Working with tracks over 500 points 76csx

toddm

Hello all,

Is there any way to access a track log that is longer than 500 points on a 76csx?

I know I can take a long track log say 2000 points from a mountain bike ride and bring it into trackmaker etc. and use a tracklog reducer but a lot of detail is lost in the process.

Is there any way to save a *gpx file to the SD card and then access that track on the gps? I tried putting a *.gpx tracklog on the card, but I can't seem to access that tracklog aside to see it's there or delete it.

Is the only way to get more than 500 points from a track to break the large tracklog up into smaller chunks of 500 points? Which really gets annoying as you not only have to change tracks on the same trail, but you only get 20 of them so you can only get 3-4 long trails on the gps.

So annoying, garmin really should try building in some memory card features, there's no reason why we should not be able to easily save and access waypoints, tracks, routes on the card without silly arbitrary limits on the number.

Thanks in advance

Todd

Hello all,

Is there any way to access a track log that is longer than 500 points on a 76csx?

I know I can take a long track log say 2000 points from a mountain bike ride and bring it into trackmaker etc. and use a tracklog reducer but a lot of detail is lost in the process.

Is there any way to save a *gpx file to the SD card and then access that track on the gps? I tried putting a *.gpx tracklog on the card, but I can't seem to access that tracklog aside to see it's there or delete it.

Is the only way to get more than 500 points from a track to break the large tracklog up into smaller chunks of 500 points? Which really gets annoying as you not only have to change tracks on the same trail, but you only get 20 of them so you can only get 3-4 long trails on the gps.

So annoying, garmin really should try building in some memory card features, there's no reason why we should not be able to easily save and access waypoints, tracks, routes on the card without silly arbitrary limits on the number.

Thanks in advance

Todd

Here are 3 good past threads all concerning tracks saved to the micro sd card.

Saving tracks on micro SD

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=154012&hl=

Managing Tracks

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=154881&hl=

Using GPS to mark a trail

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=154455&hl=

1) Upload the track in question to Mapsource and edit as needed.

2) Make sure there is enough room in the active track log. Erase the log if needed.

3) Name the track in question "ACTIVE LOG". Send to the unit. It will appear in the active track log and can be up to 10000 points long.

It is not the greatest solution, but it is will work.

On other questions. To access the SD card logs, put the unit into "USB Mass Transfer" mode from the "interface" page. You'll find the logs stored as GPX files by date on the card and can open them with Mapsource.

Edited by Red90

That's kind of what I figured, and frankly pathetic usability from garmin.

The active log trick is interesting but useless if you need more than one trail on your gps. Running back to my labtop ever time I want to ride a new trail and upload an active log file is a joke.

It just amazes me that one of the major features of a gps is to make trails you can come back to and use later, yet the actual ability to make a detailed tracklog and use it later on the GPS is so limited.

500 points might be enough for a short trail, but for a 30 mile mountain bike ride thats only one point every 100 meters or so, which preserves little to no trail detail. It's enough for general directional navigation but that's about it. The gps resolution is capable of so much more it's too bad it can't use it.

You can write "ACTIVE LOG 001" and "ACTIVE LOG 002", etc... so multiple ones can be added.

As far as they are concerned.... The major use for GPS's are for auto-routing in your car. That is where the money lies. :blink:

If you are serious, you can make your own maps from the track data. It is not too tough if you are reasonably computer literate. See my sig.