Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

Great idea, bonfire on the ice,

I was thinking of having an Iron Chef Klondike Breakfast, but I couldn't sell anyone on the idea of bringing camp stoves and cooking breakfast. I even had the spot picked out, Ringwood Manor next to the stream.

That sounds like fun. For a long time I was thinking of a Sunday morn event on Wyanokie High Point. One summer morning I encountered a couple up there, sitting in beach chairs, reading the Sunday paper with a thermos of coffee and bagels and lox.

I thought it might be a nice idea for an event. Brunch on Wyanokie High Point.

Great idea, bonfire on the ice,

I was thinking of having an Iron Chef Klondike Breakfast, but I couldn't sell anyone on the idea of bringing camp stoves and cooking breakfast. I even had the spot picked out, Ringwood Manor next to the stream.

That sounds like fun. For a long time I was thinking of a Sunday morn event on Wyanokie High Point. One summer morning I encountered a couple up there, sitting in beach chairs, reading the Sunday paper with a thermos of coffee and bagels and lox.

I thought it might be a nice idea for an event. Brunch on Wyanokie High Point.

I would attend!

I was planning a Sunrise Stepoff for the Pine Barrens tomorrow, but I have been told it may not be a real good idea. So instead, I propose a little friendly competition, the prize shall be one 30 cal. decorated ammo can ready for hiding to the person who can come closest to predicting the location and amount of the official greatest snowfall amount in New Jersey for this coming blizzard. Decision of the judge is final, open only to authenticated members of a geocaching club in the State of NJ. Predictions must be posted by 9:00AM Saturday morning.

I am going with Medford Lakes and 18 inches.

6f83d663-65f3-4f16-b629-6679deb4357a.jpg

Edited by Packanack

The polls are now closed. The compilation department of our Sunrise Stepoff CPA firm, Dewey, Cheathum,Some, Moore and Howe will report results at some time in the future.

Mid Day Totals put me and wgrun closest, but the blizzard is not over until 7 PM. Mt. Laurel is at 21.5 inches as of noon. Bill picked Moorestown and I had Medford Lakes, but my snow total is closer, while I believe he may be 5 miles closer. Await late developments.

Here are some official snow totals as of 11:30 a.m. from the National Weather Service.

Atlantic City (Atlantic County): 12.3 inches

Beachwood (Ocean County): 10 inches

Blackwood (Camden County): 13 inches

Cape May (Cape May County): 11 inches

Cherry Hill (Camden County): 15 inches

Delran (Burlington County): 12 inches

Estell Manor (Atlantic County): 17.5 inches

Ewing (Mercer County): 9 inches

Flemington (Hunterdon County): 8 inches

Gloucester Township (Camden County): 17 inches

Greenwich Township (Warren County): 6 inches

Hammonton (Atlantic County): 14 inches

Kinnelon (Morris County) : 0 inches

Linwood (Atlantic County): 15 inches

Long Hill Township (Morris County): 2 inches

Lower Township (Cape May County): 15 inches

Manchester Township (Ocean County): 13 inches

Mantua (Gloucester County): 15 inches

Middle Township (cape May County): 14 inches

Millville (Cumberland County): 12 inches

Mount Holly (Burlington County): 15.2 inches

National Park (Gloucester County): 18 inches

Pine Hill (Camden County): 17 inches

Pleasantville (Atlantic County): 12.3 inches

Quinton (Salem County): 18 inches

Edited by Packanack

The polls are now closed. The compilation department of our Sunrise Stepoff CPA firm, Dewey, Cheathum,Some, Moore and Howe will report results at some time in the future.

Mid Day Totals put me and wgrun closest, but the blizzard is not over until 7 PM. Mt. Laurel is at 21.5 inches as of noon. Bill picked Moorestown and I had Medford Lakes, but my snow total is closer, while I believe he may be 5 miles closer. Await late developments.

Here are some official snow totals as of 11:30 a.m. from the National Weather Service.

Atlantic City (Atlantic County): 12.3 inches

Beachwood (Ocean County): 10 inches

Blackwood (Camden County): 13 inches

Cape May (Cape May County): 11 inches

Cherry Hill (Camden County): 15 inches

Delran (Burlington County): 12 inches

Estell Manor (Atlantic County): 17.5 inches

Ewing (Mercer County): 9 inches

Flemington (Hunterdon County): 8 inches

Gloucester Township (Camden County): 17 inches

Greenwich Township (Warren County): 6 inches

Hammonton (Atlantic County): 14 inches

Kinnelon (Morris County) : 0 inches

Linwood (Atlantic County): 15 inches

Long Hill Township (Morris County): 2 inches

Lower Township (Cape May County): 15 inches

Manchester Township (Ocean County): 13 inches

Mantua (Gloucester County): 15 inches

Middle Township (cape May County): 14 inches

Millville (Cumberland County): 12 inches

Mount Holly (Burlington County): 15.2 inches

National Park (Gloucester County): 18 inches

Pine Hill (Camden County): 17 inches

Pleasantville (Atlantic County): 12.3 inches

Quinton (Salem County): 18 inches

source: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/display_snow_from_pns.php

Highlighting the maximum recorded in each NJ County

NEW JERSEY

...GLOUCESTER COUNTY...

NATIONAL PARK 28.5 445 PM 2/6

...CAMDEN COUNTY...

CHERRY HILL 27.3 150 PM 2/6

...CAPE MAY COUNTY...

EL DORA 26.0 320 PM 2/6

...BURLINGTON COUNTY...

MOUNT LAUREL 21.5 1200 PM 2/6

...CUMBERLAND COUNTY...

VINELAND 19.8 1250 PM 2/6

...SALEM COUNTY...

QUINTON 19.0 915 AM 2/6

...ATLANTIC COUNTY...

ESTELL MANOR 17.5 830 AM 2/6

...OCEAN COUNTY...

BEACHWOOD 16.2 155 PM 2/6

...MONMOUTH COUNTY...

FREEHOLD 15.9 1230 PM 2/6

...MERCER COUNTY...

HAMILTON 15.0 925 AM 2/6

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...

PLAINSBORO 9.0 915 AM 2/6

...HUNTERDON COUNTY...

FLEMINGTON 8.3 145 PM 2/6

...SOMERSET COUNTY...

ROCKY HILL 8.0 915 AM 2/6

...WARREN COUNTY...

STEWARTSVILLE 5.1 700 AM 2/6

..UNION COUNTY...

RAHWAY 4.0 115 PM 2/6

...MORRIS COUNTY...

STIRLING 1.4 559 AM 2/6

...ESSEX COUNTY...

MILLBURN 1.0 745 AM 2/6

...HUDSON COUNTY...

HOBOKEN 0.3 1230 PM 2/6 SKYWARN SPOTTER

Oh, this is so confusing, so I think what I will do is prepare an ammo can for each of the 11 persons who logged in on the contest, even though I won for closest, I was not closest on depth, that was weathernowcast--go figure . So I will let you know when your can is done. 11 cans will take a couple of months. Email me if you have a particular motif or photo that I can try and draw on your can.

Thanks for playing. I must say that I was a little disappointed to awaken at 5 this AM without any new snow to be seen. I was looking forward to a day with nothing to do. As it was, I wound up working for a few hours on work stuff--until my wife dragged me off to the new REI store.

Edited by Packanack
I think what I will do is prepare an ammo can for each of the 11 persons who logged in on the contest

I know I did not win - no need to provide me a can. Though, I will certainly hide it if you do - I am enjoying the hiding nearly as much as the finding. I'm down to 2 cache containers and my wife will kill me if I spend any more money on geocaching. TFTC - Thanks for the Contest!

Bill

I think what I will do is prepare an ammo can for each of the 11 persons who logged in on the contest

I know I did not win - no need to provide me a can. Though, I will certainly hide it if you do - I am enjoying the hiding nearly as much as the finding. I'm down to 2 cache containers and my wife will kill me if I spend any more money on geocaching. TFTC - Thanks for the Contest!

Bill

JC Penny online you can get 8 Lock n Locks for $20

Bill

JC Penny online you can get 8 Lock n Locks for $20

good old JC Penney!

Wally can go to [COMMENT REMOVED FOR DECENCY]

whoo hoo!!

So , like maybe I was thinking (always a dangerous proposition) that I might like to go for a little walk on Sunday AM, but I have no particular design. Maybe like Pyramid Mtn, cause I hear there is a new cache going up there, or maybe to have coffee on top of Wyanokie High Point for Sunrise, or maybe just Cooper Union from Ringwood State Park to governors, or maybe just up to fire tower in Sterling Forest.

Few hours, anyone up for it ? Doesn't have to be a cache crazy hike, maybe just a little walk type of thing, and I will bring a box or two if we want to drop them. Suggestions. I actually am not looking to go too nuts as my pins have been giving me a lot of trouble this winter.

Edited by Packanack

So , like maybe I was thinking (always a dangerous proposition) that I might like to go for a little walk on Sunday AM, but I have no particular design. Maybe like Pyramid Mtn, cause I hear there is a new cache going up there, or maybe to have coffee on top of Wyanokie High Point for Sunrise, or maybe just Cooper Union from Ringwood State Park to governors, or maybe just up to fire tower in Sterling Forest.

Few hours, anyone up for it ? Doesn't have to be a cache crazy hike, maybe just a little walk type of thing, and I will bring a box or two if we want to drop them. Suggestions. I actually am not looking to go too nuts as my pins have been giving me a lot of trouble this winter.

Keep me posted on the location

I am goint to park on Morris Road, at the parking area along there then I am going to walk over the Cooper Union to Carletondale Road and then back, just a short 2 mile walk of so, but I noticed that it is something of a power trail and .....the park opens at 8 , so I am planning on being there as near that time as it possible.

Edited by Packanack

I am goint to park on Morris Road, at the parking area along there then I am going to walk over the Cooper Union to Carletondale Road and then back, just a short 2 mile walk of so, but I noticed that it is something of a power trail and .....the park opens at 8 , so I am planning on being there as near that time as it possible.

Citicar and I did the walk, Thanks for the good company-Pat. It is a most enjoyable morning when you can walk with a friend and spend a few hours in good conversation and some quiet contemplation. The caches on the very friendly trail are a pleasant diversion from the fun.

A couple of us are planning to do some Sunday morning bike rides--of the not too strenuous kind--one place will be the Orange Heritage Trail which is a cache friendly place--in case you are interested make note of it, as the weather turns warmer.

Cause (to use the youthful version of Because) we are scared to go into the woods cause the bears are out, we are taking our bicycles to NYC on Sunday and around 8 we are going to ride on the West Side Bike Way for about 20 miles or less cause we figure our butts and legs will give out. We plan on starting our ride at 8 AM and we figure to do some caching along the ride. If you want to join, send me an E Mail no later than 3 PM tomorrow as I can not promise response after that time. We are leaving the Packanack Lake Club House around 7 AM to arrive NYC for ride start around 8AM, weather is supposed to be nice. :)

Next ???Were coming to Brooklyn real soon, our plan de jur is to park in Manhattan, ride the bikeway south around the Battery, up and over the Brooklyn Bridge and to ride to find the Promenade. Seeing the Brooklyn Promenade is one of those life list things, as is the Brooklyn Bridge,

Next ???Were coming to Brooklyn real soon, our plan de jur is to park in Manhattan, ride the bikeway south around the Battery, up and over the Brooklyn Bridge and to ride to find the Promenade. Seeing the Brooklyn Promenade is one of those life list things, as is the Brooklyn Bridge,

I am still trying to figure out what that is on Brian's head

Weather permitting, Sunday Morning Bike Ride, from the Park and Ride Lot Monroe , NY --Museum Village location to Goshen NY, 10 miles up 10 miles back of course. Some caching opportunity in the immediate vicinity, and a great cup of coffee and scones upon arrival in Goshen. To leave parking lot around 7 AM.

Weather permitting, Sunday Morning Bike Ride, from the Park and Ride Lot Monroe , NY --Museum Village location to Goshen NY, 10 miles up 10 miles back of course. Some caching opportunity in the immediate vicinity, and a great cup of coffee and scones upon arrival in Goshen. To leave parking lot around 7 AM.

Any big hills?

http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/v/w/he...ports/index.htm

No hills, this is the Orange Heritage Trail, a rail trail conversion, it is table top flat--occassional railroad type of 1% grade--and is butter smooth pavement. With caching stops, it is a very doable ride for most everyone. Sorry if I was not clear on description.

Near Cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...46-53890ec088a1

Edited by Packanack

I hate to do this, but I worked half a day today, came home and got involved in a home repair project that I haven't yet finished at & PM, and need to finish tomorrow, so I will not be riding tomorrow. Also with temps projected in upper 20s for Monroe tomorrow

AM, I think you ought to go hiking instead. Sorry. Posted same to forum. Mainly the project unfinished is the problem.

PM sent to all who expressed interest with my apologies.

Do over , de ja vue---Orange County Trail, Monroe NY, Sunday early, from park and ride lot to Goshen. This is Ramapo's gig , any questions ask him. Bike Ride.

A few of us who are riding in the 5 Borough Bike Tour did a 30 mile ride on the North County Trailway in Westchester County on Sunday Last Past and would recommend it highly, several caches, and we hope to go back at some future time for caching and the like

It is supposed to be nice weatherwise over the weekend, and being that is is too soon to go back into the woods, I thought I would take my bike and go over to NYC early on Sunday morning and do some lower Manhattan or Central Park Bike Caching, I plan on leaving Wayne about 6:30 AM, the riding is easy, if anyone might like to give it a try.

We are trying to put a group together for a bike / cache /ride on the South County Trail in Westchester County, meeting Sunday @ N 41° 04.942 W 073° 49.839, at 7 AM, which is a very short distance over the Tappan Zee Bridge--first exit , Rt 9 N to Neperan Road, follow to parking lot at coords. Rail trail type riding, with caveat that we have never been here before. We have been at North County, but not South County.

So if you have a bike and want to come, please do.

Sunrise Stepoff stands for the blasphemous proposition that there is more to Geocaching than just finding . :drama:

Edited by Packanack

Picture perfect weather, we did about 23 miles of riding on South County Trail, while not as scenic as others in the area, it presents a cache rich environment if you are looking for some numbers. Our preference for riding was the North County Trail, but this one is certainly one to put on a list. A little side jog into a County Park brought us to this wonderful monument and memorial to the Great Hunger. Of historical note, the nearby Croton Aqueduct was constructed by legions of Irish refugees , who worked as near slaves in the construction process.

266f196c-62b9-48cc-8d22-9bda77ee2f45.jpg

Sunrise Stepoff stands for the blasphemous proposition that there is more to Geocaching than just finding .

Edited by Packanack

As I wrote in this topic, I am planning to hike (end-to-end) many of the longer named trails in the Ramapo/Ringwood parks and welcoming anyone interested/capable to join me.

Sunrise Stepoff

When: Sunday, June 13, 7:00AM

Where: Main Ramapo Reservation Lot on Route 202

Primary Route: Schuber (Orange) Trail (start to finish)

Return Route (optional): Todd (White) -> Yellow -> Yellow Silver -> Schuber (Orange)

The Schuber (Orange) trail is the primary goal of this hike. It's approximately 6.5 miles in length (one way), I will hike the length of the trail, then hike back to the main Route 202 parking lot. The other end of the trail is near the "upper" parking lot on Skyline Drive, so if you can arrange a ride, you don't have to hike all the way back (I guestimate the entire loop that I'll do to be just over 13 miles).

I have found "all" of the geocaches currently hidden in these parks, but there are plenty near the trail - and I certainly don't mind stopping for them!

Hope to see you there (please post if you plan to come)!

Bill