Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

Somebody bring some extra caffinated Red Bull for Mike

Hmmm Hawthorne Bagels, should be interesting. :D

I am repacking the Hawthorne Bagles for this weekends event ad they are ALL still in the freezer as none of you guys at them at the CITO! Be Warned!!!!!!!!!!1

You could use them bagels as little boat bumpers. Tie a string around each and hang them off the sides of the kayak. You know, to keep us from bumpin' into ya. ;)

I had sent a note over the

www.hackensackriverkeeper.org

inquiring about something entirely different, but got back a note telling those who would participate in the guided paddle to make sure they register. I think the same would apply to those needing watercraft on June 1.

inquiring about something entirely different, but got back a note telling those who would participate in the guided paddle to make sure they register. I think the same would apply to those needing watercraft on June 1.

Who else is going on the guided tour? I was hoping to paddle over and explore that cool turntable train tressle thing.

Who else is going on the guided tour? I was hoping to paddle over and explore that cool turntable train tressle thing.

I have a reservation for 4 so far.

I have a reservation for 4 so far.

the eco-guided tour looks interesting. I will look into the reservation for that. Looks like its just 10 bucks for those who have boats already. Does anybody know if there is a limit on the group size for this guided tour? I presume we are looking at the 10am tour right?

Sounds like fun...

Here are the reasons why this is a good place for a beginner:

1. There are no hills, it is very flat. :blink:

2. It is close by

3. There are always beginners there, last year I went and there were 30 beginners.

4. It is limited duration, only a couple of hours, so you can limit your time on the water.

5. The equipment is user friendly stable and not expensive to rent

6. There will be a load of people there to assist you and they would only be too happy to do so

7. You will be among friends.

8. The put in is a very nice boat launch type of situation.

9. There are facilities there.

10. You might just have a good time.

This is actually an ideal location to begin learning. And lastly, if you do not know by now, I do not do ordeals that would put anyone into discomfort or extremes. My motivation for my planned hikes and events is that everyone who comes comes away having had an enjoyable time. You will not be tested to the limits of physical endurance. I am too old for that sort of thing.

DiviDivi Question

Does anybody know if there is a limit on the group size for this guided tour? I presume we are looking at the 10am tour right? 10AM for the Tour.--Yes. You do not need to go on the tour, but it is suggested, that if you are going reservations are required.

For the tour it is 10AM, I believe the limit is 30, but check the web site --Tour Reservations (boat of no boat are required ) Check the links provided on the cache page. Pick up the phone and call them, make sure that the guided tour is what you are looking for, they said extended downriver--that means long. So call them and make sure before you go

For those not going on tour, the paddling map is provided as a link on the cache page. Being that this is low tide, it may be necessary to change the paddle to paddle up along the shore toward the rail road bridge. The Meadowlands can go to mud flats at low tide. Inches of water in some locations.

Any way you slice it, if you have not been here before it is different and binoculars are in order. I usually follow the paddle maps route as per the link. 2 miles and take a couple of hours, take pictures, scope with the binocs, meander through the reeds, get out up near the rail road /aqueduct.

Edited by Packanack

I am confused. Is the event the guided tour or is the event just "paddle where ever" or both?

Our "EVENT" is not their Event. Our event is showing up, what you do after that is up to you. Personally I have my own boat, and I am not going on their guided tour. But if you want to go on their guided tour you need to make reservations with them. If you want to just go and paddle with those of us who just go and paddle you are free to do that also. Personally, I do not require a guided tour, I have been here before, I am somewhat familiar with conditions and don't want to be tied into 5 hours of guided tour.

When in doubt : Ask --

Ok who is doing the guided tour and who is not? Just curious what people are thinking. The tour could be interesting, but seems that it may split our group up.

As of now I am planning on the tour. It is something I have always wanted to do and will be informative as well as an enjoyable paddle.

IS there anyone else that is new to paddling coming to this event, and will need to rent a craft?

Shimain has a legitimate concern as she seems to be the only one renting a boat. Last summer at a boat only event in Riverhead, NY they wouldn't rent her a boat being that she was the only one renting one. They have a similar rule on the page of the Hackensack Riverkeeper site that says,

KAYAK RATES (per day):

$25 per paddler (15 years and older) / no passengers

We have solo and tandem kayaks. NO solo paddling is permitted so if you want to paddle a solo kayak, bring a buddy for a second boat.

Can anyone familiar with the place, or who also might be renting a boat help allay that fear?

While I am not 100% certain, I think they mean they don't want anyone to be paddling off by themselves (they like the buddy system), so as long as buttaskotch is paddling with friends I think they will rent her a boat. A phone call to the office to be sure might be in order.

I am sooo confused

:rolleyes::wub:

confused about what? We will see ya all in the morning. Weather outlook looks good.

Don't forget sunscreen, hat, water, sandwich, snacks etc.

A=I told the guy I rented the canoes from I was going with him.

B= I told Packanack I was going with him.

C=A+B I told the three people I am bringing I am doing A and B above

but

But it looks like D= Lake Lady is doing C but Packanack is not doing C he is doing B which means B does not equal C and A and D are dissimilar in their juxapication where E means that Macatac will be doing B and Buttaskotch will be in a boat but maybe not and all I know is where to park the car and I will be there at 9:30 if I get off at the right exit which isn't in my GPS because the CDs(see above) in my care are really DVDs and they don't have the new exit. And all this confusion in my mind happened because I went to BC (British Columnia) and AB (Alberta) to geocache and didn;t read the forum for a month and now I don't know if I own enough life vests or not.

Looks to be a nice day though! I am bringing enough food for a five hour tour and if the guy renting me the boats gets me lost it will not be Packanacks fault.

Looks to be a nice day though! I am bringing enough food for a five hour tour

uh oh...remember the LAST time someone did that with a boat?

Do that make you the professor? & Packnack the Skipper DiviDivi the Howells? Buttaskotch MaryAnne or maybe Ginger?

too dadgum busy these days...can't remember the last one I found....maybe if SAG do a LITTLE strike....

M

Looks to be a nice day though! I am bringing enough food for a five hour tour

uh oh...remember the LAST time someone did that with a boat?

Do that make you the professor? & Packnack the Skipper DiviDivi the Howells? Buttaskotch MaryAnne or maybe Ginger?

too dadgum busy these days...can't remember the last one I found....maybe if SAG do a LITTLE strike....

M

I am bringing two professors!

I put up a couple of more photos on the Paddle Event and went to archive, enjoy your summer. :)

The Following sounds very interesting, and I know that some of our people are very much interested in the natural world.

Dear John ,

Citizen scientists needed for heron surveys!

The New Jersey Audubon Society (NJAS) is currently recruiting volunteers for waterbird surveys coordinated through its Citizen Science Program.

The study will run from mid-June until mid-October in the Hackensack Meadowlands, Raritan Bay, and surrounding wetlands. Citizen Science Associates will be required to visit their assigned sites to determine avian abundance and distribution. Volunteers will use standard count methodology, and record habitat and behavioral observations when possible. Depending on road conditions, some points may only be accessible on foot. Prior to the start of the field season (we're aiming for the weekend of 6/14-15), NJAS staff will provide training to volunteers in survey methodology and bird identification.

Volunteers are asked to commit to at least 10 surveys over the entire course of the study period (2 surveys per month). If this is not possible but you are still interested in participating, contact us with your availability and we'll do our best to work it out.

Additionally, if you cannot participate in this study but know of any particular sites in your area that you think should be included in this survey, please let us know.

If you are interested in participating in this survey or for more information on this project, contact Kate Ruskin, New Jersey Audubon Society, 11 Hardscrabble Road, Bernardsville, NJ 07924; Phone: (908) 766-5787 ext. 20 ; Fax: (908) 766-7775, E-mail: kate.ruskin@njaudubon.org.

The NJAS Citizen Science is a collaborative effort of NJAS, the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife's Endangered and Nongame Species Program (ENSP) Data collected will further our knowledge of bird distribution and abundance in New Jersey.

Edited by Packanack

M

I always thought I was Mary Anne!

Now I know!

See y'all at the Jamboree!

Although I had sworn off Sunrise Stepoffs , I am strangely drawn back into the idea of perhaps just one more. Anyone have any interest in perhaps a bicycle type Sunrise Stepoff, perhaps in someplace like NY West Side Bike Way, or perhaps Wallkill Valley Rail Trail or Paulinskill Rail Trail.

In early May a couple of us went on a group ride and had a good time. If you don't believe me and I don't know why you would, you can ask Ramapo.

I don't know why this occurred to me now, but it might be something worth thinking about for July sometime.

I took the link out cause some might find it objectionable, but as an aside, my daughter is doing a course in Madrid for a few weeks, hmmmmmm

Edited by Packanack

The North and South County Trailways are great rides. They are paved paths for foot and bike traffic along the old Putnam railbed. The North County Trailway runs about 22 miles from Baldwin Place NY to Eastview NY and the South County Trailway is about 9.5 miles from Eastview to Yonkers. They are pretty flat with very gradual inclines. They can also be combined for a longer ride.

We did the PVRT about 3 weeks ago. That's a decent trail too very fine gravel most of the way - single track at times. That trail you would need hybrid or mountain tires and it gets very rutted from horses - also a lot of horse poop and kind of smelly. :o

I would definitely be game for any of these or even the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway Bike Path. We did this a few weeks ago too However, if you do this one, be prepared for alot of traffic on bikes, roller blades, and foot. It is soooo crowded.

Edited by DammitNanet

I would definitely be game for any of these or even the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway Bike Path. We did this a few weeks ago too However, if you do this one, be prepared for alot of traffic on bikes, roller blades, and foot. It is soooo crowded.

That is actually a gorgeous ride, but not recommended for any large group as there is as much traffic on this path as there is on city streets!

Those wacky Europeans!

Packanack is quite correct, we had a great time in early May riding through the five boroughs. An official

Sunrise ride is a fine idea. All three suggested rides are quite appealing.

Although I had sworn off Sunrise Stepoffs , I am strangely drawn back into the idea of perhaps just one more. Anyone have any interest in perhaps a bicycle type Sunrise Stepoff, perhaps in someplace like NY West Side Bike Way, or perhaps Wallkill Valley Rail Trail or Paulinskill Rail Trail.

In early May a couple of us went on a group ride and had a good time. If you don't believe me and I don't know why you would, you can ask Ramapo.

I don't know why this occurred to me now, but it might be something worth thinking about for July sometime.

http://www.greendaily.com/photos/naked-bik...-madrid/851935/

Although I had sworn off Sunrise Stepoffs , I am strangely drawn back into the idea of perhaps just one more

Why? (Let me clarify . . . .)

Although I had sworn off Sunrise Stepoffs

WHY?!?!

I was thinking of putting together a bike ride at Stewart State Forest. This place is filled with history, old roads and foundations, some single tracks, ponds, and a cache here and there. Time, however, is part of the issue.

WHY?!?!

Because after 30 years of getting up at 5:30AM, I slept in till 7 one morning and realized I never wanted to get up at 5:30 AM again. :D Actually I did something that was age inappropirate, which never dawned on me at the time and did not evidence itself until weeks later. That whole thing about "act your age" never meant anything to me before.

So now I must be very careful and selective about what I do to keep from further problem, for about 4 months. :o

You young folk probably don't know this but muscles can be stronger than tendons and fraying tendons actually hurt.

But in the interim I am contemplating the consumate and ultimate series of Suburban Annoyance caches. It will be good. Scheduled for releas around July 4th, up to about 12 placements in series. You must find #1 to find the rest.

So by all means set up the Stewart, cause it looks like we will do a Central Park Ride Tour and Cache when the weather cools or a West Side Bikeway Cache and Ride.

http://alloverthemap.bicycling.com/2008/05...12-_-blog-_-gps

Edited by Packanack

July 20, 2008 A Sunday, Bike Ride down the West Side Bikeway in New York City. We have some stated interest. This is a flat, smooth, enjoyable, ride. Please advise your interest here, and we will see about making an event. There are some caches present. But the primary focus will be to drink coffee and eat bagels and pastries along the way. Will plan on getting underway a little later than our usual time.

July 20, 2008 A Sunday, Bike Ride down the West Side Bikeway in New York City. We have some stated interest. This is a flat, smooth, enjoyable, ride. Please advise your interest here, and we will see about making an event. There are some caches present. But the primary focus will be to drink coffee and eat bagels and pastries along the way. Will plan on getting underway a little later than our usual time.

The date is good, but what time were you thinking with "a little later than our usual time"? ;)

I am thinking like maybe 9 AM start, but I want to pre-ride the route to properly guage times, I was also thinking of possible rolling starts for different groupings, like maybe 8 AM for some, who may want to ride longer distance , and maybe for NYC and Long Island folk they could start in Manhattan and meet us at Chelsea Piers for coffee. At a specific time and place like maybe meet at 10:30AM for coffee and and ride in or out. Still in the rumination stage. If weather is good on this Sunday and I am not tired and it is not too hot I was going to pre ride. Maybe have it free form with a time for meeting up, like maybe ride before or after meet up--Like call it an event to meet at point X and ride in or out from there. I eschew regimentation--such is the life of a child of the 60's

Edited by Packanack

meet us at Chelsea Piers for coffee.

Ruthy's?

after all the time I spend there during the week, I should go BACK on the weekends?

I always wanted to hide a cache outside the stages...call it ''Dun-dun"

interested, but have to see how the schedule go...

M

Nobody mentioned bagels :D

I am going to try and do the pre ride on Sunday Morning, I have one person who went out and bought a bicycle on the strength of a promised event. If I don't deliver, he expects me to pay for it. But I think the way it will work is that , your ride in and out will be largely your own business, as people will want different approaches, but the meet up place will be Point X for coffee and for continuation or termination for some.

I assume, Pack, that you will be providing coords of Point X, as well as starting and stopping points (both ends, maybe?) for those of us quite ignorant of any area outside of our own?

Depending on dates, this looks like something that I may be able to attend.

The date is jULY 20TH SO we do not step on Team Rampart Lion hike the following weekend. Yes, there is a hike the following week being planned brian b and folks from that vicinity would come down the Palisades Interstate and Park in Ft. Lee , we will cross the bridge and pick up the path on the other side and ride down.

Later arrivals perhaps would take the Port Imperial Ferry across and pick up the path immediately on the other side coming out of the terminal.

Staten Island Ferry puts people at the path in Battery Park

Brooklyn and Long Islanders would park somewhere, but they could come over the Brooklyn Bridge and pick up the path near the South Street Seaport Museum.

I should have specifics on Sunday.

Nobody mentioned bagels :D

I am going to try and do the pre ride on Sunday Morning, I have one person who went out and bought a bicycle on the strength of a promised event. If I don't deliver, he expects me to pay for it. But I think the way it will work is that , your ride in and out will be largely your own business, as people will want different approaches, but the meet up place will be Point X for coffee and for continuation or termination for some.

I still have the bagels from February that none of y'all ate.

They are as hard as hokey pucks now....

Nobody mentioned bagels :ph34r:

I still have the bagels from February that none of y'all ate.

They are as hard as hokey pucks now....

Its quite alright but I think I'll grab a fresh bagel along the way.

I went out early this morning to pre ride a proposed "Event Bike Ride", and although this is one great, classic type of ride, that was very enjoyable for me, I will not be making it into an "Event" for 7/20/08. I will need to rethink routing. It is strange how you forget certain little elements after a time, that might make things unsuitable for othersbb97a480-673c-46ef-a07c-16410cf5d2e8.jpg