Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

John , Paul, George and Richard (What no Ringo) went out this morning, and we had a very nice time of it. To keep with our British theme, we has rain, drizzle, fog but we also had good company and a very good series of caches placed by our friend weathernowcast. Well worth it. Next up, the Lake Sonoma area, keep your eye open for a future announcement.12663aaa-eae2-4bab-8a25-b9804eb5555d.jpg

Edited by Packanack

John , Paul, George and Richard (What no Ringo) went out this morning, and we had a very nice time of it. To keep with our British theme, we has rain, drizzle, fog but we also had good company and a very good series of caches placed by our friend weathernowcast. Well worth it. Next up, the Lake Sonoma area, keep your eye open for a future announcement.

glad you had a good time! what kind of clouds did you see?

Brian - we saw every kind of cloud known to man - including the well-known Cumulo-Stradivarius, the so-called 'musical cloud'!! We had to use our imagination though because everything was shrouded in misty rain!

Thanks for bringing us here for a great series of caches.

Paul

Polskikrol & ACCBD near the second cache of the day - Nimbostratus:

P3297986.jpg

Polskikrol, Packanack & ACCBD at a flooded mine shaft close to Cirrocumulus cache:

P3297989.jpg

Edited by PaulThBrit

Had lots of fun this morning tackling Weathernowcast's Cloud Series in Long Pond Ironworks. The weather may not have been the best however one could not have asked for better company!

Tracklog Summary:

Length: 3.8 mi

Area: 0.2 sq mi

Elapsed Time: 3:10:15

Avg. Speed: 1.2 mph

Tracklog:

e7751f8b-662e-44a0-a001-54175d122f26.jpg

Vertical Profile:

4d44c92d-d239-4692-80ea-5373c3c76983.jpg

SUNDAY--EARY

SUSSEX BRANCH TRAIL FROM WARBASSE JUNCTION TO BRANCHVILLE

Total miles somewhere around 15 , via mountain and or trail type bicycle, should be some caches present. Maybe a detour or so, plan on arriving Warbasse for a 7:30 AM ride .

This is a rail trail, it is table top flat, this section is lightly used, and tends to be more narrow than other rail trails, but it is interesting in that it traverses some pretty countryside. This is not a ride for hammers, this is a gentile ride, where even the most uninitiated will find it doable. So do not be intimidated by the reference to mountain bikes.

Edited by Packanack

Our small group did make the ride covering 15 miles, It had been a couple of years since I had ridden this part of the Sussex Branch Trail, those couple of years have not been particularly kind to the trail, It is now more of a mountain bike only excursion, the trail can only be described as falling into disuse and will most likely be a footnote in the not too distant future, much like the old farmsteads we passed. Although the area promised to be a cache rich bicycling cache location, the actuality fell short. Only one of the 6 caches logged was found intact. Not a highly recommended trip.

515fcb0d-94cd-49f4-9183-abd8ee26ff22.jpg

Our group of 10 finished the 5 Borough Bike Tour on a very wet Sunday, and unlike last year we logged not a single cache. Note I said finished, not completed.

But we had such a wonderful time mocking our great idiocy that we have decided we want an encore. You have to pay for fun like this, Oh, yeah --we did .

So we are thinking of caching the West Hudson Bikeway and perhaps lower Manhattan by bike, we are also thinking of adding Central Park as a bike cache venue. Post your interest here, it won't be until probably several weeks to a month off.

I also did the bike tour, but did not meet up with the group. Apparently we were lined up for the start within the same block though, so maybe they are in this picture somewhere? :( I also did not do any caches although I'm sure I rode by dozens :P

b388f155-37a3-4b09-bea2-0e2d7900e881.jpg

p.s. I'm interested in Central Park biking, etc...

Edited by trowel32

I did the marshaling gig Sunday. Too bad it rained, what a trip!

I know there were so many marshals you might not notice one but I was wearing a big yellow rain poncho on the corner of 135th st where you turned off Adam Clayton Powell to head out of Harlem into the Bronx.

I was in bike shorts and my white legs from about the knees down were sticking out, I was surprised how many comments about "nice legs" I got from the riders. :P

Lots of Thanks for volunteering's too. Did see Mmacgown and Sakiman who stopped to chat for a few minutes.

I might be up for a Manhattan bike trip depending on dates.

Amazing, I looked at Trowels photo, and we were probably only 100 yards apart. My picture looking downtown, hers looking uptown.

For future reference --This event is a premier NYC event that takes place first Sunday in May, and although I said "Never Again" after this years ride--still mad about the debacle at Astoria Park-- put it down on your calendar for next year.

We will try and schedule NYC ride for early June. In this picture you will see 2 undocumented workers on their bicycles trying to get to work at a local diner. No lie.

c1b68e3f-62bc-4902-b246-039a445681dd.jpg

Our group of 10 finished the 5 Borough Bike Tour on a very wet Sunday, and unlike last year we logged not a single cache. Note I said finished, not completed.

Actually, a few members of Packanack's group did not have the sense to come in from the rain and did complete the tour although it is true that we did not go after any geocaches.

May 31--Sunday---Catch the 8AM NY Waterways from Weehawken to 39th street. Bike cache south to lower Manhattan, along the Bikeway, possible to cache in financial district, Battery Park area, South Street--for coffee and possible bike across the Brooklyn Bridge

I have gone on this ride several times, it is a most enjoyable trip and ride. Let me know.

Thread Bump, we are riding on Sunday, do plan to ferry from Weehawken to 39th Street, our goal cache for the trip is Frank Farrington's view and we hope to be able to do a few others, we plan on riding about 3 hours. This will probably be one of our last NYC bike rides for awhile.

We have discussed doing a ride on the North County Trailway in Westchester County, so stay tuned. Oh, forget I said that, you people are tuned most of the time anyway.

Thread Bump, we are riding on Sunday, do plan to ferry from Weehawken to 39th Street, our goal cache for the trip is Frank Farrington's view and we hope to be able to do a few others, we plan on riding about 3 hours. This will probably be one of our last NYC bike rides for awhile.

We have discussed doing a ride on the North County Trailway in Westchester County, so stay tuned. Oh, forget I said that, you people are tuned most of the time anyway.

What time are you going out?

We are leaving from Wayne NJ, at 7 , which should allow us to get the first NY Waterway boat over, which will put us on the bikeway at around 8:10 to 8:15 and from there we plan to go south and to cache our way down and around Battery, to South Street, to Brooklyn Bridge and whatever.

For those seeking a different take on caching, we recommend taking the NY Waterways ferry into NYC, along with your bicycle, and heading out on the Hudson River Bikeway. I have done this a number of times and each time it is a great outing. I noted some of the logs from yesterday showed Geril driving up to Staten Island and taking the Staten Island Ferry to NYC and doing the same basic route in reverse, so put this one on your list of things to do. Well worth the trip. We rode down and around to the Brooklyn Bridge and the views from up there are something that everyone should experience in their lifetime.

fd01559e-a549-4f51-864c-a762dad1d719.jpg

Some riding, some tourist stuff, some caching.

Done, and a spectacularly fun outing for the 4 of us who did it. The energy in NY on a summer weekend is amazing, yesterday there was a road race in Central Park, which we had opportunity to ride next to. There were people "running" , who lacked legs and arms, people on crutches and people with their support teams,

later on the Gay Rights Parade was to take place and we got to see the Gay and Lesbian Motorcycle Club enroute to the parade. All these people celebrating life and having fun.

I finally got to bag 5 Star New York a great, great NYC cache. We will probably do it again in Sept.

But one of the guys asked: What do you think people would like to do ?

Suggestions on the celebration of life cheerfully accepted.

I am kind of thinking of having a winter event that would involve a Yukon Breakfast Cookoff and hike to follow, would anyone be interested ? We would meet, cook breakfast and then hike .

I am kind of thinking of having a winter event that would involve a Yukon Breakfast Cookoff and hike to follow, would anyone be interested ? We would meet, cook breakfast and then hike .

Only if there is snow on the ground! Would suggest Worthington as it is quite lovely in the snow :D

Well, we will certainly take that under advisement, but George we are thinking in terms of energizing a nascent NNJ Geocaching Community, as TRL and Avroair have caught the last train for the Coast taking Events and planning activity with them.

I am not even sure that there is any interest in conducting/attending these types of group social caching activities.

The only reason why I bring it up, is one of the regular attendees remarked that he really enjoys the outings and would be looking for similar activities.

So I was more like picking the brains of others,to see if there was any further interest. Is anyone interested in running /sponsoring/attending these types of things ?

I am cross threading for purposes of encouraging those who might be interested to come on out.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=225956

On the general geocaching forum there was a query about "Who caches on bike?" , and of course I have to chime in, because a group of us, who also hike have been doing the bike cache thing for awhile, and I have to tell you, it is a great time and a great change of pace and with the skeeters looking to suck you dry in the woods it might be to your liking.

We are actually planning (not merely thinking about it) but we really do make plans to go and we actually coordinate meeting and transportation , our next couple of rides. We want to do the Hudson Greenway Northern End in NYC and also the North County Rail Trail in Westchester County. Our next ride date as such is looking like July 19, Sunday , we go early come home early-to allow for family time and the like on Sunday-we welcome everyone--so don't be bashful. So even if you don't know if you would like it, don't be afraid to ask. I really am not as grumpy as everyone says I am. hmmmmm ?

So dust off that bike, pump up the tires and send me an E Mail if interested or if you might have any questions. Such as equipment or the like This past Sunday we actually really really stunk at finding caches, I mean our caching licenses were almost revoked, but we simply had a great time doing Central Park for the second week in a row.

We walked almost as much as we rode and just had a fantastic time.

455d79ab-9914-4640-be71-d8ae2fb13eeb.jpg

Edited by Packanack

I'm interested in the old style Sunrise step-offs but I am not into biking or kayaking. Some of these summer mornings are spectacular and the last group event (the Watergap hike organized by mblatch) was well attended and enjoyable.

I need to start getting my strength back after coming down with Lyme on the last caching expedition!

Paul

Mr. Dolphins writes:

But, you couldn't even find an easy cache like Bear on the Loose!

Packanack responds:

I can't even find my butt with both hands.

Harry it is one of those spots I want to return to again and again.

Paul the Brit seeks hike, response-- How does Sterling Forest Fire Tower/Blue Lake early August , no caches, great hike sound. accbd and I did that in winter, was nice. 5 mile not too bad --who would like to be in.

Towards the end of the month I may plan an Event Cache hike in lower Harriman State Park... just got the Harriman Trails book which is very informative and thus the hike could be made interesting to pass some spots of interest. Of course if we happen to stumble over a cache or two..... :) Currently thinking about Sunday, August 2nd... any interest?

Would anyone like to try an afternoon/evening paddle at either Monksville Res or Green Turtle Pond, 7/21-7/23 Tues-Weds-Thurs. I have two boats but can only transport one at a time, so if someone would like to borrow (canoe) one, arrangements can be made . If you would like to come along, I will carry a canoe and take you along , but that is first come first served. It has come to my attention that Summer is fleeting.

Arrive around 5 to 5:30 and finish about 2 -2.5 hours later.

Edited by Packanack

Would anyone like to try an afternoon/evening paddle at either Monksville Res or Green Turtle Pond, 7/21-7/23 Tues-Weds-Thurs. I have two boats but can only transport one at a time, so if someone would like to borrow (canoe) one, arrangements can be made . If you would like to come along, I will carry a canoe and take you along , but that is first come first served. It has come to my attention that Summer is fleeting.

Arrive around 5 to 5:30 and finish about 2 -2.5 hours later.

I'm probably good for that and depending on the night, could use a partner.

Looking to give Green Turtle Pond a try on Wednesday, weather permitting, arrival about 5:30 PM, spend a couple of hours paddling around, maybe soak a line, maybe look for a couple of caches , I will bring a canoe, which will allow for another rider. I was in Monksville yesterday morning, did one cache by boat, most enjoyable pursuit.

Looking to give Green Turtle Pond a try on Wednesday, weather permitting, arrival about 5:30 PM, spend a couple of hours paddling around, maybe soak a line, maybe look for a couple of caches , I will bring a canoe, which will allow for another rider. I was in Monksville yesterday morning, did one cache by boat, most enjoyable pursuit.

Due to predicted thunderstorms for late today, I will not be heading up.

Due to predicted thunderstorms for late today, I will not be heading up.

sissy!

How did you find out. Well I had to blame it on the weather, I could not tell the truth , which is that my wife said I had to get home and make sure that I got all the escape routes in the backyard fence closed up. Cause our new family member thinks that he can slip through at will.

8d971842-a00e-4fc9-a898-65709a0a772b.jpg

a wise gentleman once said "It has come to my attention that Summer is fleeting." that being the case I am heading to splitrock reservoir Sunday am (8:00 put in) to pick up some of the paddling caches - open to company. The weather looks like it will cooperate.

Sunday, Aug 2

Day

High: 81°F RealFeel®: 85°F

Times of clouds and sun with a shower or thunderstorm possible in the afternoon

View the Hour-by-Hour Forecast

Winds: S at 4mph

Wind Gusts: 8 mph

a wise gentleman once said "It has come to my attention that Summer is fleeting." that being the case I am heading to splitrock reservoir Sunday am (8:00 put in) to pick up some of the paddling caches - open to company. The weather looks like it will cooperate.

Sunday, Aug 2

Day

Interested but don't know where you're talking about. Coords or caches names would be helpful.

splitrock reservoir Put in cords N 40° 57.757 W 074° 27.525

Approximate coordinates of parking area on Splitrock Road. Put in is a short carry down the hill. There is no boat ramp so don't bring a boat you can't carry

Caches on the lake:

Snake Rock

Kaptain Kondict's Krazy Kanoe Kache

By Boat or By Boot: Four Birds

Le Rocher Pendu

By Boat or By Boot: Box of Clams

Island In The Sun

By Boot or by Boat: Split Rock

Oceanus Procellarum

hope this helps

Sunday, Aug 2

Day

Hello,

If I'm able to go, do you have room in your boat or for that matter does anyone else joining you have space for extra body.

Thanks

Tom

Sunday, Aug 2

Day

Hello,

If I'm able to go, do you have room in your boat or for that matter does anyone else joining you have space for extra body.

Thanks

Tom

I'm thinking about going and would have room for 1 in my canoe.