Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

What start time?

Our traditional start time is Assemble between 7 AM and hope to be stepping off by 7:30. So that means about 7:15AM , or 1/4 past dark. I am keying on a lollipop loop hike , not terribly severe terrain on the eastern side of Wawayanda, distance of 5+/- miles. Assmbly point at the Clinton Road Parking area, where you would head to Terrace Pond. C rating of solidly moderate from preliminary mapping.

Final details to be posted in near future.

I hope to pre hike the route this weekend or Thanksgiving weekend. There will be a couple of caches at least, but the object is BEAR HUNTING. :laughing: We want to see some bears.

LATER IN THE WINTER, WE MAY ACTUALLY DO A DAYTIME OR SUNSET HIKE ON A SATURDAY. I KNOW LAKELADY IS IN SHOCK. :D

Edited by Packanack

Park At coords listed in link and meet around 7:15--This is the large parking area on Clinton Road, across from trailhead for Terrace Pond. We will enter the Wildcat Project Use Gate.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/wpt.aspx?WI...b7a&RefDS=1

Parking coordinates. I was hoping to have several new caches out for this hike, I only have one in place. It is not published and the hikers will be the testers and of course will secure FTF claiming rights. I was in the area via mtn bike two weeks ago--it snowed that morning and my plans to go back were thwarted by holiday demands. The area is pleasant, terrain that I covered is not difficult. Primarily woods roads. But there is another area I want to check. I saw no bears. But who knows.

I will try and get back out before hike and drop another cache, but can not promise. The terrain is mild, but it is another unexplored venue. I believe I saw some evidence of mine activity, but may be mistaken. I think I have settled on a route which will put overground distance at about 5 miles, which is our normal target range. Weather calls for Snow Showers and those who were out in that area when we got snow, know the magic of snow in the woods. I was there 2 weeks ago while it was snowing, and it is a great experience.

Edited by Packanack

Watch weather closely, use zip code 07480 for weather search. Forecast calls for Wintry Mix and in that area that usually means icy conditions--as it is beyond the rise that blocks oceanic warming effect and runs 10 degrees colder than Bergen County or Lower Passaic County The latest forecast I have seen is for precip to begin 6 AM.

This E Mail has bee sent to all who responded

Edited by Packanack

I think I'm going to wuss out this time due to the weather. I like hiking in the snow, but driving in snow and ice for 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way...maybe not, although I really admire Mountainracer's attitude :mad: If its "wintry mix" for West Milford, it will probably be all snow up there though, which is pretty cool. I knew I should have tried "Goliath" again before these wintry conditions set in...no way I'm going up that rock pile with any snow or ice :mad:

Plus, as it turns out, we were up hiking Hank's Pond today so I was sort of just in that area :laughing: We didn't see any bears, but lots of bear "evidence" most of which looked pretty old, but one incidence that looked very fresh. I think we are just too noisy - to much talking going on. It was around 30 degree, but felt MUCH colder as it was pretty windy at times. Hope you all have a great time and I hope to make the next one.

Edited by trowel32

There are some others who have expressed interest for Jan 6 at Apshawa, I will try and rally them into attendance to kick off the New Year. I, however won't know my own status until tomorrow, after I see my DR. to check on something. So even if I can't make it, you guys ought to give it a go.

This area is getting universally high marks .

Hee hee, at least Packanack's giving fair warning he might not show. I was stood up at 7 a.m. at the Cape Cod Rail Trail last summer :rolleyes: But it was a fabulous venture, anyway, and I appreciated the extra motivation to get out on the trail early.

Sounds like you've got quite a hike planned. Now you've got me thinking about an early cache on the Cape on New Year's - as long as I wear blaze orange and don't get my head shot off by the hunters!

Happy New Year to all (and Pack, I hope all is well)!

I am planning on being there. I went over on Sunday, the turn off of Macopin Road is next to State Electric and Motor repair, a steel industrial type building, there is a sign for Apshawa School and there is a Passaic County Sign for the Apshawa Preserve. but in the fashion of Passaic County it is busy about Passaic County and that ilk and hard to read about Apshawa Preserve. The ample parking lot is directly ahead about 100 yard and it was icy near the Kiosk. I have invited a couple of Non Geocaching friends and invite others to do the same. The more the merrier.

BiPR, I think I was there, but a day late and oh yeah I was lacking a dollar, my tale.--but if memory serves wasn't that the day you rode the full length of the trail , so you missed nothing. Happy New Year.

Edited by Packanack

I am planning on being there. I went over on Sunday, the turn off of Macopin Road is next to State Electric and Motor repair, a steel industrial type building, there is a sign for Apshawa School and there is a Passaic County Sign for the Apshawa Preserve. but in the fashion of Passaic County it is busy about Passaic County and that ilk and hard to read about Apshawa Preserve. The ample parking lot is directly ahead about 100 yard and it was icy near the Kiosk. I have invited a couple of Non Geocaching friends and invite others to do the same. The more the merrier.

BiPR, I think I was there, but a day late and oh yeah I was lacking a dollar, my tale.--but if memory serves wasn't that the day you rode the full length of the trail , so you missed nothing. Happy New Year.

For those of you who have not been to Apshawa Preserve. It is a must visit. Although the terrain is not severe, the topography and rock outcrops are surprisingly numerous and significant and fun to explore the trails are great if under used and the lake is also very pretty. We are lucky to have this little nugget preserved. I recommend this outing to all.

:P Thread Bump and reminder: Sunday is on. Apshawa parking off Macopin Road /Northwoods Road .

All are welcomed to join us. Bring trail breakfast. E Mail through site and I will e mail phone number. Weather is warming and should be pleasant walk, not too severe.

We started doing these last year around this time and we have gone on to 9 or 10 different places. Including one where Weathernowcast lead an epic journey to Aircraft 3 in the Catskills. Every single one of them has been memorable in its own right even just for the fun , so I sincerely mean all are welcomed to join us. We had a hike where people saw their first bear. We have seen turkey, mink, coyote, bear, deer, pileated woodpeckers. We have seen impressive stone walls, mines, birds that eat out of your hand, ruins and some real pleasant views. Hopefully, this year we can get the group paddle in at the Meadowlands-- and perhaps a bike caching trip and a Sunset Stepoff.

Edited by Packanack

:P Thread Bump and reminder: Sunday is on. Apshawa parking off Macopin Road /Northwoods Road .

All are welcomed to join us. Bring trail breakfast. E Mail through site and I will e mail phone number. Weather is warming and should be pleasant walk, not too severe.

We started doing these last year around this time and we have gone on to 9 or 10 different places. Including one where Weathernowcast lead an epic journey to Aircraft 3 in the Catskills. Every single one of them has been memorable in its own right even just for the fun , so I sincerely mean all are welcomed to join us. We had a hike where people saw their first bear. We have seen turkey, mink, coyote, bear, deer, pileated woodpeckers. We have seen impressive stone walls, mines, birds that eat out of your hand, ruins and some real pleasant views. Hopefully, this year we can get the group paddle in at the Meadowlands-- and perhaps a bike caching trip and a Sunset Stepoff.

..and once in a while we find a geocache.

:huh: Thread Bump and reminder: Sunday is on. Apshawa parking off Macopin Road /Northwoods Road .

..and once in a while we find a geocache.

..and once in a while we place a geocache or two!