Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

Did a

in VT and bagged two caches along the way over the weekend.

At least Im not the only one snowshoeing :) 1/23 snowshoed Windham, Blackhead, Black Dome, and Thomas Cole (also did Camel's Hump). 1/29 snowshoed Plateau, Sugarloaf, Twin, and Indian Head. If you want to make some nice loops in the Catskills, I guarantee those ridgelines are well packed in now :) Anyone up for Vly and Bearpen this Saturday with Panther? Planning on KHP on Sunday. Let me know.

Did a

in VT and bagged two caches along the way over the weekend.

At least Im not the only one snowshoeing :) 1/23 snowshoed Windham, Blackhead, Black Dome, and Thomas Cole (also did Camel's Hump). 1/29 snowshoed Plateau, Sugarloaf, Twin, and Indian Head. If you want to make some nice loops in the Catskills, I guarantee those ridgelines are well packed in now :) Anyone up for Vly and Bearpen this Saturday with Panther? Planning on KHP on Sunday. Let me know.

I'm up for it, but not at your speed.

I happened to be in Paramus this afternoon and I stopped at Ramsey Outdoor Store and noticed that they have snowshoes rentals, for anyone who wants to join Polskikrol and BrianSnat for their hike. They seemed to be reasonable in their pricing and it might be worthwhile for someone who wants to give it a try.

With what it looks like out there, have you considered cross country ice skating?

With what it looks like out there, have you considered cross country ice skating?

I was snowshoeing today in Silas Condict and it was pretty darn icy. I was grateful that my snowshoes have pretty substantial heel crampons, otherwise I might have been skiing the things on downhills. On the bright side they kept me from breaking through the crust most of the time.

Was snowshoeing in Harriman on Saturday. There was a nice crust off the trails, which wasn't too bad. Suspect after the warm weather of the past 2 days that the crust may be a bit harder.

Headed out to xc ski on Saturday, wondering what the trails will look like then

I went out Sunday with micro spikes, it ok, not pleasant when crust collapses and you sink. It was nice to get sun and breeze and just to be out.

Anyone available (and wanting company) to go caching and/or hiking tomorrow, Saturday? I am thinking those new Schunemunk Mountain caches or perhaps something in Harriman. I promise to go a decent pace as the next day I need to summit North Dome, Sherril, and West Kill.

Also, anyone up for anything on Monday (if your fortunate to have Holiday)?

Anyone available (and wanting company) to go caching and/or hiking tomorrow, Saturday? I am thinking those new Schunemunk Mountain caches or perhaps something in Harriman. I promise to go a decent pace as the next day I need to summit North Dome, Sherril, and West Kill.

I will go with you George if you promise to be nice.

Saturday is not tomorrow, it's yesterday.

This was a mile from my house and right near several popular caches. So sad. I'm glad the ice is melting this week.

There was talk of slipping by some intrepid cachers hiding caches in NY.

Today there is a report of a hiker slipping off a cliff. The ice is hard to negotiate. Be careful out there.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APda854894e2fa4e259e90b37c350c2b47.html

I was up there today (Fed 20th)===did the loop. I had the hiker that died in my thought much of the way. The trails are still, frankly, shockingly icy. Several of the overlooks on the Long Path are solid ice for 20 feet up to the cliff. The scariest part is that much of the terrain that slopes towards the NE has 10 inches of iced over snow and if one falls you can go sliding for a good distance. From below you can still see drifts of snow and ice sticking out over the more NE facing ledges.

New report of rescue. This by nypd helicopter rescuing west point cadets lost on training hike. Cadets were reported near death from hypothermia.

Conflicting reports out on this one. One report has them freelancing.

Either way rescuers put at risk. Be careful.

Edited by Packanack
New report of rescue. This by nypd helicopter rescuing west point cadets lost on training hike. Cadets were reported near death from hypothermia.

Conflicting reports out on this one. One report has them freelancing.

Either way rescuers put at risk. Be careful.

There plight had nothing to do with mountain conditions, but everything to do with stupidity.

This is a Trial Baloon to guage interest before I put any of my prodigous mental capacity into working on it:

Would anyone be interested in let's say a bus trip to Washington DC for a day for sightseeing and caching in the nations capital. There is a Bolt Bus ( Look it up under Boltbus.com) which runs about a 40 dollar round trip from 7th Avenue NYC to Union Station Washington DC, has wifi, power and facilities. The last bus out of NYC is a 10PM, you can sleep on bus down and arrive around early, spend day and catch a late bus back--have basically the entire day in DC without the hassle of driving yourself up and back. Caching and tourist thing in the Mall area or do your own thing.

I would appreciate feedback. I thought that if it was doable and if it worked we could perhaps add Baltimore and Boston to the mix at some future date.

Edited by Packanack

New Group Outing Planned for this coming Sunday.

All Early Risers Welcomed---Mountain/trail/hybrid bike better for this.The terrain will be flat.

Subject to the usual modifications due to weather, and unforseen circumstances beyond control. I am planning on visiting Stwart State Park one more time before hunding season, I plan on doing mtn bike and I plan on going Sunday , leaving at 6 sharp from NJ. It is an hours ride, I plan on riding and doing as many caches as I can do I am going to prepare ahead of time so I am not wasting too much time on arrival. So my plan is arrive, unload , strap on pack and ride without to much frou/frou.

I went up the thru way to exit 17 and backed down to the park. The parking area is right near the cache coords listed below on Barton Road. Anyone else interested , . Bug spray a must.

PARKING AT

N 41° 28.485 W 074° 12.670

Edited by Packanack

Late notice, but a Sunrise Stepoff for tomorrow, Saturday, September 16 at 6:30am.

We'll be leaving from the Pool Hollow Road - Hoeferlin Memorial (Yellow) trail entrance to Ramapo Mountain State Forest at 6:30am sharp for a true sunrise stepoff. CampgawCrawler maintains a short section of the Hoeferlin Memorial trail (about 1.2 miles), so if there are any maintenance needs we will help take care of those, but then we'll continue on for a loop totaling about 7.5 miles.

Polskikrol will be setting the pace, so be prepared to move ;) (trail maintenance, geocaches, and death are the only things that might possibly slow PK down).

Bill

Reminder for Packanack's bicycling outing tomorrow morning (see two posts up) and late notice for another sunrise stepoff - an alternative for those who fear two-wheeled vehicles.

PolskiKrol, CampgawCrawler, and I had a great 10 mile hike today around the Ramapo Lake area.

Polskikrol and I will be doing the stonetown circular loop tomorrow morning. It's about 13 miles with some nice views, climbs, and quite a few caches along the way. We will be leaving from the Lake Riconda Drive parking area at 6:30am. For those worried about PK's normal death-march pace, I assure you that I'll be slowing him down tomorrow. If you're interested in joining us, please let us know asap.

Bill

Polskikrol and I will be doing the stonetown circular loop tomorrow morning. It's about 13 miles with some nice views, climbs, and quite a few caches along the way. We will be leaving from the Lake Riconda Drive parking area at 6:30am.

So I'm finally beginning to recover from the PolskiKrol death-march.. Not a good idea to try hiking with PK two days in a row. We were on the trail at sunrise - 6:39am, and didn't get back to the car until just after sunset - 7:05pm. The prior day's PK 10-miler took it's toll - I was slow on this one. But it was a great day!

The hike was somewhere between 14.5 and 15.7 miles - depending on which of four Garmin numbers you believe - with 4450 feet of total elevation gain. We located 17 caches (including several that hadn't been found in about a year), hid 2 new caches, saw turkey vultures, swans, hawks, wild turkeys, cactus, great views, drank 4 full liters of waters (just me), got soaked trying to locate a 4/4 cache that was actually missing, spent a good 30 minutes trying to free (dig out) one of briansnat's caches, etc..

Stonetown Circular Tracklog

Or your could have come with us, we had a delightful morning in the crisp cool air. We rode several miles found a nice smathering of caches, enjoyed each others company, took some pictures, told some jokes , laughed a little and are looking forward to going back. And best part yet, it did not take us 2 days to recover for we are not into self flaggelation. :lol:

And as we like to say: Why walk when you can ride.

Edited by Packanack

Beer and hemp protein -----hmmmmm sounds , well just delightful. :blink: But I think we would like your recipe.

We are going to try to go again this coming Sunday to Stewart State Park, leaving out of the parking lot at Weed Road and Rt. 207 at 7 AM or thereabouts. We enjoyed last Sunday so much.

Mtn /trail/hybrid bike . Nice paced.

Edited by Packanack

Beer and hemp protein -----hmmmmm sounds , well just delightful. :blink: But I think we would like your recipe.

We are going to try to go again this coming Sunday to Stewart State Park, leaving out of the parking lot at Weed Road and Rt. 207 at 7 AM or thereabouts. We enjoyed last Sunday so much.

While Stewart is a great caching opportunity it is also open to hunters. There are dog training workshops almost every other day with live ammunition. I believe that this weekend is the youth pheasant hunt, so wear your blaze orange and be careful.

Monksville Reservoir Area Hike

Planning on starting around sunrise from the LPIW Visitor Center tomorrow, Saturday. Planning on hitting up the area NJ1K peaks: Big Beach Mnt, Jennings Mnt, and Long Hill. Any caches along the way will be addressed.

Hike will be aggressive, just ask wjgrun. If interested, please PM me, email me, or reply to post.

I would so be interested, for nothing screams out FUN for a pudgy 61 year old than an agressive hike with Polskikrol , but I am committed to painting the kitchen tomorrow and was hoping to get over to the Apshawa CITO event for some time on Sunday. Maybe in the next lifetime. :lol:

Don't forget Apshawa CITO on Sunday.

A group of us are maintaining the Blue Trail in High Mtn. Wayne under auspices of NYNJTC. The same are going to walk the trail on Sunday morning at around 7:30 AM, leaving from the Chicopee Drive Trailhead, we are checking on downed trees from the storm, but cachers are welcomed to join in the walk and pick up the caches along the way, so if you would like to walk with a congenial group you are most welcomed.

We did our trail maintenance hike this AM on the Blue Trail at High Mountain, if other trails are in similar condition there is a lot of work for maintainers to perform, maybe Geocachers could look into helping out through the NYNJTC, or through some of the Cachers who maintain and may need some help. Ramapo, Citicar , Weathernowcast, accbd, stillnoname and I did yeomans duty ( especially Citicar as he went with Bob Simpson of the Wayne Environmental Commission and helped him on his trail yeserday) completed the trail and have it cleared, there was some minor rerouting needed and there are still a couple of spots with hanging deadwood as in the picture. Be careful if conditions are windy as we suspect there is a lot of wood hanging in the canopy.

8198bd8f-01a1-4b79-ab88-24e51c2a4b13.jpg

Better than Chinese food & a movie!

Buttaskotch sorta organized this one and asked me to share with all y'all.....

I don't usually have any Xmas plans. And this year its an Xmas weekend! Anyone else out there, looking for something to do?

I will be on a geocaching hike in South Mountain Reserve in Millburn, NJ. This park has at least 25 geocaches of various types and difficulties.

If its not too late, after conquering all caches in this park, I am going to attempt to locate all of the caches on the Branch Brook Power Trail (20 caches) in the East Orange area.

DIRECTIONS:

Driving Directions

Take Interstate Route 78 to Exit 50B (Maplewood, Millburn) and continue north on Vaux Hall Road for 0.7 mile. After crossing a bridge, turn left onto Millburn Avenue. In 0.5 mile, the traffic is routed to the right, onto Essex Street. After passing the Millburn railroad station, turn right onto Lackawanna Place. At the next intersection (Glen Avenue), turn right and then make an immediate left into the Locust Grove parking area.

Locust Grove off Glenn Ave

N 40 43.662, W 074 18.243, Milburn, NJ

0900 12/25/11

Mike

Keep in mind that seven of the BBP power trail caches are disabled/missing.

Better than Chinese food & a movie!

Buttaskotch sorta organized this one and asked me to share with all y'all.....

I don't usually have any Xmas plans. And this year its an Xmas weekend! Anyone else out there, looking for something to do?

I will be on a geocaching hike in South Mountain Reserve in Millburn, NJ. This park has at least 25 geocaches of various types and difficulties.

If its not too late, after conquering all caches in this park, I am going to attempt to locate all of the caches on the Branch Brook Power Trail (20 caches) in the East Orange area.

DIRECTIONS:

Driving Directions

Take Interstate Route 78 to Exit 50B (Maplewood, Millburn) and continue north on Vaux Hall Road for 0.7 mile. After crossing a bridge, turn left onto Millburn Avenue. In 0.5 mile, the traffic is routed to the right, onto Essex Street. After passing the Millburn railroad station, turn right onto Lackawanna Place. At the next intersection (Glen Avenue), turn right and then make an immediate left into the Locust Grove parking area.

Locust Grove off Glenn Ave

N 40 43.662, W 074 18.243, Milburn, NJ

0900 12/25/11

Mike

Redux

Sunday , 11-17-2013 at P8 top of Stephens Road off Union Valley Road , at 8AM help rehab the red trail . We are getting the old gang back together. Bring clippers, lopers, gloves and a smile. No I mean the old gang, but even young folks are welcome. Help with a trail conference effort to bring the red back to life.