Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

Actually, the CITO is the same time as this. I am betting the CITO is a NOGO due to SNOWO on Saturday, but what do I KNOWO ? Tough to pick up litter when it is under 6 inches of snow. Heck it is hard enough picking up an ammo can under 6 inches of snow.

alla that snow will be gone & it'll be inthe 40's on Sunday...rite?.....RITE?

(spent most of yesterday on a shoot in Pittsburgh where we had to stay outside all day....I think I can feel my toes now....intermittent flurries all day and they STILL had to blow some fake snow at about 10p...ahhh showbidnes! :rolleyes: )

M

QUOTE(Packanack @ Feb 20 2008, 03:55 PM)

Actually, the CITO is the same time as this. I am betting the CITO is a NOGO due to SNOWO on Saturday, but what do I KNOWO ? Tough to pick up litter when it is under 6 inches of snow. Heck it is hard enough picking up an ammo can under 6 inches of snow.

(spent most of yesterday on a shoot in Pittsburgh where we had to stay outside all day....I think I can feel my toes now....intermittent flurries all day and they STILL had to blow some fake snow at about 10p...ahhh showbidnes! )

I plan to hike . . . even in the snow. At least we'll be moving, and that should keep us warm.

Team Divi Divi is making plans for possibly heading over to the CITO after this. I would think that would be a fine idea . . . .

:lol:-->

QUOTE(brian b @ Feb 21 2008, 11:13 AM) 3331358[/snapback]
QUOTE(Packanack @ Feb 20 2008, 03:55 PM)

(spent most of yesterday on a shoot in Pittsburgh where we had to stay outside all day....I think I can feel my toes now....intermittent flurries all day and they STILL had to blow some fake snow at about 10p...ahhh showbidnes! )

I plan to hike . . . even in the snow. At least we'll be moving, and that should keep us warm.

Team Divi Divi is making plans for possibly heading over to the CITO after this. I would think that would be a fine idea . . . .

:lol: I have the flu, I pray I will be better by Sunday

Just so everyone on this thread knows - the CITO has been postponed due to the snow. I would love to join you guys tomorrow as the landscapes will be spectacular. Unfortunately, I was just diagnosed with a pinched nerve and slipped disc so the doc said hiking was off limits for at least another week.

I'll look forward to your pictures.

Keep us posted on if the CITO gets rescheduled, perhaps Mitch will give us some more notice and we can get more Geocachers to attend in warmer weather. :D

Sorry you can't join us this morning, take care of that back and feel better!

I'm smiling in that picture, trust me.

You may be smiling but the guys down at the convenience store aren't. :anibad:

We are taking suggestions/request for the Next Sunrise Group Event.

Citicar wants Sunrise Sunset, a hike into a West Facing Overlook, light dinner as the sunsets and then get out before it goes black.

I want a Kayak Event from Laurel Hill Park into the Meadowlands (they rent kayaks and canoes so lack of ownership is not an issue, also kid friendly ) for perhaps late May or June.

Ramapo mentioned change of venue to Palisades for some new adventure.

Weathernowcast wants a CITO--he is envvironmentally friendly.

Anyone else want to chime in ?

We are also looking for someone who wants the coveted Events Icon in their Hide Stats

Edited by Packanack
Citicar wants Sunrise Sunset, a hike into a West Facing Overlook, light dinner as the sunsets and then get out before it goes black.

You'd have to eat really fast :anibad:. Actually Osio rock might work for something like this. Westerly view and not a real long walk out.

That would be fun. The Giants Stairs loop is a good hike. Pretty rugged, but scenic. There are a few caches along the way.

I want a Kayak Event from Laurel Hill Park into the Meadowlands (they rent kayaks and canoes so lack of ownership is not an issue, also kid friendly ) for perhaps late May or June.

We are also looking for someone who wants the coveted Events Icon in their Hide Stats

may/june is a long way off...what about March? Marching in March?

I like the sunset idea...sounds cool....

I really wanna do Federal Hill, but methinks most here have done them, no?

M

M

I havent done Federal Hill, would love to to a Sunruse to Sunset but not in the snow, I am still hurting!!!

CITO is great! North palisades like the giant step would be awesome and Kayaking for the unintiated would be cool too!

So I am up for any new experience there is!

M

I would be interested in doing a Federal Hill hike. I still have to do the new caches that Weathernowcast put out.

You will LOVE the Megaliths. It is, indeed, a strenuous hike, but the views are the best in the area. I may even tromp up there with y'all.

Federal Hill ~ Haven't done it yet. . .

March 22nd is probably ok . . . but the wife has to give me permission first!

[edited: to represent that fact that I have NOT done Federal Hill yet]

Edited by brian b

where is that? got a cache I could center on?

M

Suggested Parking

N 41° 24.464 W 074° 04.903

The Mountain

300px-Schunemunk_Mountain_2.jpg

Suggested map:

94bc933f-976e-48cd-a5b7-7fb03ded88b5.jpg

WestHudsonCover.jpg

Public Transportation is available but not directly to the coordinates above. This is the train line that runs parallel to the mountain. You get a good hint at how high the mountain is by the viaduct height and length. This railroad bridge is the longest east of the Mississippi.

4433757.jpg

Edited by weathernowcast

Your maps are not correct here. You've shown the Shawangunks, when in actuallity, you want NYNJTC maps for West Hudson -- Schunemnunk/Black Rock/Storm King.

WestHudsonCover.jpg

And here is the link for The Megaliths.

The hike will allow one to grab My Favorite Hike, Take a Break, Gigantor, and The Megaliths (in that order).

This link might also be of help (I think I got the right one).

Edited by brian b

Schunemunk is great...I have been wanting to go back there, and I think there are a few new caches there that weren't there last time I visited. Of course that means getting up almost as early as for the Catskill hike :laughing::laughing:

I'm interested in Federal Hill as well. I was curious if there was a way to get from Brian's newest caches there off Union Ave to the iron door area of the hill (without cutting through the private property).

Edited by trowel32

:laughing: OK I am in!

When you guys say its a difficult hike how much worse that hiking 7 miles in the snow?

It's 3 or 4 times higher than we climbed last week. Hopefully snow won't be too much of an issue but you never know with March weather.

...the difference being that we only go up once as opposed to the up, down, up, down of last weeks hike.

Edited by macatac1961

If the hike includes the Megaliths, then you are looking at about 6 ~ 7 miles . . . uphill what will seem like both ways!

Starting Elevation is about 450 feet. The summit of Schunemunk (which we will be close to) is about 1660 feet.

Compared to the Ramapo Hike, the snow might equalize the distance, but nothing can account for the UPHILL . . . .

Great views, awsome hikes . . . . well worth it.

Based upon standard rating systems commonly employed, I came up with a D rating for the proposed hike.

Some might totally disagree with my assessment, but a D rating requires substantial physical capability. I looked at brian b's profile on his cache page, it showed overground of about 6.5 miles and elevation change of about 2400 feet. 1 point per mile and 1 point per 400 feet of change = 13 points, a D hike.

If you cramped after the Ramapo walk, you do not have the physical capability at this point in time and go into a conditioning situation. I did hear from some who said they cramped.

Do yourself a favor and go do Pinwheel Vista from Rt. 94 in Vernon this coming weekend. You will get the flavor of the climb, but without the overground distance.

Now for the cure for cramping, early in a conditioning situation it is not unusual to cramp after the effort. When I got into biking in the spring, cramps were a regular occurence until "muscle memory" is established, usually within the first two weeks of conditioning, but certainly within 30. Usually totally lost about 3 months of stopping a program.

To combat cramps, after the workout re hydrate with TONIC WATER , not cheap store brand, a name brand like Schweppes, Seagrams or Canada Dry--label must say contains quinnine. An alternative is to go to Walgreens or Harmons and look for Hylands Leg Cramps, a quinnine tablet that works great.

You will thank me later. ;):laughing:

Based upon standard rating systems commonly employed, I came up with a D rating for the proposed hike.

Some might totally disagree with my assessment, but a D rating requires substantial physical capability. I looked at brian b's profile on his cache page, it showed overground of about 6.5 miles and elevation change of about 2400 feet. 1 point per mile and 1 point per 400 feet of change = 13 points, a D hike.

If you cramped after the Ramapo walk, you do not have the physical capability at this point in time and go into a conditioning situation. I did hear from some who said they cramped.

Do yourself a favor and go do Pinwheel Vista from Rt. 94 in Vernon this coming weekend. You will get the flavor of the climb, but without the overground distance.

Now for the cure for cramping, early in a conditioning situation it is not unusual to cramp after the effort. When I got into biking in the spring, cramps were a regular occurence until "muscle memory" is established, usually within the first two weeks of conditioning, but certainly within 30. Usually totally lost about 3 months of stopping a program.

To combat cramps, after the workout re hydrate with TONIC WATER , not cheap store brand, a name brand like Schweppes, Seagrams or Canada Dry--label must say contains quinnine. An alternative is to go to Walgreens or Harmons and look for Hylands Leg Cramps, a quinnine tablet that works great.

You will thank me later. ;):laughing:

It helps if you chew the tablets. I have had instant relief from Hylands tablets when chewed.

Couple other notes:

1: Pete has recommended that we conduct this as a through hike so we will likely shuttle cars between the designated starting point and the "Quaker House" southeast of the megaliths. I support this recommendation. We can still backtrack if necessary in the field but a through hike would allow us to reach additional vistas and will actually reduce the descent be several hundred feet.

2: Regarding the hike. Please know that this is a serious hike. Also, just so you know. Unlike last week if we had a problem we would have little support in extracting people from the top portion of the mountain. A rescue was conducted on the mountain several years ago for a handful of elderly gentlemen who decided to bushwack near the top of the mountain and ended up in a landslide. There was no place for the helicopter to land and the trails did not allow for ATVs to provide a significant role in the rescue/recovery.

3. I agree with Packanack that hiking up Pinwheel Vista is a good idea in preperation for this event. It is a straight forward hike and you will get a bit of understanding of the elevation gain you will experience.

I bit of a slower pace and slightly later start time would be nice. It's a bit further travel time for Sue & I. Maybe start at 8am or later? Bringing a lunch for one of the view points may be good. May help to fulfill the social aspect of a group event too. The logistics of the shuttle will require some vehicle placement maneuvering.

If anyone wants to do a training climb of Pinwheel Vista this weekend I may want to go. (Sunday is better) Maybe up over the hill and grab some caches beyond and into Waywayanda park, this would stretch the distance after the climb. I was thinking about placing Packanack's Anniversary cache container up around there. :laughing:

I should be back on 2 legs by the 22nd, but being that I haven't hiked in nearly 3 months, I get winded walking up a flight of stairs. I start PT next week. Hopefully they'll work me out good and I'll be ready.

Snat alert!! Snat alert!! Be warned for those who like to ramble through the woods. If "the original" Brian comes along the pace will be about thrice as fast as the last hike. :laughing:;) but that allows for more beer at the top of the hill.

LOL

If anyone wants to do a training climb of Pinwheel Vista this weekend I may want to go. (Sunday is better) Maybe up over the hill and grab some caches beyond and into Waywanda park, this would stretch the distance after the climb. I was thinking about placing Packanack's Anniversary cache container up around there. :)

I am rethinking the Pinwheel Vista training hike for Sunday as there is still a fair amount of snow and ice on the ground. <_< The stair climb to Pinwheel will certainly be snow and ice covered and prove to be hazardous climbing. The weather forecast is now calling for 2-4" of snow fri night into sat. This climb may be better left till after some more of this snow melts. :)

An alternate hike may be an idea without the step climb. Perhaps other Waywanda State Park caches or another location? :P

This looks like a great hike. I've owned the maps for a long time but have never gotten up that way to hike. I think I'm ok for 3/22 even though my son will be in for a visit so it is possible that might complicate my availability.

I vote for an early start, the earlier the better (as painful as it may be). It is always best to have as much time as possible to deal with the usual "this is taking much longer than I thought it would" syndrome and other unforeseen situations.

Another good spot to warm-up for this hike is Windbeam Mt. GC4752 is your reward (among others). I have to get up to Pinwheel Vista still...it does look a bit more difficult than Windbeam.

I should be back on 2 legs by the 22nd, but being that I haven't hiked in nearly 3 months, I get winded walking up a flight of stairs. I start PT next week. Hopefully they'll work me out good and I'll be ready.

Snat alert!! Snat alert!! Be warned for those who like to ramble through the woods. If "the original" Brian comes along the pace will be about thrice as fast as the last hike. :)<_< but that allows for more beer at the top of the hill.

LOL

Not me. Even in top shape, I was always a slooow, but steady hiker.

I started PT this week so I might be hikeable by then too.

Maybe we can have a race of the gimps.

Edited by briansnat

Pete and I are going to host a sunrise hike on March 22nd:

Look for a future posting on Sunrise Stepoff: Schunnemunk and Megaliths

Let me know if there are objections other than that it is too difficult.

At the moment I have not been able to negoiate and event cache with this. Anybody know of a Diner in the area we could have the breakfast event?

At the moment I have not been able to negoiate and event cache with this. Anybody know of a Diner in the area we could have the breakfast event?

The two closet I can find are the Bright Star Diner in Central Valley and the Coach Diner in New Windsor.

Not to steal thunder from the Megaliths event, but I've been looking at one cache/place for a while as a potential destination -- Centralia, PA -- and was wondering what the local opinions might be. Supposedly it's quite a sight, and there are a bunch of caches on the way there and back to break up the drive.

well, that WOULD be a drive...not a whole lot of walking, but a bunch of driving & grabbing?

M

well, that WOULD be a drive...not a whole lot of walking, but a bunch of driving & grabbing?

M

Pretty much. I figured I'd pitch it to the crowd that'd be most likely to get up early on a weekend and take a field trip someplace interesting. We could do a bit of exploring once we got there. I notice you didn't reject it. :blink:

Pretty much. I figured I'd pitch it to the crowd that'd be most likely to get up early on a weekend and take a field trip someplace interesting. We could do a bit of exploring once we got there. I notice you didn't reject it. :blink:

ahhh, you are observant, grasshopper....

at first thought, I think, "why drive 3 hours to see a ghost town"....then realize that I just answered my own question....I love wandering around places like that...especially fter seeing pictures of the closed rte 61...it has that creepy/cool/boyarehumansdumb kinda thing about it....

M

Not to steal thunder from the Megaliths event, but I've been looking at one cache/place for a while as a potential destination -- Centralia, PA -- and was wondering what the local opinions might be. Supposedly it's quite a sight, and there are a bunch of caches on the way there and back to break up the drive.

We drove through Centralia, PA a few years ago, not knowing anything about it. Upon our return home, and doing some research, I came across a book about the area Unseen Danger, A Tragedy of People, Government, and the Centralia Mine Fire, by David DeKok, and did some reading. Very interesting. It's a place we've wanted to go back to, now that we know some of the history. :blink:

Just got back from a heck of a drive the past few days.

This weekend was out for hiking, however I would do either the Centralia or PinWheel Vista next weekend if any one wants to do it.

Thinking maybe we could carpool as I am coming in from NYC.

Would love to get some conditioning with the Pin Wheel Vista prior to the 3/22 hike.

I agree with Freelancr that stopping and smelling the roses is a great idea. For me the hike isn't a race, its seeing beauty I wouldn't see in Queens!

I am in for anything!

Awesome, so this just might happen. As for arranging the date, I'm going to be away the week of March 8th-14th, so my next available weekend day would be Sunday the 16th... unless after the Megaliths would be best. That's the nice thing about being unofficial, everything's very flexible.

Edited by MountainRacer

Excuse me, folks, for dropping in from the New England board (that often happens: I click Northeast instead of New England. :D ).... I have to say I'm VERY impressed with your major hike organization and image-posting skills. Whew! Packanack, next time you're up our way why don't you organize a sunrise step-off on Olde Cape Cod? I'm sure Koneko and even Blackstone Val and the other major cachers from off-Cape would rally for something like this! Of course, those two have probably done every cache in Eastern Mass.

M

You could always make it into a weekend event, camping at Hickory Run State Park (or at least a saturday/sunday one night overnight). Hickory Run is about 30-40 miles from Centralia and has tons of caches, including an earthcache in an immense boulder field: Hickory Run Boulder Field Earthcache. There is also a 25-mile rail trail there that runs along the Lehigh Gorge. You ride the 25 miles and then a bus takes you back to your car (or you could carpool). There are a couple of caches along or accessible from the rail-trail too. We went there and did the bike ride, intending to also go to Centralia, but it was a day trip, and we didn't have neary enough time. We planned to go back for an overnight trip so we could visit Centralia and Hickory Run.

Houston, we have a go! We are live please see link

Megaliths Picnic