Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

Is anyone doing the Meadowlands Kayacking trip this Sunday? Do you need to reserve a spot if you have your own boat? It looks to be about $25 per person excluding boat rental. A private tour of 6 or more appears to be $30 per paddler (which one is the group doing?) . Just wondering how many people are going and if this is indeed happening.

I did not receive any clear indication from anyone specifically who stated they were definite. So it never got put into the hopper as a finalized deal. I kept it on my calendar, as it was my pick and that is the way I do the Sunrise.

I plan to go and put in at 7AM at Laurel Hill Park, Secaucus, I have my own boat and I have two cache containers prepared for placement. Anyone who wishes --feel free to come along. At 7, the tide should be turning and incoming.

If you take the guided tour you must have registered. You do not need to take a tour if you have your own boat, it is pretty much self guided. There are maps, but they seemingly are in short supply, I have only seen them online.

Millstone hill is in Mahwah near Glen Gray, I just threw that out as a maybe-it would not be a good selection for those attending GONE as they can do it then. It is a new cache by BrianSnat, probably in anticipation of GONE, I was just throwing out suggestion, I really don't care where I go, all I know is I am going somewhere on Sunday Morning early, I may even Kayak Monksville. I was just seeing if there were any people not on vacation and who are not lethargic beyond redemption in the hot weather. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

I fully realize that there is an Event planned for Labor Day weekend--but in today's paper there was an invite for people to participate in a canoe race from Pennington Park, Paterson to the Great Falls Paterson, beginning at 10 AM. The Mayor invited other mayors to participate--struck me as funny, the idea of boat loads of politicians going over the falls.

They are highlighting a proposes plan to spend untold taxpayer dollars establishing canoe launch sites along 32 miles of the lower Passaic River from Two Bridges to the Newark Terminus.

Personally, having canoed many parts of the lower Passaic, I can say that there are many places already there for canoe launch, including West Side Park Paterson-- so spending millions on this project is a boondoggle.

But if anyone is interested in an amusing morning, be at Pennington Park at 10 AM

Sunrise Stepoff-- a variation on the Group Hike Theme

We are lining up for a new season, anyone interested in joining us ?

I received an E Mail asking if we were going to do them anymore, I was happy to see a couple of people looking forward to them.

All are welcomed. We go early Sunday morning, return early. Hike, talk, maybe do a few caches, maybe place a few caches, stop drink coffee , have a nice morning out. We are not caching maniacs when we go, so if you are looking in that direction, this may not be what you are looking for.

Preliminary date for attempt is 9/23/07 from Skylands Manor area, Ringwood , heading East. Please Post your interest here, and we will firm up details.

Edited by Packanack

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 23, 7:00 AM-- STEPPING OFF FROM THE SKYLANDS MANOR AREA OF RINGWOOD TO EXPLORE THE NORTH CAPE AREA, POSSIBLY FIND A FEW CACHES, POSSIBLY PLACE A CACHE OR TWO. 3 TO 4 HOUR JAUNT. THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY COMMITTED ARE GOOD COMPANY , FRIENDLY, COURTEOUS, KIND --SO LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO COME. I WILL E MAIL PHONE NUMBER.

RAIN CANCELS.--MORE DETAILS FOLLOW

Edited by Packanack

Cape Cod is nice, it is where I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago. They had some great--really great caches--but no this is North Cape area of Ringwood State Park, Skylands Manor section, You in or not.

And quit busting my chops. I get enough from people telling me my dates are always screwed up--I know, I know I should look at a calendar once in awhile. :anitongue:

Cape Cod is nice, it is where I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago. They had some great--really great caches--but no this is North Cape area of Ringwood State Park, Skylands Manor section, You in or not.

And quit busting my chops. I get enough from people telling me my dates are always screwed up--I know, I know I should look at a calendar once in awhile. :)

Never heard of an area in Ringwood SP refered to as the cape. You learn something new every day. Probably will not make it sorry to say, I don't do early very well.

Never heard of an area in Ringwood SP refered to as the cape. You learn something new every day.

It is true that you do learn something everyday, and if you got up earlier you would learn even more, why in fact--I know that those who go on Sunrise Stepoffs are among the most intelligent people I have had the privilege of meeting--fact. :)

They know a good thing when they find it.

Edited by Packanack

Sunrise on Sunday: Ringwood State Park--Skylands Manor Section--not to be confused with other sections, the Parking Area is Parking Lot C. We will enter the park to meet at the lot around 7:15 AM, entry will be through the Skylands Road entry. Skylands Road entry is usually left open, for Fire and Emergency access by the locals--it is not the main entry point. Skylands Road is off of Greenwood Lake Turnpike and takes you through a small private lake community. In the event that the gate is closed, we will need to revise our plan on the fly and assemble at "The Eagles" which is the main entry way --at 7:30AM allowing time for the travel over from Skylands. To get to the Main Entry take Sloatsburg Road off Greenwood Lake Tpk, then to Morris Rd, which becomes the park road.

Our over ground distance should be about 5 miles of varied, but not overly difficul terrain, should encompass several nice features such as a ridge walk, ponds, woods roads and perhaps some historical features. I am not overly familiar with this area, but what I saw of it last weekend convinced me that I do want to return and see much more.

citicar and BrianSnat have placed some caches --but it is not a cache rich environment and perhaps you might see fit to bring a container for placement.

Questions--send E Mail, and I will respond with Cell #, although service there is spotty.

Sunrise on Sunday: Ringwood State Park--Skylands Manor Section--not to be confused with other sections, the Parking Area is Parking Lot C. We will enter the park to meet at the lot around 7:15 AM, entry will be through the Skylands Road entry. Skylands Road entry is usually left open, for Fire and Emergency access by the locals--it is not the main entry point. Skylands Road is off of Greenwood Lake Turnpike and takes you through a small private lake community. In the event that the gate is closed, we will need to revise our plan on the fly and assemble at "The Eagles" which is the main entry way --at 7:30AM allowing time for the travel over from Skylands. To get to the Main Entry take Sloatsburg Road off Greenwood Lake Tpk, then to Morris Rd, which becomes the park road.

Our over ground distance should be about 5 miles of varied, but not overly difficult terrain, should encompass several nice features such as a ridge walk, ponds, woods roads and perhaps some historical features. I am not overly familiar with this area, but what I saw of it last weekend convinced me that I do want to return and see much more.

citicar and BrianSnat have placed some caches --but it is not a cache rich environment and perhaps you might see fit to bring a container for placement.

Questions--send E Mail, and I will respond with Cell #, although service there is spotty.

I will attend, or at least I will leave my house and drive to the above described location. I once got an F on an assignment in English class in 8th grade when the teacher instructed the class to write a paragraph telling people how to get from Sioux Falls to Bismark. I now know how my teacher felt. I have a general idea where to go, but have only a little confidence other people will be there. Normally I just plug the coordinates into the car and it drives itself there. Regardless, I will try to find my way to the suggested gathering point.

Last time I had the same feeling but made it there anyway.

Should I bring a canoe? Last time I went on one of these they said Lakelady was bringing extra canoes but I just sat on the shore and cried as everyone had fun but me because I was canoeless. :anitongue:

Thanks for setting up these hikes. They are much appreciated by everyone, the coffee and bagles you brought last time were just lovely. <_<

A Follow citicar.

or

B

Take Skyline drive, turn right onto Greenwood Lake Turnpike, turn right onto Skylands Road, drive to parking lot C, park car.

If gate is closed, go back to Greenwood Lake Turnpike, turn right , go to Sloatsburg Road turn right, go to Morris Road turn right go to Eagles wait there.

You can bring a canoe, just remember you carry what you bring. :anitongue:

This is a level C Hike.

Level A - Very easy. Mostly flat terrain. 3-5 miles.

Level B - Easy hike. Some hills, 4-7 miles.

Level C - Moderate for most of people. Some steep hills, 5-8 miles

Level D - Challenging, steeper terrain, 8-10 miles

Level E - Strenuous, 9-15 miles

Level F - Difficult, 15 miles

Edited by Packanack

Right now, I'm in. I'm looking forward to it.

Here are directions from 287 northbound

The very last part of the directions is incorrect. After you go through the Skylands Road gate you will come to a stop sign. The road is one way and you will have to turn right and follow the road past the Duck Pond and the fields. Parking lot "C" is on the right, just before the intersection.

On a side note, you could also exit 287 at Skyline Drive and follow that to Greenwood Lake Turnpike.

Skylands Manor Back Door (Skylands Road Entrance)

41 06.731 074 14.588

Main Entrance

41 07.880 074 15.553

Parking Lot "C"

41 07.141 074 14.294

Thank you! If I read it right we should meet sometime around 7:00 AM is the start time Sunday September 23rd. I look forward to photograph the valley fog in the morning front came through= no fog. Responding to this so people can find the coordinates easy.

Edited by weathernowcast

Thanks very much, Packanack, for organizing the Sunrise hike/geocaching morning. It was a great hike, found more caches than I had planned, and you brought us back to the parking lot exactly when you said you would. Great morning!

And, thanks very much to accbd for lugging my ammo can cache to its new home. Very generous. I've submitted for approval the new cache "Sunrise over Skylands" so hopefully it will be ready to be found in a day or 2.

Pris

(Pris6966)

Thank you Packanack for organizing another great hike. I had a wonderful time even though I was the only one who did not get to find any caches. Getting to do a hike with a nice group of fellow geocachers made up for not being able to get any finds and it was fun watching the group search for some of my caches! I look forward to the next Sunrise Step Off. :laughing:

Special thanks to Citicar for all the caches we visited today. I think this one goes down as the Citicar,Sunrise Stepoff Festival. And thanks to all the rest of the crew. What a truly enjoyable morning with fine, fine company , lots of chatter,stories and laughs. If every one of our step offs are as much fun, I am sure we will be doing them for a long time to come. And being that today was the first day of fall, we will be looking for a foliage step off in October. When Weathernowcast gets a look at this picture, he will be glad he had to scoot.

4fd761cb-6e17-4084-97ac-758290dc5b9d.jpg

Edited by Packanack

Special thanks to Citicar for all the caches we visited today. I think this one goes down as the Citicar,Sunrise Stepoff Festival. And thanks to all the rest of the crew. What a truly enjoyable morning with fine, fine company , lots of chatter,stories and laughs. If every one of our step offs are as much fun, I am sure we will be doing them for a long time to come. And being that today was the first day of fall, we will be looking for a foliage step off in October. When Weathernowcast gets a look at this picture, he will be glad he had to scoot.

4fd761cb-6e17-4084-97ac-758290dc5b9d.jpg

I feel so hurt................how did you edit me out of the photograph?