Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

The road from Clinton Road to the parking area on Cherry Ridge Road is fine for all types of vehicles. There is no driving beyond the parking area. I drive a conventional vehicle and have had no problem, the Park Department plows the road on a regular basis. Should not be a proble.

OK, Brian , are you going to give us the coordinates on the new multi on the other side of the road. Or are you going to make us wait until Monday. :D Just in case we are of a mind to shift our plans.

We had a smaller group last outing, but we had a very enjoyable morning, and were able to get home early in the day, if that is any inducement .

The road from Clinton Road to the parking area on Cherry Ridge Road is fine for all types of vehicles. There is no driving beyond the parking area. I drive a conventional vehicle and have had no problem, the Park Department plows the road on a regular basis. Should not be a proble.

Last time I was there (several weeks ago) the road was not plowed beyond the last homes. The section between the homes and the trailhead parking would have been difficult, if not impossible without 4WD.

OK, Brian , are you going to give us the coordinates on the new multi on the other side of the road. Or are you going to make us wait until Monday

You will have the coords whether or not the cache is published. I'm probably going there tomorrow to finish up. I have the first 3 stages set and just have to place the first stage.

Edited by briansnat

Another great morning. Thanks Guys for joining me , hope you enjoyed it half as much as I. If so it was a success. I think this will stack up as a classic loop hike. What a tremendous area and pleasant surroundings. And we didn't lose anyone along the way. Next time, I think we make it a Sunset Step Off for a change of pace.

Edited by Packanack

Another great morning. Thanks Guys for joining me , hope you enjoyed it half as much as I. If so it was a success. I think this will stack up as a classic loop hike. What a tremendous area and pleasant surroundings. And we didn't lose anyone along the way. Next time, I think we make it a Sunset Step Off for a change of pace.

You mean I won't have to wake up at 4am next time? :laughing::anibad::anibad: Had a great time and my socks were almost dry by the time I got home! Now I just have to figure out how to get all those pictures of the bear tracks from my cellphone to the computer. Thanks for putting another great hike together. Can't wait to get the Fox's and Moun10Girl down to do one of these loops. :lol:

This should become a classic loop hike soon, this hike did have it all – views, good caches found, good company, beaver dams, river crossings, bear tracks. Always good to get to know other cachers, thanks for putting the hike together Packanack

Sorry I missed this one. Looks like it was a great but wet time. I guess the bears slept in today too...I had everything set to go this morning, thought I had set my alarm...but neglected to enable it after setting the time. Jumped out of bed at 6:45am with not a chance of making the step off. Couldn't even go back to sleep as I was so annoyed about missing the hike.

Went exploring Federal Hill this afternoon as a consolation. Hope to make the next one....

Next on the List for Sunrise Step Off

Give this some thought. Any Interest.

Bicycle caching--Possible for April 30, 2007. APRIL 29,2007 I have ridden all of them, every inch of them and they are all very enjoyable.

Possible areas-- Paulinskill Rail Trail, Sussex Branch Rail Trail, Orange Heritage Rail Trail

Potential Departure areas--Near Waterloo Village, Andover, Warbasse Junction, Lafayette Village, Blairstown, Branchville for the Paulingskill and the Sussex

Monroe, Chester, Goshen, NY for the Orange Heritage.

NJ Rail Trails are Mountain/Hybrid suited. Orange is anything as it is butter smooth pavement.

If there is interest, I will try and guage a consensus and make a plan.

Forgot to mention that this is very pleasant, flat, riding on designated bike trails--smooth. Anticipated distance, whatever you want.

Edited by Packanack

Next on the List for Sunrise Step Off

Give this some thought. Any Interest.

Bicycle caching--Possible for April 30, 2007. I have ridden all of them, every inch of them and they are all very enjoyable.

Possible areas-- Paulinskill Rail Trail, Sussex Branch Rail Trail, Orange Heritage Rail Trail

Potential Departure areas--Near Waterloo Village, Andover, Warbasse Junction, Lafayette Village, Blairstown, Branchville for the Paulingskill and the Sussex

Monroe, Chester, Goshen, NY for the Orange Heritage.

NJ Rail Trails are Mountain/Hybrid suited. Orange is anything as it is butter smooth pavement.

If there is interest, I will try and guage a consensus and make a plan.

Forgot to mention that this is very pleasant, flat, riding on designated bike trails--smooth. Anticipated distance, whatever you want.

Isn't April 30th a Monday? Great for you retired folk, but for the rest of us working fools...

There is a very limited time for signing up for the NYC 5 Boro Bike Tour Which is to be held Next Sunday. I have been in training, and I will be doing a shorter ride tomorrow morning about 20 miles I plan on being on road about 6 to arrive either at Hudson River Bikeway or Orange Heritage Trail about 7--If anyone is interested in joining me let me know. I plan on trying to work some caches into the mix. Both of these rides are superb, smooth and level. So either is acceptable to me.

There was some interest expressed in a Meadowlands Canoe Kayak trip, if anyone has interest, post that here, I have the information on the guided trip dates. If you have not been out there in a canoe or kayak, you are missing one of life's great unexpected joys. Birders are especially encouraged. If there is interest post it here.

Edited by Packanack
There was some interest expressed in a Meadowlands Canoe Kayak trip, if anyone has interest, post that here, I have the information on the guided trip dates. If you have not been out there in a canoe or kayak, you are missing one of life's great unexpected joys. Birders are especially encouraged. If there is interest post it here.

I certainly would be interested.

You Simply have to see this.

If you consider yourself an Outdoors Person, you owe it to yourself to pick up the latest issue of Trailwalker, which is usually found for free at Ramsey Outdoor, Campmor or Eastern Mountain Sports among other places. There is a conference scheduled to take place locally in Northern NJ, that may prove to be of great interest to outdoor aficianados. There are a number of events and trips scheduled. They are looking for volunteers. It looks intriguing to say the least.

You Simply have to see this.

If you consider yourself an Outdoors Person, you owe it to yourself to pick up the latest issue of Trailwalker, which is usually found for free at Ramsey Outdoor, Campmor or Eastern Mountain Sports among other places. There is a conference scheduled to take place locally in Northern NJ, that may prove to be of great interest to outdoor aficianados. There are a number of events and trips scheduled. They are looking for volunteers. It looks intriguing to say the least.

It's a must do event. It won't be back in NJ for many years. I understand that hundreds of hikers and outdoors lovers attend this event. I will be leading a hike and see Jonboy is leading another. Maybe we can get some more geocachers to volunteer (I think you have to be a TC or ATC member to volunteer, but I'm not certain).

Sunday May 20th. I am planning to do something on the Sunrise Stepoff type. Anyone who has interest is free to come along. The only rules are, we leave early, so we get home early, to avoid interference with the plans of others in our families. Anone with interest, please let me know. All are welcomed.

My preliminary ideas include:

1. Paddling--Split Rock, Wawayand, Meadowlands.

2. Bicycling for caches in Central Park.

3. Hiking in Sterling Forest. I have limited exposure to Sterling Forest and wish to further explore.

Sunday May 20th. I am planning to do something on the Sunrise Stepoff type. Anyone who has interest is free to come along. The only rules are, we leave early, so we get home early, to avoid interference with the plans of others in our families. Anone with interest, please let me know. All are welcomed.

My preliminary ideas include:

1. Paddling--Split Rock, Wawayand, Meadowlands.

2. Bicycling for caches in Central Park.

3. Hiking in Sterling Forest. I have limited exposure to Sterling Forest and wish to further explore.

I'm game for Sunday! I don't have a canoe or kayak but if you have an extra one I would like to do that!

If not I would prefer to explore Sterling forest.

Let me know.

GROUP HIKE

Anyone interested in a Sunrise Step Off Hike for Sunday June 10, 2007--which would be about a 5 to 6 mile hike over territory that is un cached. The purpose would be to seed an area with caches. HAVE SOME FUN enjoyable hike. There are a couple of other caches nearby if you simply must.

I have the boxes ready to go and I have specifically asked permission of --Klizich -- to allow for this trip. He said if we are nice , he might allow it.

This is a hiking trip, pretty area, leaving to step off at 7 AM, you should be home by Noon. Out early home early trips , have been very enjoyable.

Edited by Packanack

GROUP HIKE

Anyone interested in a Sunrise Step Off Hike for Sunday June 10, 2007--which would be about a 5 to 6 mile hike over territory that is un cached. The purpose would be to seed an area with caches. HAVE SOME FUN enjoyable hike. There are a couple of other caches nearby if you simply must.

What area are you planning to hike?

What area are you planning to hike?

The Plan for Sunday June 10th is to hike the Pump House Trail on the Western side of Wawayanda. The trail head is reachable by driving North on Canistear Road, a winding but not unpleasant country road, turn to the right immediately past the Lake Wanda Store, continue on , you will reach a fork in the road (take it), again you want to go to the right it is Wawayanda Drive, (to the Left is Barry Lakes Drive) continue on past the point where the pavement ends to the parking area. This is the western gate of Wawayanda, it will be closed, so there is no through traffic, park the trailhead is at the parking area. Our goal is to stepoff at 7AM, hike in about 1 hour 45 minutes, and reseve the same time for hiking out, so we should be able to cover about 5 to 6 miles.

Some folks have begged off, due to commitments, some are traveling, some are going to GeoJamboree, and I have to admit that I was a little discouraged about continuing to try to put these together.

But then I heard from someone who sounded very enthusiatic,about coming and I figured I was going to go any way you slice it, so if you are of a mind come on out and have a good morning in the outdoors. All are welcome. Any questions please E Mail or post here and we will try and get you answers. We are still thinking about the Kayaking Meadowlands and Biking Caches in Central Park, so if you have comments or requested dates let me know. Kayaking Meadowlands will probably be in second week of July .

I'm disappointed that I'm going to miss another Step Off but I'll be out in Chicago for my daughter's graduation. However I'm excited to see that there's a new cache awaiting me in Chicago so perhaps I'll have my own Sunrise Step Off out there.

Enjoy the hike and watch out for rattlesnakes. Hope to make the next one...

Ok, this one looks like it is a go, so don't be bashful, this is the last engraved invitation you are getting. Seriously all are welcomed. . West Gate meet at Wawayanda for 7 AM stepoff, we may need to arrange a shuttle

GC13FTC

Edited by Packanack

:blink: Sorry gang, sent out an e-mail to a number of cachers trying to get them to join the fun; these hikes area blast! I ended up with the wrong start time due to confusion over an earlier e-mail. Start is definitely 7 AM.

The e-mail had a list of 18 caches that could be do-able with more than the hike we have planned, but, still do-able. I will have copies of the caches and coords for all for those who did not get the e-mail. You can also e-mail me for a copy; it is in Works spreadsheet format.

Sorry again for any confusion...just wanted to get as many people together as possible; the last outing is still fresh in my mind from all the fun we had. :D:rolleyes:

Remember to have plenty of fluids (water, gatorade, etc.) as it will be hot out!

SUNRISE STEPOFF

ANYONE INTERESTED; JULY 15, 2007 10 AM --HIGH TIDE GUIDED TOUR OF MEADOWLANDS

http://www.hackensackriverkeeper.org/canoeproject.html

I have my own boats, so I am not in need, but some others have indicated their interest for such an outing and it can be accomodated if you are in need of a boat, you would have to register and rent. I have been in the Meadowlands by canoe several times and it is a unique experience, well worth doing, bring binoculars.

Sunrise Stepoff--Guaging interest for Group Hike/Activity

Any Kayakers/canoeist interested in Meadowlands July 16 ?

Also, would anyone be interested in a Sunrise Stepoff of a different type: My suggestion is the following.

Start the group hike at 5PM, end it at twilight, which is now about 9PM and will be about that time for the next month--do it on a Saturday , instead of a Sunday .

I received a notice of some fine hiking caches,from BrianSnat among them are :

NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache and the crown prince, Eye Carumba. Actually most of the really good hiking that I can think of are multis. TRL's Petroglyph Trail, Graffiti Rock Ramble, Giant Stairs, Splitrock Splendor and Terrace Pond North.

I don't know anything about being the best, but give my Indian Cliffs cache a try coming in from Split Rock Rd. It's quite a hike. 8+ miles if you do the full loop and close to that even if you go out and back.

Day at the Beech are also both nice walks. If you want difficult, try my River Rocks cache.

Sunrise Stepoff--Guaging interest for Group Hike/Activity

Any Kayakers/canoeist interested in Meadowlands July 16 ?

Also, would anyone be interested in a Sunrise Stepoff of a different type: My suggestion is the following.

Start the group hike at 5PM, end it at twilight, which is now about 9PM and will be about that time for the next month--do it on a Saturday , instead of a Sunday .

I received a notice of some fine hiking caches,from BrianSnat among them are :

NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache and the crown prince, Eye Carumba. Actually most of the really good hiking that I can think of are multis. TRL's Petroglyph Trail, Graffiti Rock Ramble, Giant Stairs, Splitrock Splendor and Terrace Pond North.

I don't know anything about being the best, but give my Indian Cliffs cache a try coming in from Split Rock Rd. It's quite a hike. 8+ miles if you do the full loop and close to that even if you go out and back.

Day at the Beech are also both nice walks. If you want difficult, try my River Rocks cache.

yes to both!