Sunrise Step Off

Packanack

We are planning to go early --on trail at 7 AM to seek Terrace Pond North and GC-5 and possibly place a new cache in that area. You are out early and home early any interest ?? Plan is for March 4--Sunday Morning. We have a couple of people who have expressed interest. We plan to leave from the Clinton Road trailhead on go up the Blue Trail.

Edited by Packanack

I may be interested . . . let me check with the boss, and I will pm you.

I have an event (non-geocaching) the night before, so depending on the amount of "fun" I have may dictate how early I will be willing to get out of bed and make the trip south.

Will Bearfort Mountain be part of the find? what about the others listed here?

The caches:

Terrace Pond North

GC5

and maybe Bearfort Mountain?

and maybe Find BrianSnat's Ammo Can #7?

[edited: b/c I really butchered up the links!}

Edited by brian b

GC 5 and Terrace Pond North will probably be off table due to additional snow picked up this weekend just passed. I was in that vicinity on Sunday and the snow before the latest was hard packed and easy to walk on, but was glazed in some areas, presenting some slippery areas. I do not want to have to posthole to GC 5 and the icy steep going and coming could prove dangerous.

GC 5 and Terrace Pond North will probably be off table due to additional snow picked up this weekend just passed. I was in that vicinity on Sunday and the snow before the latest was hard packed and easy to walk on, but was glazed in some areas, presenting some slippery areas. I do not want to have to posthole to GC 5 and the icy steep going and coming could prove dangerous.

Is it strong enough to support us if we're using crampons?

I was thinking the same thing. Crampons provide incredible traction.

The only problem is locating a cache under rocks AND snow. I was going to contact the owners to see if these will be accessible under the present conditions (and we are supposed to get additional precipittaion this Thursday night . . . unknown what type yet).

Weather has never deterred me from hiking!

I was thinking the same thing. Crampons provide incredible traction.

The only problem is locating a cache under rocks AND snow. I was going to contact the owners to see if these will be accessible under the present conditions (and we are supposed to get additional precipittaion this Thursday night . . . unknown what type yet).

Weather has never deterred me from hiking!

My Terrace Pond cache is also in the area and quite accessible in the snow.

If I recall the TPN cache correctly, the first stage might be real tough to find in the snow. Second fairly easy and final should be findable unless there is a lot of snow.

GC5 should easily be found in the snow unless there are a couple of feet.

Bearfort Mtn could be tough, but not impossible in snow.

No reason that hike can't be made using crampons. I've done it before.

Hmmm, maybe I'll tag along. I've found these caches, but I love that hike.

Edited by briansnat
Is this still a possibility? It's a bit of a drive, so just want to see if there's still interest

As of right now, i am planning on being at the stated parking around 7am. . . unless 1) the weather turns nasty or 2) the wife tells me otherwise.

I will be bringing my crampons for this one!

Anyone else?

:(--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brian b @ Mar 1 2007, 10:19 AM) 2739838[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Is this still a possibility? It's a bit of a drive, so just want to see if there's still interest

As of right now, i am planning on being at the stated parking around 7am. . . unless 1) the weather turns nasty or 2) the wife tells me otherwise.

I will be bringing my crampons for this one!

Anyone else?

It looks like the wife is working on Sunday so I'll likely be there with crampons/ice axe in hand <_< I'll have to get busy finding some nearby caches while I'm at it. Maybe one of the Loops from Briansnat's other thread.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I am planning on being there bright and early. I think the forecast for tonight into tomorrow is heavy rain, which should wash away most of the snow. I have received affirmative responses from several people. So there should be a few people there to make the hike. Even without caching the hike is special, a very pretty area with a number of attractive features.

It looks like the wife is working on Sunday so I'll likely be there with crampons/ice axe in hand

Good thing I saw this post. I would have been there Sat morning waiting a long time for everyone. Can't be there Sunday tho. Oh well.

Even with the rain tomorrow, crampons might be needed at least in the morning. The rain might make the snow more compact and wet and if it freezes overnight it could get quite slick.

what are crampons?

33058.jpg

Sold at Campmor, Ramsey Outdoors, REI, EMS and they are critical safety equipment on icy trails.

I used those Alpins, too, Brian, but switched to Kahtoolas after arriving up here in ice and snow country. Absolutely great for use with regular hiking boots or shoes.

kaht-stl-lg.jpg

FYI, Skigirl and I were hiking in the area today on the other side of Clinton Rd. There is still plenty of snow on the ground. We didn't wear crampons, but had them along. We generally didn't need them because the snow was soft and the terrain was flat. The only time we wished we had them on were the few steeper sections, but they were real short so we didn't bother.

I'd say crampons would still be a good idea on the Terrace Pond side because its steeper and the overnight cold will probably harden the snow.

Thanks to Straatmaker 5, brian b, Ramapo and Fox-and-the Hound, for making the first Sunrise Step Off a very pleasant experience. The forecast did not call for any new snow, but we got plenty during our hike, which only made the winter woods experience that much more enjoyable. Look for Future Sunrise Step Off hikes here in the near future. Hmmm , who was that guy the Fox or the Hound ?

Thanks to Straatmaker 5, brian b, Ramapo and Fox-and-the Hound, for making the first Sunrise Step Off a very pleasant experience. The forecast did not call for any new snow, but we got plenty during our hike, which only made the winter woods experience that much more enjoyable. Look for Future Sunrise Step Off hikes here in the near future. Hmmm , who was that guy the Fox or the Hound ?

I also enjoyed the 6 mile, easy walk in the woods. Special thanks to Chris (the Hound) for sharing a coin each of his personal collection. Count me in for the next early morning hike . . . maybe then we can actually complete the "planned" hike :anibad:

Had a great time hiking and thanks everybody for waiting up for the lost guy :blink: Really looking forward to visiting for another shot at the original destination, too. I didn't think to ask while on the hike, but those were some excellent topo maps guys, where did you pick them up? Are they available to be downloaded? Definitely bringing Moun10Girl to hike this in the future and it turns out she has family right in the area, too. :blink:

Had a great time hiking and thanks everybody for waiting up for the lost guy :blink: Really looking forward to visiting for another shot at the original destination, too. I didn't think to ask while on the hike, but those were some excellent topo maps guys, where did you pick them up? Are they available to be downloaded? Definitely bringing Moun10Girl to hike this in the future and it turns out she has family right in the area, too. :blink:

You mean you guys didn't reach the goal? I'm so disappointed. I wanted to live vicariously through the logs.

I assume the maps that people had where the NYNJTC's new north Jersey mapset. They are available here.

Had a great time hiking and thanks everybody for waiting up for the lost guy :D Really looking forward to visiting for another shot at the original destination, too. I didn't think to ask while on the hike, but those were some excellent topo maps guys, where did you pick them up? Are they available to be downloaded? Definitely bringing Moun10Girl to hike this in the future and it turns out she has family right in the area, too. :D

You mean you guys didn't reach the goal? I'm so disappointed. I wanted to live vicariously through the logs.

I assume the maps that people had where the NYNJTC's new north Jersey mapset. They are available here.

Nope. We had planned on Terrace Pond North, Bearfort and possible GC5 . . . but the icy conditions (and the wisdom of several members) prohited us from that search. So instead, we found Find BrianSnats Ammo Can #7, placed Sunrise Step Off Old Coal Road (named for the morning's walk), and then finished off with Lakelady's Tee Shirt Exchange . Made our way down to the road (Clinton Road, I presume), and walked the road back to the car. Total of about 6 miles, but it was a relatively easy six miles (I was the only one who fell . . . .)

Had time not been a factor, I probably would have braved GC5 and Terrace Pond North with Hound, but I didn't want the wife to revoke my hiking priveledges!

and the wisdom of several members--Read the two old guys. who have place names, fear of falling and brittle bones

[bAs to future plans]

When is the next one? I will shoot for 3/18 but more likely 3/25. The preliminary indication being to go up the Stateline trail to the area of Covert and do the BrianSnat caches up top. Anyone interested ? None on Easter, so I need to look at calendar.

April is looking like A Waywayanda outing/ Jennings ? Any interest ? Or Hanks Pond circular.

May a possible Morris County venue such as Pyramid Mtn area Big Turk etc, etc. ?

June

By consensus we will try for GC5 later in the spring, perhaps as far back as June when the Mountain Laurel blooms ? Any Interest, may revise.

July Any interest in a canoe/kayak venue to the Meadowlands, there is a canoe livery at Laurel Hill Park in Secaucus and between us friends it is magnificent to see via canoe and just perhaps there may be a couple of caches to be found by then. Any Interest ?

Edited by Packanack

Had a great time hiking and thanks everybody for waiting up for the lost guy :D Really looking forward to visiting for another shot at the original destination, too. I didn't think to ask while on the hike, but those were some excellent topo maps guys, where did you pick them up? Are they available to be downloaded? Definitely bringing Moun10Girl to hike this in the future and it turns out she has family right in the area, too. :D

Sweet, thanks for the link! No, we didn't make it this time. I held everyone up initially and then we only had 3 pair for 5 guys. Considered a second expedition with a smaller group, but most everyone had some time constraints so we figured we'd give it another go soon. :D We were a bit surprised to see you'd been at the exchange with the area completely smoothed of any traces after the previous afternoon's meltoff followed by the overnight freeze.

I also had a great time on Sunday. It was a fine hike with a fine group of fellow adventurers. The snow squall added a nice touch even though we were anticipating a sunny 40-degree morning. My thanks too to Chris for the coin.

Our easy hike was treacherous enough with the ice hiding under the newly fallen snow. The trip up to Terrace Pond would've been unpleasant at best and quite possibly dangerous for young and old alike. Though I'm usually game for most any trek in the woods, after having gotten a look at the local conditions I was quite relieved at the change in destination. I've never gone out with crampons and I'm not sure that this would've been a good learning experience either.

I'm looking forward to the next early morning outing. With the change to DST, we could get a very early start if we want to hold somewhat true to a Sunrise Step Off, though it might be somewhat painful to get up that early. However, we'd have more time out before turning into pumpkins and risking "the look" upon arriving home late from the hike.

I'm not around for 3/18 as I'll be in Chicago to visit the kids but I'm good for 3/25. I think I've done all those caches but I'm more than happy to go along for the hike. The other possible venues sound good, especially the Meadowlands canoe trip. This is another one of those things that I've been meaning to do forever and just haven't gotten around to doing. Nothing like a group outing for inspiration.

I picked up a pair of STABILicers a few weeks ago and tried them out on some of the remaining portions of icy trail around Ramapo Lake on sunday. They seem pretty good, are a lot lighter and cheaper than crampons (I got mine on extreme sale for $10 - normally $40), and you can buy replacement steel cleats for them. I didn't seem to be able to slip on the ice even when I tried, and was able to run in them without slipping. I'm not sure how good they would be for hard core climbing, but are probably o.k. for most conditions you would encounter in New Jersey. I only wish I had tried them out when we wussed out near the top of one of the high peaks in NY -- there wasn't enough snow for snowshoeing. It was sort of a mixture of bare rock, with thin lenses of snow and ice. They probably would have been perfect.

The one time I actually used crampons (ice climbing) - I narrowly avoided serious injury when I somehow managed to slip on a relatively level icy area :P - go figure.

I picked up a pair of STABILicers a few weeks ago and tried them out on some of the remaining portions of icy trail around Ramapo Lake on sunday. They seem pretty good, are a lot lighter and cheaper than crampons (I got mine on extreme sale for $10 - normally $40), and you can buy replacement steel cleats for them. I didn't seem to be able to slip on the ice even when I tried, and was able to run in them without slipping. I'm not sure how good they would be for hard core climbing, but are probably o.k. for most conditions you would encounter in New Jersey. I only wish I had tried them out when we wussed out near the top of one of the high peaks in NY -- there wasn't enough snow for snowshoeing. It was sort of a mixture of bare rock, with thin lenses of snow and ice. They probably would have been perfect.

The one time I actually used crampons (ice climbing) - I narrowly avoided serious injury when I somehow managed to slip on a relatively level icy area :P - go figure.

I've used STABILicers. They are fine for flatter trails, but not suitable for a steep, rocky climbs like most of the climbs up Bearfort Ridge and more rugged areas in the Ramapos and Kittitannys. After a few bad experiences on steeper terrain with STABILicers (they start shifting and won't stay put) I bought 6 point crampons and use them exclusively now.

SABILicers are a world ahead of YakTrax though. YakTrax are suitable for walking the mailbox and that's about it.

Edited by briansnat

After a few bad experiences on steeper terrain with STABILicers (they start shifting and won't stay put) I bought 6 point crampons and use them exclusively now.

SABILicers are a world ahead of YakTrax though. YakTrax are suitable for walking the mailbox and that's about it.

I got the stabilicers that stretch over your boots as opposed to the strap on ones and they didn't seem to budge for me, once I got the darn things on (requires some heavy stretching)...of course I also didn't go on any seriously steep terrain. I saw the strap on ones too, but they didn't look as good. I guess I'll have to experiment with them. Even if they suck, I'm only out $10 :P

I agree on the yaktrax although I did get a pair just for amusement. I guess they might be o.k. on just plain snow.

After a few bad experiences on steeper terrain with STABILicers (they start shifting and won't stay put) I bought 6 point crampons and use them exclusively now.

I got the stabilicers that stretch over your boots as opposed to the strap on ones and they didn't seem to budge for me, once I got the darn things on (requires some heavy stretching)...of course I also didn't go on any seriously steep terrain. I saw the strap on ones too, but they didn't look as good. I guess I'll have to experiment with them. Even if they suck, I'm only out $10 :P

I agree on the yaktrax although I did get a pair just for amusement. I guess they might be o.k. on just plain snow.

My experience is with the strap on model. I think you have the "sport" model so your mileage may vary. They also sell STABILicer overshoes. Still, I don't see the short studs giving enough grip on steep slopes with hard ice.

My experience is with the strap on model. I think you have the "sport" model so your mileage may vary. They also sell STABILicer overshoes. Still, I don't see the short studs giving enough grip on steep slopes with hard ice.

Yeah, I think the "sport" model stays put better, but they only have half as many studs per foot (something like 9 versus 17). I'll have to try them on some steeper terrain sometime (and hopefully I won't kill myself :lol: ) I definitely wouldn't use them on the top of Mount Marcy or anything though :P

--Still, I don't see the short studs giving enough grip on steep slopes with hard ice.--

Any of you short studs out there want to take issue with being maligned by BrianSnat--Feel free. Klizitsch I think he was talking about you. I am not that short.

But --Oh yeah, Any interest in a Sunrise Step Off for March 25, A Sunday. The object of this is to allow those with family or other time constraints to get out in a group for a little time, so as to not interfere with the rest of the family, good company. So you are not always caching alone. We will be looking at the Waywayanda State Park Area. We would like to shoot for about a 4 hour excusion, starting 7 or before , so you can be home before noon.

If any interest --advise --If not I will not make any plans.

I have already received input that some people would like to :

1. Do a canoe /kayak trip

2. Do a bike trip on the Orange Heritage Bike Trail in Monroe NY

So if there is interest there, please say so.

--Still, I don't see the short studs giving enough grip on steep slopes with hard ice.--

Any of you short studs out there want to take issue with being maligned by BrianSnat--Feel free. Klizitsch I think he was talking about you. I am not that short.

But --Oh yeah, Any interest in a Sunrise Step Off for March 25, A Sunday. The object of this is to allow those with family or other time constraints to get out in a group for a little time, so as to not interfere with the rest of the family, good company. So you are not always caching alone. We will be looking at the Waywayanda State Park Area. We would like to shoot for about a 4 hour excusion, starting 7 or before , so you can be home before noon.

If any interest --advise --If not I will not make any plans.

I have already received input that some people would like to :

1. Do a canoe /kayak trip

2. Do a bike trip on the Orange Heritage Bike Trail in Monroe NY

So if there is interest there, please say so.

I'll double check with Moun10Girl & Fox, but from our last conversation I think the 25th would work well for us. :anibad:

Would definitely have interest in a caching-by-waterway trip and the bike trip.

Check ebay for used crampons. Even old pairs can be sharpened and work just find. We bought two pair a couple years back for about 30 or 40 per set that have been working just fine ever since. :P

Any Interest for the 25th

Sunrise Step Off- 2

7 AM Step Off -- 3/25/07—Rain Cancels—Leaving from Parking area on Cherry Ridge Road—Off of Clinton Road. Wawayanda State Park. To reach parking area turn on to Cherry Ridge Road from Clinton and proceed to end. There might be a couple of caches in the area, but can't promise, but we will surely be placing at least one, maybe two or three if we can get someone to carry a can.

The hike as planned will leave from the parking area on Yellow to Blue (Cedar Swamp) left onto Double Pond Road, to Red Dot , south to Cherry Ridge-those looking to bail out can do so at that point and return via Cherry Ridge to their cars –approx distance 4.0 miles

Those seeking to go further may turn right on Chery Ridge Road, To intersection with White Lake Lookour trail, back to red Old Coal Road , back to Cherry Ridge Road, back to cars 6.5 miles approx

Edited by Packanack

Any Interest for the 25th

Sunrise Step Off- 2

7 AM Step Off -- 3/25/07—Rain Cancels—Leaving from Parking area on Cherry Ridge Road—Off of Clinton Road. Wawayanda State Park. To reach parking area turn on to Cherry Ridge Road from Clinton and proceed to end. There might be a couple of caches in the area, but can't promise, but we will surely be placing at least one, maybe two or three if we can get someone to carry a can.

The hike as planned will leave from the parking area on Yellow to Blue (Cedar Swamp) left onto Double Pond Road, to Red Dot , south to Cherry Ridge-those looking to bail out can do so at that point and return via Cherry Ridge to their cars –approx distance 4.0 miles

Those seeking to go further may turn right on Chery Ridge Road, To intersection with White Lake Lookour trail, back to red Old Coal Road , back to Cherry Ridge Road, back to cars 6.5 miles approx

Did that exact hike in the opposite direction a few weekends ago. It's a very nice one. I think the only cache along the way is Lakelady's T shirt exchange (I forget the actual name). I did encounter several spots that I filed in the back of my mind for future caches, but if you beat me to them that's all the better. Gives me more to hunt.

Also in the general area --How general is that general area. We should be able to do eenie meenie, as that is on our way, we may be able to pick up an Ay Caramba station, but I think the others are off our itinerary. We did T Shirt Exchange last time, we are thinking of placing

a few caches just because.