Geocoin still in cacher's possession

I own two geocoins. They were given as a doorprize at a local event.

One of these coins has tracked zero miles because the first person to take it still has it in their possession. The log indicated that it was going to be moved along to other caches. That was January 10.

Isn't this a little too long to hold onto a geocoin? I admit I'm guilty of this sometimes, but this is almost 6 weeks.

I don't want to cause problems or hard feelings.

Should I email that geocacher ... or wait a while ... or what?

One of these coins has tracked zero miles because the first person to take it still has it in their possession. The log indicated that it was going to be moved along to other caches. That was January 10.

Isn't this a little too long to hold onto a geocoin? I admit I'm guilty of this sometimes, but this is almost 6 weeks.

If they were given as "door prizes" then they are no longer yours and you should not worry about them.

If they were given as "door prizes" then they are no longer yours and you should not worry about them.

Maybe I'm a little slow on this geocoin thing, but how could someone give someone else's registered geocoin as a door prize when it isn't theirs to give?

If the coin was "given as a doorprize" the cacher may well think it's theirs to keep. If your intent was not to adopt the coin over to them, how was it a gift?

I'm confused, and they may well be also.

I guess it depends on what was said at the time. If you are confident that they understood that the coin wasn't a gift, but was just a handoff, you might still wait a bit before asking them about moving it. It's only been a handful of weekends, and some of them haven't been wonderful, weatherwise.

Maybe the OP just means that he was given unactivated coins as a door prize, and now that he's activated and released them they aren't moving?

I'd email the holder politely and ask what's up. Chances are he may have just forgotten that he has it.

I would also think that you should never set a coin or TB loose in the world that you aren't completely prepared to never ever see again.

Maybe I'm a little slow on this geocoin thing, but how could someone give someone else's registered geocoin as a door prize when it isn't theirs to give?

What's the confusion about. It appears that they got the coin because they won the door prize.... then registered it ....... then placed it in a cache ...... and now someone picked it up and is holding onto it. Yes an email would be ok. Just make sure to come across in a positive way seeing is how you want them to get with the program and not just keep it forever.

Did you win them, or did you give them away? In particular, were they given to this cacher you're talking about?

If this is your coin, then e-mail the cacher, and ask them in a nice manner to get it moving again. That's really about all you can do.

Just send them a e-mail asking if they forgot to log it where ever they dropped it.That will get the dialog going.I had one go missing out of a cache in front of my house.The people logged their visit in the cache but not the website.I sent them an e-mail asking if they happen to pick up a coin while they were there.I'm told they are new and may not know what they have.

What's the confusion about. It appears that they got the coin because they won the door prize.... then registered it ....... then placed it in a cache ...... and now someone picked it up and is holding onto it. Yes an email would be ok. Just make sure to come across in a positive way seeing is how you want them to get with the program and not just keep it forever.

The confusion stems from the statement "They were given as a doorprize at a local event". He didn't specify that he had received them as a door prize, so some of us assumed that the coins were given to someone else.

Yes, if he received the coins as a door prize, activated and released them and now someone is holding on to one, he should send a polite e-mail asking that person to move the coin along.

It really hasn't been an overly long time for the individual to hold to coin (Jan 10th) , especially given that it is winter and they may not be actively caching. Also, personally I try not to place a coin in "any ole cache' but usually try to find a dependable one without a history of hitchhiker (TB or coin) losses or muggles. They might be waiting to come across a good cache to drop it.

Don't stress about your coins, it takes the fun out of it :signalviolin:.

It really hasn't been an overly long time for the individual to hold to coin (Jan 10th) , especially given that it is winter and they may not be actively caching. Also, personally I try not to place a coin in "any ole cache' but usually try to find a dependable one without a history of hitchhiker (TB or coin) losses or muggles. They might be waiting to come across a good cache to drop it.

Don't stress about your coins, it takes the fun out of it :signalviolin:.

And not to mention, that you'll eventually get tired of people not answering your politely written emails on the subject anyway... I've learned to just let 'em go and do their thing.

As somone who *has* held only a non-geocaching.com travel bug (If it was from here, I'd see the reminder every time I logged a find) for a lot longer than I wish to share, I say email them. Even if they don't respond (I didn't. I was too embarrassed) they'll still place it somewhere (I did :signalviolin:)

Here is some advice that will get results or relief .....one way or the other.

Send the person a nice email requesting that the coin be "moved along".

Next.....take a deep breath......pucker your lips in a nice "kissy" way........

AND KISS THAT COIN GOODBYE!

Then you have done all you can do!

Best of luck!

Edited by chuckwagon101

I attend events alot and see people giving away door prizes some of these door prizes are activated geocoins.

I won one a few months ago and I was really excited....until I saw the drill hole in the coin. Once I got home yea it was an activated geocoin. ::::sigh::: I then sent it on its way. Some people think that coins are so rare that they do give them away at events as door prizes...not to keep...but to pass along.

I do think that this is a bad thing to be doing because new cachers might not realize that they are suppost to put them in a cache. But hey...im still glad I got that coin...it added a new icon to my Trackable page :D

Maybe the OP just means that he was given unactivated coins as a door prize, and now that he's activated and released them they aren't moving?

I'd email the holder politely and ask what's up. Chances are he may have just forgotten that he has it.

That sounds possiable. It seems I'm not the only one that wasn't exactly sure of what the OP was saying.

Another idea, and not something I've personally seen, but have heard about. Is maybe at the event all the travelers (TB, traveling coins, etc) were gathered up and 'raffled' off. In an attempt to randomize who gets to move what to another cache :D?

Just send them a e-mail asking if they forgot to log it where ever they dropped it.That will get the dialog going.I had one go missing out of a cache in front of my house.The people logged their visit in the cache but not the website.I sent them an e-mail asking if they happen to pick up a coin while they were there.I'm told they are new and may not know what they have.

Update on this.After sending them an e-mail and I think someone else contacted them these people finally logged their visit yesterday and logged the coin out of my cache.Thats 11 days to log a visit.

Update on this.After sending them an e-mail and I think someone else contacted them these people finally logged their visit yesterday and logged the coin out of my cache.Thats 11 days to log a visit.

There really isn't any guideline that one necessarily has to log a cache online anyway. Some never do, but prefer only to sign the logbook. I have occasionly missed logging them from a cache run as long as 2 or 3 months after the fact. Also some people cache on extended vavctions and may not have access to a computer until after they return.

I have a bunch a TBs out there and when I get curious about why someone is hanging onto the it for longer than usual, I will go check their profile to see when he last logged a cache. I also check the last time they visited GC.com. I have yet to e-mail another cacher about holding a TB too long, but it is a bit frustrating when the cacher has been out and active. The one holding the coin in question has not been out since he logged the cache the coin was grabbed from. It has been cold here, but there is also a bit of responsibility on the part of the cacher to post a note or e-mail that the coin might be held onto a bit longer. I have notified owners and they have been very understanding.

I've been using a different tactic that seems to be helping with my coins- emailing the cacher as soon as they are picked up and logged, thanking them for helping out, and paraphrasing the mission.

So far, so good. Only one cacher got upset- can't even remember what he said- somehow got defensive- but passed it along quickly none-the-less.

There really isn't any guideline that one necessarily has to log a cache online anyway. Some never do, but prefer only to sign the logbook. I have occasionly missed logging them from a cache run as long as 2 or 3 months after the fact. Also some people cache on extended vavctions and may not have access to a computer until after they return.

Maybe no guideline but I feel there is somewhat of a responsibility.If you don't log your visit when you take a coin or TB others may be headed to the cache to pickup that item.