Handmade Personal Geocoins

tsunrisebey

Congrats to all who got picked. What a great project. :huh:

Tsun - can you tell us how you made these awesome coins? B)

Right now, I'm still working on the first 20 coins and the "micros" for the releasers...........lol. I tried to get my dogs to help me make them but theirs weren't as nice as mine.

It's a very time consuming process (but I enjoy it). Each one I mold by hand, I hand paint and decorate, I paint some more, then I have to go through about 3 stages of coating them so they are protected and glossy. All said and done, each coin has been given about 2-3 hours of attention. I know, I'm crazy.

By the March release date, I am hoping to have 40-50 coins made. 20 of those mailed out and the week prior, I will be taking mini-trips around Montana and making coin drops. I'm also planning on attending the Rocky Mountain Rendevouz, which I'm donating a complete set, and I will probably be dropping off coins in caches on my way there and way home.

Keep in mind, 5 coins = 1 complete set. So 20 coins being mailed = 4 complete sets being released. I'll probably make these on and off through out 2007. I suppose I'll just see how well received these are and play it by ear. I can tell you this much, I'm NOT molding 1,000 of them B)

<<<It's a very time consuming process (but I enjoy it). Each one I mold by hand, I hand paint and decorate, I paint some more, then I have to go through about 3 stages of coating them so they are protected and glossy. All said and done, each coin has been given about 2-3 hours of attention. I know, I'm crazy.>>>>

Do you use clay? Fimo? :huh:

<<<It's a very time consuming process (but I enjoy it). Each one I mold by hand, I hand paint and decorate, I paint some more, then I have to go through about 3 stages of coating them so they are protected and glossy. All said and done, each coin has been given about 2-3 hours of attention. I know, I'm crazy.>>>>

Do you use clay? Fimo? :blink:

The answer to the question has been lost in the wind just like the answers we would like from the ancient ones. :blink: But the most special ingredient added, I can share you with you; LOVE....ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Tsun

All geocachers posted were assigned a number and the state they represent along w/ that number. If a number was chosen and they were from a state already previously drawn, they were removed from the drawing (sorry, wanted diversity here). THANK YOU, everyone who volunteered to release these! So here they are, in the order they were drawn:

Details will be posted on Monday.

CACHER ID * U.S. STATE REPRESENTED * PETROGLYPH COIN YOU WILL RELEASE

#1: The 4 F's * Florida * "Big Dog"

#2: Cinema Boxers * Illinois * "Turtle Mountain"

#3: DWBur * Wisconsin * "Mountain Goat

#4: Anthus * Pennsylvania * "Bear"

#5: Crowesfeat30 * Missouri * "Thunderbird"

#6: Prince Shoko * Tennessee * "Big Dog"

#7: Mauison * California * "Turtle Mountain"

#8: Roboknight * Virginia * "Mountain Goat"

#9: The Amigos * Texas * "Bear"

#10: Toojin&Bart * Idaho * "Thunderbird"

OUTSIDE USA:

Here are CONFIRMED releasers from outside USA:

#11: Australia * Bunya * "Big Dog"

#12: Netherlands * Twin Peaks * "Turtle Mountain"

#13: Nova Scotia, Canada: * Islander1988 * "Mountain Goat"

#14: New Zealand * keewee01 * "Bear"

#15: Ontario, Canada * danoshimano * "Thunderbird"

#16: Luxembourg * baelrati * "Big Dog"

#17: Scotland * Haggis Hunter * "Turtle Mountain"

#18: Norway * smort78 * "Mountain Goat"

#19: Sweden * McLinks * "Bear"

#20: England * Luzian * "Thunderbird"

Excellent news! I feel honored. I will start racking my brain to come up with the appropriate cache to put it in somewhere in the southern half of Wisconsin.

To those of you who have emailed me or posted here wanting to know what the petroglyph series is made from, I will reveal that sometime in mid-August.

The reason for not revealing the technique is that sometimes it is more fun to have a little bit of mystery about how something is created in the beginning. I just want to let them circulate, let people wonder, try and guess, and just enjoy part of the mystery that goes along with the petroglyph idea.

After the Rocky Mtn. Rendevouz, I will share with those who have posted/emailed what they are made of. One of the more special parts about these are not so much what they are made of but what they are painted with :( It's not "paint."

Ok, besides the love ingredient, there is some Montana dirt involved. That's all you get :(

They'll also be trackable on sigitem.com and if things go well, I may get them out sooner than the March 9th date.

:P Would love to get one out in New Mexico, as we have PetroGlyphs right here in the Rio Rancho area where I live. So put me down for the next release cause I missed this post by about a week, and I feel bad not having read it in time. Ok thanks, and congradulations to all those that made it and got a coin, I envy you. Cheers, Mike, W4MK. On another note--

WooHoo today was my #100th find in geocaching! So I am celebrating! :D Found #100 Today Feb. 22, 2007 :D

The cache was called "Between A Rock and a Hard Place" (GCZBCE) Check it out!

Now to start on the next 100 caches! The fun continues... :D:rolleyes:

I am going to be releasing a W4MK Amateur Radio Geocoin soon and was wondering how many "hams" out there would be interested?

I may have to get a better job to pay for postage...........lol.

I am adding 5 more coins (which ='s 1 whole set) to the mix.

Hawaii has come through.

Germany was included

I'm going to pick 2 more people who's state is not represented yet.

I'm also going to pick one from either the BC and Alberta posters (only 1 of the provinces from the people who posted/emailed)

(names in the hat again...)

I will post these additional volunteer releasers sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Seriously, I really appreciate everyone who keeps emailing about releasing a coin but I really must draw the line. I'm throwing my hat away now.......

Here are the other 5 volunteer releasers: With the exception of Hawaii and Germany, the rest were picked from the hat, everyone was added that emailed or posted up to post #67. Congratulations to;

*GPX Navigators * South Dakota * "Big Dog"

*Sillygirl & jrr * Hawaii * "Turtle Mountain"

*SwedenHawk * Germany * "Mountain Goat"

*Quigley Jones * BC, Canada * "Bear"

*GreatHornyToads! * New Mexico * "Thunderbird"

Please send me your mailing address.

Next post should be when I mail the petroglyph series out. Thanks all.

Tsun :rolleyes:

I guess I'm a little too close to QuigleyJones to be considered for this one - only 10 blocks away!

But you can grab it when QJ places it ;)

Since I'm online and replying. There are 5 packages going out on Monday (woohoo). I'm just going to mail out in small blocks since this is more time consuming than I had anticipated.

Wanna know which 5 are releasing petroglyphs first? Head over to sigitem.com, find my petroglyph page and click on the serial #'s. Kinda hard to see the gc id's but they are there ;)

If I'm lucky I might be able to get a few more done by Monday.

Tsun ;)

Here are the other 5 volunteer releasers: With the exception of Hawaii and Germany, the rest were picked from the hat, everyone was added that emailed or posted up to post #67. Congratulations to;

Tsun ;)

Wow - totally cool. I didn't even know. I just was checking to see if you were giving more info on how made and there was our name! What fun. Thank you so much for releasing some mroe. Will email addy! Neat! Yay! Thank you. Can't wait to let it go free!

Ok - move along - nothing to see except Happy Dance. ;)

What fun! Even more so that our last caching trip was to a petroglyph site that has a great thunderbird 'glyph. We're going through our lists to see what is the coolest place to release this coin.

Thanks for the chance to participate.

Tsun <_<

I guess I'm a little too close to QuigleyJones to be considered for this one - only 10 blocks away!

But you can grab it when QJ places it ;)

Since I'm online and replying. There are 5 packages going out on Monday (woohoo). I'm just going to mail out in small blocks since this is more time consuming than I had anticipated.

Wanna know which 5 are releasing petroglyphs first? Head over to sigitem.com, find my petroglyph page and click on the serial #'s. Kinda hard to see the gc id's but they are there :laughing:

If I'm lucky I might be able to get a few more done by Monday.

Tsun :laughing:

I'll be sure to put it in a tough cache.

And I just realized that because Im releasing it I wont be able to find it :D

Speaking of these, I mailed out packages today. Send me a quick note when you get them, make sure everything arrived safely.

The 4 F's

CinemaBoxers

DWBur

The Amigos

Toojin & Bart

Princeshoko

Mauison

Roboknight

Anthus

CF30

Working on the next batch hopefully all will be done by this coming weekend.

Edited by tsunrisebey

We got our coins yesterday.. They are gorgeous.. Now we are looking for a nice cache to place this beauty in hopefully if the weather cooperates we will release it this weekend.. Stay posted .. :P Thanks again!

Team Roboknight

Thank you for the micro coin as well will be great in our collection!!

Thanks for the positive feed back on the petroglyphs from everyone that has received their packages.

The next group of mailings will go out on Monday, the petroglyphs are made, I am just finishing up packaging and the detail work.

After this last group then I will start preparing packages and mailings for the donations/trades/contest winners but I'm going to get some caching in first:D.

Last group of 15 volunteer releasers, Monday (3/5) mailings:

*danoshimano-Ontario

*Twin Peaks-Netherlands

*SwedenHawk-Germany

*keewee01-New Zealand

*baelrati-Luxembourg

*McLinks-Sweden

*Islander1988-Nova Scotia

*Bunya-Australia

*Haggis Hunter-Scotland

*smort78-Norway

*Luzian-England

*QuigleyJones-British Columbia

**sillygirl&jrr-Hawaii

**GPX Navigators-South Dakota

**GreatHornyToads!-New Mexico

Edited by tsunrisebey

Thanks for the positive feed back on the petroglyphs from everyone that has received their packages.

The next group of mailings will go out on Monday, the petroglyphs are made, I am just finishing up packaging and the detail work.

After this last group then I will start preparing packages and mailings for the donations/trades/contest winners but I'm going to get some caching in first:D.

*danoshimano-Ontario

*Twin Peaks-Netherlands

*SwedenHawk-Germany

*keewee01-New Zealand

*baelrati-Luxembourg

*McLinks-Sweden

*Bunya-Australia

*Haggis Hunter-Scotland

*smort78-Norway

*Luzian-England

**sillygirl&jrr-Hawaii

**GPX Navigators-Douth Dakota

So excited... I can't wait to see what they are like in person.

The thunderbird coin for New Mexico came in today's mail. Neat coin, and a nice package overall.

We'll get this out in the wild places soon, possibly even this weekend. Thanks very much for the turtle as well!

*danoshimano-Ontario

*Twin Peaks-Netherlands

*SwedenHawk-Germany

*keewee01-New Zealand

*baelrati-Luxembourg

*McLinks-Sweden

*Bunya-Australia

*Haggis Hunter-Scotland

*smort78-Norway

*Luzian-England

**sillygirl&jrr-Hawaii

**GPX Navigators-South Dakota

We received our package - Big Dog - and let me say that anyone lucky enough to put one out or find one is blessed. These are gorgeous tokens. You can feel the history when you hold them. The workmanship involved in these is what makes them a truly unique and beautiful sig item!

Thank you so much tsunrisebey for including us in this great project and for giving us the opp to share this with our fellow local cachers. Soon as we get more snow melting - and it is doing a great job - we currently have river front properrty - we will get it out in a cache.

Beautiful! Awesome! Great job! :rolleyes: Thank you!!!!! ;)

Edited by GPX Navigators

Package arrived in paradise, all I can say is WOW! I love the mini Turtle Mountain, mahalo nui loa for sending it along with the big one. That package will make someone's day for sure when they find it in a cache. Now to decide where to leave it... The box might be just a tad to big to fit into the cache at our favorite whale/turtle watching spot...

jrr

We dropped the Bear coin in a state gameland cache last weekend. I see two people visited the cache today. I'm not sure which one picked it up for they didn't say. I'm eager to find out which one made it there first. I know one of the two is a coin collector. I'm not sure about the other one.

Thanks for letting me place your coin into the wild fo you!

...Anthus

We are in the process of making a new cache to put this wonderful coin in. We want the person that gets it to have to work a little for it. They will have to really want the coin to get it, but hopefully, they will keep it moving once they've held it, so that others will enjoy it, also.

I'm no longer accepting any more volunteers from other countries because I have confirmed 8 (over half) of the intended releases already. If you are still intereted in a release for your country, please email me, I will put you on a list for future reference.

BC and Alberta, I'm up your way here and there, I'll be personally releasing a few in your area some time this summer.

The other 7 coin releases will be pulled from the hat tonight after 10pm MST. I will post a final listing of all releasers, their location, and what petroglyph coin you will be releasing. Please watch for emails requesting your info.

Thanks again for the interest everyone.

Tsun :blink:

New cacher in Okinawa, Japan. Postage to mail here is the same as to the US, if it matters. Would be thrilled to release as many of these into the wild as you like.

NeroFotia

I'm no longer accepting any more volunteers from other countries because I have confirmed 8 (over half) of the intended releases already. If you are still intereted in a release for your country, please email me, I will put you on a list for future reference.

BC and Alberta, I'm up your way here and there, I'll be personally releasing a few in your area some time this summer.

The other 7 coin releases will be pulled from the hat tonight after 10pm MST. I will post a final listing of all releasers, their location, and what petroglyph coin you will be releasing. Please watch for emails requesting your info.

Thanks again for the interest everyone.

Tsun :blink:

New cacher in Okinawa, Japan. Postage to mail here is the same as to the US, if it matters. Would be thrilled to release as many of these into the wild as you like.

NeroFotia

I will keep you in mind but I believe one of my volunteers may be releasing one in Japan. If they don't I will get in touch with you :o Thank you for the offer.

Tsun.