Garmin

LollyBob

We have a problem with our Garmin 60csx, we have tried to ring Garmin but everytime we ring the number it says there is currently a high demand on the phones blah blah blah. I have waited in the queue for over 15 minutes and still held in the queue. We have also emailed them and got not reply. Has anyone else had this problem? We have heard that Garmin customer services are second to none, but how the heck can you get you get in touch with them!

These forums always seem to state what great aftersales Garnin provide. Like you I've had no such success B) - no replies to ringing them also no replies to emails sent in early December to both their US and UK operations :huh: . I'll also be keen to hear how to make contact.

PS: My issue is how to restick the rubber sleeve to a yellow - so any help here also appreciated.

FollowMeChaps

Best of luck with Garmin!! If you follow this thread from last year you'll see the trouble I had with getting my Vista C repaired (just out of warranty 13 months old) - the rubber seal had come unglued. I eventually got a brand new unit from them but it was a slow process.

It seems Garmin were once exceptional in their service but since last year its gone downhill. I emailed first, then phoned (but never got through) and finally wrote but got no reply, so wrote again (recorded delivery), quoting the sale of goods act and threatening them with legal action - that got a response and an apology - they had been moving to a new building!!

Chris

We're having the same problem: the rubber strip round our Legend C has come unstuck so we emailed Garmin about 3 weeks ago - no response yet. Will try writing next. If anyone manages to contact a specific person at Garmin who turns out to be helpful, please email us via our profile, thanks.

:blink: Andy phillips is the person u need to mail and is usually very helpful.

To be fair to Garmin,they have been moving business propertys recently and they did have a back log.

My garmin vista has been back twice now for click stick and rubber surround coming adrift and i have had a recon unit sent twice.

They do provide a great service. :blink:

I asked about repair to the rubber strip on my Legend C which was suffering ths standard issue of coming unglued. They wouldnt accept that the glue was not up to the job in the hot weather and their stock response was to give me a reference number to quote when sending the whole unit back. The fee was £90 and would cover return P&P, the latest software update and any repairs needed.

Seeing as my Unit was fine other than the rubber strip I though this was a bit steep based against the price of a brand new one so I never took it further.

In my experience I've had nothing but the best of service with Garmin.

About a year ago my rubber strip came off and split. I called to see if I could get a new one sent out and I would glue it on myself where they said I would have to send it in so they could make sure it was weathertight. Not wanting to be without a GPS for a period of time I super glued it back in place which worked fine. When I got my new GPS I sent it back to them and they returned it in excellant condition at no charge.

Last December I accidently poked a hole in the case of 60csx and could not get it communicating with the computer. I called with no problem getting through although I can not remember who I talked to. I was told it was not covered by the warranty and it would be the 90 pound fee to repair. As I had no choice I continued talking with him to get the mailing details and asked him if I pay now or when they return it which he said they would sort it out. Less than 2 weeks later it was returned in the post with a new case and extra cable and memory card as I did not send them in again at no charge.

In my opinion Garmin come out with top marks and they have customer who will be back whenever the next new improved model comes out.

I tried the email too and it just bounced back!

I have just called them again and got through straight away!

The the guy did say that they were having problems with computers at the moment and would I ring back tomorrow! I did say that I was not happy with that as I had been trying to get through to them for days and was held in a queue. I have also told him to check these forums, and see how many other people are having problems trying to get through to them and getting nowhere.

I asked if he would take my details and send me out the returns label that I need.

He has taken all my details and said that someone will contact me tomorrow.

Now I will have to wait to see if I get the email or not.

I will not be a happy bunny if I dont.

I have also asked about the problems with the yellow etrex. He was unaware of the glue failing around the rubber part of it. I told him that this seems to be a common fault with it. I do not want to return it as it works fine. Is there anything I can do to sort it out. His reply was... take the batteries out and put it in the fridge, this will make the glue sticky again and should sort the problem. Let the unit warm up again before you use it again. I would be a bit worried about putting something electronic in the fridge.

What are you thoughts on this?

I have also asked about the problems with the yellow etrex. He was unaware of the glue failing around the rubber part of it. I told him that this seems to be a common fault with it. I do not want to return it as it works fine. Is there anything I can do to sort it out. His reply was... take the batteries out and put it in the fridge, this will make the glue sticky again and should sort the problem. Let the unit warm up again before you use it again. I would be a bit worried about putting something electronic in the fridge.

What are you thoughts on this?

I had this problem with my venture and also didn't want to be without it while they fixed it and they (Garmin) said to use double sided sticky tape. I did this using "carpet tape" and it seems to be holding fine after nearly a year. If you try this the three important things to watch are:-

Be careful not to stretch the rubber while removing it or cleaning it.

Clean all traces of the old glue off the rubber and the GPSr. using white spirit or lighter fuel

and DON'T stretch the rubber

I dealt with a guy called Ollie Stone (ollie.stone@garmin.com). He was the one who initially answered my email and said I'd have to pay for repairs. When I pointed out the unit was only 13 months old and the rubber strip had come off completely (and gone yucky!) and that any product should last for a 'reasonable time' I heard no more..... that was the start of my battle with them.

Chris

I have to say that late last year I sent my Summit back to Garmin, it was 5 years old and well out of warranty and I openly told them I had dropped it. They replaced it wih a brand new unit under warranty!

I'd say they have fantastic customer care and service.

I also got straight through on the phone :signalviolin:

I have to say that late last year I sent my Summit back to Garmin, it was 5 years old and well out of warranty and I openly told them I had dropped it. They replaced it wih a brand new unit under warranty!

I'd say they have fantastic customer care and service.

I also got straight through on the phone :D

This is what people have always said about Garmin which is why I (and others) have been so surprised to have had a hard time with them. Once I finally got through to them they were very quick to deal with the problem and did replace my Vista C with a brand new one too.

Chris

:rolleyes: Andy phillips is the person u need to mail and is usually very helpful.

To be fair to Garmin,they have been moving business propertys recently and they did have a back log.

My garmin vista has been back twice now for click stick and rubber surround coming adrift and i have had a recon unit sent twice.

They do provide a great service. :wub:

Had plenty of really good service from this guy over a forerunner and vista and recently GPSmap. Mailed him just a couple of days ago over a broken clip and replacement was in the post the following day. Nothing but praise for the service from me.

Andy.Phillips@garmin.com does work for me.

We've now had a couple of emails back from Andy Phillips, he is indeed very helpful and has told us where to return our unit. He said that repairs are currently taking 4 working days and that this small repair will be free of charge.

Result!

I'll post again with any significant news of the repair - but I won't be sending it back till after Easter as we will need it then (just in case).

Battery cover screw stud broke on my unit[ Garmin Vista CX and they replaced it free by return of post, had no trouble getting through to them at all.

This contrasts the service recieved by Tom Tom where it is impossible to speak to anyone and there e mail help line works on some mad loop!

It is also impossible to down load their free upgrades [voucher provided with new unit] I will never ever buy a Tom Tom again!!!

I've been having a problem with the control stick on my Legend 'sticking' from time to time. A quick tap with a knuckle usually fixes it but its gets a bit boring after a few times.

I emailed Garmin and got a reply 6 days later and they suggested sending it back for repair. They wanted £60.00 to do so.... thats half the cost of the unit originally - I'm still using the knuckle !! :(

I sent Garmin an email yesterday as regard my Vista C rubber....it needs doing for the SECOND time and i recieved this reply....

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe

I think that the next step is for you to send your GPS back to us.

We have a tracking system in place, if you can let me know the information below I will generate a reference number for you, and let you know how to ship your GPS to us.

Please can you tell me your:-

Full Name :

Contact Telephone Number :

Address :

Postcode :

This repair can be carried out free of charge.

Regards,

Andy Phillips

Product Support Garmin (Europe) Ltd

I liked the free of charge bit..so it seems their pricing is selective...I have to say that ive never had anything less than superb customer service from Garmin and would be somewhat miffed if i had to pay for the rubber surround issue which seems very common..Would be intresting to know what particular models are affected or if its a widespread problem throughout the entire range..

Collectively we have 2 Etrex yellows,a Venture and a Vista C in the caching stable....ONLY the vista C has been affected...Who else has had the problem & what models affected ?

Would be interesting to know what particular models are affected or if its a widespread problem throughout the entire range..

Collectively we have 2 Etrex yellows,a Venture and a Vista C in the caching stable....ONLY the vista C has been affected...Who else has had the problem & what models affected ?

I used a Legend from the time I started caching in September 2002 right up until about 6 months ago when I upgraded to a 60CSx. The legend was used to locate well over 1,000 caches and is still in pristine condition. The rubber sealing strip has never showed the slightest sign of coming adrift.

Maybe my grubby mitts aren't as hot and sweaty as yours :P

Would be interesting to know what particular models are affected or if its a widespread problem throughout the entire range..

I used a Legend from the time I started caching in September 2002 right up until about 6 months ago when I upgraded to a 60CSx. The legend was used to locate well over 1,000 caches and is still in pristine condition. The rubber sealing strip has never showed the slightest sign of coming adrift.

Maybe my grubby mitts aren't as hot and sweaty as yours :P

My experience is the same as TDWs. There was no probs at all with my Venture, but the rubber started to part company with my Vista C within months of getting it. The glue oozing out the sides was not nice. This started in June last year when it was somewhat hot, but I admit to always having hot hands (but not sweaty!). Now I have a Vista CX and so far so good (fingers crossed).

We sent our 60CS back for repair outside warranty and we were quoted a max price of about £90 depending on what was needed, no mention of free during my conversations with them. Imagine our delight when a brand new 60CS turned up in the post FoC. I have heard of this many times before, not sure why they quote a price then don't charge, but hey you won't hear me complaining :P.

Having now got through to Garmin they have agreed to restick my rubber sleeve under warranty (well it did fail in <12 months) with a 48 hour turnaround promised. I'll send in next week and will be happy if they deliver as promised. :)

FollowMeChaps

UPDATE: All's well that ends well - having got through they did repair my loose rubber sleeve at no cost (well it had come off in <1 year!) and turned it around in 3 days. I'm now back to being happy with Garmin - though unimpressed with their website's 'contact us' lack of response.

Advice to others: use one of the contacts in this thread!

FMC

I logged a query regarding what Mapping software to use with my 60csx. The reply I got was from:

Edward.Webber@garmin.com

In the past I have also had an email from Andy.Phillips@garmin.com.

Both replies were very quick, very helpful. I have nothing but praise for Garmin (at the moment) <_<

Resurrecting this thread - Andy Phillips is still providing great service at Garmin (as are they), via the email address previously listed.

Sent an e-mail - same day response, and provided reference number and address to post GPSr in (loose rubber surround.....).

Received a refurbed unit in immaculate condition (and free lanyard) within three days of posting to them.

Just make sure though that you've backed up your waypoints - we had them on Mapsource fortunately, otherwise they'd have been gone.

A good thread as I see.. I am adding to it as I have a faulty Legend that needs repair.

My first email bounced and I see it is due to the earliest reference to Andys address (phillips not Philips)

Correct email it would seem is :-

Andy.Phillips@garmin.com

I will keep the thread informed of my progress..

Cheers