Unit Stops Navigating?

azspecter

Hey guys-

Went out caching yesterday- I'm using Garmin 60CSx. I would autoroute and follow road to the next cache- then hit stop navigating once I parked my car. Everything would be fine until I got out on foot. I'd walk about 15-20' and the navigation arrow would stop moving. It'd just freeze in place. Everything else on the GPSr was working- compass, elevation, mapping, etc etc- but the black position arrow wouldn't move and follow my tracking. That makes it very difficult to navigate to a cache when it won't show your current position! So, I would turn off/on the GPSr, wait for it to find satellites, and then it would work fine. Sometimes until I found the cache, sometimes for 3 min and do the same thing. When I reboot it up, it shows all the tracks from when I was walking around and it was frozen- so it's still receiving position coords and movement info into the unit- just the map screen wouldn't move the arrow with my current position.

The only solution I could find was to keep turning on/off the GPSr. If I was moving in the car, it worked perfectly- it's only when we would stop and go walk out on foot. It has worked fine for the previous 2 trips as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I kinda need my GPS to show me my current position while I'm moving!

Thanks!

For starters, you don't want to select "Stop Navigation," as this tells the GPS not to keep sending you towards the active waypoint. When you get out of the car, you want to switch from autorouting on the roads to "Offroad" mode. Also, it is normal for there to be a bit of a lag with showing your movements, especially if you are starting and stopping. The faster you are walking, the better job the GPS does in telling you where you are relative to the cache, and in pointing you towards it.

Since this question relates to GPS performance and features, I'm moving your thread over to the GPS Units and Software Forum.

To get the GPSr to prompt you for "follow road" or "off road" Press MENU » MENU » 'Setup' » ENTR » 'Routing' » ENTR, and set Guidance Method (the first drop down) to "Prompted". A forum discussion can be found here. That way, every time you calculate or manually recalculate a route, the unit will ask you whether you want to follow the road (to the nearby parking spot) or go off road to the cache, after you've gotten as close as you can by car.

Hey guys-

Went out caching yesterday- I'm using Garmin 60CSx. I would autoroute and follow road to the next cache- then hit stop navigating once I parked my car. Everything would be fine until I got out on foot. I'd walk about 15-20' and the navigation arrow would stop moving. It'd just freeze in place. Everything else on the GPSr was working- compass, elevation, mapping, etc etc- but the black position arrow wouldn't move and follow my tracking. That makes it very difficult to navigate to a cache when it won't show your current position! So, I would turn off/on the GPSr, wait for it to find satellites, and then it would work fine. Sometimes until I found the cache, sometimes for 3 min and do the same thing. When I reboot it up, it shows all the tracks from when I was walking around and it was frozen- so it's still receiving position coords and movement info into the unit- just the map screen wouldn't move the arrow with my current position.

The only solution I could find was to keep turning on/off the GPSr. If I was moving in the car, it worked perfectly- it's only when we would stop and go walk out on foot. It has worked fine for the previous 2 trips as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I kinda need my GPS to show me my current position while I'm moving!

Thanks!

I experience the exact same thing with my 60cs. Oh and it doesn't do it every time. I read the other day to just use the recalculate and then select off road. Once we loose some of this snow on the ground I'll give it a try.

Your problem is basically due to the fact that the GPS is locked to the road. If you kept walking away from the road, it would eventually un-stick itself and show you your current position.

I've found that the x series don't really need the lock-to-road function because they're so accurate. OTOH, you could leave the lock-to-road enabled and simply re-calculate and choose off-road, which would unlock you from the road while you're navigating.

GeoBC

I just responded to the same problem with a different description:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=154729

When on road after 3.10 I noticed it. When I got anywhere near the cache not using "off road", it would say "arrived" and shut off the pointer.

Menu->Menu->Setup->Routing-Guidance

snap to road tells the map page to show your location always on the road.

off road guidance tells the navigator to not give you "turn by turn" instructions.