Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

On this coming Sunday, I am still planning (weather permitting) to board the first 8 AM, NY Waterway Ferry from Weehawken to NYC for a leisurely bike ride down the bikeway around to South Street Seaport and environs for some sight seeing and gentle caching activity. Any one who might be interested is welcome to join. Let me know if I should keep an eye out for you. :huh:

Anyone interested in chasing 5 Star New York by bicycle this coming Sunday morning. Very early start.

Anyone interested in a carriage road ride at Minnewaska State Park for October

Anyone interested in a Terrace Pond --High Points hike in October or November

These were a couple of the suggestions received recently. The request were to return to the original format.

Pick a location, have a planned activity and perhaps incorporated some caching into the activity. Any other suggestions are welcomed, and of course persons interested in putting it together are even more welcomed, nah, they are revered. :D

Anyone interested in chasing 5 Star New York by bicycle this coming Sunday morning. Very early start.

These were a couple of the suggestions received recently. The request were to return to the original format.

Pick a location, have a planned activity and perhaps incorporated some caching into the activity. Any other suggestions are welcomed, and of course persons interested in putting it together are even more welcomed, nah, they are revered. :huh:

carriage ride sounds lovely!

Pick a location, have a planned activity and perhaps incorporated some caching into the activity. Any other suggestions are welcomed, and of course persons interested in putting it together are even more welcomed, nah, they are revered. :huh:

1. No==too late notice

2: yes

3: yes

Got no response to my 1st choice

Having completed most of the visits to the stages, I plan on trying to get the remainder under my belt a week from Sunday, by bike of course, and from there I plan on visiting the place where I believe the cache is hidden.

Ok, we shall begin trying to stake out time and dates for Minnewaska Bicycle Carriage Road Ride and search for the mythical Orange Circle . Legend has it that there is but one true High Point in Passaic County, it is marked by a fading Orange Circle. I believe that Harry Dolphin has placed a cache closest to that mythical Orange Circle. We shall attempt to find.

1. Minnewaska Bike Ride on Carriage Roads

2. Terrace Pond High Point Hike

3. How about another CITO, we had a highly successful one in April 08

4. Anyone interested in a Hide a Cache Throw Down Event type of thing ?

Ok, How about October 19 for Minnewaska Bike Ride.

Edited by Packanack

The only problem in hunting season. Is there an interest in going there, or should I wait until spring?

You don't necessarily have to wait.

When do they hunt in NY, Jersey has no Sunday Hunting. Jersey also does not have rifle hunting. If you have no Sunday hunting, see if you can do an Early December Sunday.

We might be going to Terrace Pond in November to hit the high point. If weather is nice this Sunday some of us plan on going to Minnewaska to ride the carriage roads for awhile.

I believe we simply must do this as a Sunrise Stepoff

Harry Dolphin has flippered us off. :laughing: This is a bear knuckled brawl. Harry said that there were going to be some new caches in the High Point of Passaic County area. How about a November 8 Sunrise attempt to bag these bad boys. Terrace Pond is a beautiful area for hiking. Anyone interested in going. anyone interested in running the show.

dfe40d2c-163f-475e-a572-aa8b1dc6a1f4.jpg108bfbe7-153e-4a4e-b779-7831bf7e2db5.jpg

Every once in awhile, the stars are in alignment and you have the company, the destination, the weather and the activity that produce a "Lifetime Day", one you hope to remember for the rest of your lifetime.

We had that today, thanks for coming guys.

47533f29-ac68-4855-8d5e-02dfa2385406.jpg

1c1f54bf-afde-4e46-8d52-95704e000dfa.jpg

d33f60a6-838f-4d26-8adb-b9821ef00478.jpg

Edited by Packanack

[quote

Terrace Pond hike in November sounds good to me.

Paul

Terrace Pond area is within the Wawayanda Park. So if you were planning to do, shift your plans over to the event instead.

I will not open a Sunrise Stepoff for the week before, instead plan to attend the event .

See listing at:

GC1HDRX For Event details.

Edited by Packanack

This Sunday I'm thinking about heading over to Wanaque and hiking up and back down the ridge, hitting the caches between Windbeam Along Highland Trail and B...B...B...Board! while the leaves still look nice. The distance and incline are intermediate and won't be an issue if you're not a couch potato. The pace won't be killer, but the views should be. Rain might cancel. All interested are welcome.

This Sunday I'm thinking about heading over to Wanaque and hiking up and back down the ridge, hitting the caches between Windbeam Along Highland Trail and B...B...B...Board! while the leaves still look nice. The distance and incline are intermediate and won't be an issue if you're not a couch potato. The pace won't be killer, but the views should be. Rain might cancel. All interested are welcome.

Did that trip a few weeks ago. Left one car at the south end on Mary Post Dr by the ballfields and started at the north end at White Rd. The views are excellent and worth the trip. If you start at the north end the climb is pretty stiff, but not nearly as bad as the climb up Windbeam from the south.

Edited by briansnat

Distance on this one should be between six and seven miles. Parking is at the Wanaque Reservoir Gate 17 (N 41° 04.462 W 074° 18.265). Departure at 11:00am. If we're not feeling so adventurous, we can leave a car at White Rd. (N 41° 06.455 W 074° 17.941) and make it a one-way hike.

Distance on this one should be between six and seven miles. Parking is at the Wanaque Reservoir Gate 17 (N 41° 04.462 W 074° 18.265). Departure at 11:00am. If we're not feeling so adventurous, we can leave a car at White Rd. (N 41° 06.455 W 074° 17.941) and make it a one-way hike.

We may be able to do this one :(

I just checked the link and I have one question . It shows no kids or strollers I am taking that to mean the trail would be difficult for small children . I ask becuase my 2 girls are 2.75 and 3.75 years old . I was thinking this might be fun for them as well as I . Or am I mistaking in what the icons mean on the cache listing ?

I just checked the link and I have one question . It shows no kids or strollers I am taking that to mean the trail would be difficult for small children . I ask becuase my 2 girls are 2.75 and 3.75 years old . I was thinking this might be fun for them as well as I . Or am I mistaking in what the icons mean on the cache listing ?

Because of their size, relative shortness of stride and (likely) quickness to tire, I would recommend against taking your daughters on the hike to 'Ay Caramba!' after the Donut event, because it is a rather long and arduous hike. The terrain is steep, rocky, and uneven in places, and unpaved all the way through. However, the event itself is listed at an easily reachable grove not far from a parking area.

Thanks that is kind of what I thought , but I wanted to check . They are pretty good with inclined terrain , but no need to test their ability on something that I would have to carry them back from . They can cover about 1 and a half miles in a trip before they realy start to get tired and antsy. So for now we will skip this . And thank you again .

I am planning to go this Sunday, either to Passaic County High Point hiking in from Clinton Road.

or to place 4 or 5 new caches in Ringwood , or to see Maneater. Stepping off at 7:30 , if anyone is interested in coming along. My order of preference is as set forth above. The High Point area experienced a severe ice storm last night and must be closely watched for conditions, which would move Ringwood up on my list.

I am planning to go this Sunday, either to Passaic County High Point hiking in from Clinton Road.

or to place 4 or 5 new caches in Ringwood , or to see Maneater. Stepping off at 7:30 , if anyone is interested in coming along. My order of preference is as set forth above. The High Point area experienced a severe ice storm last night and must be closely watched for conditions, which would move Ringwood up on my list.

Where would you be planning on parking for Ringwood on Sunday? Any interest in hiking to the top of Bald Mountain (Bergen County High Point) ? May be able to bushwhack East from North Cape or take what appears to be pipelines on google maps.

Where would you be planning on parking for Ringwood on Sunday? Any interest in hiking to the top of Bald Mountain (Bergen County High Point) ? But right now I am leaning more to other locations.

I was going to go in on the left side, past the mill and continue all the way down the road to the last parking before it dead ends, there pick up the red trail cross over Sloatsburg road, do a little hiking and seeding there and then possibly look for Shepard Lake caches and out. Park opens at 8, I was going to time my arrival for that , do an hour and fifteen out, make my turn and come on home.

I used to have a cache at the top of Bald Mtn. I have no interest in going there. BTW, no need to bushwhack over, most of the route is atv or old two track. There is no view and no attraction there. You have to get up and get down in a hurry, cause when that bad boy microwave tower starts humming, you get feeling all warm and funny inside. :) Best maps are from Rod Johnson Cartography---Mapmaker.net

That is best approached from Ramapo Reservation or from Hillburn Reservoir--now that is was one ominously scary trip back in the day. Need parts for just about any 30 year old car--they're up there.

Where would you be planning on parking for Ringwood on Sunday? Any interest in hiking to the top of Bald Mountain (Bergen County High Point) ? But right now I am leaning more to other locations.

I was going to go in on the left side, past the mill and continue all the way down the road to the last parking before it dead ends, there pick up the red trail cross over Sloatsburg road, do a little hiking and seeding there and then possibly look for Shepard Lake caches and out. Park opens at 8, I was going to time my arrival for that , do an hour and fifteen out, make my turn and come on home.

I used to have a cache at the top of Bald Mtn. I have no interest in going there. BTW, no need to bushwhack over, most of the route is atv or old two track. There is no view and no attraction there. You have to get up and get down in a hurry, cause when that bad boy microwave tower starts humming, you get feeling all warm and funny inside. :) Best maps are from Rod Johnson Cartography---Mapmaker.net

That is best approached from Ramapo Reservation or from Hillburn Reservoir--now that is was one ominously scary trip back in the day. Need parts for just about any 30 year old car--they're up there.

Yeah, definitely a lot of "interesting" things up near Bald Mountain... we already did most the caches up there but just have not had the chance to bag the peak there.

Do you have coordinates for where you would be parking for your Ringwood approach via the Red Trail? Sounds like I may be able to get there early and then meet up ThirstyMick elsewhere in the part when she wakes up and gets there.

sorry John, I can not go today.

Thanks though

Figure around 8 AM, at the gate for Ringwood Manor, not the Shepard Lake section, the Mill pond section and from there we can go up to Sterling, unless you want to do my new 5 cache series, I would be glad to walk along with you as you do the necessary. MY phone 973--****--cell coverage spotty.

Edited by Packanack

Looks like we closed the book on Sunrise Stepoff for 2008. We had a very fine year, we did a lot of hiking, a CITO on High Mountain--something that we can all be proud of , we kayaked , we did a bike ride in the specatacular Minnewaska SP, something I will always remember and hope to be able to do again. We hope to kick off 2009 and keep up the tradition. Richard and I had a great time in Sterling Forest this AM and recommend it to all. We also found out that they allow Geocaching by permit and Mountain Biking of all things. Which leaves me red faced as I kvetched long and loud about the lack of Mtn Biking. To all the folks who came along, and to all of those who have wanted to come along, I hope you will subscribe to this thread and make it a point to join us in 2009. But most of all for 2009 BE WELL

ff9cca94-79d9-46d5-9b85-4356467f6af4.jpg

b87c999b-40ca-4c4a-9777-8c865d02397f.jpg

b732d442-068a-487a-ac28-7ee8d165bbb1.jpg

52938706-03f6-417e-8bcd-088b0ed250cd.jpg

67109acc-ee7f-4009-9eab-216693fb69d8.jpg

Edited by Packanack

Sunrise hike - New Years Day starting at 9:00 Ringwood Manor at the posted parking cords N 41° 08.477 W 074° 14.972

The goal would be to get the five new Packanack hides

Five Words – Beginning (GC1JXM5)

Five Words – Happiness (GC1JXMM)

Five Words – Regrets (GC1JXNG)

Five Words – Empathy (GC1JXNX)

Five Words – Gratitude (GC1JXPA)

Other caches nearby to complete your day

Predicted weather as of today:

Thursday, Jan 1

High: 34 °F RealFeel®: 24 °F

Breezy in the morning; otherwise, plenty of sunshine, but cold

Sunrise hike - New Years Day starting at 9:00 Ringwood Manor at the posted parking cords N 41° 08.477 W 074° 14.972

Thursday, Jan 1

DUE TO THE INCLEMENT WEATHER THIS HIKE IS BEING RESCHEDULED FOR

SUN JAN 4 ------- 8:30AM AT THE POSTED CORDS

SEE EVERYONE THEN - HAPPY NEW YEAR

Thursday, Jan 1

DUE TO THE INCLEMENT WEATHER THIS HIKE IS BEING RESCHEDULED FOR