Coin "Bag" Idea

sweetlife

Our coin collection is growing and we like to take it to events and let everyone discover our coins,

To keep them off our holding list of coins and travelbugs in our profile, we created a cache that we never sent to a approver. just a place to "dump" our activated coins.

Here is a idea

How about a "coin bag", a place on your profile where you could put all your trackable items in it, we spent the better part of 3 days logging our coins in and out of the last event, if there was this feature, would it be possible to pick up an drop your "coin bag" into a event so all your trackables would show there, then after the event it could just be picked up, (this would prob cut down on server traffic, we had 600 emails just from the coin pick ups and drop offs, and then picking them up again from the event and placing them into our coin dump cache.

would this idea be possible???

On the same lines, any coins or trackable items in a "coin bag" should only be able to be discovered and not picked up by anyone.

What do you all think about this idea???

each of our 170+ coins had to be picked up from our "coin dump" (first set of 170 logs and emails), then all coins could be dropped into the event in one log ( one log but 170 more emails) then each coin had to be picked up from the event (another set of 170 logs and emails) then (one more log and another 170 emails) dropping all the coins back into our "coin dump".

Clear as mud yet???

I got my self confused trying to explain this :huh:

Total counts

680+ emails to our account

340+ individual logs on coins

= lot of work just to have the correct mileage on our coins

sweetlife

the next event we go to will be even worse, between trading at the event, purchases at the event, and the never ending coins in the mailbox we have added 30 coins to our collection this week

a feature like this would be a big help

Total counts

the next event we go to will be even worse, between trading at the event, purchases at the event, and the never ending coins in the mailbox we have added 30 coins to our collection this week

It sound like you need to hire a geo-secretary, err, geo-administrative assistant! :lol:

:P

Total counts

It sound like you need to hire a geo-secretary, err, geo-administrative assistant! :P

I still need a job :lol:

each of our 170+ coins had to be picked up from our "coin dump" (first set of 170 logs and emails), then all coins could be dropped into the event in one log ( one log but 170 more emails) then each coin had to be picked up from the event (another set of 170 logs and emails) then (one more log and another 170 emails) dropping all the coins back into our "coin dump".

Why bother with dropping the coins in the event. Why not just leave them where they are and let people discover them from there. That is what I usually do with mine. I assume you are physically taking the coins to the event. The only thing you accomplish by dropping them in the event is to gain mileage. Most personal collections don't need mileage.

Also if you "hire" a geoassistant, they will end up wanting time off, pay raises, early retirement, blah, blah,.....

:lol:

After the event, we end up going thru all of our coins anyways, as some people still do not know how to "discover" items. our coins end up being "held" by other geocachers or they notice what they did and then drop them into the event as they cannot access the cache where i "hide" them.

I do drop them into events so that they can gain mileage, I started doing this when we only had 3 coins in our collection, and since I started doing this at our first event, feel that I cant stop now.

We generally go to events that are in Lower and Upper Michigan and being from Wisconsin this is quite unusual, at our last 2 events we have held the "farthest traveled" award. We enjoy going to events in Michigan as compaired to our home state of Wisconsin. We just don't agree with the way that wisconsin events let you log temporary caches and just don't want to be associated with that.

(But that is another post that is being beat with a dead horse) lol

Edited by sweetlife

<snip>

. . . any coins or trackable items in a "coin bag" should only be able to be discovered and not picked up by anyone.

What do you all think about this idea???

Can I provide a different perspective?

Geocoins were “invented” to be trackables which are moved from physical cache to physical cache as part of finding caches.

Yes, they have evolved to also be "collectibles" - but as such are not a real part of your geocaching profile.

Looking at geocoins and icon collecting at Events or otherwise has nothing to do with geocaching.

This part of geocoin collecting should have its own website quite separate from geocaching.com, but funded by it from the revenue they get from selling tracking numbers and icons.

The “Discover” option was a mistake and should be discontinued.

Any attempt to provide a feature for those who want a “super” discover would be a BAD IDEA.

Yes, I collect geocoins.

But any geocoins activated in my trackable profile have been or soon will be sent out to carry out their intended function – to travel.

Now, where did I put that flame suit? :huh:B)

I didnt want to start a flaming hot topic here was just looking at a idea here, I thought this part of the forums was for Ideas to upgrade the geocaching website, In our part of the universe coins and TB's for that matter go missing quite often, I guess we just dont want to release better than $2000.00 worth of coins into the wild.

And I do think that coin discovering is a good part of geocaching, we meet and talk to a lot of new geocachers at events becouse of our collection, and we do print up lists of our tracking numbers to hand out, but others only get them if they actually look at our collection. Not just grab and go. Geocaching is a sport for people of all income levels, some just cant afford to buy geocoins or TB's to send out into the wild, others can. Sharing our collection with others makes us happy and this way others can enjoy looking at the coins and getting some icons.

We also enjoy looking at other collections it lets us see coins that we would like to add to our collection.

Coin Collecting and discovering is a big part of Geocaching at events.

I would rather discover someones coins than go out and find a bunch of temporary caches and not enjoy the event.

just my $.02

I didnt want to start a flaming hot topic here was just looking at a idea here, I thought this part of the forums was for Ideas to upgrade the geocaching website

I don’t want a flaming hot topic either – my reference to flames was meant to be a joke.

I don’t disagree with the feature you are proposing.

I just wanted to suggest that things to do with coin collecting and discovering should have a separate website from gc.com and not be a new feature added to gc.com.

And I do think that coin discovering is a good part of geocaching, we meet and talk to a lot of new geocachers at events becouse of our collection

Fine – but there is already the concept of an Event cache to cover this.

In our part of the universe coins and TB's for that matter go missing quite often, I guess we just dont want to release better than $2000.00 worth of coins into the wild.

As you probably know, this has been raised over and over in the geocoin forum – I didn’t want to cover this again.

Geocaching is a sport for people of all income levels, some just cant afford to buy geocoins or TB's to send out into the wild, others can. Sharing our collection with others makes us happy and this way others can enjoy looking at the coins and getting some icons.

We also enjoy looking at other collections it lets us see coins that we would like to add to our collection.

I agree totally.

I just wanted to suggest that it isn’t “real” geocaching – which I see as restricted to the silly thing we all do rushing out to find tupperware in bushes.

I see geocoins as having two distinct identities now - their original one as travellers and their evolved one as collectibles.

I think that anyone looking at the trackables in my profile should be able to assume that they are travelling or soon will be.

Those in my collection don't appear there.

And that’s my two cents' worth. :blink:

Edited by Bunya

Here is a idea

How about a "coin bag", a place on your profile where you could put all your trackable items in it,

I totally agree with this idea. I too utilize a cache that I never intend to publish to "hide" all my coins in and keep them out of my active inventory.

Having a "coin bag", "purse", or "private inventory" would be a VERY nice addition to the site.

<putting on flame suit>

I would also like to see some way of being able to at least pick up your entire "private inventory" from an event. It would make it much easier to retrieve the items, and would have to cut down on some of the network traffic generated from gc.com with all the retrieval emails and logs.

Here is a idea

How about a "coin bag", a place on your profile where you could put all your trackable items in it,

I totally agree with this idea. I too utilize a cache that I never intend to publish to "hide" all my coins in and keep them out of my active inventory.

Having a "coin bag", "purse", or "private inventory" would be a VERY nice addition to the site.

<putting on flame suit>

I would also like to see some way of being able to at least pick up your entire "private inventory" from an event. It would make it much easier to retrieve the items, and would have to cut down on some of the network traffic generated from gc.com with all the retrieval emails and logs.

Wow, you almost hit this one on the proverbial nail head ;) I too am dreading my first event that I go to with my new collection. Still kind of new to the collecting part of this and have only been to one event, which was the spark that got me collecting in the first place. I too have come to the conclusion that I am not going to release any more coins into the wild… Tired of them getting lost so to speak. I don’t have 300+ coins or anything but if I keep collecting at the rate I am going it won’t be long. I too have made a “Fake Cache” just to dump them in so they don’t clutter up the inventory list.

But I was thinking towards the line of a totally new CACHE TYPE.

<Also grabs for a flame suit>

Kind of a MOVEABLE or MOBILE CACHE. Haven’t worked out all the details even in my mind or how it would work, maybe I’m thinking to simple, but it seems you can make your “Coin Bag/Purse” a cache it’s self and when you take it to an event, the coordinates would follow some how. Then with all your coins/tb’s in one cache, on one cache page you have the option built in already to just click on the ones you want to log and skip the ones you don’t or have already logged from a previous event. Any or all of your coins/tb’s could be available to be discovered, traded, picked up, etc. etc.

The idea of dropping your “BAG/PURSE” into an event is something I never even thought of but I like it a lot. Kind of like “Windows Explorer” Click on a BAG/PURSE that is in an event and it would open up to show all the coins/tb’s that cacher has at the event to be discovered.

Ok, so maybe that’s more than .02 worth but hey, I look at it this way, why not add features to a great site that’s already established? If you don’t want to use them, don’t, but at least let us that do, have that option. I very seldom use the Query Features or even 50% of the other features that are offered, but I know 100’s or others that couldn’t live without them.

I typed this up last night in word and was going to post it, when I saw someone already hit the idea. I'll just cut and paste it...here is my ideas...

I have two ideas that perhaps GC.com could make available to member only or the general public. They both have to do with Geocoins.

First idea…there are a lot of people that collect geocoins that don’t necessarily want to set them free. They want to keep them in their possession and take them to events to share/discover them. The problem is, the geocacher’s inventory shows all these coins along with all the other coins or TB’s that person has in their possession. Right now, I know a lot of cachers get around this by kind of cheating the system and creating a fake cache. This a cache they create, but just don’t activate, enabling them to drop the their collectables. This permits the cacher to keep their coins separate from “wild” coins. It seems like it would be easy to fix by just adding another option to members.

Second idea…this idea stems off the first idea dealing with cachers that collect geocoins. The problem is, lets say there is an event and a geocoin collector wants to bring their coins. If a person has 50+ coins, this would take forever logging each one. I think if there was some way GC.com could make it to where the owner of the coin was able to Drop all coins in a cache and then pick them all up with out having to enter every trackable item.

Oh, I just figured it out. I have one easy solution to fix both problems. This would really add to the whole geocaching experience. And I think it should be added as a membership only feature. As a member you get an account that would be called something like “collectable account” which each member could name just as they would name a geocache. In this account you would put your collectable coins in it. This collection would have some kind of a tracking number that would be associated with all the coins that where put in it. This way, when a cacher goes to an event, they enter this one collection tracking number and all their coins that are in the collectable account go into the event cache. When the person leaves, they enter the one collection tracking number and all the coins go with them. This would also be great because you could make it to where people could discover that person’s collection, the owner could give them that number and the discoverer would get all coin icons in the collection. Maybe make it to where the discoverer has to ask owner for permission first. Where if someone wanted to discover the collection, the discoverer would request to discover the collection, GC.com would send the owner an email and the owner would have to grant permission to let the person discover them…so you don’t have someone passing around your collection number around??

I typed this up last night in word and was going to post it, when I saw someone already hit the idea. I'll just cut and paste it...here is my ideas...

I have two ideas that perhaps GC.com could make available to member only or the general public. They both have to do with Geocoins.

First idea…there are a lot of people that collect geocoins that don’t necessarily want to set them free. They want to keep them in their possession and take them to events to share/discover them. The problem is, the geocacher’s inventory shows all these coins along with all the other coins or TB’s that person has in their possession. Right now, I know a lot of cachers get around this by kind of cheating the system and creating a fake cache. This a cache they create, but just don’t activate, enabling them to drop the their collectables. This permits the cacher to keep their coins separate from “wild” coins. It seems like it would be easy to fix by just adding another option to members.

Second idea…this idea stems off the first idea dealing with cachers that collect geocoins. The problem is, lets say there is an event and a geocoin collector wants to bring their coins. If a person has 50+ coins, this would take forever logging each one. I think if there was some way GC.com could make it to where the owner of the coin was able to Drop all coins in a cache and then pick them all up with out having to enter every trackable item.

Oh, I just figured it out. I have one easy solution to fix both problems. This would really add to the whole geocaching experience. And I think it should be added as a membership only feature. As a member you get an account that would be called something like “collectable account” which each member could name just as they would name a geocache. In this account you would put your collectable coins in it. This collection would have some kind of a tracking number that would be associated with all the coins that where put in it. This way, when a cacher goes to an event, they enter this one collection tracking number and all their coins that are in the collectable account go into the event cache. When the person leaves, they enter the one collection tracking number and all the coins go with them. This would also be great because you could make it to where people could discover that person’s collection, the owner could give them that number and the discoverer would get all coin icons in the collection. Maybe make it to where the discoverer has to ask owner for permission first. Where if someone wanted to discover the collection, the discoverer would request to discover the collection, GC.com would send the owner an email and the owner would have to grant permission to let the person discover them…so you don’t have someone passing around your collection number around??

Yup Yup, see it's not that small of a world after all. Very Good Ideas. As for the Fake Caches that will never get published, yea, I know about 20 people in this area that are doing the same thing, and with the system the way it is, it's the only and safest way to go, and still keep things organized. With todays Techno Savy people out there, I don't see how this could be any harder that things that are going on at the gc.com site now... They took Virtual, Locationless and Web Cam caches away, looks like they could just as easy give one back ;) hehehehe

Oh yeah, a few other ideas I would like to throw out there. I would also like to have the travel bug and the geocoins separate. For example have the option to do a query on Coins OR TB's. Right now you can only query TB and it gives you both TB's and coins. Also on the "my account details" page, when you log a coin, the icon shows you uploaded or downloaded a "TB" (the TB icon that is). I would LOVE to see when you log a coin it show either a generic coin or perhaps the icon of that coin like they just did with the icons on the same page under "my inventory". I know it is petty but I would like to see it....

I dunno ... the idea of discovering a "coin bag", then getting credit for discovering every trackable in that bag sounds like cheating or laziness or both, to me. I mean, if you really discovered the trackable item, then you should have to punch in its number. I would think that icons should require *some* level of effort to acquire ... if you can't be bothered to log a find for each one, then how can you say you really discovered it?

I mean, if you've got a coin collection book and you have the virtual bag number printed on the cover of the book, then I write down the bag number but never open the book, have I really "discovered" the coins in that book?

I realize that if you give me a preprinted sheet of your tracking numbers and I never open the book, then I haven't really discovered them either. But to claim credit for them, I at least have to punch each number in the list one by one ... that requires at least some exertion on my part to reap that reward. Being able to snag 50 new icons with just one tracking number seems ... wrong, somehow. (But if that's how you play the game, then more power to you.)

I can definitely see how it would be VERY convenient to have some kind of "display case" on your account, where you could place your trackables that you want to keep that separates them from those you actively trade.

I would also like to see separate PQs for nearby coins vs. TBs.

Being able to snag 50 new icons with just one tracking number seems ... wrong, somehow. (But if that's how you play the game, then more power to you.)

That is really not how I play it. I can see your point, about logging the coins with out actually seeing them...that is why I said something about having to ask for permission from the owner. And; hey, it was an idea, not saying it was the best, I would still like to see the idea in of being able to place and/or taking your WHOLE collection with one number. The discover portion of it really doesn't matter to me, just thinking out loud.

And; hey, it was an idea, not saying it was the best, I would still like to see the idea in of being able to place and/or taking your WHOLE collection with one number. The discover portion of it really doesn't matter to me, just thinking out loud.

That actually makes a lot of sense ... being able to drop your entire collection into an event, then retrieve your entire collection all at once.

Now this is a feature I would to see. It is easy to drop your collection into an event cache. The difficulty is retrieving your collection, a big collection can take hours to retrieve. Maybe a drop down list off of your trackable page to select all your coins.

Doublestuff

Being able to snag 50 new icons with just one tracking number seems ... wrong, somehow. (But if that's how you play the game, then more power to you.)

That is really not how I play it. I can see your point, about logging the coins with out actually seeing them...that is why I said something about having to ask for permission from the owner. And; hey, it was an idea, not saying it was the best, I would still like to see the idea in of being able to place and/or taking your WHOLE collection with one number. The discover portion of it really doesn't matter to me, just thinking out loud.

I agree I don't think the feature should go to actually discovering the coins but have the feature for the owner of a collection to easily retrieve the entire collection from the event.

Doublestuff

Geocoins were “invented” to be trackables which are moved from physical cache to physical cache as part of finding caches.

Maybe, but who's to say they have to?

Yes, they have evolved to also be "collectibles" - but as such are not a real part of your geocaching profile.

I fully disagree. Why not part of my profile? If I choose to collect coins, then that should be included in my profile.

Looking at geocoins and icon collecting at Events or otherwise has nothing to do with geocaching.

Again, that's just your opinion. And you know what they say about those...

This part of geocoin collecting should have its own website quite separate from geocaching.com, but funded by it from the revenue they get from selling tracking numbers and icons.

Why? Why two sites? Why should I have to bounce back and forth just to log my coin collection?

The “Discover” option was a mistake and should be discontinued.

Any attempt to provide a feature for those who want a “super” discover would be a BAD IDEA.

The Discover option is a GREAT idea and should be kept, and improved upon. (See how opinions vary?)

Yes, I collect geocoins.

But any geocoins activated in my trackable profile have been or soon will be sent out to carry out their intended function – to travel.

Funny, but I fail to see how a Geocoin is "meant" to travel. Now, Travel Bugs, ok, I'll buy that. But, they aren't called Travel Coins, are they?