Mission Geocoin: Secret ?

tsunrisebey

I'm looking for opinions/advice.

I signed up for my first secret geocoin mission and then after looking through some of the seeking lists that posters have, I'm wondering if I didn't get in over my head here.

There is a piece of me that thinks; people should be happy with what they get, as it's suppose to be fun and no pressure, right?

Then I don't want my person to be secretly disappointed that I couldn't get them the XLE 2007 Compass Rose coin.............lol.

Some of us are just starting out in the geocoin world, so our trading ability is limited. I know where to buy coins (ebay, coin site sellers), I'm just concerned about not having access to many of the coins out there that many people want. I know, I should have thought about this before volunteering.

Anyhow, am I putting too much pressure on myself? Thoughts anyone?

Tsun :rolleyes:

It's like Christmas IMO. Too many people worry about WHAT they are giving, and lose focus of what's important - the fact that you ARE giving.

Don't worry about what it is. If they get something they already have they can use it for other trades or (heaven forbid) dropping in caches. :rolleyes:

We actually thought hard about that last night. We want to join in, but are afraid we'll disappoint the person we sent the coins too.

I think a seeking list/wishlist is just a general guide to help you figure out what type of coins your person likes. There is a high probability that they'll like the coins you get them no matter what. :rolleyes:

We participated in the last mission. I received some coins that were on my list and some that were not We were thrilled with all the coins we got, regardless of whether or not they were on our seeking list. I think the lists are just to help you decide what coins to send. I'm sure whatever you send will be greatly appreciated and anyone would be thrilled to have one of your handmade coins.

I know many of us make trades to get some of the coins for our mission. I did that with 2 of the ones that I sent.

So, have fun with it -- don't put so much pressure on yourself! :rolleyes:

These Missions have been one of the most positive things about these forums. I got tired of sending out e-mails for trades and this was a good way to pass along my extras. If I get something I already have, it's still all good. I like to send something that I have made along with my coins, just a little added touch but not necessary. Join in the fun.

I have been wanting to participate in these "Secret" :rolleyes: exchanges too but like the OP and quite a few others have only been buying a few coins for our collection or to release. I have just decided to get a few extras now and then for this exact reason so will be keeping an eye out for "Secret" exchanges in the future :wub: I too feared the probibility of sending coins someone already had but then realised that is not really what these things are all about, it's just to have fun and brighten someones elses day :wub:

I'm sure that the person allocating the recipient would try and peer up those who don't have many coins so that the likely hood of a good exchange is increased ie newbies with newbies :wub:

Edited by Team chelmo

As others said. Participate!

I'm happy with any coins we get. If we already have it, it may end up as a traveller, a gift coin, a trade coin, or a future secret ???? coin.

I do check out the seeking lists for the person I receive. Though in both previous cases, they were people I had already made multi coin trades with previously, so I didn't have much they were still looking for.

And I would LOVE a LE CR2007, but I certainly wouldn't expect one.

Also, while I don't have many coins in my seeking list, I haven't been buying many coins recently, and just because it isn't on my list, doesn't mean I wouldn't like it. It is difficult to keep up with all the coins coming out all the time, so I don't really try :rolleyes:

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

I plan on taking part in this one (my first time), and I'd say just relax. At the last event I was at someone gave me 2 coins I already had as a gift. Well, it was a surprise and such a sweet gesture; those coins will either be staying in my collection or acticated and released for others to enjoy too. It wasn't the coin but the intention that makes it special. Remember, coin collecting is supposed to be fun! I don't know if I'll get anything on my seeking list since a lot are HTF coins, but the surprise of getting a package and not know what's in it is great!

Edited by islander1988

Greets, I have over 600 coins. And ever growing. I would be happy with whatever came my way, Its the thought that most certainly counts, In prior secret events I was astounded people had done homework, and sent coins I did not have That's a tough feat. :anibad: But I would except anything sent my way regardless if I already have the coin or not, as well I have no preference to trackable coins or non - trackable. It's about the giving, not having expectations of receiving. Cheers Glenn

EDIT: to say my last gifted coin in the secret Cupid was a Geocoin Addicts Anonymous, Think someone is trying to tell me something :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Its all good. Particapte indeed :ph34r:

Edited by glennk721

I have also participated in both of the last Secret Missions. I had researched both of my missions and if I didn't have what they wanted, I sent what I could. All of the coins I received I did not have and have appreciated recieving. It does not matter if it was on my list or not. I will appreciate all that is sent. As other people have said it is the thought that counts not what is recieved. I would not let any one talk you out of participating. If you feel so called than do so.

I just started out a few months ago. I joined the Secret Cupid Mission. The person I had did have a list of what they wanted so I went through thier TB/GeoCoin page and picked out stuff they didn't have on it. I really hope they enjoyed it. Never saw anything in the forums after I sent it.

I got coins that were on my list and a few that were not. I was very happy with all of them. Never really know what you are missing until you see the coin with your own eyes.

I also participated in both of the last missions. I tried very hard to get at least one coin from each of their seeking lists and I think I was successful. For me trading to get something that is wanted is part of the fun--part of the hunt if you will!! Join the fun for sure and you will find yourself watching for the mailman as it gets closer to St Paddy's Day LOL

I'm looking for opinions/advice.

I signed up for my first secret geocoin mission and then after looking through some of the seeking lists that posters have, I'm wondering if I didn't get in over my head here.

There is a piece of me that thinks; people should be happy with what they get, as it's suppose to be fun and no pressure, right?

Then I don't want my person to be secretly disappointed that I couldn't get them the XLE 2007 Compass Rose coin.............lol.

Some of us are just starting out in the geocoin world, so our trading ability is limited. I know where to buy coins (ebay, coin site sellers), I'm just concerned about not having access to many of the coins out there that many people want. I know, I should have thought about this before volunteering.

Anyhow, am I putting too much pressure on myself? Thoughts anyone?

Tsun :rolleyes:

Who cares what others think just have fun!!!

It is all about participating and having fun. I would treat a seeking list (and expect any one else to treat mine as) a guide only. It would be great if you could provide something that they were in deed seeking, but not essential to the mission.

Given timeframes it would be difficult for me down in NZ to hunt down and organise trades, get them delivered and they try and get then sent off again in the time frames of the missions. Not impossible, but time does become a factor.

I nearly got burnt by my Secret Cupid missions as I had quite a number of coins coming, that should have been in my hands well before required sending dates, but all of a sudden all deliveries coming from the US just went totally haywire. Instead of shipping in under a week, it stretched out to 3 weeks or longer! Hence I wasn't able to send all the coins I had intended and ended up substituting. Luckily it all worked out.

One other thing I will say, is that maybe a better guide is the keeping and trading lists - these give a feel for a persons tastes and what they have already.

Thats just my 2 cents worth :rolleyes: