etrex legend

VFR1952

How old is your legend? I have a I suppose it must be 4-5 year old legend that I've had for awhile as I just use it on the mountain bike. I just replaced it with a venture cx unit recently and the reception is noticeable better. There are places now that I can get a signal with the venture that I could not with my older legend. Side by side testing has confirmed the newer venture cx seems to have better reception than my older legend. I had an older 76s which was a good unit but the reception was not much better than my legend, though the newer units may have better hardware in them as well.

On that note though if you want the best reception save up for one of the units that use the sirf III chip. It's reception blows away any of the etrex units even my venture cx. Also keep in mind that the garmin 72 is not a mapping unit where your legend is a mapping unit. So if you used the mapping functions of your legend that may be a consideration. If you wanted some mapping features the 76 model would be more comparable.

How old is your legend? I have a I suppose it must be 4-5 year old legend that I've had for awhile as I just use it on the mountain bike. I just replaced it with a venture cx unit recently and the reception is noticeable better. There are places now that I can get a signal with the venture that I could not with my older legend. Side by side testing has confirmed the newer venture cx seems to have better reception than my older legend. I had an older 76s which was a good unit but the reception was not much better than my legend, though the newer units may have better hardware in them as well.

On that note though if you want the best reception save up for one of the units that use the sirf III chip. It's reception blows away any of the etrex units even my venture cx. Also keep in mind that the garmin 72 is not a mapping unit where your legend is a mapping unit. So if you used the mapping functions of your legend that may be a consideration. If you wanted some mapping features the 76 model would be more comparable.

Thanks I think i will probably go for the venture cx. The csx sounds great.But a little expensive.The Legend i have is only 2 weeks old. Its a great gps just hates trees.

If you do go for the venture cx, since your legend is much much newer than mine they might get the same reception. If possible it might be best to get the venture, compare them in the field then return the legend if it doesn't get as good of reception.

Take care

Todd

No, it will get better reception. The Legend (black and white version) has never had the hardware changed. It is still the same exact thing sold now as 5 years ago.

Well, thanks for the advice. I have ordered a venture cx. today. Also got a palm pda off ebay for £22. So will start paperless Geocaching. What's the bast way to do this any advice would be great. Thanks