Is there a thief among us?

ElectroQTed

I was just following a cache log regarding a TB that was not in a cache and possibly taken without logging it out, when I happened across someone named TBpirate. Funny thing is, that all the TBs taken by the pirate were discovered by This Cacher. A coincidink...I don't think so. Seems like an odd move for someone so new to geocaching. Hopefully, he/she is collecting them for a meaningful realease soon.

You bring up a good point. I believe this person TB Pirate was mentioned in the TB forum sometime back. Some thought that it was just someone yanking people's chains with that name. But, looking through the logs you posted under both names, there are a couple that tie these 2 names together. There are a couple of logs where qcorvino discovered it after TB Pirate removed it and hadn't placed it somewhere else.

TB Pirate has also been holding a couple TB's well over a month. Maybe Groundspeak should be notified about these "cachers".

This gives me the creeps!

TBPirate hasn't found a single cache. Yet he is holding these travel bugs, and his logs are "This item will be returned to a new location in time".

Almost like a kidnapping!

Hopefully the travel bugs are released; some of them have been out there for a long time. I especially enjoyed the "Sew" one, with all its different cacher stamps and marks.

Can you track qcorvino down, Ted? (How many students in Guelph could there possibly be? :rolleyes:

This gives me the creeps!

TBPirate hasn't found a single cache. Yet he is holding these travel bugs, and his logs are "This item will be returned to a new location in time".

Almost like a kidnapping!

Hopefully the travel bugs are released; some of them have been out there for a long time. I especially enjoyed the "Sew" one, with all its different cacher stamps and marks.

Can you track qcorvino down, Ted? (How many students in Guelph could there possibly be? :rolleyes:

:grin:

Just one darn minute...if you take a close look at the profile, you'll clearly see that qcorvino is a student in 'Gueph'. Guelph has a hard enough time existing on it's own without being branded as a safe haven for TB kidnappers. :lol:

Personally, I can't stand it when people think they are being cute by 'kidnapping' TB's. There was a cache a few years ago...(Prison Break or something) that did this. Not funny. Not fun. :grin:

Looks like he/she has cleaned out Woody's "The Travel Bug Party Shack"

Hair by Becky started by seeker_team

KPD NASCAR #48 dropped by Speysiders

mErCi HoPe dropped by Logger

Tropical Travel Bug Fish dropped by walking woody

It's definitely associated with qcorvino who 'saw' all the same TB's.

Here's hoping they are being collected for a new cache somewhere. I won't be dropping any TB's in Guelph / Flamborough area anytime soon.

qcorvino and TBPirate have identical trackables found:

Travel Bug Dog Tags = 12

2006 Michigan Geocoins = 1

Leprechaun Geocoins = 1

1701eh Memorial Geocoins = 1

Unite for Diabetes Travel Bugs = 2

Total Trackables Moved/Discovered = 17

The sad thing is that he's probably getting his kicks from reading this discussion.

qcorvino and TBPirate have identical trackables found:

Travel Bug Dog Tags = 12

2006 Michigan Geocoins = 1

Leprechaun Geocoins = 1

1701eh Memorial Geocoins = 1

Unite for Diabetes Travel Bugs = 2

Total Trackables Moved/Discovered = 17

The sad thing is that he's probably getting his kicks from reading this discussion.

What is terrible is the Diabetes TB's that have a nobel cause attached to them. Bad mojo for you pirate!

Not giving attention to someone seeking it is probably the most effective approach, as long as someone (preferably in a position of authority like a moderator or gc.com admin, or a respected & experienced cacher) lets him know that it's not good form nor appreciated. A bratty child who thinks they're being funny will often continue, even if they are being ignored - until they're told off. [listen to me talk as if I know children - ha! I guess I was one, though]. If this has been done, then yes, ignore.

Looks like 9 TBs/coins have been placed into Woody's "The Travel Bug Party Shack". Hopefully, the other 7 still in his posession will be released soon. As CT and F&J suggest, perhaps if we ignore him, he'll just get bored of his activities.

I'm reminded of a similiar situation in Pennsylvania, documented in the Northeast forum, where all the TB's were put back into circulation, they got bored of their activities, and even went on to place caches, and become a "normal" member of the geocaching community. Here's hoping that TBPirate doesn't read the forums, and does the same. :laughing:

The tbpirate was holding one of my coins captive and after i checked his profile i sent a email of to Groundspeak asking them to checkit out the day Groundspeak replied to my email tbpirate loged his first cache and released about half of his captives and i think all have been set free know. So your best bet is not to ignore it but to mention it to Groundspeak. I think a cacher in austrailia had a similar experience.