Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

Not to worry, there will be more......How are the parents ??? , One of our many topics of conversation on our walks is kids, of all ages, ...parents always worry.

Today , started out wet, chilly and breezy, ended wet , chilly and breezy. But we genuinely had a very nice time, we were graced along our hike by BrianSnat, who hid all of the caches we found, was instrumental in laying out and building trails and who gave us the historical perspective of this wonderful and underused park. Hate to say it, but it don't get much better than this.

Thanks guys for another enjoyable morning.

It was actually a very pleasant hike despite the foreboding forecast. There was a bit of rain but not enough to get us really wet. If it had rained any less, it would of been kind of disappointing. It didn't even seem cold to me. Now those who wore shorts might've thought differently but then at least their pants didn't get wet.

No bear sightings today. They had enough sense to sleep in.

Thanks to Brian for the trails and caches and to Packanack for suggesting that we go out on a cold, dark, rainy and windy Sunday morning. It was the highlight of the week.

aww mannn....I miss going out with you guys...been so freeking crazy with work, the weekends are filled simply with battery recharging....today MIGHt have been ok, except for some family passing thru for a visit...if I missed that Mom would be mad, and we don't want THAT....

next time...maybe

M

Thank you John for another interesting and fun Sunrise hike, even though we never did get to see the sun rise. :D It was a good hike with a really great group! I look forward to the next one.

I've been told that the sun actually did rise. This person said that even though we don't see the sun it is still there hidden behind the clouds. I didn't know whether to believe him or not, but he is usually not the kind of person who would lie to me.

For those who may long for a group caching experience, but unable to attend the Harriman Hike on Halloween, give some thought to bicycling caching, we plan to ride from Footbridge Park , Blairstown , NJ on Sunday, in a Northeasterly direction leaving out of there around 7:30AM and doing a couple of hours.

15a4524d-fdb2-4fa7-b6c1-37261d9dfeaa.jpg

We went, we rode, we got muddy, we saw some sights, and had a real fine morning. Trail is showing signs of deterioration , ride it while the riding is still possible. Thanks for all the cachers who placed hides along the way, we shall return . We were charmed by Blairstown,

Next up , possible hike in the area of Mahlon Dickinson

Edited by Packanack

This morning early, I got an E Mail asking me if I had any plans for this coming Sunday. November 15, 2009. The answer was an unpalatable one, my wife wants to refinish our den before Thanksgiving. Which means untold hours of work.

So here is the plan, Meet at the Picnic Area for Mahlon Dickinson Reservation an be ready to walk beginning at 7:30 AM, FOR two /three hour hike, out and home by around 11 so you can enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

If I am not there, start without me --it probably means my wife got tired of me and buried me in the backyard when I disagreed with color choices. If you have not come out on one of these, make it a point to come, as they are enjoyable and not terribly taxing, nice chat, nice folks. :)

Meet at the Picnic Area for Mahlon Dickinson Reservation an be ready to walk beginning at 7:30 AM, FOR two /three hour hike, out and home by around 11 so you can enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

It's "Mahlon Dickerson". right? I'm not familiar with the park - is the picnic area obvious? I'll be there, if I know where I'm going (and i'm not the only one). (I can do a couple more hours if anyone is up for a longer hike, just need to be heading home by 1:00pm).

Bill

Use Links

Print Maps

They say they have 4 areas, it should be listed as picnic area. I am coming over from 23 on OAK RIDGE RD, then going down Weldon Road I think it is near the office. It is clearly shown in first link as NUMBER 5. And yes it is Dickerson-- I am an old Bergen County Boy--where everything was Dickinson this and Dickinson that--my apologies to Mahlon.

http://www.morrisparks.net/aspparks/mahlondir.asp

http://www.morrisparks.net/aspparks/mahlonmain.asp

http://www.morrisparks.net/aspparks/mahlontr.asp

http://www.morrisparks.net/maps/zoomify/ZMahlonDickerson.asp

Edited by Packanack
They say they have 4 areas, it should be listed as picnic area. I am coming over from 23 on OAK RIDGE RD, then going down Weldon Road I think it is near the office. It is clearly shown in first link as NUMBER 5. And yes it is Dickerson-- I am an old Bergen County Boy--where everything was Dickinson this and Dickinson that--my apologies to Mahlon.

OK - I see it now, I'll be there.

Bill

I am trying to guage interest for the END OF DAYS HIKE on 01022010

As you may have heard, the Mayan calendar has created quite a stir.

What has happened is others have chimed in with their own private brand of whackiness, and the latest one is January 02,2010 or as they like to say 01022010-- a Palindromic date. These folks, mainly from California say that it is auspicious that the numbers read the same forward and backward.

So I was asked to plan a hike for that day. But I want to do it differently from Sunrise hikes, I want to have coffee at sunset at the Stone Living Room. So we are planning on leaving from the Otterhole parking lot at 3:30 to arrive at SLR for the sunset at 4:40 and then beat feet back to the parking lot before dark

Anyone interested , anyone interested in making an event of it ?

I had never heard of this place - after searching, I found GC1302 - looks like a great spot! It looks like there are 6 other caches not too far from SLR (including 3 north of the road). Would you be planning to hit any of those on the way to SLR? If not, I'd probably go a little early and look for any of them you'd be skipping.

-Bill

What has happened is others have chimed in with their own private brand of whackiness, and the latest one is January 02,2010 or as they like to say 01022010-- a Palindromic date. These folks, mainly from California say that it is auspicious that the numbers read the same forward and backward.

So I was asked to plan a hike for that day. But I want to do it differently from Sunrise hikes, I want to have coffee at sunset at the Stone Living Room. So we are planning on leaving from the Otterhole parking lot at 3:30 to arrive at SLR for the sunset at 4:40 and then beat feet back to the parking lot before dark

If I'm in the area I'm game. An event would be cool.

You should make it an event!

I will be travelling that day--perhaps I should change my plans.

Some people suggested an EVENT, because they do not frequent the forums and might miss the announcement, so it was listed as and Event. It is possible to subscribe to a forum, through the your control panel settings, that way you can get e mail notices direct to you.

Cache Listing

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...g=&numlogs=

So for event purposes, be at the Stone Living Room at 4:40PM for sunset, I plan on leaving the Otter Hole Parking lot around 3:30 to give myself some time to sit and drink Hot Chocolate and wait for the sun to go down. I am hoping that there might somehow be a couple of new caches in the vicinity before the time comes, but that is up in the air right at the moment.

so, meester weathernowcast...just how freekin' cold & windy do you expect it to be?

do we wanna meet somewhere to hike in?

M

The weather should be fairly seasonal so dress for it:

sn30.jpgnbkn.jpgcold.jpg

Mostly cloudy, 22. Northwest wind between 18 and 22 mph, with gusts to 30 mph. 30% chance of light snow showers. Wind Chill of 9. Should be a great hike. I am sorry I am missing it.

I hear John makes the best coffee east of Seattle so you should be fine.

Suggest that those with intereste check the link out, a number of folks are saying they are going to Osio Overlook and for what it is worth, you can hike over on Red and come back up on Blue to the Stone Living Room and catch the new caches on your way out along with Y Rock. If you are going over to Osio on red, you should probaly plan to be on trail at about 3 PM, there are trail maps at the kiosk in parking area.

A thorough description of the area is in the link, however the rater has a reputation for rating hikes lower than they actually are, he rates as moderate, I think it a little harder than moderate for Osio. But he is young and svelte and I old and zaftig :rolleyes:

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/OsioRock_5602.asp

Is anyone going to try to grab the three caches on the other side? On 12/27, packanack noted that "the river was raging impassable today" - anyone know if there's a good spot to cross nearby or if the water may have subsided? If possible, I'd like to try to grab all 9 caches and can be there any time if anyone else is up for it.

Errr, East of Seattle, that would be Dunkin Donuts....This is a BYOT, bring your own thermos. :rolleyes:

I was going to say east of the APE cache because of the Twin Peaks (filmed in north Bend, WA) reference to the dadgum good coffee but considered that too obtuse. Sadly, i will be closer to North Bend Washington then your event on Saturday. Have fun!

sn30.jpgnbkn.jpgcold.jpg

Mostly cloudy, 22. Northwest wind between 18 and 22 mph, with gusts to 30 mph. 30% chance of light snow showers. Wind Chill of 9. Should be a great hike. I am sorry I am missing it.

so, in other words, PFC, with the 'breeze' making it RFC?

M

sn30.jpgnbkn.jpgcold.jpg

so, in other words, PFC, with the 'breeze' making it RFC?

M

I would say fairly seasonal. In Wisconsin, this would be Springlike. LOL

I would like to have an event. But it is a different kind of event.

In order to do this I would kind of need to gauge interest for it involves a commitment. When my children were in Middle School and HS, I would take their youth group to volunteer , per the link. It was a means of establishing some form of social responsibility. Would anyone be interested in possibly joining this effort, and maybe making an event of it for NNJC

I am looking for feedback --either positive or negative. Please review the link before commenting.

http://www.njfoodbank.org/site/PageServer?..._Help_volunteer

Edited by Packanack

This year we may actually make it a point to find a cache along the way.

Every year for several years, I have invited some fellow cachers to join me in the 5 Borough Bike Tour ride in NYC. Sign up this year begins February [/s]2 1. It usually sells out. So if anyone might have an inkling, I would be glad to have you join our little group. The ride itself is Sunday May 2

Last year we were lashed by cold, soaking rain, our brake pads wore out, hundreds of riders became hypothermic, lots of people down on slippery roads. Hey, it doesn't get much better than this. Let me know.

Next, is anyone planning on doing anything ? Surely someone must be planning something ?

Edited by Packanack

I would like to have an event. But it is a different kind of event.

In order to do this I would kind of need to gauge interest for it involves a commitment. When my children were in Middle School and HS, I would take their youth group to volunteer , per the link. It was a means of establishing some form of social responsibility. Would anyone be interested in possibly joining this effort, and maybe making an event of it for NNJC

I am looking for feedback --either positive or negative. Please review the link before commenting.

http://www.njfoodbank.org/site/PageServer?..._Help_volunteer

yes

This year we may actually make it a point to find a cache along the way.

Every year for several years, I have invited some fellow cachers to join me in the 5 Borough Bike Tour ride in NYC. Sign up this year begins February [/s]2 1. It usually sells out. So if anyone might have an inkling, I would be glad to have you join our little group. The ride itself is Sunday May 2

Last year we were lashed by cold, soaking rain, our brake pads wore out, hundreds of riders became hypothermic, lots of people down on slippery roads. Hey, it doesn't get much better than this. Let me know.

Next, is anyone planning on doing anything ? Surely someone must be planning something ?

I am not planning on doing anything.

I am not planning on doing anything

Not even the Bank Job ? :ph34r:

Ok, while you are hanging out, maybe you can convince someone to come up with an event. I suggest.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=30789

I was thinking of doing a "Fire on Ice" event, with a bonfire on a frozen lake. This week's bout of global warming however has put that on hold. Stay tuned if the weather gets cold again.

Edited by briansnat