Need recommendation for USB to serial

G-Squad

I have a new laptop. I have moved everything over from my desktop pc, including GSAK. My problem is I still have an old gps...a Magellan Map330 which uses a serial connection. Unfortunately, the laptop doesn't have a serial connection.

I googled for the USB to serial connection. Many, many options out there. Pricing is from about $14 to $40.

Has anyone purchased one and would you recommend it? Pro's and con's appreciated.

And, any problems with GSAK using USB to serial?

AJ

I bought a KeySpan adaptor at Frye's for under $20.

No Fry's brick & mortar nearby. Couldn't fine the $20 Keyspan at Frys.com but did find a Keyspan for $40. :rolleyes:

I just bought an adaptor from http://sewelldirect.com/ to hook up an old PALM III XE.

Sewelldirect.com has one for $13.45 + s/h but it's USB 1.1.

Will I see any appreciable speed difference if I get an adapter that is USB2.0?

Reading the other threads, it seems a driver is required. Does the Sewell come with one?

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming!!

I would second the recomendation for the Keyspan, I got some cheapo one off E-Bay, it didn't work, but the Keyspan works great with my Rino. As for the USB 2.0 I can't say to this specifically, but I will say I have a scanner that I had plugged into an old USB 1.1, then realized it was a 2.0 device, so I plugged it into the 2.0 port on my machine, it runs MUCH faster, so I would guess the same would hold true, but maybe serial data hits a ceiling on the transfer??