Extended Search Radius

Run&Hike

I usually plan a day of caching with My Account > Search for nearest caches (filter out finds). Unfortunately, we've now found most of the caches we intend to find, but the list is cut off at 50 miles!

Is there a way to extend the search to 100 miles, or even to a selectable range?

Additionally, we live on a narrow peninsula, and many caches that are listed as being within 50 miles are actually on the other side of the bay, almost 200 miles away!

Would it be possible to limit the direction of a search to a certain quadrant?

Right now I'm resorting to looking up zipcodes and searching around them.

The default search radius used to be 100 miles no matter where you accessed a coordinates-based search on the site. Then, the front page search, the My Account searches and the advanced search page were all cut to 50 miles. But, the regular Seek page still returns 100 miles of results. The change was made in order to improve website performance. I think it's a nice compromise. As Starbrand notes, you can always adjust the distance manually.

As for the peninsula problem, move to Kansas. I don't think they have any there. :blink:

Edited by The Leprechauns
Additionally, we live on a narrow peninsula, and many caches that are listed as being within 50 miles are actually on the other side of the bay, almost 200 miles away!

Since you're a premium member, the solution to this would be PQs and GSAK. With pocket queries, you can custom order GPX files with up to 500 waypoints per file, up to 5 files per day almost any way you like. Then using GSAK as a database reader, you can slice and dice those results even further, including by direction from a center point.

The &dist=100 woks just great, I've been using that 'feature' for about 2 years now. But occasionally it breaks. For example, say you are looking for puzzle caches out to 100 miles, when you click on page 2 all of a sudden you are back to all kinds of caches not just puzzles as your attempt was supposed to give.

This has to do with the fact that most of the searches, along with say the various parts of your profile, are not actual html but some kind of script.

P.S. One can't use the &dist=13000 to find out how many caches there are in the world, or how many puzzle caches there are in total or of any other kind, that feature tops oout at 999.9 miles.

Perhaps the overuse of this feature by thousands of cachers a day is what kills geocaching.com and gives one the dreaded server application error or other hangups at geocaching.com.

Since you're a premium member, the solution to this would be PQs and GSAK. With pocket queries, you can custom order GPX files with up to 500 waypoints per file, up to 5 files per day almost any way you like. Then using GSAK as a database reader, you can slice and dice those results even further, including by direction from a center point.

but it's still not as easy as clicking a link that says "Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds)"

I usually plan a day of caching with My Account > Search for nearest caches (filter out finds). Unfortunately, we've now found most of the caches we intend to find, but the list is cut off at 50 miles!

Is there a way to extend the search to 100 miles, or even to a selectable range?

Is the area on the other side of the bay the same state as you live in? If not, you can easily sort those caches out of a PQ by setting the query to only return caches in your state.

A "route" query that is really just a straight line down the center of the peninsula, with the width set appropriately would work marvelously in this case. Set a browser bookmark to the "preview" page and its just as easy as the "Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates" link.

:P:P I have had the same question for many months now and have sent e-mails but have never heard back from any of the "boys' as to why it all of a sudden changed.

So maybe if we keep asking WHY may be "they" will respond. Hang in there and have fun.

Clodbuster 2 :lol:

I have had the same question for many months now and have sent e-mails but have never heard back from any of the "boys' as to why it all of a sudden changed.

So maybe if we keep asking WHY may be "they" will respond.

I could have sworn there was a discussion about this way back when but I can't find it. I did find this short post that pretty much explains it, and offers a workaround.