Handmade Personal Geocoins

tsunrisebey

We received an awesome hand-made petroglyph coin from tsunrisebey, WAAAAY back in March. At that time, we couldn't find a cache around here that seemed appropriate for such a wonderful coin, so we decided that we were going to place a new cache just for "Bear".

We knew where we wanted the cache to be located, but getting people to the area, that was the challenge! The answer, what else??!! A multi-cache!!!!

We started off planning on placing caches that would have represented all of the other petroglyph coins. We found locations for all of these, except one. Then came vacation, and we put the plan on the back burner. We came home from vacation, only to find that the statue at one of the locations that we had intended to use for one of the steps of the multi-cache had disappeared! It had been SOLD!! Now what? Back to the drawing board! More time, more ideas thrown out, more worries of what to do for this coin.

Oh, did I fail to mention that we had actually placed the final cache BEFORE we went on vacation since we knew that that was where "Bear" should be. While we were on vacation, a fellow cacher went hiking, and accidentally found the cache. He emailed us to tell us that he had found it, but couldn't find the publishing for it, and wanted to know what to do about it. We just knew that the "Bear" coin had disappeared before we even had a chance to finish the stages when we got back from vacation. But the Gods were smiling on "Bear". He didn't take it because he didn't have anything to trade for it!

Well, it took us long enough to put out a cache worthy of the beautiful "Bear" coin, and now that we have, we thought that maybe you all would like to read the caches that were placed just for this coin!

In honor of "Bear"

(Thank you so much for all the fun, tsunrisebey!!!)

1). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...da-e41f33329015

2). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...93-11cc88c3b1a3

3). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...91-9cd3c48b38ac

4). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2a-baddd4068d88

(Moderator, I hope that it is o.k. to post this here, as it is actually pertaining to these beautiful coins!) :)

Edited by The Amigos

We received an awesome hand-made petroglyph coin from tsunrisebey, WAAAAY back in March. At that time, we couldn't find a cache around here that seemed appropriate for such a wonderful coin, so we decided that we were going to place a new cache just for "Bear".

We knew where we wanted the cache to be located, but getting people to the area, that was the challenge! The answer, what else??!! A multi-cache!!!!

We started off planning on placing caches that would have represented all of the other petroglyph coins. We found locations for all of these, except one. Then came vacation, and we put the plan on the back burner. We came home from vacation, only to find that the statue at one of the locations that we had intended to use for one of the steps of the multi-cache had disappeared! It had been SOLD!! Now what? Back to the drawing board! More time, more ideas thrown out, more worries of what to do for this coin.

Oh, did I fail to mention that we had actually placed the final cache BEFORE we went on vacation since we knew that that was where "Bear" should be. While we were on vacation, a fellow cacher went hiking, and accidentally found the cache. He emailed us to tell us that he had found it, but couldn't find the publishing for it, and wanted to know what to do about it. We just knew that the "Bear" coin had disappeared before we even had a chance to finish the stages when we got back from vacation. But the Gods were smiling on "Bear". He didn't take it because he didn't have anything to trade for it!

Well, it took us long enough to put out a cache worthy of the beautiful "Bear" coin, and now that we have, we thought that maybe you all would like to read the caches that were placed just for this coin!

In honor of "Bear"

(Thank you so much for all the fun, tsunrisebey!!!)

1). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...da-e41f33329015

2). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...93-11cc88c3b1a3

3). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...91-9cd3c48b38ac

4). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2a-baddd4068d88

(Moderator, I hope that it is o.k. to post this here, as it is actually pertaining to these beautiful coins!) :)

Peggy,

Geez, I forgot to email you back about that, I'm sorry. I read thru those logs and looked at the caches and pics. That was so great and you did an awesome job! Way to make it all so special :) I think I need to evenutally make one more addition to the petroglyph collection. I may even see if I can get Groundspeak to approve it and make it trackable. Very nice and thanks again!

~tsun :blink:

Who remembers this???

Did anyone ever get a set LOL? I only got the one I received for releasing one..

84.jpg

We have never actually ever seen any of these but they look amazing, we have always wanted to see a set or purchase a set but hers are all retired. Have any better pictures, or ones that have them could you please post pictures please, we love to see them :D We were on the list but never was picked to release one. Maybe there is still hope. The Turtle Mountain or Bear is our favorite, :D Edited by sweetlife
sadly thats the best picture i can get. There are pic's located on the original posting link i posted. I too would love to have a set :D thats why I resurrected a dead subject :D
Thank You So Much for bringing this up as we have to share a story on how we become to know Tsun. We met Tsun thru ebay, We bought some beautiful cards that Stephanie had made that were geocaching cards she had made by hand and they are so beautiful, not knowing at the time she was a geocacher. We just figured it was someone who made cards for all kinds of sports or whatnot, asked her is she is a geocacher and that is how we met and started talking with her back and forth to this day we ask her every once in awhile if she will ever make anymore, but she is gotten into coins and I dont think has the time. We love to have her make more to give to friends. Our cards were passed on to our mother which she loves to much. At that time is when I first seen her Petroglyph coins and we immediately fell in love with them and asked her about them but they were retired and at that time as well she wasnt making anymore. We wish she had time to take special orders for these. We would love to cherish a set of these for a lifetime. We have Ojibwa Indian friends that we love to show someday these. We even sent Stephanie last Christmas these Bear decorated home items for her house that had the bear and reminded so much of the Petroglyph. We knew when we seen these she would just love them. We love to see these come to life again.
Here it is, still wrapped safely in it's tissue paper:

coins512sm.jpg

Turtle Mountain, I believe. :D

CF30

Oh My Goodness, It is Beautiful Sarah, Thank You So much for sharing.

Wish we would of known you had one you could of showed us it when we were there to visit with you in St Louis at Thanksgiving weekend. Maybe next time. :D

Here is a picture of the orginal series. The little green turtles shown were given as a token of 'thanks' for dropping the petroglyphs. I believe I only made a total of about 25 sets (125 petroglyphs). There are only 3 people that I know who own a complete set. That project was spendy and took up way more time than I have these days :D The original petroglyphs came in box and had paperwork with them. I think I sent 20 of them overseas and they were trackable on sigitem.com (Marky's site), most were picked up and added to collections as far as I can tell, most weren't even logged.

Joni the ones you have were just special petroglyph projects I toyed around with, no magnets on the originals and the originals were all signed on the back and numbered.

TsunrisebeyPetroglyphSeriesFront.jpg

Tsun you think You would be interested in doing another round of these in the near future? Even tho they have been retired for some time. You have at least a couple here that would be interested in them already right Princeshoko? ;)

Likewise! :santa: (although i truly understand your time constraints!)

Sometimes ya just gotta let something end when it ends. The petroglyphs were special and no need to revive them. There were some requests for petroglyph versions of coins and I venture a guess 2009 will be seeing that Spirit Medicine series of coins I started many moons ago (Sacred Bear, Spirit of Thunderbird, and Big Dog Medicine Shield) they are done (drawings) and they are loosely based on my petroglyph series and probably the will be one of the most meaningful (to me) design compilations I have done. A total Native series that I'm very excited about. It will be interesting to see how they will be received BUT those are a few months out.

Thanks for the compliments on these none-the-less

Edited by tsunrisebey