Commercial use of geocaching

Greyt Dog

Recently a geocache was listed near my home called-Off your Rocker. It is a 6 inch key container under the newspaper rack in front of a very busy restaurant. How long will it be before someone waiting in the chairs in front of the place sees someone return the cache and leave and call the bomb squad and police and give all of us a bad name. Homeland security tells all of us to be on the lookout for such behavior. When I complained I was informed that this chain has MANY of these. It is obvious they are using it to get people to their place of business. How long before every fast food, drug store, convience store etc is doing this. I think this needs to be stopped and soon. There are plenty of places to put a cache away from large numbers of people and business.

Not really commercial as you don't have to go in and buy anything or spend any money. They are clearly outside. I have done 2 such caches and spent nothing.

As for terror/muggle problems. No worse then hundreds of other caches placed in public view. Be stealthy.

...oh and BTW - I agree that there are better places for a cache but that doesn't make these against any of the guidelines.

(edit for poor spellin')

Edited by StarBrand

Why, yes I do think there should be commecial geocaches. Any business would creat a cache to be placed by them and it would be listed as a commercial cache.

They would be required to keep it stocked with cache tokens (just like game tokens but with the biz name) that you can collect for having found the cache.

Some people would enjoy that angle of the game and try to collect all the cache tokens they could get.

The cache you speak of doesn't appear to be a problem.

I don't think I've ever seen one of this series hidden by anyone affiliated with the restaurant chain, or that requires going inside or making a purchase, so it wouldn't be considered a commercial cache by the guidelines of gc.com. That being said, I personally don't care to eat at the establishment in question, and I don't search for the "off your rocker" caches since the extreme stealth aspect doesn't appeal to me and there's certainly nothing inspiring about the location (why is it that these places are always so busy, anyway?).

The place you mention doesn't place the caches there, real live cachers do. In fact a well known and lovely cacher near your part of the coast placed and named the first one. Many of us enjoy these caches and have a laugh about them from time to time, no harm done. There are caches at two of my local Walgreens, at least one was placed with permission of management. There are many, many caches in very public places including many newspaper boxes. Relax and enjoy the game.

I found one of these recently, and it had the following note in the description:

This, and all caches at these locations, have been pre-approved at the corporate level. Corporate Contact: Nick Simulia CB Corporate Headquarters Lebanon, TN 800-333-9566, option 3, ext. 2504

If that's true, then it sounds like "adequate permission" has been given.

-eP

Edited by ePeterso2

This is the one official rule which I'm really in disagreement with. Having to get "special permission" to have a commercial cache. I think if it were allowed more freely that the cache security from mugglers and the quality of their original contents would go up considerably as the company sponsor would be more likely to want it to be a good reflection on them. Maybe they could put in free samples or coupons to entice you to come inside. I have no problem with that as long as there is plenty of room for others to trade stuff. If you're not interested in what they're offering, you leave them in there and just trade with the other cachers. I also agree that there should never be a need to purchase anything or for that matter even have to have contact with a live person any more so than with a real cache, and that it should be available even during non-business hours. If some business owner starts to go overboard and do things cachers don't feel is appropriate it will quickly come out in the online log comments and will discourage others from going thus becoming self-regulating of sorts. Yes business owners would do it to get you to come to their store or it's vacinity but since they will also be well aware of it and watching over it the benefit is you can be pretty sure it will be there, secure and full of free goodies from the store or sponsor as well as traded stuff, but you would be just as willing to go to an empty field for a damp or missing cache, and you just might find something there you like after all. They may have to reduce the distance between cache rule for them since maybe two stores side by side will want to sponsor one. I also agree they should probably be clearly indicated in some way, or have their own division or indicator, or maybe even charged a minor fee for inclusion, but gosh, why make it so freakin difficult?

I found one of these recently, and it had the following note in the description:

This, and all caches at these locations, have been pre-approved at the corporate level. Corporate Contact: Nick Simulia CB Corporate Headquarters Lebanon, TN 800-333-9566, option 3, ext. 2504

If that's true, then it sounds like "adequate permission" has been given.

-eP

Yep, what the quote says! And Kudos to Cracker Barrel for allowing us this great series, I have found many of them in numerous states!

If you don't like them, don't hunt them, but don't come here and try to get them killed!

Hiding a cache in a commercial location isn't a problem, and in this case with the explicit permission of the corporate HQ it is even welcome. What is a problem, or at least against the commercial guideline is using a cache listing to recommend the commercial establishment. None of the OYR cache listings I have seen (including my own) do this. I do like eating breakfast there, but have been disappointed with other meals too often to bother returning if I have any say in the destination.

But I like finding these caches, and I love reading the logs on the one I own.

Of course, as is often the case with my hides, it isn't your normal OYR hide, and the container has been suitably modified to fit the location. :rolleyes:

our local Cracker Barrel has a cache as well...GCN9GE...has been there almost 2 years and one that I will never forget. We didn't have a GPS at the time and a fellow cacher asked us if we were "looking for something" wink wink....That is probably the best part of caching, running into other fellow cachers

Well, since I'm not a forum hound, I only found out about this thread because a fellow cacher emailed me the link.

I guess I'm responsible for this epidemic, although I never even thought it would have such a life of its own when I placed the first one. For anyone interested, here's a little history about them:

When I first began caching in April of '03, I was also traveling back and forth to GA and NC at least once a month for the following 4 months. In order to break up the monotony of the drive, I always looked up caches that were close to interstate exits (a mile or less) that I could look for on my journeys. Now this was WAY before the "find caches along a route" feature that is available, and it took quite a while to look up (via the gc map) potential caches. As a single female, traveling alone (or with my dogs), it was important that the caches be in a fairly safe place, since no one would know of my whereabouts if I stopped. Back then, there weren't anywhere near the # of caches or cachers, so the pickings were fairly slim.

I decided to place the first Off Your Rocker in my hometown of Titusville to give other travelers a safe, quick, and clean place to stop to grab a cache. It was NEVER meant to be a "commercial" cache, but one that even single women, or folks traveling with children would feel safe stopping and looking for. Personally, I have always enjoyed the meals that I've had at these establishments, but I have stopped at many of them while traveling without making any purchase, just to use the restroom because they are generally nicer and cleaner than most fast food restaurants at interstate exits. They also usually have a place where I can walk my dogs without worrying about someone who is up to no good.

Of the dozen or so OYR caches that I have placed, I have never used a newspaper machine to hide the cache. Because of the nature of the business, I have always found a place on one of the antiques displayed on the porch area (and they are either bolted to the sidewalk or to the wall) to hide my cache.

Not too long after I had started putting these out on the east coast of FL, I had several cachers email me and ask if they could use the cache name and put one out at one of the establishments close to them. I thought it was funny that they asked me for permission (as if I held franchise rights to the name) but was more than happy to give my blessings if they felt they needed them.

For the record, these are NOT my favorite type of caches, as I enjoy a long hike in the woods, nor do I consider them a legacy by any means, but they are definitely (IMHO) a LOT more interesting than a lightpole cache in a parking lot of a chain store. Neither of these type of caches require anyone to spend anything while finding the cache, but I have to say that the majority of logs on my OYR caches are favorable. The nice thing about geocaching is that there are many types of caches for many types of cachers, and no one ever has a gun held to their head to force them to look for one that they don't want to.

Just thought folks might like a little insight as to the placements of the original OYR's from the unknowing instigator of this series.

overrover

Well-it looks like I am outnumbered. I still think its a bad idea. I try to make my hides include a nice healthy walk in an overlooked nice area and as much as possible free of muggles although that is sometimes a tall order if the place is nice. I use as many large ammo boxes as possible to allow trade items and travel bugs and most important-kid items. There are too few things for adults and children to do together that involve the outdoors and teamwork. Go eat breakfast guys-ill be elsewhere.

I've only found one of this kind, and it was tough due to the high visibility, but still kinda fun because we had to sit and play checkers outside while waiting to grab the micro. In the end, my mom completely whooped me at checkers, so that part wasn't too cool ;)

PS.... I get the chicken salad sandwich with a cup of vegetable soup.

Always good.

As long as they do not require a purchase or hassle cachers who do not come in and buy something, I say no problem. A national restaurant like Cracker Barrel could easily become a 'legend' in the cache world and a novelty for those of us who enjoy cache hunting and cracker barrel food. Could be an excellent way to get my wife involved in caching.

Just thought folks might like a little insight as to the placements of the original OYR's from the unknowing instigator of this series.

overrover

We had been wondering about the history of OYR caches and decided to search the forum posts for any information. Thanks for sharing this information. We have a few in the St. Louis area, and they're a nice break from the ticks and poison ivy.

Well-it looks like I am outnumbered. I still think its a bad idea. I try to make my hides include a nice healthy walk in an overlooked nice area and as much as possible free of muggles although that is sometimes a tall order if the place is nice. I use as many large ammo boxes as possible to allow trade items and travel bugs and most important-kid items. There are too few things for adults and children to do together that involve the outdoors and teamwork. Go eat breakfast guys-ill be elsewhere.

Oh, you're outnumbered allright, especially with the "commercial" viewpoint. :) There is in fact blanket permission for OYR's from Cracker Barrel. Such hides that put you in view of muggles in front of a place of business or parking lot are not going away anytime soon. I've even heard repeatedly that "some people like them". ;) I'm not one of those people either, so just ignore such hides, as many of us do.

Oh, you're outnumbered allright, especially with the "commercial" viewpoint. :) There is in fact blanket permission for OYR's from Cracker Barrel. Such hides that put you in view of muggles in front of a place of business or parking lot are not going away anytime soon. I've even heard repeatedly that "some people like them". ;) I'm not one of those people either, so just ignore such hides, as many of us do.

Something tells me that the OP is not going to notice your post.

Technically, we have the same issue with Wal-Marts and their parking lots. I don't believe anyone has obtained "corporate permission", and I'm willing to bet from the number I've seen archived that many people don't seem to obtain "local permission" before placing (tsk-tsk). However, there is no corporate intent with any I have seen either. All are simply "Big Parking Lot, LPC type cache", unless someone gets more creative.

They don't interest me so I don't do them. At least the name is a warning, so they are easily avoided. If I see it's an Off Your Rocker I hit the delete button.

They don't interest me so I don't do them. At least the name is a warning, so they are easily avoided. If I see it's an Off Your Rocker I hit the delete button.

I am very curious as to why. Simply the location?

I do understand that many people place mindless caches. What if someone devised a clever hide at one of theses CB caches?

I'm a fan of the OYR series because you never know *exactly* where the cache will be, just that it's at "that restaurant." Sometimes they're on the porch, you've got yourself a stealth hunt, and it's fun to guess which of several common places will be hiding the cache. Last week during a rain shower when hiking caches would've been no fun, my friend and I nailed the precise location just from reading the cache page, ran through the rain, and found the cache in the first spot checked. There were a dozen muggles taking shelter on the covered porch, and they were none the wiser. That's a rush... clearly a different sort of rush than rounding a bend in the trail and seeing a panoramic view of the valley below, but a rush nevertheless. There's room for both kinds of fun.

Still, my all-time favorite is this three-star terrain cache on a cliff behind a Cracker Barrel. That's my car at the extreme left hand side, halfway down. You never know what you'll find until you get there.

8477f1c9-68a3-4f06-b957-ba22d8eb0207.jpg

I have no problems with commercial caches. I have a choice as to whether or not to do them.

I would rather look for a cache placed on a property with the full permission of the owner, than go after caches on commercial properties that I know are there without the owner's permission (which is the case about 90% of the time).

I have no problems with commercial caches. I have a choice as to whether or not to do them.

I would rather look for a cache placed on a property with the full permission of the owner, than go after caches on commercial properties that I know are there without the owner's permission (which is the case about 90% of the time).

I totally agree. I have no problem w/ a cache that tells you to shop at "Sam's Meat Shop". TFTC and maybe i will?! I like it when cachers get the community involved.

Like you said- i would rather hunt a commercial cache placed with the owners/companies permission than a non-commercial cache placed without anyones permission.

Why are they prohibited?

I am very curious as to why. Simply the location?

I do understand that many people place mindless caches. What if someone devised a clever hide at one of theses CB caches?

That's a good point Knight2000. Since one of my major issues with "commercial caches" is that almost all of them are on private property without permission while the reviewers look the other way, I'd definately do a clever OYR. And you would miss this by just ignoring anything with OYR in the title. As a matter of fact, I tried one: Head of the Hydra #3 (Way Off Your Rocker) Despite strong evidence it was found by The Moon Pie cacher, it was unfortunately archived. :laughing:

I feel the same way about LPC's. I certainly don't go looking for them intentionally but if we find them nearby the kids like em. (Just not too many in a row.)

The thing is of the LPC's we have found they are all the same. I wish someone would use a little imagination when placing them.

As a matter of fact, I tried one: Head of the Hydra #3 (Way Off Your Rocker) Despite strong evidence it was found by The Moon Pie cacher, it was unfortunately archived. :o

That log reads more like a chat session. I dont understand it. I guess i need to search moon pies. :blink::laughing:

Why was it archived?

An excellent question. But only TPTB could answer that B) .

Regarding your previous post, my son (7 yr's. old) despises LPC's. He's only in it for the swag. Couldn't care less about any micro, even one in a great location. Unless maybe it was overlooking the Grand Canyon or something. :blink: