Paperless caching...

digger00

Hi,

Very new to this and was wondering the opinions on the paperless caching. I own a palmone E2 for keeping my days straight, and was wondering on what program to use. I went to one site on this subject and was very confused. Tired of printing each cache out, but before I do that need advice on the paperless end. Pros and Cons? Thanks for the help... :D

I use the method of paperless and I LOVE IT! No more printing ANYTHING. No more writing ANYTHING! I use cachemate on my Palm, it is the only prog for the palm I have used but it does everything I need. I use GASK for an all in one application to manage files, upload to my GPS, and convert formats.

Hi,

Very new to this and was wondering the opinions on the paperless caching. I own a palmone E2 for keeping my days straight, and was wondering on what program to use. I went to one site on this subject and was very confused. Tired of printing each cache out, but before I do that need advice on the paperless end. Pros and Cons? Thanks for the help... :D

I have to agree with cachemate. I purchased a couple of inexpensive palm m100s just for this reason. I've been very, very please. Easy to use, get those queries working for you.

Good luck...

since that Palm has BT, I'd get a BT GPSr and GeoNiche. You then can do everything that a typical GPSr does PLUS everything that Cachemate does, all in one device.

Of course this solution would not be advised for any off-trail type geocaching as it would lack any of the ruggedness built into typical GPS receivers. My PDA stays in a padded foam pocket unless I am standing still to read the cache description. The GPSr is in my hand all the time so I can see where I need to go.

since that Palm has BT, I'd get a BT GPSr and GeoNiche. You then can do everything that a typical GPSr does PLUS everything that Cachemate does, all in one device.

Of course this solution would not be advised for any off-trail type geocaching as it would lack any of the ruggedness built into typical GPS receivers. My PDA stays in a padded foam pocket unless I am standing still to read the cache description. The GPSr is in my hand all the time so I can see where I need to go.

You'd be suprised how rugged those palms can be... :rolleyes: Voice of experience here. If you are going to be doing any serious bushwacking, you'd probably be well-advised to get a case that has a bit of padding or rubberized shock absorption, as that's the thing *I* most encounter when out in the wild. The only other thing would be waterproofing, but I just carry some plastic sandwich bags that can serve as emergency "umbrellas" or waterproof bags if conditions get that bad. Throw on a screen protector to prevent any scratches, and you're off in the woods without any paper!

I lasted two days using paper. What a pain! I bought Cachemate and GSAK on the third day, and can't imagine going without. I am now able to look for caches anytime I want when I find a few extra moments (within my area, of course). I'm am not good enough to find a lot of things when I don't even know what I am looking for, and now I don't have to plan every cache I want to look for in advance.

Give me a year, and I might think of some cons, I say now there are only pros!

I own a brick LifeDrive that I use for just about everything, including tracking my caches. I don't take it out of my car (I do mainly urban type caching), but since I'm usually no more than about 1/2 mile from my car while caching, it's not that big of an issue. I just go out, do my thing, and keep track on the LD.

Cachemate is probably the best way to go; I used a spreadsheet when I first started, but it doesn't give you enough information. Cachemate will hunt nearest caches, and holds logs and other info from the GC website.

If you're really getting into this, look at a Premium membership. For $3 a month, or (I think) $30 a year, you can do Pocket Queries that give you a file with data that you can (fairly easily) transfer to Cachemate. I think it's a worthwile investment.

Hope this helps!

(Whoops! Looks like you've already done the PM.)

Edited by PJPeters