Secret Bunny OR Mission May Day

UOTrackers

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about the Missions. They are a lot of fun, and I know for some, being able to track down coins off of a person's "seeking" lists is half the fun. The time between St. Patty's Day and Easter isn't a lot of time, especially if your trying to track down trades. So I thought I'd give you a choice. Secret Bunny for Easter or Mission May Day for May 1st.

Let me tell you a bit about why I chose May Day. When I was little we had a May day tradition, that isn't all that unlike the secret missions here. The previous day we would go to a local nursery and pick up flowers to plant, we would either arrange them in another pot or leave them so that the receiver could plant them how they liked. On the Morning of May 1st we would deliver the packages to doorsteps, ring the doorbell and hide. When they came to see who it was we would jump up and shout "Happy May Day!" Granted we didn't stay a secret but it was all for family and friends.

For either choice I was thinking of opening up the name trades around the 1st of the previous month in order to have plenty of time for any trading you may want to do for your secret recipient. So for Secret Bunny March 1st and for May Day April 1st. So Let me know what ya'll think!

Either way sounds good to me...I kind-of prefer a longer break between the exchanges, so I prefer to wait until May but will participate either way :rolleyes:. May 2nd was the day that the selective availability was turned off, and on May 3rd the 1st cache was hidden by Dave Ulmer...so the beginning of May is definately worthy of honoring.

Edited by DresselDragons

May Day for me. :rolleyes: As a child I would make a paper cone shape basket with a handle. Then I would pick flowers (there might have been a weed or two mixed in) to fill the basket. On May Day I would hang the basket, hoping that it didn't get to soggy and make the glue come loose making the flowers fall out. I would ring the door bell and run to hide. Of course I could hear my mother gasp in glee and exclaim "I wonder where these lovely flowers came from?" Never once did she let on. Well this tradition went on till my mother passed away in 1996 at the age of 80. Even while I was living in Montana or Eastern Washington. I always sent her a Secret May Day Basket every May. It might have been a bouquet from a florist or a little basket of seeds. But I never once forgot May Day. It might have been a day or two late, but I always sent or delievered one to her. So this one would be a special Secret Mission for me. :rolleyes:

Lummieh

aka Old Woman of the Tribe

May Day for me. :rolleyes: As a child I would make a paper cone shape basket with a handle. Then I would pick flowers (there might have been a weed or two mixed in) to fill the basket. On May Day I would hang the basket, hoping that it didn't get to soggy and make the glue come loose making the flowers fall out. I would ring the door bell and run to hide. Of course I could hear my mother gasp in glee and exclaim "I wonder where these lovely flowers came from?" Never once did she let on. Well this tradition went on till my mother passed away in 1996 at the age of 80. Even while I was living in Montana or Eastern Washington. I always sent her a Secret May Day Basket every May. It might have been a bouquet from a florist or a little basket of seeds. But I never once forgot May Day. It might have been a day or two late, but I always sent or delievered one to her. So this one would be a special Secret Mission for me. :rolleyes:

Lummieh

Wow that was such a great story. I'm not the only one who did the flowers! Yay!

Yep we did the flowers and homemade baskets too in grade school but we usually olny had dandelions to put in it :rolleyes:

Since DD mentioned about the selective availability turn off then maybe the start of May would be a good idea. I was going to push for the Easter Bunny and jelly bean coins!!!

I'd go with the bunny.

I can't think of the words May Day without thinking of a plane crash or a communist holiday.

Now ... maybe if was a communist bunny in a plane flying around a pole ...

Been wondering if someone is going to make a coin (or coins) with the Secret Santa, Cupid, Leprechaun, Bunny, and what ever is next with first purchase option to folks who have participated.

I'd go with the bunny.

I can't think of the words May Day without thinking of a plane crash or a communist holiday.

Now ... maybe if was a communist bunny in a plane flying around a pole ...

Been wondering if someone is going to make a coin (or coins) with the Secret Santa, Cupid, Leprechaun, Bunny, and what ever is next with first purchase option to folks who have participated.

I'm not a communist, don't know much about their holiday's. I just know that May Day held a special memory for me from when I was a child.

As far as a coin, I've been thinking about designing one called "Mission Makers" but it hasn't gone past that yet, as I'd have to talk to Allie who started all of this anyway! It might be prudent to wait until a full year of missions has been done then include each mission somehow on the coins design.

I enjoy the missions, so I'll participate in either one whether itt's called Secret Bunny or May Day. Reading ScoutingWV's post reminded me of when I was in my first elementary school in the mid 70's, we had bomb drills. The principal would get on the intercom and say "Mayday, mayday, mayday". That meant we had to evacuate the classrooms. This differed from fire drills, where an alarm would just go off. When we moved to another part of Miami and I went to another elementary school, we never had bomb drills there and the kids had never heard of them! It all seems so foreign now. Anyways, I love the secret missions, so I'm in for as long as I have coins! ;)

I would like to have more time between missions (just got the last of my trades for the Cupid mission the other day). But, I'd participate either way :P

I agree with this, having a secret mission every other month would burn me out. Sometimes one isn't finished when the other one is beginning to get planned. :P

December Santa

February Cupid

April Bunny

I would like to have more time between missions (just got the last of my trades for the Cupid mission the other day). But, I'd participate either way :P

I agree with this, having a secret mission every other month would burn me out. Sometimes one isn't finished when the other one is beginning to get planned. :P

December Santa

February Cupid

April Bunny

I agree... but between April and December seems a big time frame... Maybe one in there somewheres...

CA

Edited to say that its up to who ever is going to be hold them and really up to everyone else if they want to participate...

Edited by cache agent

I personally like the May Day thing because May is my last name. :P

I remember in school we had those celebrations (never knew why, really) where kids would circle around a May Pole with ribbons and stuff and kinda weave a pattern down the pole as they went around the outside in opposite directions.

maypole2.jpg

Naturally, I got teased because my last name was the same as the 'holiday', but I looked at it like the day was named after me! :P

You could call it Geocaching Birthday Exchange since the original stash was placed then...I always like giving and receiving birthday gifts!! Just a thought

I like that idea!

Me too!

That is brilliant... we should make that date "International Geocaching Day" and celebrate it globally every year! (I'm not kidding)

Get some publicity behind it... raise public awareness.

Why not do a Secret Bunny and a Secret May exchange. Sounds like many people want both and if someone thinks it's too much, then they certainly don't have to participate. I would hate to see an Easter exchange passed up, as it's probably the next most significant holiday worldwide next to Christmas. Might be easier to run 2 smaller exchanges than 1 big one too and I am sure that if it is too much for 1 person to do, then 2 different people could do one of each.

Why not do a Secret Bunny and a Secret May exchange. Sounds like many people want both and if someone thinks it's too much, then they certainly don't have to participate. I would hate to see an Easter exchange passed up, as it's probably the next most significant holiday worldwide next to Christmas. Might be easier to run 2 smaller exchanges than 1 big one too and I am sure that if it is too much for 1 person to do, then 2 different people could do one of each.

I love the exchanges, but I feel that having both Easter and May is just too much. Personally, I prefer an Easter exchange, however, it is just too close to the St. Patrick's exchange. Plus, assuming that this tradition continues, sometimes Easter is in March; what would be done then? Maybe we could've combined Easter and St. Patrick's Day (with a green bunny as the mascot...LOL).

For the sake of spreading them apart, I feel May is much better (and what a better thing for a bunch of cachers to celebrate than the birth of geocaching?). No, I don't need to participate all of the exchanges, but that's not the point. If we have them at such a high frequency, they cease to be special.

I was minting a Bunny coin to be released during Secret Bunny,

but have decided to halt that idea.

bunnyko5.png

The Bunny Coin now is going to be a Diabetes Awareness Coin...

Artwork is currently being changed.

The front side will be Blue instead, it will say Unite for Diabetes

and the Bunny will be holding the Blue Diabetes Circle.

There will also be a full keyhole cutout.

Edited by Fluttershy

Yes, I agree it would be fun to do both.

I am new to secret missions, but am going to try the Secret Leprechaun. Why not do both but make it a one coin limit for each one.

(off topic alert) I am still working on how to get my coin links in my signature line without having to do it on each post ;) I tried copying the URL's into the profile page but they show up here as URL's :laughing: blind user error I am sure :laughing:

---------

My Trade List

December Santa

February Cupid

April Bunny

I agree... but between April and December seems a big time frame... Maybe one in there somewheres...

CA

LOL! I listed those as to show what had occured just in the last couple months, not as a list for the whole year! So yeah, April to December is kinda long!

Neat idea and project. :)

I was minting a Bunny coin to be released during Secret Bunny,

but have decided to halt that idea.

bunnyko5.png

The front side will be Blue instead, it will say Unite for Diabetes

and the Bunny will be holding the Blue Diabetes Circle.

There will also be a full keyhole cutout.

WOW!!! I love that coin! Will the new ones representing diabetes be for sale?

May Day for me. <_< As a child I would make a paper cone shape basket with a handle. Then I would pick flowers (there might have been a weed or two mixed in) to fill the basket. On May Day I would hang the basket, hoping that it didn't get to soggy and make the glue come loose making the flowers fall out. I would ring the door bell and run to hide. Of course I could hear my mother gasp in glee and exclaim "I wonder where these lovely flowers came from?" Never once did she let on. Well this tradition went on till my mother passed away in 1996 at the age of 80. Even while I was living in Montana or Eastern Washington. I always sent her a Secret May Day Basket every May. It might have been a bouquet from a florist or a little basket of seeds. But I never once forgot May Day. It might have been a day or two late, but I always sent or delievered one to her. So this one would be a special Secret Mission for me. :D

Lummieh

Wow that was such a great story. I'm not the only one who did the flowers! Yay!

Well, I thought only old people like myself did things like that when they were a kid. . .or perhaps it is a southern thing. Either way, I like the idea that it is still being done. I know the recipients always enjoy the flowers.

I have never participated in one of these because the timing hasn't been right for me. It takes me a while to figure things out, so if it is done in May, it should give my feeble brain enough time to figure it out! :D

December Santa

February Cupid

April Bunny

CA

LOL! I listed those as to show what had occured just in the last couple months, not as a list for the whole year! So yeah, April to December is kinda long!

How about 3 months July 4th Indepandance Day coin exchange <_<

How about 3 months July 4th Indepandance Day coin exchange :(

I think that the timing (ie: July) would be ideal, but we since this is an international venture, it should probably not be an Independence Day exchange. :(

Opps you are quite correct sorry , But July does seem fitting in time frame, then Christmas would be 5 months after for Secret Santa again <_<

EDIT opps 5 months

Edited by glennk721

How about 3 months July 4th Indepandance Day coin exchange :(

I think that the timing (ie: July) would be ideal, but we since this is an international venture, it should probably not be an Independence Day exchange. :(

Opps you are quite correct sorry , But July does seem fitting in time frame, then Christmas would be 4 months after for Secret Santa again <_<

Christmas in July?

How about 3 months July 4th Indepandance Day coin exchange <_<

I think that the timing (ie: July) would be ideal, but we since this is an international venture, it should probably not be an Independence Day exchange. <_<

Opps you are quite correct sorry , But July does seem fitting in time frame, then Christmas would be 5 months after for Secret Santa again :(

Christmas in July?

LOL No Christmas being 5 months later in December after the July event :( . Also as Fluttershy Posted the Secret Halloween in October

SO::

July exchange ? event since Indepandance day is not celebrated by all

Then October Halloween

Then December Santa

Edited by glennk721

Obscure July holiday...I am not making this up...

All or Nothing Day - July 26th

All or Nothing Day isn't an official holiday, but it's a fun holiday that can be observed on July 26th. The motto for All or Nothing Day is to live life like it's your last day on Earth. It's the day appreciate all that you've got goin' in your life.

Allie, I will take on the hosting in July, If you need a volunteer, also UOTrackers started this thread should be run past her ? , If so closer to that time will create a seperate email account for the event so my current email account won't be swamped and will have less chance of mix ups. Glenn

Allie, I know you spearheaded the missions <_< I was just trying to be respectful to UOtrackers since Jennifer started this thread thats all, I still indeed would host the mission :(

Edited by glennk721