City Navigator NT upgrade problems

Rosterman

I have City Select North America v7, and ordered the City Navigator North America v8 upgrade DVD. I received the DVD, and did not load it after hearing my 60Cx could use the City Navigator NT maps.

Since I did not purchase or use the City Navigator v8 upgrade DVD, I tried to order the City Navigator North America NT v8 upgrade DVD, but was unsuccessful since it shows I already ordered the City Navigator v8 upgrade DVD (but did not purchase or register it).

This was Garmin's reply to my email to them:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin.

The system views the "original format" and the NT one as different

products. If you have for the older version in the original format

(which would be the case with a previous version of Select) the update

route would involve updating to the same format with it (original

format). It is the way the unlock system is set up. There isn't a way

to move between them I'm sorry to say.

Thank you again for your interest in Garmin GPS. Have you seen our

online Map Viewer? Preview the basic data in many of the MapSource

products firsthand."

So if I'm following this correctly, they are saying I cannot upgrade to NT, because I didn't own the previous version of NT, but there was no previous version of NT??

Has anyone here doen the $75 upgrade from City Select v7, to City Navigator NT v8? If so, please help me.

That is how I understand it.

You can not upgrade from non-NT to NT (at this time). If you want NT, you must buy a full version.

NT was available packaged with units (I believe) in the past, but not as a standalone. so that is what the upgrade is for.

http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsour...CD=010-10810-00

This update is for the StreetPilot c320/c330/c340, i2/i3/i5, Quest 2, 2720/2730, 7200/7500, iQue 3000 and nuvi.

http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsour...CD=010-10391-06

Update for City Navigator, City Select and StreetPilot 2620/2660 customers.
Edited by Red90

Thanks Red90,

The Garmin rep replied back after I asked more questions, politely explaining how the unlock system would not allow an upgrade to NT.

The rep graciously offered to sell a "real" v8 NT at the upgrade price if it was that important to me.

"The mechanism of doing it that way would be different as with the "out

of the box" NT you would get a new unlock coupon to redeem with the

disk."

So, I need to decide if NT is the way to go. I've seen the comparisons for map sizes and the # of map segments for NT vs Non-NT. And I understand NT may cause some slow down of my 60Cx when searching POI's, or redrawing maps following a turn alert.

I need input from 60Cx or 76Cx users if they are satisfied with NT. I wonder if I should start another thread?