A lot of stolen/burried TB's in Pennsylvania

Jeda

Hi,

today I got two automated messages from Geocaching that a cacher with name tbclean (member since yesterday - his profile is basically empty!?) grabbed our TB and placed it in the cache Nordic Countries Travelbug Graveyard. After that he deleted his logs.

I sent an email to him but he doesn't reply. So I decided to poste a note on the graveyard cache page – hope there is someone with the same problem. One another cacher sent an email to me and told the same process.

Our TB’s last cache was Bridges Over Troubled Water in Pennsylvania. Now I found out that the same happened to many TB's (last cache in Pennsylvania, now in the cache Nordic Countries Travelbug Graveyard without a log) and sent emails to several TB owners. It seems there is a unknown TB-napper on work collecting TB’s.

Jeda from Germany

Your tb is probably safe in the cache where it was last placed.

The problem is, the photo on your tb's page shows its secret tracking number. There are people with nothing better to do than make mischief by grabbing bugs with disclosed tracking numbers and moving them around the world. I recommend grabbing your bug back and replacing it in the Pennsylvania cache, then changing the photo on your tb's page.

The other option is that someone is tired of seeing a TB listed on the page that is not there, saw the tb number there and took it upon themselves to remove it from the cache page.

Someone reported not seeing it.

Not that I like to disagree with Keystone but I'd either leave it where it is OR move it to unknown until it pops up. If it is truely not there (as the above log implies), there is no reason to make people think it is by returning it to the cache inventory.

The same thing happened this morning to our TB Freya's Racer. The TB does not have a photo on it so they cannot have got the TB number from there.

The TB was last seen in a cache in Texas (dropped in there on 3 Feb) so unless someone has picked it up and dropped it off in a PA cache without logging it, the user 'tbclean' must travel a lot.

edited to add that I've just checked it's TB page (TBQ6W5) and there are definitely no photos of the TB on there at all.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens
Please read only the few last logs on the Nordic Countries Travelbug Graveyard cache page Nordic Countries Travelbug Graveyard

Please note, it looks like all the bugs it happened to (at least the ones I checked), seemed to be missing from the caches before this person did it. Whether they stole the bugs, had the numbers from finding them previously or what, logging possibly missing bugs back into the isn't the answer either. People who like tbs, don't like finding caches that say they have them and then aren't there and haven't been for a while!

Ours was not missing from the cache it was dropped into on 3 Feb as far as I can tell. The cache has had no visitors log it since our TB was dropped off in there.

You're correct, it wasn't.. the more I'm checking there seem to be some that were actually not there and others that, as you said, didn't say that. I guess we'll have to see what happens this weekend when people go out to check on the caches they're supposed to be in!

The other option is that someone is tired of seeing a TB listed on the page that is not there, saw the tb number there and took it upon themselves to remove it from the cache page.

Not that I like to disagree with Keystone but I'd either leave it where it is OR move it to unknown until it pops up. If it is truely not there (as the above log implies), there is no reason to make people think it is by returning it to the cache inventory.

If anyone knows a bug is definitely missing, gone from the cache and not logged in the logbook or online, and the cache owner and the bug owner do not respond, please feel free to send me an email at eartha@geocachingadmin.com and I can mark it as missing. It is very simple to put it back in action this way. It merely needs to be logged again if it appears.

Hi everybody!

This is our first post on this forum.

Like other geocachers, we had a bad surprise this morning when we checked our emails and when we read these two logs:

This is an automated message from Geocaching

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

tbclean grabbed Tigreau (Travel Bug Dog Tag) at 2/22/2007

Log Date: 2/22/2007

`

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...ed-4e70ff507073

Visit Tigreau

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...7d-0f118c78758c

Profile for tbclean:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c2...af-dfe5603e8d22

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

tbclean placed Tigreau (Travel Bug Dog Tag) in Nordic Countries

Travelbug Graveyard at 2/22/2007

Log Date: 2/22/2007

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...45-7f3d2c4ee72b

Visit Tigreau

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...7d-0f118c78758c

Profile for tbclean:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c2...af-dfe5603e8d22

Nordic Countries Travelbug Graveyard

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b5-d4a659ac862d

Then, we noticed that these two logs were erased on geocaching.com and that tbclean was a new Geocacher since yesterday, with no cache found.

Our TB Tigreau was last seen in a cache near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.

We wrote to the owner of this cache who kindly accepted to go to his cache today to check if the TB was still there. We received an answer this afternoon and our TB is not in the cache anymore. By the way, thanks to the owner of the cache for helping us.

So, this is our story. We know that we are not the only one in this situation. Also, we understand that some of the TBs took by tbclean are owned by children. How can we explain such a cheap shot to children???

Groundspeak: May we ask you if you have a way to identify this king of geocachers? Like comparing the IP Address with IP Addresses from active geocachers and if there is a match, publish the name of this active geocacher?

Anyway, we all know that this is not a usual situation so let's forget this bad day and let's have fun again with our favourite activity: Geocaching

OusKonNé & Cétyla

Québec City, Canada

Oops. Once I saw the ID number in the picture, I stopped my investigation. That's the most common cause when this happens. Now I see there's more to the story.

I was happy to see that Groundspeak archived and locked the Nordic Countries Travel Bug Graveyard. There's still at least a half dozen active ones, though. :rolleyes:

Your comment about people getting tired of seeing a TB listed on the page is ironic. Last fall, I went through every cache page in Pennsylvania that had a trackable item listed in its inventory. I booted off hundreds of obviously missing trackables to an "unknown location." Some had been stuck on the page for years. You won't find too many places with cache pages that squeaky clean.

Groundspeak: May we ask you if you have a way to identify this king of geocachers? Like comparing the IP Address with IP Addresses from active geocachers and if there is a match, publish the name of this active geocacher?
Maybe not publish the name, but at least find out why this was done, and let us know.

Some of these were not reported as missing since they were dropped,

so if indeed they were, the thief actually went by those caches.

But how would he/she get the numbers, unless he/she actually stole the TBs?

If indeed these TBs were once in his/her posession,

by crossreferencing the past logs of all these TBs,

maybe some name would emerge.

If one of these TBs was mine, I would try that.

The problem is, the photo on your tb's page shows its secret tracking number. There are people with nothing better to do than make mischief by grabbing bugs with disclosed tracking numbers and moving them around the world. I recommend grabbing your bug back and replacing it in the Pennsylvania cache, then changing the photo on your tb's page.

I was one of the victims of this tbclean cacher too.

I was told way back when I first started geocaching that you should never post a picture of your TB with the tag attached. At the time I didn't see what the big deal was but I took their advice anyway and I purposely turned the tag upside down when I photgraphed it w/ my TB. Even if it had been turned upside up I don't think they could have read the number from the lousy picture I posted.

I feel bad for the TB Graveyard cache owner who archived his cache today because of this "problem child" named tbclean. I think the graveyard cache was a creative way to put your MIA TB's to rest and put it behind you... I get attached to my TB's . They are like your children. Its really sad when they go missing but instead of dwelling over your lost TB, its comforting to know that you are not alone and many others are resting in peace too along with yours and its a place for cachers to be creative

in saying goodbye to their TB.

Some of the earlier logs on this cache (before the tbclean bandit showed up) are hysterical and how can you not get a kick out of headstones made from TB tags? LoL

Having said that, I still feel for everyone who has lost TB's. I've lost all mine except two and at first I was really upset but now I just just remind myself to lighten up ......its only a game.

I do hope they track down this person and reveal his/her name on the forums....and put them to shame a little bit.

But I think if there are going to be Graveyard TB caches to place your missing TB"s in. It should be a cache that only the TB owner can log the missing TB into. If it was setup so that you had to actually have the TB ID code that you got when you activated your TB...This number is listed under your GC handle on your TB page and you are the only person who has this number. I ralize that some cachers don't pay attention to their TB logs and when they go misisng they do not remove them from the cache pages but maybe the cache approver could be the last resot for removing these MIA TB's off the cache pages after a certain amount of time has passed.....like maybe 6 monhts.

Oh well its been a sad day...reading all the logs on that Graveyard cache....

Foxgloves

But I think if there are going to be Graveyard TB caches to place your missing TB"s in. It should be a cache that only the TB owner can log the missing TB into. If it was setup so that you had to actually have the TB ID code that you got when you activated your TB...This number is listed under your GC handle on your TB page and you are the only person who has this number. I ralize that some cachers don't pay attention to their TB logs and when they go misisng they do not remove them from the cache pages but maybe the cache approver could be the last resot for removing these MIA TB's off the cache pages after a certain amount of time has passed.....like maybe 6 monhts.

Both the TB owner and the cache owner have the ability to move a bug to an "Unknown Location".

For the TB owner: On the bug page, under Travel Bug Owner Options is a pull down menu labeled 'Recalculate Distance', in there is the option "Mark Bug Missing".

For the cache owner: On the bug page under Trackable Item Options is the "Mark Item Missing". (no pull down required)

If no response from either (Give both about 3-4 weeks, in succession) send an email request to Eartha. (The TB forum Moderator)

Note: People should be attempting to work with the bug owner, then the cache owner before involving Eartha.

Arghh!

My geocoin has fallen victim to tbclean! It was logged as "grabbed" and then dropped into the nordic graveyard. Then the logs disappeared. I do have a generic pic of my "Getting There" geocoin, but no tracking number is visible.

tbclean's account is locked, so there's no way to contact this slimebag.

Here's hoping karma catches up with you!

Your comment about people getting tired of seeing a TB listed on the page is ironic. Last fall, I went through every cache page in Pennsylvania that had a trackable item listed in its inventory. I booted off hundreds of obviously missing trackables to an "unknown location." Some had been stuck on the page for years. You won't find too many places with cache pages that squeaky clean.

You're correct and since I'm out a lot, I do the same thing as you. Squeaky clean PA is in many ways. My comment was a general comment, not directed to our state (or anyone in particular). I've done my share of that, especially with the jeeps since they're easy to notice and remember if they're there or not!

Looks like my theory about tbclean muggling the first TB we released was correct (when the first TB was muggled in PA we released a new one on the copy TB tag) as I just got the following notification email:

You are receiving this email because this listing is on your watch list. Visit the web site to change your watchlist settings.

mrtracy found Fallen Granite (Traditional Cache) at 2/23/2007

Log Date: 2/23/2007

our first find. very good hiding place. we took freya's racer TB and left a veterans pin. it was raining. our whole fam went. ttyl mrtracy

Unfortunately if you search for a bug by name or if you click on a bug's (or coin) link on a cache listing, and you will automatically be taken to te bug's page that displays alot of info about it (including the TB #).

So you do not even have to see the physical tag to get the number (and the ability to mess with it).

Groundspeak may want to consider taking the bug's tracking # off the page so the only way to access the travel bug and change its status with out the tag.

There is a "public" number (beginning with "TB" for travel bugs) that is used for public reference, and which appears on the trackable's page. You cannot "grab" or "retrieve" or "discover" a bug using this number. You need the number that's stamped on the travel bug's dog tag. Geocoins work the same way.

Luckybobb: The tracking number of a TB is displayed only when you are the owner of the TB and when you are logged in on geocaching.com. Other geocachers only see the reference number, which, as Keystone said, cannot be used for a "grab", a "retrieve" or a "discover". Same for geocoins.

By the way, my TB is still missing. Does anyone have better news for his TB?

OusKonNé & Cétyla

Québec City, Canada