geocaching Go Kit

Woletrap

What do you all use for a "go kit" and what do you keep in it?

Currently I use a plastic grocery bag :rolleyes: to carry my GPSr, its car kit, a cookie tin full of trade goodies, a pad of paper to remind myself what i took/left, and usually at least a few printed cache pages.

Obviously the grocery bag is woefully inadequate, but not sure what else to use.

What do you guys use, what works good/bad, etc etc?

thanks for sharing your geo-secrets!

I carry a 2 liter hydration pack on my back. Inside are extra notepads, ziplock bags, first aid supplies, extra batteries, and some energy bars. On my hydration pack I have clipped is my GPS and my FRS radio.

Around my waist I carry an bright orange canvas fanny pack which has all my geocaching trade items, coins, and TB's. Its a good size one used my medical emergency people. Thats why its bright orange.

I currently carry a large fanny pack with several pockets. In it I typically carry my GPSr, digital camera pens/pencils, some of my homemade “Cache notes”, several trade goodies, flashlight, batteries, and usually way more other items non-Geocache related that I should be carrying a backpack. With the condition of some of the caches I have found lately (need repairs) and the fact that I am starting to place my own now, I need to find a nice, small backpack with a few pockets.

Briansnat, I barely carry that much for a two day hike, no caching involved :rolleyes:

Nice setup though :wub:

There is already a thread for this topic .. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=147723

All I can say is .... geeze you guys carry a lot. I just take my GPSr, print outs, 2 or 3 trade items, pen, and transceiver.

edited for typo

All depends on the kinds of caches you prefer.

Briansnat, I barely carry that much for a two day hike, no caching involved

I never go into the woods unprepared to spend the night if necessary. You never know when you are going to get lost, break an ankle or get your foot stuck under a shifting boulder (happened to me once). I've never had to spend the night (had a few close calls though), but I'd rather have the stuff along and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Edited by briansnat

What do you all use for a "go kit" and what do you keep in it?

Currently I use a plastic grocery bag :rolleyes: to carry my GPSr, its car kit, a cookie tin full of trade goodies, a pad of paper to remind myself what i took/left, and usually at least a few printed cache pages.

Obviously the grocery bag is woefully inadequate, but not sure what else to use.

What do you guys use, what works good/bad, etc etc?

thanks for sharing your geo-secrets!

Might I suggest a bicycle messenger bag?

NA-MES.3.gif

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?categor...and%20Backpacks

Lots of nifty pockets for all the goodies. Rugged, can be used for other things as well. I also carry a camelbak for caches off the beaten path.

What do you all use for a "go kit" ...

I find a walking stick to help on uneven ground and hills and to probe into the unknown depths is my most valuable tool in addition to replacement logs, plastic bags, and the usual. A hook and mirror that can be attached to the stick also has made finding a cache possible.

I have a Field and Stream shoulder bag a bit bigger than a fanny pack and smaller than a backpack. In it I have: Small notebook, 2 pens, 4 maglights (for family night caching), cheap digital camera from Wallyworld, retractable magnetic pointer, swag, TB's that need to be placed in another cache, plastic bags for CITO, replacement baggies and a compass. I always have my Leatherman (best TOTT) and Dell Axim (for paperless caching) in my pocket.

I'm trying to find a happy medium in what I carry. It's really easy to go too far in one direction or the other.

Right now I'm using an old European army rucksack, and since I go in the woods quite a lot, I do carry safety gear. Knife, flashlight, first-aid kit, bug spray, space blanket; all that is non-negotiable. And water, too, of course; and a couple of energy bars.

I stopped carrying a lot of things I used to have, but that's no reflection on me -- my caching partner, NotThePainter, and I tend to bring compementary things. If we ever got separated, it would be a Bad Thing indeed.

I will say that I tried over-the-shoulder messenger bags and it just felt uncomfortable. The backpack-rucksack model works much better for me. That way I can put it on and then forget about it.

NotThePainter has found that the packs with hydration units in them work well for him (and I have to say that often I find it easier to drink from his pack than to haul out my own water bottle!), and that's something I'd recommend to anybody. Camelbak makes some nice ones. They're really small for cycling, but there are larger ones that can carry quite a lot. His is from Backcountry.com -- they have great products and in addition are an ongoing sponsor of our Bread & Roses geoevents in Manchester. Check them out, please!

Jeannette

www.jeannettecezanne.com

Edited by angevine

usually i carry one of thoes bags that goes over one sholder in it i cary a multitool, pen/pencil, note book, flash light (for thoes caches in dark places), some granonla bars, a water bottle, first aid kit, gloves (again for thoes caches dark places), a camera, and trade items.

Edited by Last_Warrior

great ideas - thanks!

i use my camelbak/backpack for hiking caches, but the plastic bag for urban caching (mostly to and from the car, and it stays in the car during the hunt)

i like the idea of a lightweight messenger bag for urban caching - that way i can bring a better selection of goodies to each cache instead of bringing caches back to my truck for goodie-swapping.

definitely when i am going any real distance from the truck i take the camelbak, stuffed with first aid kit, flashlight, knife, pads, pens, cellphone, ham radio, goodies, cliff bars, hat, jacket, etc etc

but a "urban" messenger bag. hmmm. gotta go shopping now.

:rolleyes:

speaking of shopping - this weekend i'm going to arizona to the gun show in phoenix and the swap meet in quartzite, hope to find some cheap ammo cans or other cache ideas. see y'all there (or along the way caching)?

:rolleyes:

Thanks!

My 'kit' is usually pretty small. I keep in the car, a small-ish lock-n-lock, with some ziplocs, my GPSr, spare batteries, a pen a couple flyers about geocaching, and any trackables that I am currently moving about. I also have a TB that isn't activated, in case I find the 'perfect' item to tag.

Since nearly all of the caches I do are less than 1/2 mile from my car, I don't see the need to have a kit that I take into the field. I've got pockets for the stuff that I'm taking out to the cache.

I also make sure I've got my mobile phone, and my PDA to manage my cache list.

I have just started making this kit out of an old Dewalt cordless drill box and some foam i got cheap from an upholstery shop. You have to use a Dremel or something to cut out all the extra plastic in the box, and a nice serrated knife or a band saw to cut the foam. But it is mostly moisture proof and pretty shock proof.

When I hit the trail I just stuff anything I want in my “always ready daypack”

IMGP3163.JPG

I use a fishing vest, put my Camel Bak in the back pocket keeps me cool. All kinds of room for things.

Plus it distributes the weight.

Hang my Pocket Pc in it's Otter Case from it and My Garmin Vista around neck. Grab my hiking staff with the

pepper spray fasten to it. I have run into feral dogs a couple of times. I would rather spray them, than hit them on the head.

Indy.jpg

I wonder why the kids call me "Indy" ?

I should take a picture of mine.

MountainFrog made me a custom satchel that is the exact shape of the blister compartment in the back of my Xterra. It's wicked cool for anything up to a 2 mile hike.

I have a $15 Eastsport pack I bought at Wally world that does the trick for longer day hikes of 10+ miles.

I have a 20+ year old suade Jansport pack that serves to consolidate travelers so I don't lose any more. Yeah I've lost a few. Gotta keep 'em all together to keep from losing them. I usually clean out my TB hotels to rotate/launder/help along TBs that have been sitting and trade them out at events.

It depends on what type / location caches I'm after. Urban caches, I leave most stuff in the car and go only with what's in my hand or pockets. In the woods I use a day pack with snacks, cache repair stuff, water, extra clothing (socks, jacket) as might be needed for the time of year, swag, minor first aid, etc. I've usually got trade items stored in my car to pull from before heading out. They'll be in a plastic bag or an ammo can in the car. I did a lengthy hike yesterday so I took a larger daypack with mostly stuff I might need to eat, drink, keep warm, stay dry, etc. in case the unthinkable happened and I got stuck.

Hmmm, maybe I could use a micro cache as a message container to hang on my dog's collar so I could send him for help if I have an accident in the woods. ;)

This is us two on the Isles of Scilly last summer - couple of changes since then. Now got a hydration pack for the rucksack and replaced the Palm with a Mio P550 - but everything else is the same. I usually carry most of it, don't know why! The rucksack is a Targus laptop backpack - lots of nice pockets inside for things!

I did like the picture further up the post showing a pistol sticking out of the caching bag...... not an essential item for the British geocacher!! Although there are tentative plans to re-introduce wolves to parts of Scotland which would be about the most dangerous thing we'd be likely to meet whilst out!

Chris - one half of The Blorenges

caching.jpg

Edited by The Blorenges
I did like the picture further up the post showing a pistol sticking out of the caching bag...... not an essential item for the British geocacher!! Although there are tentative plans to re-introduce wolves to parts of Scotland which would be about the most dangerous thing we'd be likely to meet whilst out!

I've actually got a bag similar to that one, but instead prefer to carry the pistol directly on my person.

A) if I'm digging around in the bag it decreases the chances of someone making the fact I'm armed

;) if an armed assailant wants the bag, it decreases the chances of me having to actually shoot them

But, the bag makes a good quick cache bag, and I used it on my first caches. The pocket designed for the pistol is perfect sized for a GPS

I also have been looking for a better type tote bag. I've been using a fanny pack for shorter treks, but I have to keep moving it about my waist to keep comfortable. For urban caches I've got a small canvas GPS pouch that attaches to my belt and holds my camera, couple batteries and TB’s. I like some of the backpacks and am trying to find one for day hikes that has a padded waist belt and good outer pockets. Although, on my last couple day long hikes I’ve taken my dog along and have thought of getting a doggy backpack and let him earn his way carrying some of the stuff!

I also like using a fishing vest. My pockets are loaded with the usual plastic bags, swag, pens, cell phone, etc. The Girl Scout in me is always "prepared", so I also have a first aid kit, mirror, Swiss Army knife, granola bar, water, & a few sheets of t.p.!!! Since my caching is in the desert, I like that the vest is large enough so that I'm not uncomfortable in the heat. Also, everything is organized and within easy reach!

I have a large camo backpack with multiple pockets. 2 side pockets for water, a small front zip pocket to carry my personal geocoins with me in case I run into another cacher who would like to "discover" them. Then there is a large outside pouch that holds my GPSr, walkie talkies, compass, pens, etc. The large inside compartment holds a zip bag of snack items, zip bag of cache repair kit stuff for when a cache I find needs maintenance, zip bag of trade items, zip bag of travel bugs & coins and a zip back of emergency items such as snake-bite kit, tic remover, bandages and the sort. It is somewhat on the heavy side but that is okay.....makes for good exercise!