Would this work?

jasond

I've got a puzzle cache in mind, but before I do more work on it, I want to make sure it doesn't violate rules.

There would be a single cache (and single cache listing). The cache would be an ammo can or bucket that stays at one set of coordinates.

Seekers need to find clues (like stages of a multicache, but not quite). Each clue will contain a number, which is part of the final coordinates. (This has been done many times. I know). The clue will be either a TB or a matchstick container or something similar.

Each clue will initially be placed at a location, but will have the stipulation that, once found, it HAS to be moved from that location as soon as it is found. Furthermore, the clue's new coordinates must be noted online within 1 week of being found. The clue does NOT have to be placed in or near an existing cache.

1. If I use a TB for each stage (which I probably won't because of cost-effectiveness, propensity to be stolen, etc), would I be violating a rule that says TB's in the wild need to be placed in a cache? I don't think so, but just checking...

2. If cachers move a clue to an area within .1 miles from an existing geocache, would that clue be violating saturation guidelines? The clue is not actually a cache, but it COULD be interpreted as a stage of a cache...

3. As the clues are moving parts of a cache, would it violate the rules against moving caches?

I know it would be a headache to keep up with. I've got a few plans that I'm not willing to discuss on the forums right now, but I want to make sure my questions are answered before I put it all into effect.

Thanks!

You can ask your reviewer, but I seriously doubt if the cache would get approved as you have described it.

Whether your moving clues have a 'not to be placed in a cache' TB tag attached to them, or are carried in a matchbook container, they are still stages of a multi that are constantly being moved to new, unknown (to the reviewer) positions. Listings for multis require that the reviewers know the location of each stage of a multi as well as the location of the final, so the minimum separation guideline (as well as all other guidelines) can be followed.

It appears that you want a multi cache with middle stages that move. Moving caches where the new location doesn not go through the review process no longer published here.

One way to do this that might work (check with your reviewer first though) would be to have several different locations for the middle stages that are "pre-approved". So instead of the stages being moved indiscriminately,

they can be moved to one of several pre-determined spots.

I think it sounds like a neat concept, buuuuut;

There is a cache here that I have tried to get, but it requires a key that is attached to a TB. The problem is that at least twice I have gone to the cache where the TB was listed, and it wasn't there. It has never been stolen (that I know of) just not logged or placed right away.

It has certainly soured my enthusiasm a bit.

PP

All you need to do is place the "clues" in existing approved locally listed Caches. Then specify after being found they should be moved only to other existing approved locally listed Caches. We have a very successful one like that. Things have slowed down a bit now, but at first it was quite interesting trying to track down where the "clues" were right NOW (and hope somebody doesn't beat you to it and move it again). Then on to the final. I think so far out of four moving "clues" only one ever went missing with a muggled Cache.

Thanks for the responses, y'all.

I guess what I'll end up doing is making sure that each clue is placed in an existing cache like y'all recommend.

Now I just have to decide whether I want to clues to be TB's so they can be tracked and watched or if I want them to be something else that travels cache to cache so the only way they'd be tracked is through a note left on the cache page. I'm leaning towards a TB now...

Yes...that's going to work fine!!! Make them TBs, they can then be tracked so others will know where they Are (or who has them)...make them have a requirment to STAY in your area (county, city wherever) and put a requirement that the TB MUST be moved and placed in a set amount of time...that way all can enjoy and the TBs won't be going out of the area where the cache is!

There are a few like that ear here that I have rather enjoyed doing!!

ONE problem...don't make TOO many TB clues, it'll be too hard to complete and participants will likely lose interest!!!

GOOD LUCK!!

There is a similar cache nearby me (GCTG4C) that started with a set of 12 game pieces, each of which had a clue to the final location. Those pieces were to be placed only in caches, and each piece had a GIANT RED TAG on it clearly indicating its purpose and rules for movement.

Since that cache was published less than a year ago, half of those pieces have disappeared, a few in caches that were muggled. Many people pick them up without reading the tag. Some folks pick them up but never log them with a note on the main cache page. Then the next person who wants the piece has to track it down by digging through a bunch of logs and hoping that the person who took it still has it.

A set of replacement pieces was sent out, each of which has a TB tag on it. Those are a *LOT* easier to monitor than the non-TB pieces, and they tend to circulate more since they're easier to find. But even still, four of the TB pieces went missing and had to be replaced.

It's a lot of fun to solve a cache like that, and it can work. I would strongly recommend making your pieces into TBs instead of regular trade items. Be prepared to place backup copies of your pieces into circulation and to monitor them to make sure none has gone missing.

Edited by ePeterso2

I think it sounds like a neat concept, buuuuut;

There is a cache here that I have tried to get, but it requires a key that is attached to a TB. The problem is that at least twice I have gone to the cache where the TB was listed, and it wasn't there. It has never been stolen (that I know of) just not logged or placed right away.

It has certainly soured my enthusiasm a bit.

PP

Are you talking about George's Treasure? I have noticed that the key is frequently moved without being logged. Usually if you read the recent logs for the other caches in the park, you will be able to track it down. I'm fairly certain that it is in The Last Leaf currently (its not logged there though...). I have emailed the owner previously when I have found the key in a different cache; however, they have never responed or udated the key location.

Thanks for the tips! Looks like I'll be using TB's when my caching budget has enough leeway to splurge for a few tags.

The plan is to have either 6 or 8 real clues that must stay within 50 miles of the cache closest to my home coordinates. There will also be a few fake tags (probably just one or two) that will be clearly marked as decoys. There will also be encouragement from me for cachers to share their clue with others...but they don't have to be honest about it.

Also a few other kinks to work out (none guideline-related anymore) that will add to the difficulty. I was originally going to call it "Terrorists and Counter-terrorists" but muggles might not like that title if they stumble across it. I'll probably name it something simpler like "Guile and Deception."

Thanks for the tips! Looks like I'll be using TB's when my caching budget has enough leeway to splurge for a few tags.

The plan is to have either 6 or 8 real clues that must stay within 50 miles of the cache closest to my home coordinates. There will also be a few fake tags (probably just one or two) that will be clearly marked as decoys. There will also be encouragement from me for cachers to share their clue with others...but they don't have to be honest about it.

Also a few other kinks to work out (none guideline-related anymore) that will add to the difficulty. I was originally going to call it "Terrorists and Counter-terrorists" but muggles might not like that title if they stumble across it. I'll probably name it something simpler like "Guile and Deception."

Make sure you put a note with the TB asking that it not be moved out of a certain area. Maybe even include a map of the selected area on a side of the note. Even with this expect that some may be taken out of the area. Happened to one of my TBs that had the combo to a cache. I also found on in NJ that wasn't supposed to leave a county in Mass. Had to mail it back to the owner.