exploristn210

sand wolf

:huh: I have a explorist 210 i installed the geocashing softwere in my computer(vista). I cannot send my geocashes to my gps. It is hooked up the right way and my computer does reconize it(the gps). But when I send it to my gps my computer say's that their is no gps connected. I called the no support line 5 days ago with this problem they said they would call back.( not yet have the called.)

It is hooked up the right way and my computer does reconize it(the gps). But when I send it to my gps my computer say's that their is no gps connected.

Please clarify this, as it sounds contradictory. How does your computer recognize it? (I'm presuming/hoping that it opens a Windows Explorer window displaying the contents of the GPS memory as an external hard drive). But then how does the computer not see the GPS?

Edited by embra

Seems to me that you have to save it to your hard drive and then copy the file to the appropriate place on the eXplorist.

The explorist 210 comes with a piece of software, Geocaching Manager. It is point and click piece of software, converts pocket queries directly to magellan format and will load them to the gps when it is connected. It is, or should be a very easy process. There has to be something very simple (and I do this sort of thing all the time) that is missing here, something that has been overlooked. The idea that the cable is hooked up wrong is one, although the computer would not recognize the gps if it was. Missing some crucial piece, but then if he had that he wouldn't be tossing this out to the forums....

Just a check, my stepwise process:

1. get a PQ from geocaching.com

2. unzip the pocket query onto my desktop (easier to find)

3. plug my eXplorist into the computer (OK screw the cable into the back, tail running down the GPSr)

4. power on the GPSr. note - front of GPSr should say "in file transfer mode" or something similar.

5. wait for the explorer window to open showing my folders on the SD Card

6. open magellan geocache manager.

7. select new file, by clicking on the white page on the tool bar (clears out the caches listed in the memory)

8. click on "File" then "Open" and navigate to the .gpx file I unzipped in the pocket query

9. the caches should load onto the geocache manager screen

10. click the satellite button on the task bar (send to GPS)

11. give the file a name, that is easy to understand (Like Home or Route)

12. 5 seconds later get a message that the file was successfully transferred.

13. Turn off GPSr and disconnect from the cable

14. Go caching!

Just a check, my stepwise process:

1. get a PQ from geocaching.com

2. unzip the pocket query onto my desktop (easier to find)

3. plug my eXplorist into the computer (OK screw the cable into the back, tail running down the GPSr)

4. power on the GPSr. note - front of GPSr should say "in file transfer mode" or something similar.

5. wait for the explorer window to open showing my folders on the SD Card

6. open magellan geocache manager.

7. select new file, by clicking on the white page on the tool bar (clears out the caches listed in the memory)

8. click on "File" then "Open" and navigate to the .gpx file I unzipped in the pocket query

9. the caches should load onto the geocache manager screen

10. click the satellite button on the task bar (send to GPS)

11. give the file a name, that is easy to understand (Like Home or Route)

12. 5 seconds later get a message that the file was successfully transferred.

13. Turn off GPSr and disconnect from the cable

14. Go caching!

Hey, that's pretty good, do you give classes?

Seriously, it is as easy as that, isn't it. And then choosing the file under preferences, active setup, geocaches...

It is hooked up the right way and my computer does reconize it(the gps). But when I send it to my gps my computer say's that their is no gps connected.

Please clarify this, as it sounds contradictory. How does your computer recognize it? (I'm presuming/hoping that it opens a Windows Explorer window displaying the contents of the GPS memory as an external hard drive). But then how does the computer not see the GPS?

This is the question that i would like to know also I have followed the stepps that i have recevied from everbody( thanks very much.) I have the gps opened up in my widow's I can even view what is on the gps(poi's that I have put in by hand.) but when i send geocash information from my geocash manager that i go got with the gps is says it is not connected. I had a freind that was able to geocashes on my gps for me so i think it is time to talk to the computer builder now.

Man, I hate to jump into something that I may only know enough to be dangerous BUT... I am...

This could, very well, be a Windows Vista issue. Vista has some very serious compatibility issues. Eventually, there will be fixes for most (if not all) of these, but for the time being, it could be frustrating.

It sounds like the OP has had success with a different computer (which may have been running XP).

We just bought a new laptop for my son, Vista equipped (reluctant choice, but Windows XP is GONE). Ended up having to spend another $500 just to buy new software and new accessories for his sound engineering job. All because Windows Vista was not compatible with the older software and accessories.

Again, just a thought.

Hello,

If you've already solved the problem, then please disregard these comments.

Firstly, you need to see the waypoints in Geocaching Manager. So go out and get the file, gpx, from wherever you stored it and insure that you have it loaded in Geocaching Manager. As a previous cacher said, make sure the GPS in in the "file transfer mode". Hit the satellite icon in the program and you should be good to go. If this fails, then you might just make this quick check before calling Magellan and/or chucking the program:

Go to Control Panel

Select "Performance or Maintenance"

System

Hardware

Device Manager

Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controller

Click on the plus sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controller

Look for a yellow exclamation mark "!".

If you see this then you've got a driver problem.

Try reloading the disk that came with the GPS

If none of his has helped, hit Start, Run and browse to the location of the drivers. Look for a setup file and try to run the driver installation program from that location.

If all else fails, take a look at your cable, try another USB port.

Call Magellan. <_<

Hope this helps. I've usually been able to track down my problems this way.