Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

KAYAK DEMO DAYS--I saw that EMS, Eastern Mountain Sports is having their kayak demo day this coming Sunday 8./9/2009 at Graydon Swimming area Ridgewood, NJ from 9 to noon. These things are great for those who might have an interest , so that you can see what kind of boats are available. Thought it might be of benefit to some who have said they wanted to give paddling a try.

Doing the caches of Split Rock Reservoir by paddle is one of life's great pleasures.

Well, I was kind of decided that I wanted to attend the Kayak Demo Days, as I really want to look at and paddle a sit on top. But I can be convinced to go out at 7 AM or thereabouts on Sunday and put this one to bed for good. GC1VPF0

I will not go unless I have a total of no less than 5 seekers. Sign up begins now. There is about a total of a mile of bushwacking, limited trail. But in the nature of obsession, this is as good as it gets.

I'm up for that one. I drive that section of 287 to work very day and want to do some of those caches in that area and in the nearby Mountainside Park. Maybe with a group effort we can put this one to bed. It would be a good one for my 300th.

Paul

Edited by PaulThBrit

The more the merrier! Another set of eyes may be what we need to claim this illusive one.

That's right - the more the merrier! You will get to meet a group of very nice people (and Packanack too) and you will have a 1/9th share of a FTF if we are lucky.

Edited by citicar1976

9/20/09--- Macatac Loop---I KNOW THAT SEVERAL FOLKS HAVE EXPRESSED AN INTEREST IN THIS HIKE, SO I AM SUGGESTING IT FOR A SUNRISE STEPOFF

Ok, I have put it down for announcement and calendar purposes for September 20, 2009, from the County Park Side, more details as we approach. The ususual out early.

THIS SEEMED TO BE THE BEST COMPROMISE DATE ,as there are the following:

GC1WDWN August 23 Donut Hike

GC1WCTN August 15 Dog Event

GC1WNX8 GONE--

Vacation and Early Sept, labor day and back to school conflicts militate against an earlier date. Pushing back will tend to step on the GONE event. We have been particularly attentive to ongoing event schedules to avoid stepping on events that others would like to participate in.

Edited by Packanack
9/20/09--- Macatac Loop---I KNOW THAT SEVERAL FOLKS HAVE EXPRESSED AN INTEREST IN THIS HIKE, SO I AM SUGGESTING IT FOR A SUNRISE STEPOFF

Ok, I have put it down for announcement and calendar purposes for September 20, 2009, from the County Park Side, more details as we approach. The ususual out early.

THIS SEEMED TO BE THE BEST COMPROMISE DATE ,as there are the following:

GC1WDWN August 23 Donut Hike

GC1WCTN August 15 Dog Event

GC1WNX8 GONE--

Vacation and Early Sept, labor day and back to school conflicts militate against an earlier date. Pushing back will tend to step on the GONE event. We have been particularly attentive to ongoing event schedules to avoid stepping on events that others would like to participate in.

I _might_ be able to make that date. My bike club pre-ride of our charity event on the 26th is the weekend before and I don't have that date yet. If it's the same day I will have to make a decision to do it or do this.

By the way, if anyone wants to do our ride I won't post a link because the PTB might disapprove but it's called Tour of the Hamptons on 9-26th and there are tons of caches out there on the East End :) I am sure a google search will bring it right up.

ETA the club pre-ride is the 19th so count me in woohooo!

Edited by hallycat

My vacation for 2009, is over, I have dutifully packed children off to college, I have Labor Day weekend staring me in the face, and I am thinking I might want to go out for a couple of hours early on Sunday, cause I am not going anywhere in particular. Is anyone interested in possibly putting something together ?

There are a couple of kayak caches on Monksville

There is mountain bike on the D&R Canal

There is biking on the West Side Bikeway

There is a hike to Passaic County High Point

There is shopping at Home Depot

Not to worry, there was no expressed interest, so nothing got planned. Some of the regulars have gone off in different directions, and there are so many conflicts in schedules these days that I can't predict if we will even continue to try and put them together. We have done well over 50 of these, no gimmick group hikes, bikes, paddles - only two were classed as events-- one CITO , and I started them so I am reluctant to see them go the way of the dinosaur, but it is difficult to generate the necessary interest and consensus, with competing schedules and interest. Maybe we will try again as time permits.

Edited by Packanack

Not to worry, there was no expressed interest, so nothing got planned. Some of the regulars have gone off in different directions, and there are so many conflicts in schedules these days that I can't predict if we will even continue to try and put them together. We have done well over 50 of these, no gimmick group hikes, bikes, paddles - only two were classed as events-- one CITO , and I started them so I am reluctant to see them go the way of the dinosaur, but it is difficult to generate the necessary interest and consensus, with competing schedules and interest. Maybe we will try again as time permits.

Don't give up! I'm definitely interested in the hiking trips that are close by..

Bill

Anyone up for a rain or rain walk on Sunday , one cache and one cache only. :D GC1DD2W Bear hunting the rest of the time. Use Waypoint for your 4 mile radius PQ.

Two/three hours --7:30AM meet up at Burnt Meadow Road, home in time to watch football or drink lattes in your den all afternoon.

Come in from the North and meet at GC1HFPN,wearing suitable clothing and a smile.

Edited by Packanack

Ok, we are on, I got a positive response, so I am going.

Un named cacher has E Mailed the following:

Well I don't want to be the wimp who says you are out of your mind to consider going out on a dark, cold, windy and rainy Sunday morning when you could be toasty warm in bed.

Strangely, he is the only one who doesn't want to tell me I am out of my mind......hmmmm.

Should be a different brand of fun, I hear the bears are moving around, maybe we will see a few.