Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

Pete and I are going to host a sunrise hike on March 22nd:

Look for a future posting on Sunrise Stepoff: Schunnemunk and Megaliths

Let me know if there are objections other than that it is too difficult.

At the moment I have not been able to negoiate and event cache with this. Anybody know of a Diner in the area we could have the breakfast event?

Houston, we have a go! We are live please see link

Megaliths Picnic

Cool! I hope to make this. I've never been to a 4 star terrain event <_<

Pete and I are going to host a sunrise hike on March 22nd:

Look for a future posting on Sunrise Stepoff: Schunnemunk and Megaliths

Let me know if there are objections other than that it is too difficult.

At the moment I have not been able to negoiate and event cache with this. Anybody know of a Diner in the area we could have the breakfast event?

Houston, we have a go! We are live please see link

Megaliths Picnic

Cool! I hope to make this. I've never been to a 4 star terrain event ;)

I was hoping to go. <_<

Edited by macatac1961

Sunrise stepoff of another variety. This is last call on this one. But last year I rode in the 5 Borough Bike Tour of NY , it was fun. This year I have a little group riding. If anyone else is interested, registration should be done now. I am going to try and see if there are any caches along the route. It is May 4, a Sunday and will involve getting up early-thus the Sunrise connection.. Let me know if you would like to join us.

Sunrise stepoff of another variety. This is last call on this one. But last year I rode in the 5 Borough Bike Tour of NY , it was fun. This year I have a little group riding. If anyone else is interested, registration should be done now. I am going to try and see if there are any caches along the route. It is May 4, a Sunday and will involve getting up early-thus the Sunrise connection.. Let me know if you would like to join us.

I only have a mountain bike---will that work?

Cool - I'm doing the tour too with a bunch of friends. Will look for you John - I'm sure you won't be hard to find in a pack of 30,000!--Especially with my wearing hot chartreuse spandex bike shorts. :)

Ok, I will send you the coords on where to meet us at the start. Because after that we will be going so fast you won't see us again :D:D:D Have you done it before ? I rode myself last year it was quite the treat.

Weathernowcast, I would not like to ride a mtn bike that far, but I have an extra bike that you might want to try, I will get it out , pump up the tires clean it up and see how it fits, I have a couple of others but one is a large frame road bike, with drop bars, I was thinking of riding that one, but I need to acclimate to it better.

Daylight savings time this Sunday, so it will be time to saddle up and get riding again, in ernest.

Edited by Packanack

Hike This Sunday! Ok I attended the last Sunrise Stepoff hike so I feel compelled to post this here. May not qualify for an official Sunrise Hike but here goes...

Some have suggested here that my Pinwheel Vista cache hike would be good training for Weathernowcasts event hike on 3/22 called "Megaliths Picnic". ;)

We have decided to go ahead and do this training hike to get a feel for some climbing this Sunday 3/9/08. We will hike up to Pinwheel Vista and beyond grabbing caches along the way then ending South on Breakneck Rd in Vernon.

Possible cache finds:

1. GCHZJP Pinwheel Vista by Team Divi Divi

2. GCVQ32 Livingston Ponds Part 2 by BigK5

3. GCX0BE Livingston Ponds Part 1 by BigK5

4. GCVW48 Memories of the Silver Screen by "Oscar & The Academy" (Owner: klizich)

5. GCZ2P4 Stairway to Heaven by Team Perrito Blanco

6. GC12BGF Does Bamboo Grow In A Crevice? by Team Dinky Dau (Owner: klizich

7. GC125NJ Doc Livingston Don't Make House Calls! by klizich

8. GCMDH4 "Dr. Livingston I Presume" by klizich

9. GCY8K2 Find Brian Snat's Ammo Can #9 by Geo Painter

10. GCYGTN Two Pancakes and a ‘Bird’ by klizich

11. GC12B1V A Double-Y Knot by The X-Y Axis Powers (Owner: klizich

12. GCQP8K Vernon Hide Away by Geo Painter

13. GCQP7X Pond Hollow Stage I by Geo Painter

Meeting time is 8:15 AM, Hike Start 8:30 AM At the Appalachian Trail Parking Lot on RT 94 at the following Cords N 41 13.168 W074 27.318 Keep in Mind the time change occurs this Sunday "Spring Ahead" Push your clocks ahead one hour to be on time for the hike!

Read and prepare for "GCVW48 Memories of the Silver Screen" in advance.

Suspension1 will not be done because of the need for ropes and equip.

Let me know if interested. :) We will work out the logistics of a quick car shuttle.

Hike This Sunday! Ok I attended the last Sunrise Stepoff hike so I feel compelled to post this here. May not qualify for an official Sunrise Hike but here goes...

Some have suggested here that my Pinwheel Vista cache hike would be good training for Weathernowcasts event hike on 3/22 called "Megaliths Picnic". :rolleyes:

We have decided to go ahead and do this training hike to get a feel for some climbing this Sunday 3/9/08. We will hike up to Pinwheel Vista and beyond grabbing caches along the way then ending South on Breakneck Rd in Vernon.

Possible cache finds:

4. GCVW48 Memories of the Silver Screen by "Oscar & The Academy" (Owner: klizich)

Meeting time is 8:15 AM, Hike Start 8:30 AM At the Appalachian Trail Parking Lot on RT 94 at the following Cords N 41 13.168 W074 27.318 Keep in Mind the time change occurs this Sunday "Spring Ahead" Push your clocks ahead one hour to be on time for the hike!

Let me know if interested. <_< We will work out the logistics of a quick car shuttle.

I may be able to make it.

Some have suggested here that my Pinwheel Vista cache hike would be good training for Weathernowcasts event hike on 3/22 called "Megaliths Picnic". <_<

Possible cache finds:

Let me know if interested. :( We will work out the logistics of a quick car shuttle.

I will be there.

Will quit drinking earlier Saturday nite! :rolleyes:

I only have a mountain bike---will that work?

Yes, many who do the tour use mountain bikes. I've done it several times with a hybrid. It's a long (about 40 miles) but easy ride, all paved streets, no traffic (other than other bicycles), and the only tough elevation changes is up and over bridges (the climb up an over the Varanzzano Narrows at the end is a lot longer and steeper than you would think).

Problem with mixing this and caching is that so many people are doing this, I've found that if you arrive late, or go slow, you get caught up in the pack, and the ride is very slow going. Arriving earlier (6 to 630am) and starting towards the front, and keeping a decent pace (and skipping some of the rest stops) makes a much more enjoyable ride.

That said, there is quite a handful of caches that are directly on the route, so I may try and grab one or two on the day, but my focus is going to be on the ride itself.

So I'm just wondering, for the Megaliths event...are there any plans to shuttle cars to cover more ground or are folks planning to hike in and then out the same way? The last time I hiked there we took the Long Path and went to High Knob, which had some nice view, then up to the Megaliths. So we could leave some cars down at the long path parking and some at the start of the clover or jessup trail.

I'm going to try to make this so I was just curious what the intent was. Or is it just a free for all - get yourself to the picnic coordinates? :laughing:

Actually, if you went back in time when Brian first started talking , he and Pete mentioned a possible shuttle, but being that the event is a picnic on top, how you get there is like really your own thing. The bigger problem is the proximity to Easter. We could find a spot for you in my group. Right front is not taken. :laughing:

227216.JPG

Edited by Packanack

So I'm just wondering, for the Megaliths event...are there any plans to shuttle cars to cover more ground or are folks planning to hike in and then out the same way? The last time I hiked there we took the Long Path and went to High Knob, which had some nice view, then up to the Megaliths. So we could leave some cars down at the long path parking and some at the start of the clover or jessup trail.

I'm going to try to make this so I was just curious what the intent was. Or is it just a free for all - get yourself to the picnic coordinates? :anitongue:

Yes, I am contacting people who want to carry the picnic basket up to the event cache. I plan on doing a through hike from the northern parking down to the long path near the quaker house. Please note that the picnic is not associated with the hike because event caches can not be associated with a hike. not the northern parking lot coordiantes are posted. more to follow

Phew! It's going to be a busy spring for North Jersey cachers. Just for convenience's sake, here's the event breakdown for the next few weekends:

Sat. 3/15 - Kiss Me I'm Irish (Randolph, NJ)

Sun. 3/22 - 1664 Vernal Equinox Picnic (Schunnemunk Mtn., Blooming Grove, NY)

Sat. 4/5 - NNJC Spring Picnic (Watchung Res., Mountainside, NJ)

I'd been talking about a caching road trip to Centralia, PA last week and it looks like the weekend of 3/29-3/30 would be a good opening. Anyone prefer one day over the other?

Weathercastnow and buttaskotch -- this is what you missed by sleeping in this morning!!!

c9998529-5061-4f88-8449-17255b8a76c5.jpg

The 8.5 mile hike that netted 14 caches!!!

b783c463-2ce8-498b-9322-58d8d8da6cb2.jpg

The elevational gain for the walk.

Sean and Sue (Team Divi Divi) and I met at the Route 94 parking and made a thru-hike to the other end. It was a great morning, great hike, great caches. They even hid Packanak's cache that they won at the last event.

Here was the view from Pinwheel Vista Sunday. Some flooding from the heavy Saturday rains is evident.

Was a great hike with a chilly start as Team Divi Divi & Brian b zigzagged over 8 miles accross Wawayanda Mountain hitting every cache along the way! :laughing:

6d8eb2eb-dcae-4919-95ee-51b0dbecc28b.jpg

Sorry I missed it. I just got out of bed now. I would have left 4 quarts of phlegm and a lung on the hill if I had joined you. Glad you had fun!

The Megaliths Picnic is on to celebrate Spring on top of a mountain with Megaliths larger than STONEHEDGE!

Join us for a SUNRISE STEPOFF before the picnic. I have posted parking coordinates on the Picnic page. If you want to be involved in a shuttle please e-mail me. The Sunrise Steupoff will head north to south with the picnic as the event in the middle. The sunrise stepoff is an optional event not directly associated with the picnic.

Northern Parking N 41° 24.462 W 074° 04.903 (8AM departure)

Southern Parking N 41° 21.654 W 074° 06.461 (7:30AM car drop off and shuttle to northern parking before step off)

The goal is to go from the Northern Parking to the picnic to the southern parking and then shuttle people back up to the northern parking after the picnic.

all of this is optional and not associated with the picnic it is a separate activity that you are welcome to join as part of a sunrise step off

Edited by weathernowcast

Sorry I missed it. I just got out of bed now. I would have left 4 quarts of phlegm and a lung on the hill if I had joined you. Glad you had fun!

I nearly spit up my coffee when I read that, too funny!!! :D:laughing::P

I have been traveling a lot the last 3 weeks; put about 2000 miles on my car and flew a couple of hundred more, exhaustion set in over the weekend. I wish I could have been there, but knew that if I did it could have done me more harm than good. I am psyched about 3/22- and now a good hike on 4/5-thanks Mountain Racer!

We are going to have to find a nice one on LI. The Greenbelt from Massapequa to the North shore would be cool or, Muttontown Preserve on the North Shore.

These 2 are not too far out on the island, in Nassau County-I have walked both but never fully. Any interest out there?

The Megaliths Picnic is on to celebrate Spring on top of a mountain with Megaliths larger than STONEHEDGE!

Join us for a SUNRISE STEPOFF before the picnic. I have posted parking coordinates on the Picnic page. If you want to be involved in a shuttle please e-mail me. The Sunrise Steupoff will head north to south with the picnic as the event in the middle. The sunrise stepoff is an optional event not directly associated with the picnic.

Northern Parking N 41° 24.462 W 074° 04.903 (8AM departure)

Southern Parking N 41° 21.654 W 074° 06.461 (7:30AM car drop off and shuttle to northern parking before step off)

The goal is to go from the Northern Parking to the picnic to the southern parking and then shuttle people back up to the northern parking after the picnic.

all of this is optional and not associated with the picnic it is a separate activity that you are welcome to join as part of a sunrise step off

Keep me posted, am up for it, definitely will need to coordinate car shuttles.

Where are the event details posted? I am interested in doing the Megaliths, but am unsure when it is.

Is there an event page somewhere for the Northeast events?

Paul

The event page was in an earlier post in this thread. It can be found here

Brian,

Thanks!

Hope you could come too,

Brian

How far is the walk to the Megaliths? I'm still in my hard plastic walking boot, so a short hike isn't out of the question.

How far is the walk to the Megaliths? I'm still in my hard plastic walking boot, so a short hike isn't out of the question.

Well, since the event is NOT at the Megaliths, but the Megaliths is something that if you attend the event you MUST see, then the answer can be found here.

If my recollection serves me correctly, the round trip hike was just about 6 ~ 6.5 miles. The first mile is relatively flat. The next two are straight uphill. The last quarter is flat. When I say uphill, I mean a good uphill climb.

Once again, the event is not at the Megaliths, but close by.

How many people have actually attended a 4-star terrain event?!?

:rolleyes:-->

QUOTE(brian b @ Mar 12 2008, 04:35 PM) 3365752[/snapback]

Well, since the event is NOT at the Megaliths, but the Megaliths is something that if you attend the event you MUST see, then the answer can be found here.

If my recollection serves me correctly, the round trip hike was just about 6 ~ 6.5 miles. The first mile is relatively flat. The next two are straight uphill. The last quarter is flat. When I say uphill, I mean a good uphill climb.

Once again, the event is not at the Megaliths, but close by.

How many people have actually attended a 4-star terrain event?!?

2 more caches placed just south of the picnic spot!!!

Pudding Stone by WaylessWood

Schunemunk Scamper by Wayless Wood

I'm just doing some research of the area. Has anyone been to the Moodna Viaduct? This appears to be only about 1.5 miles from the northern parking lot. It must be quite a site - especially when you catch it with a train going over it.

Paul

It is a must visit! Largest railroad bridge east of the Mississippi and it is high!

There is a geocache in a guardrail to the east of the bridge (Orrs Mills Road and Jackson Avenue) which is the best photo spot especially in the PM. Currently, the viaduct carries Metro-North's Port Jervis commuter line and Norfolk Southern freight trains. The Metro North Salisbury Mills-Cornwall station is just up the line from the viaduct.

Recently the Moodna Viaduct appeared as a prominent feature on location in the film Michael Clayton.

800px-Moodna_Viaduct.jpg

I'm just doing some research of the area. Has anyone been to the Moodna Viaduct? This appears to be only about 1.5 miles from the northern parking lot. It must be quite a site - especially when you catch it with a train going over it.

Paul

It is a must visit! Largest railroad bridge east of the Mississippi and it is high!

There is a geocache in a guardrail to the east of the bridge (Orrs Mills Road and Jackson Avenue) which is the best photo spot especially in the PM. Currently, the viaduct carries Metro-North's Port Jervis commuter line and Norfolk Southern freight trains. The Metro North Salisbury Mills-Cornwall station is just up the line from the viaduct.

Recently the Moodna Viaduct appeared as a prominent feature on location in the film Michael Clayton.

800px-Moodna_Viaduct.jpg

That reminds me of Kinzua Viaduct out in Allegheny National Forest. Unfortunately, a large portion of it collapsed during a tornado 5 years ago ;)

Guard Rail Series 3: A View of Schunemenuk (and of the viaduct). Super Easy.

hey kids-

well, the strike is DEFINITELY over...not gonna see the house in daylight for awhile...

was hoping to eek out one more with you on Saturday, but I just got my Friday call time...11am....which ain't too bad, untill you add 12+ hours or so to it...which makes my chances of getting up at oh-dark-thirty to climb mountains about nil...

have fun & take lots of pictures!

M

Just an update.

the sunrise pre-event hike is on to the megaliths picnic tomorrow morning.

Park at the southern coordiantes at 7:30 to get a lift to the northern trailhead. If you can not make it to the southern coordinates by 7:30 go and park at the northern parking.

Be well. e-mail me for cell phone # of ?

That was a fantastic event. Very well thought out and executed. Brian, that was really, really cool!!!!! FYI, my legs aren't as bad as I thought it would be!

Some photos from the Sunrise stepoff hike to the Picnic at 1664 (Schunnemunk/Megaliths Picnic Event)

166455320087-39f5-406b-ae4d-a3f800b13d8b.jpg

a nice gentle slope to startb5af3ef2-2141-4786-b6ba-52b80bccfb64.jpg

Megalith countrye562b1a3-4144-4e8e-8419-a8b0c9fdc328.jpg

2dc1637a-aba1-4b11-8930-78a01abdba61.jpg

f0c9b2fa-ea6e-4069-be2c-4413108b9c8f.jpg

on the way down from picnic

85d57608-d25c-4ebe-81e5-4e7f9faf7784.jpg

trek

bdf20030-0bbb-4fde-8d0f-c69479989f15.jpg

Edited by weathernowcast

Great meeting everyone yesterday. Click here to view some of the I have posted some of the pictures on my Picasa site.

Follow the instructions below if you are new to Picasa.

See you all along the trail somewhere. Let me know if you need the high resolution original file.

Paul

--

Picasa Viewing:

• Click ‘Slide Show’. Each picture is displayed for 4 seconds.

You can speed up or slow down by clicking on the ‘+’ and ‘-‘ buttons, or you can pause, go back or forward and push the play button when you want to return to the slide show. Click the ‘X’ to end the slide show.

• Click on any thumbnail to view it. You can change the size of the thumbnails if they are unclear by clicking the ‘Size’ icon in the upper right.

Use the back and forward arrows at the top of the image to go to the next or previous image. You can also click the magnifying glass icon at the top right of the image to enlarge it, and use the mouse to click and drag your way around the image.

Send me any captions you want updated, or let me know if there are any pictures you would prefer removed.

Prints can be ordered from this site, by clicking ‘order prints’ on the right. You may also download the album to your computer.

Paul

As you may have noticed from my Picasa site, I geotag all my pictures. Unfortunately I had the track log feature turned off until half way through the hike. Can someone email me their track file? My email is merkur at optimum dot net

Surfcaster kindly sent me his track file, but it had been saved. One quirk of Garmin units is that when track logs are saved, all the timestamp information is deleted. I need the raw file from the device in .gdb or .gpx format. Only that has the time tag information on it that my program can use to GeoTag the photos.

Thanks,

Paul

As you may have noticed from my Picasa site, I geotag all my pictures. Unfortunately I had the track log feature turned off until half way through the hike. Can someone email me their track file? My email is merkur at optimum dot net

Surfcaster kindly sent me his track file, but it had been saved. One quirk of Garmin units is that when track logs are saved, all the timestamp information is deleted. I need the raw file from the device in .gdb or .gpx format. Only that has the time tag information on it that my program can use to GeoTag the photos.

Thanks,

Paul

I emailed you the track file. Check the active logs for the time stamps. :blink: Nice job on your photos of the days adventure!

Edited by Team Divi Divi