To Trade or Not to Trade-that is the question

Degai

I was just wondering what factors one considers when they choose to trade coins. Of course, there is the obvious appeal, but what else do you consider? Trackable V. Nontrackable. . .investment . . .it belongs to a friend, etc?

Also, do you care how much it cost to make the coin verses what you are trading for?

Just curious.

I was just wondering what factors one considers when they choose to trade coins. Of course, there is the obvious appeal, but what else do you consider? Trackable V. Nontrackable. . .investment . . .it belongs to a friend, etc?

Also, do you care how much it cost to make the coin verses what you are trading for?

Just curious.

I trade for what I like and think is worth it.

It does not matter if its trackable or not to me.

Must be reasonable trades to me, like one for one, unless its a rare or hard to get coin.

I've traded trackables for non-trackables, and the other way around as well.

I request trades for what I like. I don't think I've rejected trades for our personal coins, but may do some negotiating. Though I prefer to trade personal for personal. I'm pretty flexible in trade negotiations.

I have some that have become hard to get, so those require other hard to get for trade, or a couple others that I want.

Though as with everything, others may accept less or require more for the coin.

geocoins in general are a very poor investment, yes there are some that do sell for quite alot, but it is a very fickle market. You can generally only guess at what it really cost to make any particular coin, there are alot of variables.

I collect them because of there designs, or some tie with it. such as organization coins where I've cached, or plan to cache in their area. Or a common interest reflected in the coin or maker, such as woodworking, dogs, brewing, etc. Though I have pretty much stopped buying many coins, there aren't any that I NEED to have, I'm no longer obsessed with them.

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

I mostly collect 3 types - lighthouses, Christian themed, and Canadian. If there's something else that really is a cool coin (like the Compass Rose or Magic 8-Ball) I might grab it too, but Canadian coins are my main focus. Trackable was impartant when I started but doesn't mean much to me any more since I never get around to activating a lot of my coins anway. Like NSLP I've traded non-trackables for trackables and vice versa. The Avalanche, Geocoin Fairy, and LFD Geobone coins show a non-trackable coin can be very sought after (and doesn't necessarily have to be very old to be so).

I am a bit impulsive in the coins I trade for. If I like the looks of it I will trade or try to at least. I tend to like cartoon type characters. I like to trade personals with people I know or converse with. I like states I have been to or hope to get to. For the most part I don't like commercial coins or ones that have little to do with geocaching. That being said to me trackable or non trackable doesn't matter much as I rarely activate them anyways... So far no one has come right out and told me that they won't trade simply because it isn't trackable but I know that some won't

I only trade my personal coins for ones I really like (or you can only get through trade). With all the coins coming out these days, I try and go after the ones that aren't all over the place.

Haha - actually, the only one I've traded for so far is the Yemon Yime coin (awesome coin BTW). Trackable or non-trackable doesn't matter to me, as long as I really enjoy the coin.

So I guess it's a preference thing on what you think is best. :rolleyes:

~Szuchie