Garmin Legend C Question

rhondavid

About a year ago I was thinking of investing in a Garmin Legend C for our boy scout trips and some Geocaching. Got involved with other things and just now getting back to looking for a good price on the Legend C. I have learned that this model has been discounted, but here are still new units for sale on Ebay and other websites.

Anyone know why Garmin discountinued this model? Anyone have this model and can provide feedback on how good or bad it is. From the reviews I read last year it appeared to be a good unit at a reasonable price.

Trying to keep the cost as low as possible for a good quality unit with color screen, decent memory for downloading maps etc. Any suggestions for alternative model would be appreciated. Unfortunately I have a limited budget and need to stay under $200, $150 is preferrable.

I've got one and like it a lot. Light weight, color is really nice. No problems with it at all. Battery life on it is excellent. Better than my other 3 GPS by far for battery life. I wish they were all as good. USB connector makes it easy to download from pc to gps for geocache hunting. I like my Meridians Gold and Color also, yet the dropped them from the line also... Who knows why they do it other than to sell the next generation of units.

Good hunting.........SwampYankee

About a year ago I was thinking of investing in a Garmin Legend C for our boy scout trips and some Geocaching. Got involved with other things and just now getting back to looking for a good price on the Legend C. I have learned that this model has been discounted, but here are still new units for sale on Ebay and other websites.

Anyone know why Garmin discountinued this model? Anyone have this model and can provide feedback on how good or bad it is. From the reviews I read last year it appeared to be a good unit at a reasonable price.

Trying to keep the cost as low as possible for a good quality unit with color screen, decent memory for downloading maps etc. Any suggestions for alternative model would be appreciated. Unfortunately I have a limited budget and need to stay under $200, $150 is preferrable.

I had a Legend C until I rolled my ATV on it. It still worked but it was busted up. When I went to replace it what I found out was that they quit making the Legend C because they upgraded the Legend C to include a 64 MB microSD memory card, rather than built-in memory. This allows the use of additional cards to greatly expand the geographic coverage of uploaded maps. So they decided to just produce the Legend Cx.

The Legend C is a fine unit. As indicated, Garmin discontinued it only because they released a model (the Cx) with expandable memory. You should be able to find a Legend C for $150.

If you want expandable memory, you could upgrade to the Cx and still stay around $200. Or better yet buy the Garmin Venture Cx (It is just a yellow Legend that ships without the mincro SD card and the data cable). Then buy a bigger micro SD card for $20 bucks, and use the cable from your digital camera or PDA (standard mini-B USB) to connect the Venture to your PC. The Venture plus the card is still under $200 (try Amazon or Froogle to find the best price).

Edited by Sputnik 57