Pronunciation of the Abbreviation?

TeamHarrison

Hilarious! Thank you for the link to the past.

And notice the 2nd poster to that thread, after the OP, goes with Sea-I-tee-oh. (which I too, always did). How could he possibly be wrong? :anibad:

But in reality, the most common one I've heard (in my neck of the woods, at least) is Sigh-toe. I dunno, best thing to do is just say Cache in trash out?? :D

I thought it was either:

"Kie-Toe"

"Sea-I-Tea-Oh"

"Need to Pick Up Trash!!!"

The term "Cache" uses a 'hard C' that sounds like a 'K' instead of an 'S'. So I always figured it carried over to the Cache In, Trash Out... Phonetically, that'd be like: "Ka-sh Inn, Tra-sh Owt". So from that, it would make sence that the acronym of the phrase should carry on that convention.

Making my final answer be "Kie-Toe".

If the 'C' in Cache were prounounced with an 'S' sound instead of a 'K', then I could see the See, Sigh, Sit thing; however, it's not so I don't really think it's right. Which apparently puts me in a rather unpopular point of view, but that's ok... you can be wrong. :laughing::ph34r:

Edited by Double Agents

OK, I've heard a few different pronunciations of the abbreviation, CITO. I'm wondering if there is an "official" or generally accepted "correct" pronunciation?

Is it?

A. Sea - toe.

B. Sit - toe.

C. Sigh-toe.

D. Sea - two.

E. Sit - two.

F. Sigh - two.

G. "Pick up trash thingy".

Thanks for the input.

:laughing:

Uh oh. Mentally I pronounce it "See Eye Toe". Outloud I say, "Trash Out" or sometimes "Cache In, Trash Out".

Neither of those are on your list....

At first I thought the "k" sounding of the "C" in CITO might be right. But going to the dictionary, words starting "ci-" are pronounced soft, "sea". Examples are citizen and citation. The "i" is pronounced as a short "i". Examples are as noted and the gasoline company Citgo. The "T" has only one sound. The "o" must be long sounded as in "logo", or "shinto". So by gramatical rules, CITO is pronounced "Sit-O".

But common convention rules over gramatical rules! I would conclude THE way to pronounce CITO is "Sight-O", like, "The sight o' that trash makes me want to clean it up!".

At first I thought the "k" sounding of the "C" in CITO might be right. But going to the dictionary, words starting "ci-" are pronounced soft, "sea". Examples are citizen and citation. The "i" is pronounced as a short "i". Examples are as noted and the gasoline company Citgo. The "T" has only one sound. The "o" must be long sounded as in "logo", or "shinto". So by gramatical rules, CITO is pronounced "Sit-O".

But common convention rules over gramatical rules! I would conclude THE way to pronounce CITO is "Sight-O", like, "The sight o' that trash makes me want to clean it up!".

I say C. sigh-toe.

Btw, I love this about the internet. I've aways pronounced it sigh-toe and never imagined it was pronounced any other way. then this thread reminds me that I've never heard anyone else other than me pronounce it so its suprising to see that other people pronounce it different ways.

CITO pronounced correctly: "SEE-toe"

First, the two-syllable pronunciation is analogous to the two-syllable pronunciation of "NATO"

Second, the leading C is pronounced the same way it is in many CI- words (CITY, CIDER, CINGULAR)

Finally, the "I" could have several pronunciations. You could have a short "I" sound, like the CI in CITY (sih-toe). You could have a long "I", like the CI in CIDER (sie-toe). You could also have a long-E-like sound, like the sounds used in Spanish or Japanese (?), which would give the see-toe pronunciation.

The short "I" form yields a pronunciation that doesn't quite roll off your tongue (not to mention, it sounds rather close to "sicko"). The long "I" form turns it into a harsh-sounding pair of two accented syllables. The long-E-like form, on the other hand, yields a pronunciation that is very similar to "GEO" both in rhythm (SEE-toe, JEE-oh) and vowel sound (long E, long O; long E, long O). This makes "CITO" a drop-in replacement for "GEO".

Anyway, the CITO (SEE-toe)/GEO parallel means that you can very simply and pleasantly replace the GEO prefix on all kinds of common terms. If you're going to a Cache In Trash Out event, you're going to a citocache (SEE-toe-cache). If you're going off to cache with the intention of cleaning up the area, you're citocaching (SEE-toe-caching). It "Just Fits"

Oh, incidentally, I asked Agent's text-to-speech function... "/msg ClayJar C-I-T-O is pronounced CITO"... and the winner is:
"SEE-toe"

-ClayJar,
Aug 14 2003

C - /s/ is fricative (lingua-alveolar) and the tongue is forward and teeth together in the mouth to create the ssss sound.

I - /i/ is a mopthong and the tongue is still forward and the teeth are still close together, but not closed as in the /s/

T - /t/ is a stop (lingua- alveolar) where the tongue touches the area just behind the back of the teeth. (many will make the /d/ sound because the sounds are almost exact in nature, anatomically speaking, the /d/ is just a voiced version of /t/)

O - /o/ thus the o is a long monopthong where the tongue is returning to a resting position

-
TrailBound
, Aug 31 2006

000201DD.gif