Help with Cx vs CSx

aquafuzz

What is the big deal with the Garmin Cx vs the CSx? I know the "S" is for sensors (compass and altimeter), but what is the atvantage of this? What does the "x" represent? They both have Sirf technology and the other features are the same. So what do I get from one that I dont get from the other?

Thanks,

aquafuzz

C=color unit

S=sensors

x=Sirf III chipset

I own a Garmin 60Cx and decided on it rather than the 60CSx, because of having a previous GPS unit with sensors that I never used. I had a Magellan Sportrak Color (different brand I know) that had the electronic compass and a barometric sensor. I never used them, so decided not to pay the extra when upgrading to a new unit.

In the Garmin line the x means that it takes external memory as microSD. In the handhelds, only the 60C(S)x and 76C(S)x have the SirfIII chip. The LegendCx and VentureCx and VistaCx do also have the microSD memory, but they do not have sirfIII chips.

I chose the 60Cx over the 60CSx because the barometric and magnetic sensors do not add value for how I use the gpsr. The sensors are nice, but they add complexity and a greater risk of failure.

Without the sensors my 60Cx can still tell me the altitude if I have a good 4-satellite fix (good chance of this with a sirfIII chip), and all I have to do to get a compass direction is move a few feet and let the gpsr detect my motion.

Yes, the satellite-based altitude has a larger error bar than the barometer, but it is good enough for my needs. Besides, to get an accurate altitude you still have to correct the barometer for weather changes. Why bother with that when the satellites will triangulate the same regardless of weather?

We're going to hike a rails-to-trails project today. They have not yet completed the trail, but we want to see how the old rail alignment wound up through the hills. The Mapsource TOPO shows the old railroad, so we should always know that we are on the only rr bed. Even under dense tree cover my 60Cx gets a good satellite fix with the sirfIII chip. Can't do that with my Legend.

Yup, C=color, S=sensors (compass/altimeter), x=expandable memory (microSD card).

The 60Cx is about $35 more than the 60CSx.

To be honest, I've never felt a need for having the sensors, but when buying my latest one, I figured for $35 I might as well get it and see if I liked it. After all, the compass is easy enough to turn off (press and hold one button).

I'll have to say that I really do like the electronic compass when using it while hiking. I still carry a magnetic compass for use with maps and for more accurate bearings, but it is pretty nice to have the compass functional even when I'm standing still.

As for the altimeter, here in the flatlands of Illinois I don't have much use for it, but when I travel east or west it will be fun to see the change in altitude.

I chose the Csx over the Cx strictly for the barometer. I've been struck by lightning twice and when I'm on the trail in the summer and that barometer starts to nose dive, I head for the truck. :lol:

El Diablo

You need to get rid of that pitchfork, it must be acting as a lightning rod. Glad you weren't too seriouly hurt, hopefully.

What is the big deal with the Garmin Cx vs the CSx? I know the "S" is for sensors (compass and altimeter), but what is the atvantage of this? What does the "x" represent? They both have Sirf technology and the other features are the same. So what do I get from one that I dont get from the other?

Thanks,

aquafuzz

The difference is the electronic compass and barometer, but other differences can also be present depending on what line of units you are talking about.

The GPSMAP 60Cx, GPSMAP 60CSx, GPSMAP 76Cx, and GPSMAP CSx all use the SiRFstarIII chipset for reception (check Garmin's webpage for each unit and you will find it listed under "Specifications"). The Extrex line does not use this chipset even though they have Cx and CSx designations.

I have used an original eTrex Vista for a number of years and found I never used the compass or barometer in the unit. As someone else pointed out, with four or more satellites a properly equipped GPS unit will provide the altitude. I would trust some of the pocket field weather barometers/wind meters more than a barometer on a GPS unit.

The reception and lock with the SiRFstarIII chipset is simply amazing.

My GPSMap 60Cx will get a lock on six satellites when in the basement with no windows or doors. During a recent ice storm I tested the unit inside the house with a roof covered with ice and snow, clouds in the sky, and sleet, snow and freezing rain falling. I was able to get a lock on 10 satellites with WAAS adjustment and have a lock of 19 feet accuracy.

So if you need a compass and barometer, get the a GPSMAP 60CSx or 76CSx. If you don't need a compass or barometer then get the GPSMAP 60Cx or 76Cx.

I am deeply impressed with the SiRFstarIII chipset. I wouldn't consider a unit that does not contain it.

Edited by cmdigests

Yup, C=color, S=sensors (compass/altimeter), x=expandable memory (microSD card).

The 60Cx is about $35 more than the 60CSx.

To be honest, I've never felt a need for having the sensors, but when buying my latest one, I figured for $35 I might as well get it and see if I liked it. After all, the compass is easy enough to turn off (press and hold one button).

I'll have to say that I really do like the electronic compass when using it while hiking. I still carry a magnetic compass for use with maps and for more accurate bearings, but it is pretty nice to have the compass functional even when I'm standing still.

As for the altimeter, here in the flatlands of Illinois I don't have much use for it, but when I travel east or west it will be fun to see the change in altitude.

I don't think S=sensors.

The Vista CX also has compass & barometer.

Yep, as others have said pretty much just the barometer and electronic compass.

The barometer is nice if you are in a place where seeing weather come in due to terrain is not easy, or if weather tends to come in quickly. I know watching the trend on my suunto watch has saved my butt a couple times on the trail from incoming bad weather. So if you use the function, it can be a pretty nice feature. As for as accurate altimeter readings, it's probably somewhat more accurate than the gps readings if you have a known benchmark to calibrate to every day. In some places I've been the gps altitudes are very good and in some places they have been really bad. Of course the barometer altitude is all out the window if you have a weather front come in too, so neither is perfect.

As to the electronic compass, after testing my 76csx out quite a bit I pretty much consider their 2 axis electronic compass near useless for anything aside a very very general direction, such as "what way is east". The unit is way way too sensitive to tilt. They now have a "hold level" warning if you tilt the unit too much, but I can get as much as a 80 degree swing in the indicated heading by tilting up or down between the hold level warnings. Granted by the time the hold level warnings come on its obvious you are really tilting the unit, but even trying to be careful with the tilt it's not uncommon for me to see 20 degree swings in the indicated heading. The warning should either come on with less tilt, or they should have built in a bubble level similar to what suunto or other electronic compasses use. Better yet use a third axis compass that is not affected by tilting.

For even rough navigation those kinds of errors are totally unacceptable. You can go buy a $15 budget mirror compass from silva or suunto etc. and be much better off than the electronic compass garmin has.

I know the "S" is for sensors (compass and altimeter), but what is the atvantage of this?

Having an on-board compass built into a GPS provides a bearing arrow even when you are standing still. I find this a great advantage as otherwise you have to move or use a separate handheld compass for direction tie-ing up your second hand. It's also easier to do or create offset caches where compass direction is a requirement. Projecting waypoints is also naturally done with on-board compasses.

As far as reliability, I have had my Vista GPS for 6 years and the compass still works.