Show me your cans

bogleman

Got skills?

I enjoy nosing around the forums specifically the Cool Cache Containers thread. Today in the forums Dosido posted a picture of some ammo cans that were painted at an event in this thread. I thought that this really shows the family side of the activity by letting the kid’s paint the cans as well as lessening the threatening image of an ammo can with original markings on them.

This got me thinking; I’ve seen personal contests for personal coins for guessing the score on a football game as well as rewarding an influential member of the GC community. Why not try to reward someone for his or her personal flair for his or her ammo cans.

I’ve got two non trackable coins as a prize for my contest 333613dc-3808-4465-a680-b9c245757ebd.jpg front

e8567d00-609d-46eb-a383-190a7ba80af7.jpg back. Interested? The rules are simple, what I would like to see are painted ammo cans. The ammo cans should be the typical metal type of military ammunition storage container. Your assignment is to go and grab a can and dress it up, make it shine – bring on the flair, add camo or whatever it takes but it must still resemble an ammo can when complete along with the GC website and other pertinent information visible on the exterior of the can. The ammo can must be suitable to be placed in the wild when complete. I will accept cans that are in the field now but you must provide a link to the cache and a current picture.

Post photos of your completed project voting will begin March 4 at 0900 est and end 2200 est., one vote per user name (please send votes through my GC profile).

What does in it for me – nothing, you win by popular vote and the coins are yours. No strings attached.

ed74b7a9-0cd2-4e79-95d5-e04d77feaeb6.jpg

This is the locked ammo container that I created to lay in plain sight in the Doctor's Quarters in Compartment Two of the Juliett 484, the 300 foot long decommissioned Soviet ballistic nuclear submarine that was used for the movie "K-19: The Widowmaker."

The cache container was drilled, sanded, welded, painted, and after the contracted graphics studio completed the Cyrillic lettering, the vinyl was applied and foam padding was added to the underside to help prevent marring of the Doctor's medical cabinet where the cache is located.

ed74b7a9-0cd2-4e79-95d5-e04d77feaeb6.jpg

This is the locked ammo container that I created to lay in plain sight in the Doctor's Quarters in Compartment Two of the Juliett 484, the 300 foot long decommissioned Soviet ballistic nuclear submarine that was used for the movie "K-19: The Widowmaker."

The cache container was drilled, sanded, welded, painted, and after the contracted graphics studio completed the Cyrillic lettering, the vinyl was applied and foam padding was added to the underside to help prevent marring of the Doctor's medical cabinet where the cache is located.

Your can has my vote. Your cache has been on my 'must do' list for quite a while.

My first post in the forum - wow. Here's my little contribution.

Just finished these two boxes (the camouflage isn't good in the snow)

f58f1557-e3f1-4794-8db8-d58c834795de.jpg

I made this one as a gift to some of our geocaching friends who got married last summer - it was filled with geo-stuff

ae37696c-9179-496a-99eb-5b37e62d123e.jpg

Here is one we did for a Christmas Cache this year GCZBQP. It is archived now, but the box and decorations are here in my office and will be out at a new location next year. Before anyone asks, the parks department approved the cache and the decorated tree in advance. ...
Oops. I just realized that I never logged my find on that one. I'll get it done soon.

In the center of the picture is an ammo can that I glued leaves, grasses, and dirt, to match it's surroundings. I thought showing my "can" in it's hiding spot, proves its effectiveness.

53a11aa7-3923-43cd-8b65-0558a6513783.jpg

The geocache logo actually faces down.

e9b7a3f4-d9a1-4be9-9c34-ceb6227a6b8e.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox

Kit, I'd vote for your's hands down, but the OP limited the contest to those who camo with paint. If it weren't for that limitation, I'd be entering some of mine into the contest. :anibad:

I do use paint, then I go for the "world famous" Clann Riffster look :anibad: