Battery and Ram Mount questions

Am trying to cover two things with one topic. Hope that is OK

Batteries

Have searched and done a lot of good reading. I have a 60 csx and am using NiMH 2400 Mah Duracell rechargeables that I have for a camera. They work fine. But I do need to get more batteries. Have read nice things about the Sanyo 2700's and have also read that Sanyo private labels them and they are the same as the Duracell 2650.

1. Is that true ?

2. How much will battery longevity increase going from a 2400 MaH to the 2700 or even the new 2900 that I have seen on the web somewhere? My compass is usually off unless I am walking towards a cache. Backlight usage is infrequent.

Ram Mounts

For the 60 csx is there any advantage using the aluminum rather than the plastic mounts? Their plastic mounts look durable. Is the aluminum that much heavier? Boy but that suction cup windshield mount is big. 3 1/2 inches. Is there a smaller one that I haven't seen or does that 3 1/2 not look as big on the windshield as I would think? The screen magnifier seems practical but does it really work well or is it Snake Oil?

Lastly, I keep finding webs site that are selling the mouints piecemeal. Are there some good sites around that sell the mount for the 60 csx as a complete kit?

Thanks everyone.

Am trying to cover two things with one topic. Hope that is OK

Batteries

Have searched and done a lot of good reading. I have a 60 csx and am using NiMH 2400 Mah Duracell rechargeables that I have for a camera. They work fine. But I do need to get more batteries. Have read nice things about the Sanyo 2700's and have also read that Sanyo private labels them and they are the same as the Duracell 2650.

1. Is that true ?

2. How much will battery longevity increase going from a 2400 MaH to the 2700 or even the new 2900 that I have seen on the web somewhere? My compass is usually off unless I am walking towards a cache. Backlight usage is infrequent.

Ram Mounts

For the 60 csx is there any advantage using the aluminum rather than the plastic mounts? Their plastic mounts look durable. Is the aluminum that much heavier? Boy but that suction cup windshield mount is big. 3 1/2 inches. Is there a smaller one that I haven't seen or does that 3 1/2 not look as big on the windshield as I would think? The screen magnifier seems practical but does it really work well or is it Snake Oil?

Lastly, I keep finding webs site that are selling the mouints piecemeal. Are there some good sites around that sell the mount for the 60 csx as a complete kit?

Thanks everyone.

First, realize that the aluminum part is the arm and the ball. The suction cup is rubber, the locking "switch" on the suction cup is plastic and the cradle that it sits in is plastic.

You can not go wrong with a RAM mount. I have one two for my 60CS, one for the motorcycle and bike and the other for my vehicle as well as a vehicle mount for my laptop. The old suction cup (without the locking mechanism) was susceptible to sun damage over time, however all RAM products come with a lifetime warranty. Any suction cup will have an issue in prolonged sunlight/heat from time to time but the lock makes it rarer. The bigger suction cup is necessary for that kind of heat. The "little" ones on similar products just don't do the trick. I have mine mounted in a truck that sees light off roading and have not had a problem.

I don't think the aluminum parts would add enough weight to be a consideration, however they will be more weight. The weak point in the RAM system is the little arm with the hole in it that holds the GPS in. Until you have taken it in and out a few dozen times and learn how to finesse it, it can be frustrating. As a result, impatience can cause you to bend the arm too much and break it at what is obviously the weakest point. Again, this is covered by the lifetime warranty. Just take a picture, email in the pic of the damaged part and they send you a new one. I wouldn't bother with the screen magnifier, it is useless in a vehicle since you have to be at the right angle. I use cycoactive or expressmounts for my purchases. The later is real quick on delivery.

As to the batteries, I do notice a significant longer period with my 2500 then I did with the smaller, however keep in mind that rechargeable drop off at a much quicker rate. While Alkalines will lose voltage gradually, rechargeables give very little or no warning they are about to become useless. I keep my unit plugged into the cigarette lighter when it is in the car. It does not recharge them but it keeps them from running down by using external power.

Hope this has helped.

Edited by baloo&bd

The new hybrid Ray-O-Vacs and Sanyo Eneloops are great as they hold their charge when not being used. They may not be as high a MAhr rating but work much better for longevity over time. If you were playing a radio continuously, the batteries with the highest MAhr rating would last the longest. If you were playing the radio for an hour each day, the hybrids would last much longer even though they have a lower MAhr rating. The hybrids make much better carry spares! :rolleyes: ImpalaBob

Are the hybrids available at any of the big box stores?

Have seen both the Ray O Vacs and Eneloops at Circuit City. I will most likely buy one or the other of those for carry spares. I still haven't decided on the higher Mah batteries yet. Does anyone know if those Duracell 2650's are the same as the Sanyo 2700 ?

Thanks for the Ram Mount comments. Puts it in perspective.