Plasticized(vinyl) vs. non-plasticized coin pages and flips

slowdownracer

Some coin supply vendors say that plasticized(vinyl) coin pages and flips may cause damage to coins over long-term storage. Can somebody who knows please reply with any info on the truth in this matter?

I try to keep all my coins in non-plasticized pages and flips, but does it really matter?

The only experience I have is this - I have a shiny nickel coin that I carry in a plasticized flip in my pocket at all times. After a while it gets a hazy/foggy appearance to it, but it wipes away with a soft cloth.

Can there be long term damage? Does shiny finish vs. antique finish on the coin make any difference to possible damage?

Thanks to whoever replies. I think we all ought to know. I don't. :lol:

I'm in Michigan and I've found that the better archival quality flips do not hold up to shipping in the winter time because they get brittle. It might be ok just shipping one coin at a time but its a big problem with bulk shipping.

That does not address damage to the coin but it is something else to consider if you will be shipping the coins.

I was reading and thought to myself is "plasticized" a word, cause if it isn't it should be. lol

It is. And I think I spelled it right. :lol:

I have been storing my coins in plastic sleeves, and find a few things about these,

1/ coins fall out and you risk loosing these if you are not watching.

2/ the sleeves tear and you are replacing the sleeves regularly

3/ coins are nevr the same size so fitting them into one size makes it tough at times.

So after reviewing some of the discussions regarding storage of coins, I started placing my coins into thick baseball card holders and storing them individualy. Not only looks cool, but know when I trade those recieveing them will like the display quality they make.

One good sourse I found was, http://www.geocoin-info.net/FAQ/Basics.html#A8

And I am relativly new at this..every day is an adventure.

When it comes to logo type coins such as geocoins, the regular vinyl flips work fine. When people say you should store your coins in archival type holders, it is in reference to currency coins where historical preservation is of utmost priority to maintain monetary value. Numismatic coins stored in this manner will typically not be moved, opened, or handled much. The downfall of archival type vinyl holders is they will not hold up as well as many regular vinyl holders. They are brittle, and more so when exposed to the cold. However, if you think your geocoins are worth the extra money to have good protective holders, then the baseball card or Airtite holders are the best. However, these do not prevent corrosion; they only slow it down, significantly.

The haze you get on your nickel coin is normal oxidation. You can see the oxidation on 5 cent nickels, but usually more extreme due to the abuse they get. Gold is the only finish that will not tarnish, rust, or oxidize; and copper is the fastest to corrode. This corrosion will occur due to the humidity that builds in your pocket and also from humidity in ambient air. I have coins lying around, both open to the air and in vinyl flips, that have been exposed to ambient air for over 15 years with very little, if any, visual distortion from corrosion (except diamond cuts, polished copper, and real silver); and I have lived in some high humidity areas. For this reason I have not found it worth the cost to place logo coins in plastic or archival holders unless they are going to be handled frequently.

Now, there are certain types of coins that will need holders to allow them to maintain a decent finish. These are coins without plating. The most common type is a solid brass coin with no plating. They actually are made very similar to tokens for video game machines. The brass will oxidize and, if not taken care of quickly, will cause pitting in the metal. Brass coins with plating will remain unaffected (depending on the typed of plating) unless the plating wears off from frequent handling.

The above information relates to coins being kept in collections, not the coins that are out traveling. You never know what a coin will experience in the wild, and will just have to accept some kind wear and corrosion.

Placing a coin in your pocket, which is in a vinyl holder, is almost just like placing it in your pocket without a vinyl holder. Only hard plastic holders can provide a decent kind of protection when you expose a coin to that kind of handling.

Edited by CoinsAndPins