Diabetic micro containers

The Puzzler

I want to share an inspiration I had, thanks to my son's recent diagnosis as having type-1 diabetes . . . those little test-strip containers make outstanding micro-cache canisters!

The canisters are slightly smaller than film canisters and have a water-tight, attached lid. They are also lined with a dust-free, solid desiccant material that dries out any moisture that gets inside, so paper log pages stay dry, or get dried out if they are rained on while being logged.

Leave it to a geocacher to discover a small water-tight container and get all excited.

I tested these canisters by closing a dripping wet piece of paper into one. Over the period of a day and a half the paper was dried completely. So, I soaked the paper again. And again, the paper dried completely. I’m sure there is a limit to the amount of water the desiccant can absorb, but clearly it is enough to keep all but the most abused geocache dry for a very long time through many rainy days/months of logging. And heck, even if you are not concerned about moisture, the size and the attached lid still make these one of the best micro-cache containers I've ever seen (I'm not a real fan of "ultra-micros).

I am interested in trying to market these little gems with 100% of the procedes going to support diabetes research. I just posted a set of three of these with some custom log pages on ebay. Please let me know what you think and if you have any other ideas on how to promote diabetes support with geocaching. I really appreciate the GC.com travel bug support of diabetes. I think it is exceptionally cool.

My son tests enough to generate another empty canister about every two or three days, so we probably have about 150 of these saved up right now. I expect there are other diabetic geocachers out there that could contribute to this cause as well.

That's funny . . . once one becomes a cacher, all they see are potential hiding spots and potential new containers. :lol:

I bet we would see more of these special test strip containers if there were more cachers with the unfortunate situation of experiencing diabetes . . . maybe it is a good thing that we do not. :P

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

I am the Production Manager for an Automation Company in northern California. We build Test Strip processing equipment for all diabetic strip manufactures. We use hundreds of thousand of these vials in all sizes and colors. We generally throw them away or grind them up. These vials are clean and have only been used for machine testing (no end user use). I am currently using these for all our micro caches. They also work well for keeping matches dry.

Edited by BlueButton

I get them from a friend at work and they are great containers. I have found round rare earth magnets that are the same diameter as the inside of the containers I use. I glue one in the bottom and it works great as a magnetic micro. Plus it is water proof unlike most magnetic micros. Also, I have drilled holes into rocks, wood and other materials and glued the containers into the bottom of these items. Again they are water proof and give you a lot of variety as to the materials you put the cache in.

I used one of these as the final layer of protection in an underwater cache (one of three layers of protection) and it has worked very well. The cache is under 12 -14 feet of water and the water pressure is a formidable enemy. The containers I use have a rubber liner and the log book is tough to "slide" out of the container. To remedy this I glued a piece of bamboo skewer to a couple of paper strips, when it is all rolled up the bamboo sticks up over top of the paper allowing the log to be removed very easily. The test strip containers have a real good waterproof seal and they are very durable.

A relative saves them for me so I have several but I have only placed one so far so I can't tell how they will work when exposed to weather and UV.

I have used these containers and have had great results with them. I'm not diabetic myself, but I work in a pharmacy so I'm able to get people to save them for me.

OOh! Perfect! I'm in if you want some, anybody! #2 daughter is type 1 diabetic, and like someone else who logged in here, we have TWO diabetes bugs we've turned loose on the world!

I used one of these as a container for the first cache we put out. It has been out for about a year in Vancouver on the Wet Coast of Canada and only now I am getting comments about the log being a bit damp, so they do keep the moisture out very well.

I cut pieces of paper and stapled them over a partially flattened out paper clip that I then cut off to fit the container. The paper clip is an L shape with the foot of the L on the bottom of the log, so people can grab the top of the paper clip and pull out the whole log which is rolled up to fit inside the container. (kind of hard to describe, but it works).

I highly recommend them and consider them much better containers than the old film containers.

loungelions

Good idea. The trouble is fitting a micro log inside them without crumpling it beyond recognition. :rolleyes:

I generated a custom log page for these test-strip micro containers as an added value to help sell them on ebay as a fund raiser for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF).

The custom log page is slightly smaller than a half sheet of paper, and if folded into thirds and then rolled up, fits perfectly.

I would be happy to share the log sheet with anyone interested if I can find a place to post the MSWord file that generated it. . . then again, maybe I should say I'm happy to share it with anyone that makes a verifiable (and tax deductible) charitable donation to JDRF, which can be done via my JDRF "Walk to Cure Diabetes" fund raising page? :wub:

By the way, I'm happy to send these micro containers and logsheets to anyone that wants them. Just drop a donation onto the above linked fund raising page and send me a note with your request and mailing address . . . how about a minimum donation of $2 per container, plus $2 shipping for up to five containers (logsheets included free - that's my donation)?

The Puzzler

. . . then again, maybe I should say I'm happy to share it with anyone that makes a verifiable (and tax deductible) charitable donation to JDRF, which can be done via my JDRF "Walk to Cure Diabetes" fund raising page? :rolleyes:

Heck, better than a donation, if anyone has or wants to sign up for a JDRF walk in your area and raise funds for it, I'll send you all the cool little micro caches and log pages you want at my expense (within reason of course).

I feel like a McDonald's executive doing that co-promotion stuff with movie theme toys to promote the movie and get kids into McDonald's all that the same time.

If I had thought of it before I started my family team, I'd have done it, but Maybe someone could start of Geocacher's Walk Team?

Well I was just told I am a type 2 :rolleyes: and so far I have brought it under control with diet and excersice :rolleyes: (geo caching is one form) and I have been thinking about using the container for a cache.

I am not going to do the walk but I am going to do a bike ride in the fall I figure that is a way to get more excersice if I walk I do not have to do more training but to ride the bike I need to train :rolleyes: I have not riden a bike in many years try decades other than around the campsite or block.