Micros? Kosher?

Lucky46

I'm not paperless yet, and I went up there without the details. I found it was a micro when I got home. I thought............@#$%^&*()_+. What?????????????? No swag???????????????? :huh: Anyway, I love the country and it was a nice drive, but I was just wondering if the trip was worth it for the hider?

I guess you didnt think it was too bad

canyon view

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...8d-9bdd273f4691

"Obviously my hilight."

"Thanks for bringing me back to this spot"

"Great view and great drive to here"

it may not be kosher, but you enjoyed it right?

Edit: late reply......thats wrong of someone to put regular if its a micro :huh:

Edited by unicyclist

It's Geocaching alright!!! You are in it for the hunt....if their is a micro involved and you don't really want to go to extremes to find a micro than don't hunt the cache!

Is it kosher? Yes it is kosher because you will always find someone who will find most any cache fun and exciting! I personally don't have a problem with it on the finding standpoint. I would not hide a cache like that not because it is not kosher, but because I like regular caches.

Unicyclist went to my last cache which was a regular cache. I hit that one on the way back from the non/accessable one. I guess my question is ...... What's in it for me? :huh: Any way, I agree, it's the hunt and you can put anything anywhere you want. I was just wondering why anyone would go that far for something you usually find in town.

Unicyclist went to my last cache which was a regular cache. I hit that one on the way back from the non/accessable one. I guess my question is ...... What's in it for me? :huh: Any way, I agree, it's the hunt and you can put anything anywhere you want. I was just wondering why anyone would go that far for something you usually find in town.

yea, I just figured it is was the cache in question since its the only one that has a log for today B)

I see a lot of micros in town but not many out and about. I chased one today for 6 miles on a muddy 4/wheel drive road. Took me 2 hours to get to the drift that turned me around. I was game but is this kosher?. Should you go this far for a micro??????

Only you can answer that question. Why worry what anyone else thinks? You certainly don't need my approval, or anyone elses, to allow yourself to enjoy any geocache.

When taken in total, was your adventure a net positive experience? Whether you say "yes" or "no," there's your answer to your original question.

Geocaching, like life, is what you make of it. Don't let anyone tell you which caches you're allowed to enjoy.

I generally don't have anything against micros! (Excuse me, I have some really goooooood blues going in the background). You have to understand, I have only been doing this for a month or so, so does that make me a journiman? Anyway, Unicycle got it right about the one I did find. (Regular cache, and a really nice one at that! With a die for view, so I guess the whole day was worth it. For suuuuuuuure!!!!!!!!) I was just curious about who would go to the limit for a key holder or whatever?

I see a lot of micros in town but not many out and about. I chased one today for 6 miles on a muddy 4/wheel drive road. Took me 2 hours to get to the drift that turned me around. I was game but is this kosher?. Should you go this far for a micro?

Question - had it been a traditional ammo can, would you still have turned around at that drift?

For the Riffster Clan, the deciding factor in, "How far will you go?", is a particular caches LQ, or Lameness Quotient. Size has little to do with how lame a cache is, although most folks who create uninspired hides tend to gravitate toward film canisters for some reason. Maybe because they are free and take little effort to hide? Don't know. OK, OK, back on topic: You enjoyed yourself, which is the only necessary Litmus test for a cache's quality. I probably would've hunted it, unless I saw a lot of "TNLNSL" logs.

On the subject of hides, I subscribe to the axiom of, "Let the location determine the container", so it is highly unlikely that I would ever hide a micro in the woods unless it was part of a multi, but that's why there's chocolate and all those nasty, evil flavors that everybody should hate. :huh: The basic premise of this axiom, (for us), is that, with everything else being equal, (clever hide/nice spot/well maintained container), you will please more folks with an ammo can than you will with a hide-a-key. After all, how many serious forum threads start out with a phrase similar to "I hate ammo cans!"? Since the purpose of every one of my hides is to bring enjoyment to others, I try and please the most people I can.

that's why there's chocolate and all those nasty, evil flavors that everybody should hate

Riffster! right AGAIN :huh:

I like micros in the woods. Really. Though the proverbial haystack hide is not my favorite, anywhere. The worst of those I've seen are urban. Mulch dives, hedge hunts.... anyway, the cache size as a hunter means next to nothing to me. As my favorite caches to hunt are longish multis, which generally means hunting a series of micros! the final could be a micro too, for all I care.

I've pulled many of my micros in favor of ammo cans because I'm fond of low maintenance hides. And ammo cans are easy to own.

I think it really depends on the person, I personally don't think "killing yourself" for a log-only micro well hidden in the deep wodds is cool, but different strokes for different folks and if you're going to allow them in many urban places that may otherwise not be "cachable", you have to allow them here. There's nothing that says you have to go for every cache in existence. My wife and kids, after a nice hike in the woods want to be able to trade or at least add or take a travel bug.

The only "woods micro" I ever did was by myself and it was mainly because it was something I could do from work on lunch break and the clue made it not be something that would take my whole lunch break to find.

We did hide a "woods micro", but it is a short walk on a wooded trail in an urban nature preserve that really doesn't have a spot big enough to hide a standard container. Our other 2 "micro hides" are in open areas in parks that I think you would definitely find to be kosher.

I don't usually venture too far away for just one cache, but when I'm in the area I scope out ALL the caches nearby and at least check out the area. Once there, many factors are involved in my choice to attempt or not to attempt, this includes who I'm with, how I'm dressed and the location. I really don't care for micros and I particularly dislike looking for a micro or worse, a nano, in the middle of the woods. Most of the time, I just go for it even though I mumble, huff and puff the whole way. It still is fun. My whole motto for geocaching is "Just do what you want to do - or not".

Edited by anaddicted23

What does it for me is the fact that I have lived in this area for 37 years and in the last month or so I have geocached in some spots very close by that I didn't even know existed. I didn't mind the rock crawling yesterday. I actually like that sort of thing. I was disappointed to not be able to reach the goal, Micro or not. It's is amazing to me to have been able to reach a lot of them this time of year. I just tried to get a little too high on the mountain. Being a bit of a beginner, a few of the micros have been a little frustrating for me to find. I'm sure as time goes by I'll get the eye for it. I'm probably a little partial to regular caches. I don't give a hoot about the swag, except if I see something I think will catch the eye of one of my grandkids, I do some trading. Actually, on the last one yesterday I found something that caught my eye. I know a lot of folks cache with their kids, and I think when I get ready to hide some I will try to make it as interesting as possible for the young ones. I think they like the swag.

I disagree with the notion that micros should only be used in the city, and larger containers should be used in the woods. Just because a location CAN hide a larger container, doesn't make it wrong for someone to put a smaller on there if that's what THEY wanted to hide.

If you want a larger container there, then you should have hidden one before he did.

It also seems like some believe that the more out of the way a cache is the larger the container should be. A 20 mile hike should not end in a micro? Why? It's a cache. There's a log book. It's something you found that other people didn't know about. Nobody is making money with the swag they find.

The only thing I agree with, is that a 1/1 rated cache should be so easy, even a caveman could find it.

While hunting with another cacher, I once completed a multi-cache with an undisclosed number of stages, the first stages all being micros. One after another, we found the well hidden micros as we got further and further away from our vehicle. My biggest fear was not the distance travelled so much as weather or not we would be able to find the next micro. The GPS gods were good to us that day as we were always within feet of the tiny little containers. Hidden at the base of bushes in their root structures or higher up in the branches. I even found one under a rock. All found within 5 minutes of searching. But even if we hadn't found one of the caches, the view was fantastic! In a limestone canyon with a small mountain river with no one else in sight. The hunt even turned up an old log cabin. At last one of the micros gave the coords to the final cache, an ammo can......... It took us over an hour to find that ammo can. Hidden on the side of the canyon, we searched in an ever widening circle, each with our own GPS. We finally found it about 100ft from where both GPSs showed it should be. :huh:

If the coords are good, micros can be found but if the coords are bad or satelite reception poor, ammo cans can be a challenge. B)

I'm in it for the adventure. I like the long drives and hikes. The size of container doesn't bother me as long as the person placing the cache gives the correct coords. Although I will admit, trying to find a tiny green painted container in a bunch of evergreens where a larger green container could've been hidden takes some of the fun away. B)