Discovered vs. Found geocoins and TBs

fox-and-the-hound

I've seen a lot of threads about this and just started wondering. How hard would it be to for GC to give us a third column for these? I don't mind discovering a coin in the hands of another cacher, but I'd like to keep my found in a cache seperate. How hard would it be to have Found, Discovered and Owned columns devised? Would you want to display them that way?

I've seen a lot of threads about this and just started wondering. How hard would it be to for GC to give us a third column for these? I don't mind discovering a coin in the hands of another cacher, but I'd like to keep my found in a cache seperate. How hard would it be to have Found, Discovered and Owned columns devised? Would you want to display them that way?

I support the concept, as I would like, when looking at other cachers’ profiles, to know which geocoins they actually found in a physical cache and placed in another one.

There is of course the situation where a geocacher finds a coin in a cache and prefers to leave it there. In these cases they could use the method of “Retrieve” and “Drop” back in the same cache.

Also I’d like “Owned” split into Travelling (coins you have released or soon will) and Collection.

And if I could get what I REALLY wanted, I’d like a completely separate page for geocoins either “Discovered” or held in a collection as I think this should be quite distinct from “Trackables”. :D

But I know I’m in a small minority (of one? :D ) here . . . :D

I don't know, it seems to me that if we don't want to be associated with people who log coins for the icon, we are a tad bit elitist.

No? Perhaps we are just trying to make a point that logging coins for icons doesn't have much to do with geocaching.

Maybe I'm just not clear on the finer points of the separation. Maybe if the cards were on the table I could understand it better.

BlueDeuce, I think your second point is better representative of my views on this topic. As I stated above, if a distinction between the two categories of discovered and moved could be made, I too would log icons of notable geocoins I've "discovered". I'd even allow others to "discover" geocoins I own.

The weakness I perceive in the current system, which assigns a single shared status across these dissimilar categories, is that it doesn't provide an adequate or necessarily acurate interpretation of the activities on ones stats page.

While not practical, under the current system, one could exclusively attend events and accumulate hundreds of icons using the "discovery" feature without ever visiting a geocache.

I don't know, it seems to me that if we don't want to be associated with people who log coins for the icon, we are a tad bit elitist.

No? Perhaps we are just trying to make a point that logging coins for icons doesn't have much to do with geocaching.

Maybe I'm just not clear on the finer points of the separation. Maybe if the cards were on the table I could understand it better.

Well for us, we like to be able to quick reference the ones we found along the way to see where they are now. If we "discovered" coins we'd probably never be able to sort them all out easily and most coins that are for view at events seldom have the pictures and stories that traveling coins and tbs have. I'd like to keep a reference of coins I've seen or been shown by other cachers, but not have it crowd the coins I've actually carried from cache to cache. It's just a better way to categorize how and where we came across a traveler. :D

Well for us, we like to be able to quick reference the ones we found along the way to see where they are now. If we "discovered" coins we'd probably never be able to sort them all out easily and most coins that are for view at events seldom have the pictures and stories that traveling coins and tbs have. I'd like to keep a reference of coins I've seen or been shown by other cachers, but not have it crowd the coins I've actually carried from cache to cache. It's just a better way to categorize how and where we came across a traveler. :D

Why do you need a separation between coins you moved and coins you Discovered. Especially for you who are doing both.

You are obviously making a distinction between the two options.

edit: added one line, so I can get some sleep.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The weakness I perceive in the current system, which assigns a single shared status across these dissimilar categories, is that it doesn't provide an adequate or necessarily acurate interpretation of the activities on ones stats page.

Since when has geocaching ever done that? I have done 1000 caches, others have done 5000 but there is not way to easily differenciate between higher terrain or difficulty. I shun lamppost micros, others enjoy them. To each their own. Finding more caches doesn't make a 'better' person or cacher. Same as discovering a coin or finding it in a cache doesn't make a someone a 'better' person or cacher. Perception is how you want others to percieve you. That's the only time it really matters whether you found it in a cache or discovered it.

While not practical, under the current system, one could exclusively attend events and accumulate hundreds of icons using the "discovery" feature without ever visiting a geocache.

They attended events, which last time I checked counted as a cache find. :D

It's just a better way to categorize how and where we came across a traveler.

You can look at the coin log to see whether you found it in a cache or discovered it. :D

Why do you need a separation between coins you moved and coins you Discovered. Especially for you who are doing both.

Well as Avroair pointed out we can look up past found it under our account, but we want an icon list that reflects it. If the small icon were displayed in the lists of your logs, that would also be a nice feature. When you look into your TB's "Found" list you see names, but not icons, so it's difficult to go into every individual coin or tb entry to figure out which one it was. I'd like a faster way to access a coin by icon.

As for the Discovered list, I would probably bother Discovering more often than I do if it wasn't going to fill up my list of carried coins and TBs. It's also a nice and easy way to keep records of people I've met at Events by discovering their coins, too. The way I see it, it only adds to the system and it doesn't take anything away.

Well as Avroair pointed out we can look up past found it under our account, but we want an icon list that reflects it. If the small icon were displayed in the lists of your logs, that would also be a nice feature. When you look into your TB's "Found" list you see names, but not icons, so it's difficult to go into every individual coin or tb entry to figure out which one it was. I'd like a faster way to access a coin by icon.

As for the Discovered list, I would probably bother Discovering more often than I do if it wasn't going to fill up my list of carried coins and TBs. It's also a nice and easy way to keep records of people I've met at Events by discovering their coins, too. The way I see it, it only adds to the system and it doesn't take anything away.

I understand that you want to distinguish between coins you’ve discovered and ones you’ve moved, but it still doesn’t answer my question. What is the reason for separating coins you’ve moved and discovered?

These three Iowa coins I moved. These three Iowa coins I Discovered. You logged all six so I don’t see what you are gaining.

Apparently there’s a reason for showing/knowing the difference. If you’ve chosen to do both methods I not sure why it would matter to you. What’s the benefit?

What you need to have them update is when you go to your account page and access travel bugs, have them add Discovered to this list:

My Travel Bug Logs this month (max 15 logs shown)

Show: Dropped off, Grab it (not from a cache), Retrieve it from a cache, Write note, All Logs

(Selecting a Show option shows more than 'this month')

Problem solved, now you'll know.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Well for us, we like to be able to quick reference the ones we found along the way to see where they are now. If we "discovered" coins we'd probably never be able to sort them all out easily and most coins that are for view at events seldom have the pictures and stories that traveling coins and tbs have. I'd like to keep a reference of coins I've seen or been shown by other cachers, but not have it crowd the coins I've actually carried from cache to cache. It's just a better way to categorize how and where we came across a traveler. :)

I understand that you want to distinguish between coins you’ve discovered and ones you’ve moved, but it still doesn’t answer my question. What is the reason for separating coins you’ve moved and discovered?

These three Iowa coins I moved. These three Iowa coins I Discovered. You logged all six so I don’t see what you are gaining.

Apparently there’s a reason for showing/knowing the difference. If you’ve chosen to do both methods I not sure why it would matter to you. What’s the benefit?

:( Your question was answered in the post before you asked it. I follow the travels of the TBs after I've carried them. I do not follow the logs of Discovered travelers because they're usually in someone else's collection and so do not (very often) actually travel freely and carry the interesting stories and photos of "free traveling" TBs.

I want to reference quickly TBs that we've carried to see where they are now and I don't want to have to sift through all the icons if we started entering the Discovered TBs all the time. I've Discovered hundreds of coins, but have only logged a few "Discovered"s for various reasons like being owned by someone I wanted to contact later.

They do have in your account profile the ability to show Found TBs vs Discoved TBs, but it comes up as a list of names and not icons. Because the names often do not reflect which coins they are, it would be helpful to have an icon reference. :(

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Well for us, we like to be able to quick reference the ones we found along the way to see where they are now. If we "discovered" coins we'd probably never be able to sort them all out easily and most coins that are for view at events seldom have the pictures and stories that traveling coins and tbs have. I'd like to keep a reference of coins I've seen or been shown by other cachers, but not have it crowd the coins I've actually carried from cache to cache. It's just a better way to categorize how and where we came across a traveler. :)

:( Your question was answered in the post before you asked it. I follow the travels of the TBs after I've carried them. I do not follow the logs of Discovered travelers because they're usually in someone else's collection and so do not (very often) actually travel freely and carry the interesting stories and photos of "free traveling" TBs.

I want to reference quickly TBs that we've carried to see where they are now and I don't want to have to sift through all the icons if we started entering the Discovered TBs all the time. I've Discovered hundreds of coins, but have only logged a few "Discovered"s for various reasons like being owned by someone I wanted to contact later.

They do have in your account profile the ability to show Found TBs vs Discoved TBs, but it comes up as a list of names and not icons. Because the names often do not reflect which coins they are, it would be helpful to have an icon reference. :(

You can Watch TB's/Coins just like you can watch caches. why not do that if your just interested in following the travels of a bug you have possessed?

You can Watch TB's/Coins just like you can watch caches. why not do that if your just interested in following the travels of a bug you have possessed?

That's what we're doing now. For example: Claire (our first found TB) is almost to 10,000miles and Melissa (our first found geocoin) is over 12,000 miles down the trail now. The downside is that every time a TB is discovered at events our inbox gets flooded with all the subsequent logs so we have to remove them for awhile before putting them back on later.

You want to know where the just coins you moved are now, and you need to identify them by icon as well. (so you can review the history)

OK

cut...

heavily edited.

Back OT, would you want to see seperate listings? Why or why not? I only listed my reasons, but I'm looking for everyone's opinions. :(

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

That's what we're doing now. For example: Claire (our first found TB) is almost to 10,000miles and Melissa (our first found geocoin) is over 12,000 miles down the trail now. The downside is that every time a TB is discovered at events our inbox gets flooded with all the subsequent logs so we have to remove them for awhile before putting them back on later.

Set your email up to automatically move those emails to another folder, then you can look at them at your leisure. Back on topic, I log coins I move, and every once and awhile I discover a few, just really depends on how busy I am. Cluttering up the stats page seems, IMO, a useless thing, but I can see people wanting to know the difference.

FYI, I move and release a LOT of coins, but I can be an Icon Ho also, the two don't have to be exclusive. I actually get more enjoyment out of the logs, and looks, and thanks I get for releasing or giving coins away.

Set your email up to automatically move those emails to another folder, then you can look at them at your leisure. Back on topic, I log coins I move, and every once and awhile I discover a few, just really depends on how busy I am. Cluttering up the stats page seems, IMO, a useless thing, but I can see people wanting to know the difference.

FYI, I move and release a LOT of coins, but I can be an Icon Ho also, the two don't have to be exclusive. I actually get more enjoyment out of the logs, and looks, and thanks I get for releasing or giving coins away.

That's a great idea! I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll definitely give it a try. Actually it never occured to me, but it makes perfect sense. I'm not into the icons as much as Fox is, but I like easy referencing. We haven't logged that many TBs, but it's already taking more time than I like to find specific ones so I see it becoming more of an issue later than right now, but I like to think ahead. I like to keep track of the ones I've left unactivated in caches so that's a big reason why I don't like to clutter my watchlist with the ones we've found. I'm just trying to keep it all organized. :(