NOOB NEEDS HELP-- what GPS do I buy?

trash-queen

Im sure that almost everyone will say some sort of garmin or magellin or lowrance. However, I have a Brunton Atlas MNS and I absolutly love it!!! Its base map is far superior to any garmin base map that i have seen, it is VERY easy to use and you just plug in a little SD card and it has a killer street level map and topo map built into one card. No auto routing on this one is what others will say and a monochromatic screen are its detriments, for me neither matter. I have found 411 in ten weeks with this little gem and I dont see the need to upgrade to a garmin 60 or 76 cx or csx. Im sure others will tell you Im nuts but the proof is in the puddin. I recomend the Brunton. Nothing against garmin or any of the others, i just love the one Ive got and can highly recomend it. Brunton.com

Best unit with good expansion options and a color screen is the Garmin eTrex Venture - can be had around $180 if you scout around. Color Screen, autorouting, micro sd card slot, rugged, good battery life (30 hours), Geocaching mode, easy to use and learn.

I have 5 different Garmin units and I really like the Venture. I usually use my 60C but it is a bit large sometimes - Venture becoming a favorite.

Its hard to offer a suggestion without knowing how much you are willing to spend and what you want to use the unit for.

That said, the Venture CX that StarBrand mentioned is a good choice. Its the only color unit with expandible memory in its price range. It's also good because you can use it as is, out of the box, or you can add map memory and detailed mapping software should you want more advanced features.

It sells for around $180 and at that price is hard to beat.

OK so ima noob at this whole thing - but im ready for the hunt, and yes i've been in a few dumpsters LOL -- tell me what GPS system to buy - what you have, if ya like it or not - or what type to avoid.... MUCHAS appreciated !!!! ;)

Why spend a heap of money if you dont have to? I have a Magellan Meridian Gold that I use for marine use and a Garmin Foretrex 101 for geo caching. The Foretrex does a great job for geocaching and doesnt cost a mint and its very easy and convenient.

What to avoid.

Cobra GPSs. Any GPS that doesn't connect to the computer.

Combine that with the advice above and you won't be going wrong.

The fact is that about any GPS you can buy will do the job of geocaching. The tricky part is the other uses you will find for it that you don't even know you have yet. If you buy the best you can afford, those other uses are covered. If you buy a cheap GPS geocaching is covered but later you may decide you want to be able to get directions in your car. Then you will upgrade.

Here's a vote for Magellan. I started with the eXplorist 200, which worked great for my first 300 finds or so. Then I got SporTrak Map so I could connect to the computer. That worked great for the next several hundred caches. Then it got stolen. So I quickly went to Circuit City and bought an Etrex Legend. I hated it! Tiny screens, inablity to hold a signal, slow response when changing directions. I ended up taking my old eXplorist 200 with me and transfering coordinates when the Legend couldn't get me close. Then I got an eXplorist 500 with Mapsend Direct Route. Heavenly! I can see that the Garmin mapping is superior in some respects, but I am still amazed at what the 500 does for me now. Until a few days ago when I lost it...

I went back to the etrex for one day, then I ordered a refurbished 500 for $159 from geeks.com. Magellan customer service says they will give me a new unlock code for the Direct Route program.

I know lots of people start with an etrex and do just fine, but I find it extremely frustrating to work with. I would not buy another Garmin product based on my bad experience with this one unit.

What to avoid.

Cobra GPSs. Any GPS that doesn't connect to the computer.

Combine that with the advice above and you won't be going wrong.

The fact is that about any GPS you can buy will do the job of geocaching. The tricky part is the other uses you will find for it that you don't even know you have yet. If you buy the best you can afford, those other uses are covered. If you buy a cheap GPS geocaching is covered but later you may decide you want to be able to get directions in your car. Then you will upgrade.

seconded.

my regular cache pals have a variety of units and we are happy with all of them.