data transfer Garmin 201

molly10

As recent converts we bought a garmin 201 gps. We have now purchased the cables to connect it to the pc but are having difficulty trying to transfer data. We have downloaded GSAK but cannot transfer it further. We have now bought the USB adapter but still no joy. Can anyone point us in the right direction please!!!

I assume you mean a Garmin Geko 201?

I use a Geko 201 myself. There are a number of places you can go wrong when trying to transfer data.

You need to have the USB drivers installed and working.

You have to tell GSAK what kind of GPS you have and what port it is connected to and what speed its running.

You have to have the GPS communication port set to Garmin mode, not NMEA.

Those are the most likely I can think of off the top of my head.

Let us know what steps you're taking and what error messages you're getting, if any. That information can help us narrow down the problem.

As recent converts we bought a garmin 201 gps. We have now purchased the cables to connect it to the pc but are having difficulty trying to transfer data. We have downloaded GSAK but cannot transfer it further. We have now bought the USB adapter but still no joy. Can anyone point us in the right direction please!!!

If I am understanding you correctly you have a serial connection with a USB adapter. If that is the case I solved my problems this evening. This is what i did using Windows XP Home Edition. I first went to Garmin's Website and downloaded the upgrade USB Version 2.1 drivers. I then check Device manager and deleted the device from there. After rebooting I plugged my Garmin in and the system found a new hardware device and i let it search the internet even to find the best drivers. I can now push waypoints and maps to my GPS V and also from the GPS to my laptop.

If I am understanding you correctly you have a serial connection with a USB adapter. If that is the case I solved my problems this evening. This is what i did using Windows XP Home Edition. I first went to Garmin's Website and downloaded the upgrade USB Version 2.1 drivers. I then check Device manager and deleted the device from there. After rebooting I plugged my Garmin in and the system found a new hardware device and i let it search the internet even to find the best drivers. I can now push waypoints and maps to my GPS V and also from the GPS to my laptop.