any cache owner that if they've hidden a cache in an area they believe could be damaged by those coming to seek it, that they should leave enough information about where the cache is or isn't hidden to minimise the chances of cachers damaging something whilst looking in the wrong place.

JMHO.

.......................... hopefully a little bit of England that somebody else decided to share with the caching community. ..............................

I think some of the other countries within the UNITED KINGDOM may be having the same problem???

It's a bit like trading down, you'll never stop it!! <_<:blink:

It was an agrestic reference - I always thought Scotland only to be full of rocks :( I don't want no trouble though so I'll change the statement to be "... a little bit of the British Isles that somebody else...." :huh:

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, Sorry about the P word I didnt realise id said that, Im from Yorkshire remember lol.

Douglasf you could be right with the micro thing, im not a big fan of them too but many places suit them, but it is the reason of the destruction.

Im affraid I just have more faith in our geocachers, then perhaps I should. I have explained in my cache page about being careful etc but I dont think we always read the pages properly. Especially if we are paperless caching. Arh well I did feel better after saying how I felt and its not something that will be solved overnight.

Yorkypudding

Leave no Trace

Leave No Trace Principles

The Leave No Trace Principles of outdoor ethics form the framework of Leave No Trace's message:

Plan Ahead and Prepare

Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces

Dispose of Waste Properly

Leave What You Find

Minimize Campfire Impacts

Respect Wildlife

Be Considerate of Other Visitors

<<<<<snipped read it at the linbk above>>>>>

Sometimes i think people are in too much of a rush to appreciate and look after the cache and its surroundings.

How many people hand on heart can say they regularly CITO ?

No idea what the word is that was edited out, but you can bet I have used it myself when I have found a cache with a monster trail of devastation up to it. You cannot do anything about footprints, but some cachers seem to bash their way towards caches breaking off small branches, scraping off bark, flattening the undergrowth as they go. I got very upset on visiting one particular cache where a large swathe of bluebells had been trampled into oblivion due to bad co-ords and non-specific clue, and then thoughtless cachers searching for the thing.

Although you would hope that cachers would not do this, we all know that they do. The only answer is to imagine was havoc a bunch of rubbish cachers could cause (nobody we know of course, but other cachers) when setting the cache and try to second guess them. After that, re-visit your cache after a few visits and if you see that there has been a problem, consider re-siting it elsewhere. Polite requests on cache pages don't seem to work. When I put one such request on a page it was treated with derision.

Edited by Alibags

You cannot do anything about footprints, but some cachers seem to bash their way towards caches breaking off small branches, scraping off bark, flattening the undergrowth as they go.

But Alison, I seem to remember you following me into the deepest unknown, when tracking down Alchemy Quest Mercury, and to remind you, part of your log went

Sometimes team caching just removes your ability to think things through for yourself, so with the light fading and us in a bit of hurry, we ended up loosing time by a bit of inpromptu jungle exploration, purely because none of us stopped to think it through. The swamp was stinky and full of stingy and spikey things, and the full complement of insect invaders was reached as some mozzies flew in to drink my blood. Today you can clearly read the word 'stupid' in braille on the bumps on my arm! Dur!!

I think? (I dont do that much)

That isnt it blue bells that actually spread by the fact that they have been trodden on although that is probably when they have finished flowering and ready to seed. I have seen flattened down crocus's recently and they are only around for 5 mins. Like I said I have certyainly been guilty of these things myself, but I will make sure Im more careful now.

Not placing a cache at the Easter Island is the way it may end up being but I do feel that would be such a shame. Its just one of those monumental things that stands out that aught to have a cache next to it. If it fails again it will certainly be going and I will re think its new home.

Anyone fancy a camping do in Edale in the summer?

Yorkypuddingxx

I dont think we always read the pages properly. Especially if we are paperless caching.

Yorkypudding

Its a shame when people don't read the cache pages. I go paperless caching but when i call up the co-ords of the next nearest cache I will read the page. Mainly because, quite often, the reason why a cache has been located somewhere is because the cache owner wants to bring you to a point of interest. Often the cache owner has also gone the extra mile and put some historical blurb on the cache page just helping to enrich the experience.

Cache with vigour, search with tenderness. Then go to the pub... :)

Hi Sarah

I look after a diary of camping events - it might be worth keeping in touch with me over when you think it might be...

There are mainly weekends in July and August without camping events planned so far, and I know two of the weekends in July have something pencilled in already.

I would be well up for a trip to Edale, provided it isn't at that dreadful site in Edale (can't remember the name of it!!)

Email me through my profile and let me know what you're thinking!

I'm new to geocaching but have not looked or found all that many yet, however we've already made a good point to repalce the cache then stand back and make sure everything it tidy.

I'm guessing microcaches areas are more likely to get pulled apart if they are not easily found.

IMO the larger caches are a lot more rewarding, especially if you have younger geocachers with you :(

You cannot do anything about footprints, but some cachers seem to bash their way towards caches breaking off small branches, scraping off bark, flattening the undergrowth as they go.

But Alison, I seem to remember you following me into the deepest unknown, when tracking down Alchemy Quest Mercury, and to remind you, part of your log went

Sometimes team caching just removes your ability to think things through for yourself, so with the light fading and us in a bit of hurry, we ended up loosing time by a bit of inpromptu jungle exploration, purely because none of us stopped to think it through. The swamp was stinky and full of stingy and spikey things, and the full complement of insect invaders was reached as some mozzies flew in to drink my blood. Today you can clearly read the word 'stupid' in braille on the bumps on my arm! Dur!!

You omit to mention the torrent of abuse your team heaped upon you for leading us in there too! Anyhow I find that once you have waded through knee deep stagnant swamp, the water tends to close up again and leaves no prints... unless you have been walking ON water again, Tony?

You omit to mention the torrent of abuse your team heaped upon you for leading us in there too! Anyhow I find that once you have waded through knee deep stagnant swamp, the water tends to close up again and leaves no prints... unless you have been walking ON water again, Tony?

But since I have crocked my right knee, I have had to put walking on water on hold for a couple of months. But I will be trying again once its fixed, so the art of straight lining will be back to the fore! :ph34r:

This post seems to have moved away from the original thread a little. Matt and I went out to a cache last week that had a micro hidden in an ivy covered tree. When we got to the site we found the tree with all of the ivy on the side facing the field completely torn away from ground level up to about 6ft and the micro exposed. Not only has damage been done but the micro will not last now it has no hiding place.

This evening then I have been out to another cache in a wooded area where the final was hidden under a rotting log. Within 100ft of where the gps pointed there was not a single tree stump that had not been upturned, nor a rotting log that had not been kicked to pieces. If the person/s responsible for this sort of thing do not change their ways we will be denied access to otherwise pleasant areas to place caches in the future which would be a very sad state to be in...

...however there is the flip side - (this is not an excuse for the destructive cacher, an observation of how I perceive the actions occur) I have been to caches where I can see that person/s with no patience have become frustrated and destroyed areas in a desperate search that has clearly been fuelled by a lack of hint and/or poor coordinates etc.

We can all do our bit towards preventing this, whether it be by being more careful in our searching or more responsible in our placing/taking coords and listing of a cache to ensure there is a future in geocaching for us all.

We went to a cache site this weekend, it was hidden in an area where there is poor gps reception. When we arrieved we noticed that the area has been ransacked! Lumps of stone had been upturned and all the moss that was growing on the stones had been ripped off! It was such a shame to see what had been done to it. If you think the cache maybe under a stone, lift it and see but dont roll it over and leave it upturned!

A little thought when searching can avoid an area being trashed as this one was.

My Easter Island micro, (that this orignal story was about) is in a lovely spot and an obvious place where Im sure many a cacher would have placed it. I could remove it but it would be a shame, to not bring other cachers to a lovely point of interest, I cant see where else in that area where I could put a micro for this series and it would ruin the name of it too.

But it is what I will have to do if there are any further problems with its placement.

There are some sad stories to read, It will come a day when caching could be stopped if we seem to be ruining our environment. Thank for everyones interest in this thread.

Sarahxx

I agree that there are some cachers who are inconsiderate. Reading this thread, however, has made me realise that there are many places in my area where cachers have been careful.

Two days ago, I did 4 caches in the Pentland Hills area (near Edinburgh). One of those caches is new, another has been there a year, and the other two have been there since 2003.

Many times, at other places, I have found distinct cache trails leading straight to the find. Not here, the areas around all of these caches are not damaged at all. You wouldn't know that there were caches there.

I agree with previous posters, who have said that it is the responsibility of both the hiders (to give very accurate coordinates and hide regular sized boxes when you can, thus eliminating the need for a long search) and the seekers (to be considerate and respectful of the area they are in, taking their time in order to not tear things up). That is why these Pentland caches have succeeded. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but reading this thread made me realise what a great thing this is!

I, myself, will try to remember this in the future.

Right, I'm jumping off of my soapbox now. :)