Hand Made Coins

Blktail

Does anybody out there make their own coins by hand. I have made a few out of antler disks cut from shed antlers. I am new to geocaching and wonder if this is common practice.

I am also curious as to coin tracking. How does it work? Is it wise to put an email address on a personal coin?

Does anybody out there make their own coins by hand. I have made a few out of antler disks cut from shed antlers. I am new to geocaching and wonder if this is common practice.

There are a bunch of different handmade sig items like coins. Odder does a very nice filo clay coin. I am currently playing with fusible metal (low melting point metal) and building a small furnace to melt brass, there are the geotiki's as already noted in this thread, and precious metal clay for one of a kind items. Some cachers use wooden nickels or shrinky dinks. You might also try polyurthane resin casting (smooth-on offers a neet sample kit to reproduce item in resin/plastic)

Be creative and although this crowd here might like coins, there is no need to follow the pack here.

Edited by nmartin

I made 4 coins for Geocoinfest and handed them all out before I took pics of them.

I used a shiny Mardigras coin, then i masked it with Auto grade masking tape.

Drew out a design, cut it out with an exacto knife, primered the coin, painted the coin, then I removed the masking tape leaving the image I cut out and put a epoxy resin coating over the top.

I then repeated this for the other side after it cured.

It was a long process but they turned out well I thought.

I think Im gonna make some more for FTF prizes

I am also curious as to coin tracking. How does it work? Is it wise to put an email address on a personal coin?

Check out sigitem.com, there are a bunch of personal handmade coins/token/etc. You can get in touch with Marky to get your sig item trackable there. I'm in the process of doing that now with my personal petroglyph series "coins". Just waiting on word from Marky when he's done adding mine :D

I like the antler disk idea. It's unique and anything on antlers is cool. I have seen a number of personal sig items around the Helena, MT area but only 1 was handmade. Those are the items I usually grab from a cache.

Have fun and post a pic. of your work. I'm curtious to see what they look like.

Tsun :D

This project was done quickly for GeocoinFest, next batch I am going to try and antique the coin

Sorry the image is so small

th_CIMG1213.jpg

Was this made with that silver clay stuff?

The image isnt actually small, just click it, it enlarges!

No, I melted pewter (tin, but pewter sounds cooler :( ) Carved a piece of soapstone 1st then poured the melted pewter in.

This project was done quickly for GeocoinFest, next batch I am going to try and antique the coin

th_CIMG1213.jpg

No, I melted pewter (tin, but pewter sounds cooler :( ) Carved a piece of soapstone 1st then poured the melted pewter in.

Those are great! I really like the ones you have on Markys site, they look like some ancient Roman coin.

th_CIMG1213.jpg

That sounds a lot easier than it probably is, and WAY cool, could you possibly send me soem directions to give it a shot myself?!

Thanks, I am hoping the antiquing will do the trick on these.

Hey - have you tried using liver of sulfur (also known as sulfurated potash) - I believe a solution (drop a stinky crystal in a glass of water and let it dissolve) will turn your coins black. Dont get any on your hands - or you will smell for days! You can then tumble or hand polish them to get the raised areas silver. A nice way to "age" your coins and it will really highlight the relief. I know it works with silver, copper, and bronze. Fairly sure it will work with pewter! :(

LOVE the coin! Looks like a real ancient treasure!

Edit: Holey Kamoley! My 100th post! <bows>

Edited by tiki

Hey - have you tried using liver of sulfur (also known as sulfurated potash) - I believe a solution (drop a stinky crystal in a glass of water and let it dissolve) will turn your coins black. Dont get any on your hands - or you will smell for days! You can then tumble or hand polish them to get the raised areas silver. A nice way to "age" your coins and it will really highlight the relief. I know it works with silver, copper, and bronze. Fairly sure it will work with pewter! :(

I tried the Liver of sulfur and thought for sure it would work. But alas, I let a coin soak for ages and nothing :) I found a solution that is made for pewter and was not too expensive so I will try that. Keeping fingers crossed :(

Hey - have you tried using liver of sulfur (also known as sulfurated potash) - I believe a solution (drop a stinky crystal in a glass of water and let it dissolve) will turn your coins black. Dont get any on your hands - or you will smell for days! You can then tumble or hand polish them to get the raised areas silver. A nice way to "age" your coins and it will really highlight the relief. I know it works with silver, copper, and bronze. Fairly sure it will work with pewter! :rolleyes:

I tried the Liver of sulfur and thought for sure it would work. But alas, I let a coin soak for ages and nothing :grin: I found a solution that is made for pewter and was not too expensive so I will try that. Keeping fingers crossed :lol:

I work in a trophy shop and we have some chemicals that we use to darken our metals and blacken our metals. If you want me to try this on your coin just send me a email to get my address.

TheCollector :grin:

We had a local sculpturer/artist come into the sign shop this afternoon needing help on completing a rush project that he was working on. I ended up having to stay after work a few hours while his stuff printed (since he had to have it installed by 7:00AM tomorrow morning!! :D )

While chit-chatting I mentioned that I designed coins and showed him some of the stuff that I had designed that is posted on one of the trading sites.

He started asking about different metals and how they were created, to which I basically said, "Uh... :laughing: I DESIGN coins :laughing: " and that the mints did all of the actual production of them.

He told me to come by his shop after this week was over and he'd show me how to make my own coins. He said that he had all the stuff to carve the molds and melt the metals down and give them different types of faux finishes. I'm so excited! Hopefully I'll be able to make something cool looking for some short run signature items!! ;):D

One day I'll get around to making my own personal coins to share with you guys. :D

I just can't make up my mind on what to immortalize for "my" coin. :D

I've only deisgned like 6 different ones so far!! :D

I like them when I design them, but after I go back after a few days and look at them again, I end up tearing them apart and redesigning it. I've got the "'possum Pete" coin(See my avatar), the "Sonfish" coin, the one with the '69 Camaro on it (my all time favorite vehicle), another one with an art painting pallet & drawing tools, one with our city's symbols the Clocktower & CapitolineWolf (Would be really cool looking in 3-D), and another one which I'm not gonna say anything about, because it "may" be the anchor coin of a new cool collection series project.

D-man :D

We had a local sculpturer/artist come into the sign shop this afternoon needing help on completing a rush project that he was working on. I ended up having to stay after work a few hours while his stuff printed (since he had to have it installed by 7:00AM tomorrow morning!! :D )

While chit-chatting I mentioned that I designed coins and showed him some of the stuff that I had designed that is posted on one of the trading sites.

He started asking about different metals and how they were created, to which I basically said, "Uh... :laughing: I DESIGN coins :laughing: " and that the mints did all of the actual production of them.

He told me to come by his shop after this week was over and he'd show me how to make my own coins. He said that he had all the stuff to carve the molds and melt the metals down and give them different types of faux finishes. I'm so excited! Hopefully I'll be able to make something cool looking for some short run signature items!! ;):D

One day I'll get around to making my own personal coins to share with you guys. :D

I like them when I design them, but after I go back after a few days and look at them again, I end up tearing them apart and redesigning it. I've got the "'possum Pete" coin(See my avatar), the "Sonfish" coin, the one with the '69 Camaro on it (my all time favorite vehicle), another one with an art painting pallet & drawing tools, one with our city's symbols the Clocktower & CapitolineWolf (Would be really cool looking in 3-D), and another one which I'm not gonna say anything about, because it "may" be the anchor coin of a new cool collection series project.

Would like to get a set of these when your done with them ok?

Gridlox,

Sounds like fun! I'd like to see what you come up with. There is something to be said for doing the whole process yourself. I realize not everyone is creative or has the "tools" to make their own items but I find there is a lot of satisfaction in the whole process. I worry a bit too but hey, it's all a part of the "game." Have fun with it.

Tsun :D

Edited by tsunrisebey