Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

If you follow our path down from the Butler Reservoir, you will see that several of us/them had to find a more appropriate crossing. Two were on one side, four were on the other (wrong) side. Then the bushwack began until we found the Green Trail, the ruins, and hid the first of two of Packanack's caches.

B) SUNRISE HIKE: SPARTA MOUNTAIN :P

Time: SATURDAY JANUARY 12th (TWELTH)

Start: Depart parking lot between at 7:30 AM and 7:45 AM

Group Leader: weathernowcast

Parking at: Sparta Mountain WMA Parking

Coordinates: N 41° 03.817 W 074° 34.243

Activity: We will be hiking around the Edison Mines area of Sparta Mountain WMA where Caching Through The Snow IV took place. Plenty of sites for everyone to see and a few caches too. Come join us for the hike even if you have completed some of the caches.

NOTE This is a SATURDAY Hike! B):P

E-mail me and I will send you my cellphone number if you plan on attending

Here are just a couple of photos from our Sunday 1/6/08 hike at Apshawa . . . .

7d9e502e-fc45-4713-9d27-8fdf02f4304b.jpg

Here we have Straatmaker5 and brian b on one side, while Packanack claims that he is sure that there will be a crossing "just a little further down."

c6bf8d9f-0d79-45b5-97eb-5bf54179a562.jpg

This is when Straatmaker5 and I started building a bridge so that the other four might actually join us on the hike up to the Overlook.

33d2b4d6-ae6d-4162-a333-37f5acc704bb.jpg

Again, more of the stream crossing.

f35c58a3-4383-4914-8afb-6cac67b2edc1.jpg

This is just below Butler Reservoir, amongst all the old tanks. This crossing wasn't nearly as sticky as the first, but with practice come perfection.

251e71a5-8ce0-429d-8745-3b85bb978850.jpg

And this you've already seen; the morning walk. If you notice, we followed the stream a considerable way looking for a better stream crossing. Then we bushwacked/followed ATV trails until we could locate the Green trail (placed a cache) and upwards to Overlook cache.

This was a fine morning. We started off with 12, ended up with 6.

ok, now I feel like an idiot, but is there a way to add imagery to a forum post while simply adding a reply? all I see is a clickable "insert image" which asks for a URL for my image, which, don't exist cuz I haven't put them anywhere...

what am I missing here? I don't see an 'attach file' link anywhere

and to keep this ON topic...I have more pictures from Sunday that I'd like to share...

Mike

nevermind...I gotta set up hosting somewhere....or just re-size all the pics & dump them on my site....

Edited by frelancr

BUMP!!

SUNRISE HIKE: SPARTA MOUNTAIN

Activity: We will be hiking around the Edison Mines area of Sparta Mountain WMA where Caching Through The Snow IV took place. Plenty of sites for everyone to see and a few caches too. Come join us for the hike even if you have completed some of the caches.

NOTE This is a SATURDAY Hike!

BUMP!!

I had such a great time last week, I wanna give it another go this time too...

BUMP!!

HEY, you're not Packanack!

BUMP!!

HEY, you're not Packanack!

No.. I'm not Packanack but I do play one on TV and did receive permission from Packanack to conduct the hike and post it here.

He is much better looking than Packanack.

Like he really needs my permission. I love the idea of regular group hikes being put out there. I hope to see some pictures. The got to go hiking and all I get to do is to load the car with you can't believe how much stuff and drive it and child back to college and hope we beat the snow. What parents don't do for their children. :P

Another great sunrise stepoff hike...thanks guys!

we did, in this order...

Ed's Old Man

Hardbargen

Edison's Sporadic Erratic

Hibernate

Pog Bog

Edison's Grand View

Quartz Knoll

Evil Little Man

Tom E's Fingertip Cliff Climber

Red Tape

Boulder Bowling

Bandit's Hideout

It's Where?

Victor Mine

Needful Things VII

Edison's Dark Rock

Edison's Mines

then we continued a bit & did

Entrance to Cacheland

Ryker Lake Bridge

Passing Stones

Ryker Deja View

& Ryker Stone Room

22 sites & only 2 DNFs!

I promise to post pix this time...

M

Edited by frelancr

Thank you Packanack Weathernowcast for another great Sunrise hike today. I got to meet some more geocachers and I got to find some really neat caches with a great group! It was a lot of fun and "Edisons Dark Rock Cache" was the best. :D

4 miners at Dark Rock (L to R frelancr, ridgerunnerjoe, citicar, ramapo)

559c91e4-77ec-4e51-9c4b-d6b1bd617c70.jpg

Edited by weathernowcast

continued...

Ramapo gets up the hill the firstest...

9ae129f8-4ef1-4932-a823-474a0e4e15a7.jpg

Needful things

40669a72-14f4-4fd4-93b9-82a287ce36de.jpg

And WAY up there on must-do caches

8c68ba67-bc26-49eb-b01b-17aa1b41a306.jpg

f62fea87-a0c2-471b-a2ed-38a12ded6d21.jpg

df7fd0c3-e77e-43f9-ab26-d8b0940fcd11.jpg

Me & Tom...

b2797639-4c11-410b-8e9c-c1e9f5c72fee.jpg

Thanks again Brian....great seeing Ramapo, Citicar & Ridgerunner Joe again...also great meeting macattack1961 & squeely...hope to see & cache with you all again very soon...

M

Mike

I don't know about the next one, but

On Sunday May 4, 2008 , I along with 30,000 others will seek this cache GC3CFC, anyone else who is interested in joining our sub group can contact me about riding in the 5 Borough Bike Tour . We have about 5 commited riders at this point, E Mail me for details and I will E Mail the infor. :)

Ok, so it appears as if some people want to go hiking , and it further appears that they want to meet at Back Beach Park in Haskel and from there go and do the hike as depicted , which is approximately 4.43 miles long. Requiring a stream crossing and avoidance of mud and ATV's . I would like to go on something like that if I could work it in. Looks promising. Has caches and views.

What is unclear is who is to organize this perambulation and who shall select the date and time , allowing others to establish their availability and to block their calendars. Who , Who, Who ? If no one steps up it will not get done.

Hmmmm --Pick a date , time and put it up on the forum and kick it off. Allow a two week window. Solicit E Mails and distribute your cell number. Print your maps and pick your route. Be conscious of the time alloted for your hike and have a good time.

If you want to make it an event you need to follow guidelines for an event allowing sufficient amoung to time. This would make a good event, but you must refer to it as a Group Hike, it is not a caching seeking hike.

Edited by Packanack
1.It is not a park and grab.

2. Ask your wife first if it is OK--Like that sign on Rt 46 says, Your wife called and said it is OK

3. I wil gift my Gebil Coin, #22 to some lucky winner attending the Sunrise Stepoff, I don't collect coins, for me Geocaching is all about the numbers

Yeah, I know. But I've got the whole day cleared, and the morning hike doesn't seem to be all that difficult. And besides, this has been on my wish list for some time now!

the morning hike doesn't seem to be all that difficult. (The difficult part is getting up at 5:30 AM on a Winter Sunday morning, not for the faint of hear)

And besides, this has been on my wish list for some time now! (We have to talk, the Mega Game is 179 million dollars and your wish list is the Gerbli Cache) :laughing:

Was doing some checking, and this hike looks to be the 1st Anniversary of the Sunrise Stepoff , Our snowy , icy walk in Wawayanda being #1 series of hikes and surpisingly it will be the 15th hike of this series, and by my less than scientific count there have been almost 100 hikers who have come along . So I am looking forward to it, having been somewhat inactive of late.

Actually, the CITO is the same time as this. I am betting the CITO is a NOGO due to SNOWO on Saturday, but what do I KNOWO ? Tough to pick up litter when it is under 6 inches of snow. Heck it is hard enough picking up an ammo can under 6 inches of snow.

Actually, we Sunrisers were planning for a CITO on April 20, or at least some of them did not groan too loudly when I mentioned it . Our only problem is finding a spot that needs attention. We are usually half asleep when we go venturing, so we haven't spotted any likely locations. And I did say that if the Sparta Folk ran into a problemo well perhaps there could be an accomodation. TRL did not have any control over the date that they picked up in Sparta, he was trying to help them out by getting them some bodies.

So you just noticed, does that mean you want a wake up call ? :)

Edited by Packanack