Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

Sunrise hike - New Years Day starting at 9:00 Ringwood Manor at the posted parking cords N 41° 08.477 W 074° 14.972

The goal would be to get the five new Packanack hides

Five Words – Beginning (GC1JXM5)

Five Words – Happiness (GC1JXMM)

Five Words – Regrets (GC1JXNG)

Five Words – Empathy (GC1JXNX)

Five Words – Gratitude (GC1JXPA)

Other caches nearby to complete your day

Predicted weather as of today:

Thursday, Jan 1

High: 34 °F RealFeel®: 24 °F

Breezy in the morning; otherwise, plenty of sunshine, but cold

DUE TO THE INCLEMENT WEATHER THIS HIKE IS BEING RESCHEDULED FOR

SUN JAN 4 ------- 8:30AM AT THE POSTED CORDS

SEE EVERYONE THEN - HAPPY NEW YEAR

I am a bit under the weather with a cold. We will see how I fare in the morning if I shall get there or not.

January 25, 2009 start time 8 AM, leaving out of the Boy Scout Lake into the back end of Norvin Green.

February 8, 2009 start time at 8:30Am, the Turkey Mtn area in scenic , bucolic Kinnelon Morris Co

February 22, 2009 Sterling Forest, route and location TBD

The aforementioned dates should be considered pretty much fixed. Someone who shall remain nameless suggested that I try and give more notice to persons who subscribe to this thread , so that they could better plan. It was a worthy suggestion, and for that reason they remain nameless, for why should they get the credit. :unsure: I was also told that I should be less parochial and should broaden my vistas, to which I said --Huh ? and they said try Morris County and Sterling Forest--to which I said --You think ?

For those who might not know, you can subscribe to this thread to receive direct E Mail notices. A lot of people are unfamiliar with that feature. And say they don't visit the forum often enough to hear of the hikes.

For those who are unfamiliar with our Sunrise Stepoff's we welcome you to come along.

We usually try for hikes over pleasant varied terrain that are not overly taxing and some of the regulars have asked that there be a return to that formula.

We may look for available caches, but that is not a primary goal, primary goal is social and just to get out.

Also, we have pushed back start times a little to accomodate request.

Any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Newcomers are welcomed.

January 25, 2009 start time 8 AM, leaving out of the Boy Scout Lake into the back end of Norvin Green.

February 8, 2009 start time at 8:30Am, the Turkey Mtn area in scenic , bucolic Kinnelon Morris Co

See Below

The January 25 hike date still holds , notwithstanding the kids trip to Centralia on 1/24.

The hike date of 2/8/09 will be bumped as there is a hike event the day before in Hackelbarney SP.

brianb, one of the original Sunriser's is planning an event in Black Forest NY, and depending on date, we may make further adjustments to the schedule.

A friend writes a Geocaching blog and I am providing some links, as to why this is the best time of year to get out.

http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/index.ph...og=183#comments

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/ar...rts_your_brain/

Edited by Packanack

See Below

The January 25 hike date still holds , notwithstanding the kids trip to Centralia on 1/24.

The hike date of 2/8/09 will be bumped as there is a hike event the day before in Hackelbarney SP.

brianb, one of the original Sunriser's is planning an event in Black Forest NY, and depending on date, we may make further adjustments to the schedule.

A friend writes a Geocaching blog and I am providing some links, as to why this is the best time of year to get out.

http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/index.ph...og=183#comments

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/ar...rts_your_brain/

Figures, the one I can do gets scratched :anicute:

Wow, what a thread! 500+ replies; over 19,000 views. Dang, you should get GC.com to share some ad revenue :cry: .

Hey, thanks for the link to my blog. Anyone caching on the Cape (that would be Cod) or who just enjoys exploring the woods wherever can probably relate. I think geocachers have done more for conservation than almost any other group except, perhaps, Scouts and birdwatchers.

Happy Trails,

BiPR, from points north

My wife told me I am to go for a walk tomorrow, Sunday 1/25, so I guess I am. I originally posted from Boy Scout Lake, but have changed my mind, I will leave from Long Pond Iron Works parking lot, there is a new 4 part cache that looks to be of some interest.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...27-517458ce1608

I plan on stepping off at around 8 AM, anyone else who wishes to join in would be most welcomed.

Edited by Packanack

My wife told me I am to go for a walk tomorrow, Sunday 1/25, so I guess I am. I originally posted from Boy Scout Lake, but have changed my mind, I will leave from Long Pond Iron Works parking lot, there is a new 4 part cache that looks to be of some interest.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...27-517458ce1608

I plan on stepping off at around 8 AM, anyone else who wishes to join in would be most welcomed.

Lets just hope that Pofe reviews the caches placed by ThirstyMick and Slukster that are the other pieces of the puzzle! I posted our tracklog of the hike in the Great Ny/nj Loop Caches thread.

LONG RANGE PLANNING

THIS IS A ONE TIME ANNOUNCEMENT

Last Year I had invited some folks , who had expressed some interest , to ride in the New York Five Borough Bike Tour. The Tour leaves from lower Manhattan and winds its way around the City and ultimately arrives in Staten Island. The 42 miles of the Tour is well supported and is over traffic free roads. It allows for an entirely different perspective of the City. I bring this up now, as we are forming a group again. Last year we left from Wayne, had a very enjoyable day. Registration is now open --Goggle Five Borough Bike Tour. If there is interest, let me know by E Mail and I will respond. With the ride in and ride out and the tour miles the total ride should be about 50 miles, therefore some preparation and conditioning would be needed. There are only about 95 days left in which to condition--Tour Date is May 3, 2009, leaves early.

One of the guys last year actually did a cache in the midst of 30000 riders. :)

Edited by Packanack
LONG RANGE PLANNING

THIS IS A ONE TIME ANNOUNCEMENT

Last Year I had invited some folks , who had expressed some interest , to ride in the New York Five Borough Bike Tour. The Tour leaves from lower Manhattan and winds its way around the City and ultimately arrives in Staten Island. The 42 miles of the Tour is well supported and is over traffic free roads. It allows for an entirely different perspective of the City. I bring this up now, as we are forming a group again. Last year we left from Wayne, had a very enjoyable day. Registration is now open --Goggle Five Borough Bike Tour. If there is interest, let me know by E Mail and I will respond. With the ride in and ride out and the tour miles the total ride should be about 50 miles, therefore some preparation and conditioning would be needed. There are only about 95 days left in which to condition--Tour Date is May 3, 2009, leaves early.

One of the guys last year actually did a cache in the midst of 30000 riders. :laughing:

I'll be working as a marshal, hopefully in Harlem. Let you know closer to the event and y'all better stop and say hey!!

Oh yeah if you want to sign up you better do it ASAP as it closes really quick.

2-22-09 Assemble between 7:30 and 8 , for 8 AM start.

Parking Coordinates and Trailhead coordinates have been supplied at the following Waypoint:

GC1ME86 and GC1ME8F

Of note for those who might want to make a longer day of it, there are many, many caches in several surrounding parks. Recently, I did the Norther New Jersey Waymarking Challenge and I highly recommend that cache and that challenge to you.

The walk about Butler Reservoir is a great loop hike over terrain that is pleasant,with views that are simply great. And you will be getting close to the time when ice fisherman start crashing through the ice, --cheap entertainment-- :mad:

2-22-09 Assemble between 7:30 and 8 , for 8 AM start.

Parking Coordinates and Trailhead coordinates have been supplied at the following Waypoint:

GC1ME86 and GC1ME8F

Of note for those who might want to make a longer day of it, there are many, many caches in several surrounding parks. Recently, I did the Norther New Jersey Waymarking Challenge and I highly recommend that cache and that challenge to you.

The walk about Butler Reservoir is a great loop hike over terrain that is pleasant,with views that are simply great. And you will be getting close to the time when ice fisherman start crashing through the ice, --cheap entertainment-- :laughing:

I think I will join you for this.

One option is to leave a car at the Pyramid Mt visitors center, or the Boonton Ave field on Boonton Ave (corner of Boonton Ave and Fayson Lakes Rd) and do an end to end hike.

If anybody does want to leave a car at the other end let me know and I will pick you up and shuttle you to the starting point. I live a half mile from the Boonton Ave field

Completing this hike going from Packanack's suggested starting point, to the BA field will give you a hike of about 5 miles with about 8 caches along the way (more if you take detours).

Which caches would this hike cover?

If you are referring to the hike I mentioned. Picturing it in my mind...

Kincaid Woods

Big Rock

The Curious Case of the Oyster Riders

Shelter From the Storm

Grin and Bear it

Tripod Rock

Cedar Grove

Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon

The Hard Way

With some detours you can add:

Let the Cool Goddess Rust Away

Big Kahuna

Whats Up Pussycat

High Mountain

Sillwaters

Rockhoud.

With the route I believe Packanack is planning:

Kincaid Woods

Big Rock

Shelter From the Storm

and maybe Grin and Bear It and Cedar Grove

Edited by briansnat

Kincaid Woods

Big Rock

Shelter From the Storm

That would probably be along the lines. But we do not plan according to available caches, in fact some of the trips have involved 5 mile hikes , no caches, one was 12 miles,an hours drive and one cache. Another very nice hike was 5 miles, one cache. People have come along even after having done all the available caches. People have come along when the caches were their own hides. One great outing involved a bunch of Citicar caches, which he attended and explained the background on Ringwood State Park, where he had attended college and worked. He lent a unique personal touch to our hike.

The local hike description showed a hike that was not too long, so it might be worthwhile for the novice hiker or a spouse who ordinarily would not come out. Following from the hike there no doubt would be people who would have some time available to pursue other finds. That is up to the individuals schedule. We like to try and get out, and back in 4 or 5 hours, so that people who have other obligations can attend to them. The planned hike looks to be one that would take considerably less time, thus freeing people for their individual pursuits.

These have been primarily geared toward having a nice morning and not just about adding numbers or smileys.

Edited by Packanack

Which caches would this hike cover?

If you are referring to the hike I mentioned. Picturing it in my mind...

Kincaid Woods

Big Rock

Shelter From the Storm

Grin and Bear it

Tripod Rock

Cedar Grove

Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon

The Hard Way

With some detours you can add:

Let the Cool Goddess Rust Away

Big Kahuna

Whats Up Pussycat

High Mountain

Sillwaters

Rockhoud.

Kincaid Woods

Big Rock

Shelter From the Storm

Looks like I will be Primary On-Call for this weekend and will have to be near a computer :< Could someone keep tabs of the tracklog and upload a screenshot of it :laughing: Enjoy guys!

plan on joining the 2/22 hike - how much parking is available at the suggested area?

Enough for about 10 cars.

I believe we're just doing the 2 mile loop, but if anybody wants to break off and continue on and leave their car at the Boonton Ave field, let me know so I can pick you up there and shuttle you to the starting point.

I'm not going to have Internet access for the rest of the afternoon, evening or tomorrow morning (going camping), but give me a call (973-476-1745)

Edited by briansnat

Thanks John, for another great hike! This was a lot of fun as it had some ruins, old mine pits, interesting (and really big) rocks, a great trail and thanks to BrianSnat, some geocaches to find. Top that off with a great group of fellow hikers and it made for a perfect hike. It was also nice to have the CO, the famous BrianSnat, along with us.

excellent way to spend a Sunday morning – good company – mines and ruins to explore – great rock formations -new trail systems (covered 4+ miles) – 5 caches – history lessons from the co – the snow added another element – thanks for putting this together Packanack and thanks Briansnat for the hides

I know this is last minute but I plan on exploring Dunderberg mountain Sat morning following Walkin' Ed post from the loop hike forum

"Walkin' Ed

post Feb 24 2009, 12:59 PM

With the four new caches in Bear Mountain State Park on Dunderberg Mountain a nice loop hike can be made which includes the following caches, GCY0WQ, GC1MWFG, GC1MWFZ, GC1MWGB, GC1MWGK and GCY0WG. There is also a nearby virtual cache GC8FD5. Its a great hike with some wonderful views and the caches are all placed near sections of the never completed Dunderberg Spiral Railway."

Let me know if you're interested in joining - plan on being at the recommended parking location listed GC1MWFG cache at 8:00am Sat morning (sorry John but I'm busy Sunday) - thanks for the post Walkin' Ed

dunderbergmountain027.jpg

Sunrise Hike 2/27 Macatac1961, WeatherNowcast, ACCBD

One of the many views from our Sunrise Hike at Dunderberg Mountain. The loop hike consisted of 4+ miles, 900+’ elevation change, 6 caches, ruins, tunnels, plane crash remains and more overlooks than can be counted. This is a highly recommended hike.

Edited by accbd

This looks great. I was sorry I missed this one, but I was on the west coast (of America - not the Hudson!) that weekend. I am definitely up to do that one sometime. It will beat the 12 miles I trekked up and down peaks in Long Pong Ironworks park yesterday.

I did make my 200th cache there though so it was worth it and I only saw two other people all day. I love this time of the year.

All the best.

Paul

Highly recommended for a change of pace, bicycle caching at its best. Park at Monroe NY, park and ride and take your bicycle for a tour along the Orange Heritage Trail, down to the town of Monroe and then up to the wonderful town of Goshen , our ride of about 25 miles lead us to 10 very different types of hides, and to a number of very interesting locations. A stop at the Goshen Gourmet Deli and Bakery, is a must , as is a quick stop at the Harness Racing Museum, then on to the beautiful park across from the Orange County Complex. Just a great morning outl.9a1ac793-c104-4bae-9fd9-98b10463f6da.jpg

Although I had convinced myself that it was time to try and put the geocaching aside for a month to allow for shape up for the NY Bike Tour, I see that there is a series of caches near Longpond, that are newly placed and look rather inviting. And if my view is not clouded, I would like to spend a couple of early Sunday hours looking for some of them. Anyone interested ? :)

Although I had convinced myself that it was time to try and put the geocaching aside for a month to allow for shape up for the NY Bike Tour, I see that there is a series of caches near Longpond, that are newly placed and look rather inviting. And if my view is not clouded, I would like to spend a couple of early Sunday hours looking for some of them. Anyone interested ? :)

If you are referring to Weathernowcast's new caches I may be interested... perhaps grab these before ThirstyMick even wakes up! What time, 7AM ?

Although I had convinced myself that it was time to try and put the geocaching aside for a month to allow for shape up for the NY Bike Tour, I see that there is a series of caches near Longpond, that are newly placed and look rather inviting. And if my view is not clouded, I would like to spend a couple of early Sunday hours looking for some of them. Anyone interested ? :D

If you are referring to Weathernowcast's new caches I may be interested... perhaps grab these before ThirstyMick even wakes up! What time, 7AM ?

:P

Packanack, I read your log on my new cache saying your were giving up geocaching and was concerned! Good to know it was only a temporary decision to stop awhile to get in shape :) Good luck :D

and yeah, 7am, not a good time for me :)

Yes, around 7:30A, and out by 11 , couple of hours.

Walking or riding still counts as exercise right ??? :)

Cause next week my wife convinced me to lay on a beach in Fla, for a few days, and that is not exercise. But maybe they have some caches there, hmm maybe I can rent a bike

Edited by Packanack

Packanack, I read your log on my new cache saying your were giving up geocaching and was concerned!

I saw that too and was wondering what that was about. Glad it's temporary.

I was thinking of going for those caches but maybe on Saturday, where would you park? By the Beech Rd parking indicated on map 115? Is there a way in that doesn't involve crossing so many topo lines? :)

Highly recommended for a change of pace, bicycle caching at its best. Park at Monroe NY, park and ride and take your bicycle for a tour along the Orange Heritage Trail, down to the town of Monroe and then up to the wonderful town of Goshen , our ride of about 25 miles lead us to 10 very different types of hides, and to a number of very interesting locations. A stop at the Goshen Gourmet Deli and Bakery, is a must , as is a quick stop at the Harness Racing Museum, then on to the beautiful park across from the Orange County Complex. Just a great morning outl.9a1ac793-c104-4bae-9fd9-98b10463f6da.jpg

Goshen NY, the childhood home of Skigirl. I have several small paintings scenes from the harness racing track hanging over my fireplace that were painted by Skigirl's, high school friend's, mother. Actually looking at them again, it's two scenes from the track and one of Goshen station.

Although I had convinced myself that it was time to try and put the geocaching aside for a month to allow for shape up for the NY Bike Tour, I see that there is a series of caches near Longpond, that are newly placed and look rather inviting. And if my view is not clouded, I would like to spend a couple of early Sunday hours looking for some of them. Anyone interested ?

I could be up for that

Sunday, I am going rain or shine for a couple of hours, parking on the launch site. The caches seem to lay out along vestigal trails that are mapped on Rod Johnson Cartography maps. I plan on starting to walk about 7:30 AM

a map would have helped in hiding these things! Does it have the mine on it? Maybe I wil ljoin you so I can restock the caches!