Garmin 60Cx Base Maps for Europe

So I have a Garmin 60 Cx that I have the City Navigator maps for the US on. My question is I am planning to visit my sister in Switzerland this summer, and while I probably don't need street level mapping which would entail buying the europe version of City Navigator, will I have any basemaps of Europe on my screen since it was set up as a "USA" machine?

So I have a Garmin 60 Cx that I have the City Navigator maps for the US on. My question is I am planning to visit my sister in Switzerland this summer, and while I probably don't need street level mapping which would entail buying the europe version of City Navigator, will I have any basemaps of Europe on my screen since it was set up as a "USA" machine?

If its a Americas base map unit .. there will be NO European detail passed the "country outlines"

However why not just look :rolleyes: Go to map page zoom out to 500 miles scale.. then use the cursor to wander over to Europe in the approx area of Switzerland and then start zooming in and moving around until you get to the area you want to look at..

My North Atlantic 76CSX has not a single road, city, feature in the USA on it

Cheapest solution may be Garmin Worldmap ... 120 USD which also has a 30 USD rebate so 90USD on Garmins webs site

As Always look at the Garmin Map Viewer for what detail is available

"Political boundaries, cities, towns, major motorways and/or interstates, and principal highways; lakes, major streams, and rivers; and urban areas and railroads"

I think this link will work for the World map

http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/webma...mp;k=1&sc=1

Edited by S&G.Davison

This basemap will just be useful to determine in which country you are in and not even with accuracy !

You maythink you are in CH while you are in Germany !

Get Metroguide EU and for routing have a look a http://www.geodude.nl/gps/

The price diff between Metroguide EU and Navigator EU is simply horrendous ! For EU Nav you can almost buy a MIO car GPS with EU maps !

I have the US 60CX and am in EU. Anyway basemaps are close to useless, a waste of GPS memory.

Go to http://www.garmin.com/software/iQue3600Wor...Basemap_301.exe

This is the world base map installer for the Palm iQues. Run the program and look for the IMG file that is saved. This can then be uploaded as a detailed map with Sendmap.

{nodding} I was going to suggest that, although I have not tried it yet. {downloading inthe background}

To the OP: note that Red uses "detailed map" terminology which is Garmin for "a map you can upload". It does not imply that the map will be detailed in the normal sense (as in CN, MG, etc). It will be basemap-level detail; ie, better than nothing.

I was going to suggest that, although I have not tried it yet. {downloading inthe background}

Ok, I tried it.

I snagged the file and and extracted the GMAPBMAP.IMG therein. Copied that do the microSD (\Garmin\gmapsupp.img) and eyeballed Paris, some places in Morocco, etc. Cool.

My next experiement would be to combine with my current .img using sendmap20.